YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Class etiquette
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

Aotearoa
Posted 2007-04-23 12:13 AM (#83961)
Subject: Class etiquette

Hi all

I'd like to ask all you teachers two questions:

I use perfume in the morning because it's part of my routine and I like to smell nice. Since I don't refresh during the day and the scent wears off rather quickly, I think it should not be noticeable when I start class at 5.30pm. However, I just found a thread on class etiquette and a lot of people wrote about this topic. Would you as teachers feel uncomfortable adjusting a student who might still smell of a bit of perfume?

Another question that sprang to mind: When students sweat a lot but are clean and have a good personal hygiene, do you feel disgusted adjusting their slippery bodies? It depends on the outside temperature but when it's warm out, I feel my body produces quite a bit of sweat during practice. I've always felt conscious of it despite being "clean"...

Please let me know what your experience is.

Many thanks

Aotearoa

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Isola
Posted 2007-04-23 2:22 AM (#83967 - in reply to #83961)
Subject: RE: Class etiquette

I'm not a teacher, but I'll answer anyway.

I'm very sensetive when it comes to perfumes and stuff like that, but I hardly ever react to anyone who put it on in the morning if I meet them at 5-6 pm. If you are nervous that the person next to you is bothered, just ask them.

When it comes to the sweat-thing, I'm pretty sure that the teachers have no problems with adjusting students that sweats heavily. The 5-6 teachers I've encountered all says that sweating is GOOD, it means your burning and detoxifying, so I think they see it as a good thing if you are sweating.

Hope that clears it up a little bit.

Love,
Jenny
Nick
Posted 2007-04-23 2:22 AM (#83968 - in reply to #83961)

Hi there,
Depends on the perfume-'Old spice,' definitely a no-no

Take care
Nick
gogirl58
Posted 2007-04-23 3:23 AM (#83970 - in reply to #83961)

Extreme Veteran

I do Bikram, and I used to burp during the whole downfacing floor postures.( about 15 minutes) I asked a teacher/friend if it was annoying. She said, that of course, people heard it, but that it was part
of the yoga for me so I should not be embarrassed, or worried. It passed in a few weeks.
I think if teachers don't want to adjust sweaty bodies, they should not be yoga teachers, or at least yoga teachers who do hands on adjustments.

It part of the practice to sweat, and its part of being a teacher to handle that.
slowpie6
Posted 2007-04-23 7:33 AM (#83974 - in reply to #83961)

My legs were feeling dry one day so I put on this rich bodyshop cream and went to class only to realize that the smell was really quite potent and released when my legs began to sweat... In fact, after class, one of my neighbors asked me if I was the one that smelled like oranges! At least it was a "nature" smell and not some bizarre chemical scent, but I was still embarassed and will be sure not to use that again. He did not say that it was bothersome, but I think that anything that distracts the senses is an interference to others and may impede their "inward focus"... Which is why I think that a mild scent that is left over from earlier perfume application would not be a problem. I think that the perfume prohibition is more for respect of other students practicing than it is for the teacher adjusting. So if there is a slight odor that can only be noticed when someone is very close to you (like the teacher adjusting you) but not by someone practicing next to you, then it shouldn't be a problem. That's what I think anyways.

But as for sweat, I really don't think anyone should feel uncomfortable about this. I used to as well, because I've never done any activity that made me sweat as much as ashtanga does. However, I've found that the teachers at my studio generally have no problem at all with this, do not hesitate to touch any drippy body parts - and in the case of one teacher, who presumably is less comfortable with the wetness, she's devised ways to do her adjustments that prevent her from getting doused in the student's sweat. For example, she always spreads a rug or blanket on the students back before leaning on them to assist them in poses like baddha konasana or paschimottanasana. The bottom line is that sweat is a natural and uncontrollable reaction to the asana practice, and short of apply antiperspirant to your entire body (by God, please don't!) it will happen, so the teacher is the one who needs to overcome whatever may bother them about that, I think. As someone else said, if they don't like it, they should choose to teach without hands on adjustments.

sp
tourist
Posted 2007-04-23 10:17 AM (#83986 - in reply to #83961)

Expert Yogi

Jessica - it really depends on how much perfume someone uses. There are those people who emit a wafting cloud of scent everywhere they go. You know - you can smell them a minute or so before they even come into the room? If you put on enough perfume so you can smell it yourself all day long or if you can stick your head into your closet and all of your clothes smell of your perfume, it may be too much. If people comment on your scent just being close enough for a conversation - too much. If they comment on it after giving you a hug - just right. But I think most folk who spritz on a bit first thing in the morning probably don't emit much by the end of the day. Definitely asking your mat neighbour in class will get you an answer for sure.

I do hesitate to adjust women with too much scent or anyone who smells of sweat, tobacco or pretty much anything. I am not allergic as far as I know, but if it is strong enough to make me automatically recoil, I think I will pass on my bad vibes to that person and I don't want to do that. I also consider it my own problem, not theirs, so I don't make a big deal of it.

I did have a student with a LOT of lotion on her legs once, and it didn't smell as I recall, but my hands nearly slipped when I tried to adjust her. That was funny...

Some of the best conversations I had about this in a class was when we established a scent free class for someone who had serious problems with it. We announced it in our other classes and students were surprised, since all of our classes are "supposed to be" scent free. A few of the regulars surprised themselves when they sniffed their own shirt or arm and found they smelled more of perfume than they thought they did.
Aotearoa
Posted 2007-04-23 5:17 PM (#84010 - in reply to #83968)

Nick - 2007-04-23 2:22 AM

Hi there,
Depends on the perfume-'Old spice,' definitely a no-no

Take care
Nick

Hi Nick et al

Luckily, I've never met a woman who used Old Spice. I may be spicy, but certainly not old.

Thanks everybody for your advice. I'll bear it in mind for my next class on Thursday and might go without my favourite fragrance for a change.

Thanks a million

Aotearoa

Posted 2007-04-23 6:15 PM (#84012 - in reply to #83961)

Hmmm, guess my old supply of British Sterling, Hai Karate and Jade East (stored in the attic with my leisure suits) wouldn't be welcomed either--man, yogis are a judgemental lot.
tourist
Posted 2007-04-23 8:03 PM (#84016 - in reply to #84012)

Expert Yogi

No, not judgmental, dear Bruce. It is just that we have purified our bodies and senses to such a degree that we are like incredibly sensitive electronics or exquisitely delicate hot house flowers And I gather none of us would do well with the aromas of India

....but I do have some hauntingly wonderful memories of British Sterling, I think.....

Posted 2007-04-23 10:45 PM (#84020 - in reply to #84016)

Tourist: "....but I do have some hauntingly wonderful memories of British Sterling, I think....."

I bet you do you rascalette--and fuzzy memories from Boone's Farm.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-04-23 10:50 PM (#84021 - in reply to #83961)

My experience in my classes:
See ===>

Aotearoa - 2007-04-23 12:13 AM

Hi all

I'd like to ask all you teachers two questions:

I use perfume in the morning because it's part of my routine and I like to smell nice. Since I don't refresh during the day and the scent wears off rather quickly, I think it should not be noticeable when I start class at 5.30pm. However, I just found a thread on class etiquette and a lot of people wrote about this topic. Would you as teachers feel uncomfortable adjusting a student who might still smell of a bit of perfume?

===> Yes. I would want my student to avoid the perfume if possible.

Another question that sprang to mind: When students sweat a lot but are clean and have a good personal hygiene, do you feel disgusted adjusting their slippery bodies? It depends on the outside temperature but when it's warm out, I feel my body produces quite a bit of sweat during practice. I've always felt conscious of it despite being "clean"...

===> No if they are clean and not smelling bad, I shall feel very wonderful if they are profusely sweating because of their own body wanting to sweat, not because the room is heated.

Please let me know what your experience is.

Many thanks

Aotearoa

Nick
Posted 2007-04-24 1:50 AM (#84034 - in reply to #84010)

Hey,
The worst thing about working in health clubs? Becoming acquainted with men's choice of deodorant and perfume in the changing rooms. Now, the gay men are very good at choosing products which don't smell awful. But the hetero's definitely need to go to classes in finding the right scent Once you start mixing up one hideous smell with another, It's not nice-it's like you are drowning in a vat of 'Lynx.'
What's funny over the years that i have been in health clubs is that it is now acceptable to spend more time prettying yourself up-which isn't a pretty sight, when you see some fat balding middle-age man pretending they look like Jonny Depp as they anoint themselves naked in front of the mirror-it really is pathetic. And the size of men's washbags is now huge for all the roducts which don't work-they still look like saps after they've spent about about 30 mins (probably more time than they spend in the gym) 'beautifying' themselves.
Sorry folks, just woke up and had a bit of a rant-you can see this erosion of men has affected me deeply

Nick
Orbilia
Posted 2007-04-24 4:51 AM (#84038 - in reply to #84034)

'S ok, Nick, the chemist'll be open soon so you can go get a new can of Lynx for the Ladeez

Fee
Nick
Posted 2007-04-25 8:28 AM (#84152 - in reply to #84038)

Orbilia - 2007-04-24 9:51 AM

'S ok, Nick, the chemist'll be open soon so you can go get a new can of Lynx for the Ladeez

Fee

Hi Fi,
Guess what was sitting on the counter of the men's changing room when I walked in this morning? Lynx and hair pomade

Nick
Orbilia
Posted 2007-04-25 9:22 AM (#84159 - in reply to #84152)

Oh dear, another rant-fest this morning then, hun?

Go on, you can tell me, what *do* you do/use grooming-wise? What is the in-thing for the real hard-man in the new millenium? Or should I post that question under Iron Man yoga?

Fee
Nick
Posted 2007-04-25 9:27 AM (#84160 - in reply to #84159)

Hi Fi,
First of all, I'd like to say that if I was more good-looking, I would probably make more effort As it is, water is the main grooming ingredient Together with some Molton brown shower gel (it would drive you to distraction ), and some dental floss. No point in spending money on grooming products, tens of thousands of pounds wouldn't buy the necessary plastic surgery

Take care
Nick
Hehet
Posted 2007-04-25 7:56 PM (#84204 - in reply to #84159)

LOL

Orbilia - 2007-04-25 8:22 AMOh dear, another rant-fest this morning then, hun? Go on, you can tell me, what *do* you do/use grooming-wise? What is the in-thing for the real hard-man in the new millenium? Or should I post that question under Iron Man yoga? Fee
Hehet
Posted 2007-04-25 7:59 PM (#84206 - in reply to #84160)

Nick has me in stitches

Nick - 2007-04-25 8:27 AMHi Fi,First of all, I'd like to say that if I was more good-looking, I would probably make more effort As it is, water is the main grooming ingredient Together with some Molton brown shower gel (it would drive you to distraction ), and some dental floss. No point in spending money on grooming products, tens of thousands of pounds wouldn't buy the necessary plastic surgery Take careNick
Orbilia
Posted 2007-04-26 4:44 AM (#84228 - in reply to #84206)

Molton brown? Wow, now that is a surprise. shows how much things have changed...... Iron Man yogis used to use axle grease when I was a gal *LOL* That and Brut in industrial quantities that is.

Of course, your post also begs the plea for photos *wg*

Fee
Nick
Posted 2007-04-26 5:22 AM (#84230 - in reply to #84228)

Hi Fi,
Yeah, but you like 'em rough
Nick
oh, and I was given the molton

Edited by Nick 2007-04-26 5:28 AM
SCThornley
Posted 2007-04-27 12:06 PM (#84384 - in reply to #84012)

Bruce - 2007-04-23 6:15 PM

Hmmm, guess my old supply of British Sterling, Hai Karate and Jade East (stored in the attic with my leisure suits) wouldn't be welcomed either--man, yogis are a judgemental lot.

this is one of the reasons some of us don't venture out much.
ollie
Posted 2007-04-27 12:26 PM (#84392 - in reply to #83961)

Hmmm, since I do my morning class after swimming, I tend to reek of chlorine.

Eau-de-pool????
mishoga
Posted 2007-04-27 4:03 PM (#84432 - in reply to #84160)

Expert Yogi

Nick - 2007-04-25 9:27 AM
No point in spending money on grooming products, tens of thousands of pounds wouldn't buy the necessary plastic surgery

Take care
Nick

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahah
hahahahahhahahhahhahahhahhaahhahhahhahaha
I hope you are crackin one here
tourist
Posted 2007-04-27 7:07 PM (#84446 - in reply to #84392)

Expert Yogi

ollie - eau de chlorine. Sounds much more Frenchish Since my spouse was a triathlete and spent innumerable hours in the pool and my kids swam competitively, that particular fragrance also brings back memories. Not the same ones of British Sterling, but memories nevertheless.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)