YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Depression
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga for Stress ReliefMessage format

srik11
Posted 2007-04-25 6:06 AM (#84137)
Subject: Depression

Iam suffering with Depression since last 10 years. Iam not able to concentarate on any thing. Iam not able to understand the others' words at first time itself. I used to ask once again for understanding properly. There is no use with english medicines. Now Iam using hoemeo madicines. Can I able get relief from yoga. Which one is better for me Pranayama or meditation?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-04-25 8:23 AM (#84149 - in reply to #84137)
Subject: RE: Depression

srik11 - 2007-04-25 6:06 AM

Iam suffering with Depression since last 10 years. Iam not able to concentarate on any thing. Iam not able to understand the others' words at first time itself. I used to ask once again for understanding properly. There is no use with english medicines. Now Iam using hoemeo madicines. Can I able get relief from yoga. Which one is better for me Pranayama or meditation?

In this case: the advice has to be totally personal and private. There is no capsule answer. But, a proper Yoga practice can help you. But, it is not the practice which you are instructed by an instructor, and not the practice which the instructor himself/herself do, but it is the practice which you yourself will actually do that shall help you. It is not the practice which you shall study or read, but the one which you actually do.

Posted 2007-05-15 11:42 PM (#86363 - in reply to #84137)

Am I to understand that you are not a yoga student but are contemplating beginning a practice of yoga?

srik11 - 2007-04-25 3:06 AM

shalamOM
Posted 2007-05-16 4:12 PM (#86450 - in reply to #84137)

Depression has a very heavy kaphic quality. In this case a more active practice, maybe ashtanga or a vinyasa flow class would be most appropriate. I would not spend much time in sitting meditation. It would also probably benefit you to go to a class rather than practice in solitude.

For anxiety conditions a slower still practice would be more beneficial. For depression intermixed with anxiety, the practice would have to be active, yet still.

ginkgo
Posted 2007-05-19 4:33 AM (#86737 - in reply to #84137)

I read about a woman with depression who tried yoga. It did so well that she became a yoga teacher. So it can help. A great meditation is better than pranayama. The site below has a great short article about meditation called WHAT IS ENLIGHTENMENT. An MD says that during meditation your breathing and heart rate are slower than when you are sleeping so it creates a unique physiological state.

Depresssion can be caused by not enough B vitamins. It can also be caused by an overgrowth of candida albicans. A brain tumor can also cause it. This site on Depression Self Help has a lot of good information on it.
Bob
Posted 2007-05-19 10:57 PM (#86795 - in reply to #84137)

As a first step, I would recommend you running on a nature (park, garden, around a lake and so on). There is a danger that during meditation you will be bombed by bad thoughts more intensively than during regular life.
majesticyoga
Posted 2007-10-26 11:06 PM (#98726 - in reply to #84137)

I've battled depression for most of my life, and yoga was my first attempt at self-treatment, so to speak. It was successful for me, but like others have said, it's an individual thing. You mentioned traditional medicine is of "no use." Does that mean you've tried it and it hasn't worked, not interested in trying it, or that it isn't available? My experience is, the hardest part was to get up and start my practice. Once I've started, it was better. This is why going to a class rather than practicing in solitude might be more beneficial for you. If you have never practiced yoga before, I definitely encourage you to attend a good class. If the first one doesn't appeal to you, don't give up. Try a different one, and keep trying until you find what's comfortable for you. My best to you, and good luck.
Namasté
yogabond
Posted 2008-03-30 10:35 PM (#105654 - in reply to #84137)

I've also felt this way and martial arts and yoga both helped turn my path around. The physical exertion helps a lot. I also supplement with St. johns wart. Although some think it is bull**** I feel that it works well.
layogi
Posted 2008-09-30 10:45 PM (#111136 - in reply to #84137)

try jesse peterson's meditation tape... 1-800-411-bond. it's a simple meditation that helps you become aware of negative thoughts so that they dont consume you anymore. i've been doing it along with my yoga and it's really helping a lot i feel so much better.
Oz1
Posted 2008-10-17 10:49 AM (#111429 - in reply to #84137)

Dear srik11,

Depression is a natural process of negativity and stress. It is not a disease. It is normal for your concentration skills to decline, for language and communication skills to deteriorate. Medicines are only effective in cases of severe depression. The only way to deal with depression in the long term is either to change your external environment or internal environment (perception) -- usually one environmental change carries over into the other.

But now that your internal environment is one of depression and cognitive decline, you should focus on changing your external environment. Get involved socially and physically. Yoga is great and you can combine it with meditation. I have written an article on meditation and depression on my web site as well:

http://www.meditation-techniques-for-happiness.com/meditation-and-depression.html

Sincerely,
Oz

Posted 2008-10-17 5:36 PM (#111433 - in reply to #84137)

Unless it is severe clinical depression, most depression is best treated by exercise. Vigorous asana classes or less vigorous asana classes together with daily brisk walks will help depression. Exercise stimulates the production of endorphins which provide a feeling of well being. Since it is better for depression to do active things with other people than quiet things by yourself, asana classes are much better than meditation.

If short-term depression is caused by the death of a loved one or whatever, that is normal and natural. If you have ongoing depression without any reason, you have a chemical imbalance in your brain. This can be treated by medication (drugs), but that will only change the chemical balance as long as you take the medication and anti-depressants are expensive and have side effects. More exercise and active social activities with others will help without side effects. Sitting around thinking about it will only make it worse.

People with active life-styles are seldom depressed. People with passive life-styles are often depressed. Two of the biggest medical problems today in America are depression and diabetes. Both are chemical imbalances often caused by poor eating habits and lack of exercise.

One part of depression is going over the past in your mind, over and over. This usually makes you depressed and afraid of the future. It helps to actively let go of your attachment to the past; the positive as well as the negative. Only then can you start actively living in the present without the ghosts of the past haunting you and making you depressed and fearful.

If you are taking anti-depressants, talk to your doctor about getting off them. For many people anti-depressants taken for a short duration are helpful, but it is best to (once you are stabilized) find a long term solution such as exercise and therapy. It is usually better to, whenever possible, deal with internal imbalances (chemical or otherwise) with life-style changes instead of external interventions such as drugs or surgery. Depression is a mental illness caused by a chemical imbalance in your brain. If you have it, it should be treated. Seek professional advice from a variety of sources. If your preferred treatment does not work, try another. You don't need to live with depression.
Oz1
Posted 2008-11-02 12:48 PM (#111733 - in reply to #84137)

Just a comment to Rexall and cognitive-behavioral stress reduction (CBSR): In recent studies mindfulness-based stress reduction has proven to be significantly more effective than CBSR for depression, anxiety, and pain. There's increasing evidence that accepting pain has more beneficial effects than trying to control it. CBSR focuses on judging, controlling, and changing thoughts while mindfulness accepts every thought and judges no one.

In general...

Depression, negative emotions, anxiety, pain... They are all subjective experiences, and should be viewed with mindful, moment-to-moment awareness. Depression is essentially adaptation meltdown -- an inability or unwillingness to cope with change. It is a time to let go of goals and illusions of purpose, and see life for what it is: Incessant, uncontrollable change. For good and bad. When you accept the negative emotions and see through the flawed label of "depression" you may be surprised to find a greater love for yourself and those around you than you ever could imagine. Love the mind and body you're in, in good times and bad, and all other close relationships will follow.
Oz1
Posted 2008-11-03 4:16 PM (#111756 - in reply to #84137)

Aloha Rex,

Yes, you are right about adaptation meltdown being too general a term to describe a subjective experience such as depression. And there's not enough space here (or words in general) to describe any emotion. I want to show you something and I hope it's okay that I post these 2 links:

http://www.meditation-techniques-for-happiness.com/meditation-for-depression.html

As you see from the first link, and if you will excuse my words, depression is becoming a "global meltdown." I haven't written it on my Website because it's out of bounds in regards to what I'm writing about, but if you pair global depression with global economic meltdown and possibly huge climate change on top of it, you'll have a pretty exciting scenario...

Add mindfulness, love and compassion to that scenario, and you'll have a beautiful situation where the human species returns to nature and the things that truly matter. Add the opposite -- mindless fear, anger, and distress, and you'll have, well, a quite different scenario.

And if you look at what happens inside of a brain in case of severe depression --

http://www.meditation-techniques-for-happiness.com/depression-and-the-brain.html

-- You'll see how long-term stress kills brain cells, communication, and co-operation within the brain. Compassion does the exact opposite, as shown in fMRI studies of both mindfulness and compassion meditation (I don't want to add any more links to the Forum, might be seen as promoting some sort of personal agenda...). So you see how fascinating the similarities are between the big picture and the little picture inside the brain?

It's simple, beautiful, and extremely logical. Yet when we're dealing with mindfulness and compassion there's so much interaction going on within the brain and between the human being and his/her external environment that science may never fully capture it. I'm highly science-oriented, but ultimately science can't connect all the dots. Science is too concentrated -- mantra-oriented, if you will. And happiness, the by-product of long-term compassion and mindfulness, is beyond what science can accurately measure. Like you implied, words can only capture a crude, simplified version of any subjective experience, and yours will always be different than mine.

All right, I'll stop myself there. Human destiny and the future of our species seems a bit far off topic here. I see Srik11's original thread was about stress relief with yoga. Sorry for derailing your thread, Srik. Best wishes
debbiew8182
Posted 2009-04-05 1:00 PM (#115212 - in reply to #84137)

amy wientraub's book "yoga for depression" is great. I highly recommend it as a starting point.

A good yoga practice includes pranyama, asanas, and meditation.

I wish you well on your journey. Yoga definitely saved my life.

yoga4brandon.com
health & wellness
Posted 2010-06-14 4:45 AM (#123490 - in reply to #84137)
Subject: Re: Depression

In order to start any classes or to fight with your depression, just try to understand what are the reasons that your are feeling like this? Remember, that medicine, even homeopathic medicine, cannot help you to resolve your problems, but only will block them. You need to understand your feelings and to find the key problem and only than focus on it. Yoga can help you with it.
jollybriston
Posted 2011-02-24 10:53 PM (#202818 - in reply to #84137)

The only way to deal with depression in the long term is either to change your external environment or internal environment. One part of depression is going over the past in your mind, over and over. I think meditation and Yoga are the best way for it.
rubertnrubert
Posted 2011-07-28 7:59 PM (#208987 - in reply to #84137)

Depression is not good for health. Depression come because of mental pressure. If we are thinking of our sad and bad past then come in to depression. So come out from it we should not think about past. Think about present. Enjoy your life. Do yoga and meditation. Keep walking and do exercise.
Dacite
Posted 2011-08-16 9:13 AM (#209066 - in reply to #208987)

Regular

The best antidepressants are little kittens or puppies, they are full of joy one cannot ignore. Spend time in volunteering in sanctuary or adopt a pet.
shanwallan
Posted 2011-08-19 8:02 PM (#209087 - in reply to #84137)

Depression is not good for health. This is the main decease in the Depression comes because of the mental pressure. If we are considering our past sad and bad, entering depression. So come on it we should not think about the past. Think about this. Enjoy your life. Doing yoga and meditation and you have to do exercises regularly.
shanwallan
Posted 2011-08-19 8:21 PM (#209091 - in reply to #209087)

Depression is not good for health. This is the main decease in the Depression, It comes because of the mental pressure. If we are considering our past sad and bad, entering depression. So come on it we should not think about the past. Think about this. Enjoy your life. Doing yoga and meditation and you have to do exercises regularly.
EddieChatwin
Posted 2011-09-01 7:18 PM (#209148 - in reply to #84137)

Yoga positions commonly recommended for depression are sun salutations, shoulder stand and relaxation position. The benefits of practicing Hatha yoga far outweigh any other forms of alternative therapy in treating depression.
rexall
Posted 2011-09-01 8:10 PM (#209151 - in reply to #84137)

It is these kind of unsubstantiated, unsubstantiatable, over-generalizations, opinions-presented-as-fact that give yoga a "flaky" reputation in some circles. Too bad! Sigh! :-(

Edited by rexall 2011-09-01 8:14 PM
jpg
Posted 2011-09-07 3:46 PM (#209183 - in reply to #84137)

While exercise in general can help mild depression, If one suffers from moderate to severe depression, professional help should be sought.

Yoga does not cure any specific diseases. It does, however, improve the immune function, improve mood, lower blood pressure, lower stress, lower cholesterol, build stronger bones and muscles, improve balance and generally improve one's health and well-being. Yoga is a good way to avoid the need for medical care. It is not a substitute for medical care, once it is needed.

KirkBenoit
Posted 2011-09-13 3:27 PM (#209220 - in reply to #84137)

New User

Reducing the burden of mental illness and behavioral disorders through research on mind, brain, and behavior. Depression ... also to those who care about them. Try a easy sport for health and work well,so to be overtired for night sleep.
billnclinton
Posted 2011-09-17 8:19 PM (#209244 - in reply to #84137)

Depression can be prove fatal for health and it is as injurious as smoking is for health.It can be reduce or eliminated by regularly performing regularly at morning and it is very beneficial.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)