YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How to loss weight?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga for Weight LossMessage format

willrussel
Posted 2007-04-28 9:40 AM (#84498)
Subject: How to loss weight?

Ok I am 32 years old and I am over weight. (5'10" 126 Kg)

I tend to eat when I am depressed, nervous or just bored. I hate the way I look and I want to lose this weight.

What have I done to correct this?
Early this year I joined 24 hour fitness (a gym in my area). I hired a personal trainer 3 times a week who put me on a diet also. I would have to say I was 80%+ on the diet and worked out with the trainer 3 times a week (1 hour sessions). I busted my butt and put 110% effort into this. After 1 month I had only lost 2 Kg. My trainer said it was because I gained muscle mass but I saw little to no change (physical appearance in the mirror). This month with gym fees and personal trainer sessions cost me $5000 (give or take). It’s **** too costly!

I want to loss 40 Kg. I think about losing weight 10 times a day at least. I try to cut out bad foods but as I said before I eat when bored, depressed, or nervous.

What can I do? Am I just meant to be fat?

PLEASE HELP ME!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kingsley
Posted 2007-04-28 10:22 AM (#84503 - in reply to #84498)
Subject: RE: How to loss weight?

Hi ,

$5000 per months is quite a lot but having a personal trainer is very good. He is right after one month you can’t see big changes. I suggest you to check out local online health club at www.wellness-100.org You will get some good training routines for you from them. Just let me know.

Good luck, do not give up and keep us posted.
joscmt
Posted 2007-04-29 8:29 AM (#84536 - in reply to #84498)

I've been in your shoes before.. PM me for more info.. Glad you posted here!
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-04-29 9:05 AM (#84541 - in reply to #84498)

willrussel - 2007-04-28 9:40 AM

Ok I am 32 years old and I am over weight. (5'10" 126 Kg)

I tend to eat when I am depressed, nervous or just bored. I hate the way I look and I want to lose this weight.

What have I done to correct this?
Early this year I joined 24 hour fitness (a gym in my area). I hired a personal trainer 3 times a week who put me on a diet also. I would have to say I was 80%+ on the diet and worked out with the trainer 3 times a week (1 hour sessions). I busted my butt and put 110% effort into this. After 1 month I had only lost 2 Kg. My trainer said it was because I gained muscle mass but I saw little to no change (physical appearance in the mirror). This month with gym fees and personal trainer sessions cost me $5000 (give or take). It’s **** too costly!

I want to loss 40 Kg. I think about losing weight 10 times a day at least. I try to cut out bad foods but as I said before I eat when bored, depressed, or nervous.

What can I do? Am I just meant to be fat?

PLEASE HELP ME!

Gee 5000 in a year. Then surely you can spend on travelling to me. Come here and we shall see what I can do. I promise not to charge you more than 200.
jonnie
Posted 2007-04-29 2:36 PM (#84575 - in reply to #84498)

That's an awful amount of money for very few results!

You may want to consider a life coach (instead of a gym coach) who can help you explore some of the underlying issues that are causing you to experience these feelings of boredom, depression and nervousness.

A useful reading resource is Bob Greene's 'Total Body Makeover'. He is on Oprah quite a lot (which may encourage you to run towards or away from the book ) and really focuses on the unconcious emotional eating issues.

Personally, I follow Patrick Holfold's Optimum nutrition program. Even if that does not appeal, I strongly recommend taking the food intolerance tests and cutting out completely any of the foods that you test positive to. That one act may have an incredible effect on you.

Jonathon
ginkgo
Posted 2007-04-29 8:02 PM (#84606 - in reply to #84498)

Maybe you should try something which will help you save money like the lemonade diet or lemonade fast. Beyonce lost 20 pounds in 10 days using it. Robin (Howard Stern's assistant) lost 72 pounds with it and this is the first time in years that she feels comfortable with her body. If she eats the way she used to, she will gain it back. Or she can change her diet and keep it off. It is her choice. Here is an article about it: Lemonade Diet Article. Here is a site about the Lemonade Diet.
Isola
Posted 2007-04-30 7:25 AM (#84633 - in reply to #84575)

I agree with Jonnie.

Something that has helped me is not to think that I need to lose weight because I'm fat and ugly, but that I want to be and deserve to be healthy and feel good about myself because I'm a good and special person.

I hope you find something that works for you!

Love,
Jenny
Isola
Posted 2007-04-30 7:29 AM (#84634 - in reply to #84606)

ginkgo - 2007-04-30 2:02 AM

Maybe you should try something which will help you save money like the lemonade diet or lemonade fast. Beyonce lost 20 pounds in 10 days using it. Robin (Howard Stern's assistant) lost 72 pounds with it and this is the first time in years that she feels comfortable with her body. If she eats the way she used to, she will gain it back. Or she can change her diet and keep it off. It is her choice. Here is an article about it: Lemonade Diet Article. Here is a site about the Lemonade Diet.

You have got to be kidding? Everyone who knows anything about how the human body functions and what it needs knows that lemonade diets and other "one kind of food"-diets does more harm than good. It's not good to lose 20 pounds in 10 days, I can't even begin to imagine the stress that causes to all the systems in the body.

You don't gain weight over night, you can't expect to lose it over night. One of the keys to losing weight is to realize and accept that it will take time. Shortcuts just don't work.
Orbilia
Posted 2007-04-30 9:03 AM (#84643 - in reply to #84634)

I'm so pleased you addressed the last post, Isola..... I was struggling to find the words!

Fee
jonnie
Posted 2007-04-30 12:50 PM (#84657 - in reply to #84498)

agreed.
SCThornley
Posted 2007-04-30 2:43 PM (#84671 - in reply to #84498)

one of the greatest things that make a big difference, IMO, is to stand up straight, and smile, shoulders back.

Start by walking, everyday

then, eliminate all white foods--flour, sugar

then, eliminate soda (replace all drinks with water)--yes even diet soda

then, eliminate all packaged foods--especially those evil diet foods that are sweetened with artificial sweeteners

ULTIMATELY, YOU must move more and eat less, it's really that simple.

Stay away from it if it comes in a bag or a box or a jar or if someone prepares it for you....

work for your food

Don't make excuses, make it happen

Water and whole foods and more exercise

This will probably be a lifestyle change, make it permanent
shalamOM
Posted 2007-04-30 9:21 PM (#84694 - in reply to #84606)

ginkgo - 2007-04-29 8:02 PM

The Lemonade Diet is so out . The new fad right now is the Master Cleanse. I know a young woman who does it periodically and she went from normal weight to downright anorexic.
OptiMystic
Posted 2007-05-01 5:00 PM (#84796 - in reply to #84498)

"80%" on the diet? Giant red flag. Once you set a diet, you are either on it or not. When you go off it, how do you know what % you are off? This is the pot calling the kettle black, BTW. I am a yoyo dieter big time because I hit a goal and give myself a "little" freedom.

As others have said, it is simple physics - burn more than you consume and you lose weight.
rcosta
Posted 2007-05-03 10:35 AM (#85054 - in reply to #84498)

Over the years my weight has fluctuated, and I have found that I always looked the best and felt the best when doing yoga as apart of my daily routine. While yoga obviously was not intended as a means to physical fitness, it definately benefits the body while still bringing that stillness into our practice. But what I found to be the most important thing for me was that, the more I did yoga, the more I "fell" into the calmness and blissfulness that it brings. Eventually, your not doing yoga for weight loss, your doing it to maintain that serenity that starts to echo in the rest of your life. So, when you let go of the expectations and the caos in the mind, your body starts to let go of the weight. I think then that diet follows, as the better your feel phsyically (in terms of health, not necessarily weight), the better you feel emotionally and the more likely you are to make healthier choices. Its almost as if you dont chose to diet, the diet choses you. So, overall, I would say that you should keep up with the walking and other fitness for weight loss if you want, but i would practice yoga with the intent of self-transformation and I believe the rest will follow suit.
Jester
Posted 2007-05-08 5:26 AM (#85530 - in reply to #84498)

Speaking from non-yoga experiance.
Also, bare in mind that this is coming from someone who has absolutely never had to make any effort to lose weight and therefore doesn't know what you've gone through.

1: Replace eating with something else you enjoy.
It doesn't have to be walking, but it'd be oh so good if it could be walking. The fact is though that if you choose watching bad tv soaps, you're still better off than if you're eating.

The point is that if you stop eating and don't replace it with something, you're going to feel worse. You'll lose your crutch and most likely take up a worse habbit to replace it. So do something else enjoyable, and chances are if you don't like your weight, eating isn't that enjoyable anymore, so do something to make you feel good that doesn't pack on the pounds.

You will be hungry. You will need to eat.
The goal should be to eat _less_ without going hungry. It doesn't have to be nothing, just less, and less until you're on a healthy diet. - Consult a doctor before trying, they'll either tell you I'm right or barking mad.

2: Do the right exercises. I personally focus on strength building so I can't advise you too well, on what to do. Only that hitting the gym and doing great compound exercises like the bench press probably wont do you much good. A walk and some fresh air will do you much more good.

There is an important principle to follow in any exercise you do and that is to make sure you're doing the right exercise to achieve your goal.

3: It is important to note that if you're burning more than you are taking in, you will lose weight. For this to have any effect (for anything to have any effect) you must have consistancy. Make sure you are enjoying it.

You're doing this for you, so research what it is you're doing so you will know just how good it is for you, before long you will feel good walking and eating healthy because it's something for you, to help you towards your goal. It's not a sacrifice because what are you sacrificing? Foods that make you upset 10 times a day?

To summarise.

Do the best exercises for you.
Burn more than you take in.
Be consistant.

This wont see you drop 40kg this year, but it will see you get to a weight you feel good about within the next couple of years.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-05-08 10:41 PM (#85620 - in reply to #85530)

Jester - 2007-05-08 5:26 AM

Speaking from non-yoga experiance.
Also, bare in mind that this is coming from someone who has absolutely never had to make any effort to lose weight and therefore doesn't know what you've gone through.

1: Replace eating with something else you enjoy.
It doesn't have to be walking, but it'd be oh so good if it could be walking. The fact is though that if you choose watching bad tv soaps, you're still better off than if you're eating.

The point is that if you stop eating and don't replace it with something, you're going to feel worse. You'll lose your crutch and most likely take up a worse habbit to replace it. So do something else enjoyable, and chances are if you don't like your weight, eating isn't that enjoyable anymore, so do something to make you feel good that doesn't pack on the pounds.

You will be hungry. You will need to eat.
The goal should be to eat _less_ without going hungry. It doesn't have to be nothing, just less, and less until you're on a healthy diet. - Consult a doctor before trying, they'll either tell you I'm right or barking mad.

2: Do the right exercises. I personally focus on strength building so I can't advise you too well, on what to do. Only that hitting the gym and doing great compound exercises like the bench press probably wont do you much good. A walk and some fresh air will do you much more good.

There is an important principle to follow in any exercise you do and that is to make sure you're doing the right exercise to achieve your goal.

3: It is important to note that if you're burning more than you are taking in, you will lose weight. For this to have any effect (for anything to have any effect) you must have consistancy. Make sure you are enjoying it.

You're doing this for you, so research what it is you're doing so you will know just how good it is for you, before long you will feel good walking and eating healthy because it's something for you, to help you towards your goal. It's not a sacrifice because what are you sacrificing? Foods that make you upset 10 times a day?

To summarise.

Do the best exercises for you.
Burn more than you take in.
Be consistant.

This wont see you drop 40kg this year, but it will see you get to a weight you feel good about within the next couple of years.

This is fantastic!!!
redrox
Posted 2007-05-09 5:57 PM (#85750 - in reply to #84498)

I tell people all the time that diets don't work. (And I lost 45 lbs and have kept it off for about 2 years so far) When you say you are going ON a diet, or someone puts you ON a diet, that implies to me that you are tacitly agreeing to go OFF the diet at some point. There are two parts to being at a healthy weight. Losing excess weight to begin with and then the part that nobody wants to focus on, maintaining that healthy weight for the rest of your life. This only works when you come to the realization that you aren't going to go ON a diet, but that you are going to CHANGE your diet. That means you have to find a dietary program that supports your long term health and activity levels and is SUSTAINABLE for the rest of your life. And it may or may not mean eating "less". It usually does mean maximizing nutritional value for calories consumed and becoming what I call a "calorie snob". When you eat the right kinds of foods, you can often eat "more" whereas simply limiting calories to unreasonably low levels only causes your metabolism to adjust accordingly and will be ultimately be self defeating. Our bodies are complex and wonderful things and terribly self-adapting. But lots of good advice from many here.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)