YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tingling, electric sensations?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Meditation -> General MeditationMessage format

AmericanYogi
Posted 2007-05-01 10:52 PM (#84820)
Subject: Tingling, electric sensations?

Hello all,

A couple of questions about meditation.

I have always noticed that I have been able cause a tingling sensation throughout most of my body at will. It is a really strange feeling, almost as if I can feel low voltage electrical current running through my legs and lower abdomen. When I do this (mostly out of curiosity and to experiment with it to see if I can make it “travel’ in a certain direction, etc) the sensation is most pronounced in my legs.

If I try to move the sensation upward in my body, a couple of things happen:

First, my testicles seem to rise up into the skin in the lower abdomen (crotch area) followed simultaneously by my anus tightening. Both of these sensations are involuntary.

Secondly, my abdomen starts to tingle and starts to pull in similar as is described above.

Accompanying these sensations is a feeling that these areas are going to collapse from weakness. But at the same time this is happening in my lower body, my upper body stiffens and the crown of my head rises up erect.

My breathing becomes shallow and slightly erratic.

Now take into account I have been doing this at will before I ever decided to start meditating. I have been meditating for about a month in a formal group with an instructor, and although the instructor says to go inside your body and find a place that is serene, etc, I have been practicing trying to make more of the ability to feel this sensation.

The thing is, I also have had the ability to have a blank mind for several seconds at a time even before I started meditating. I would do it for fun because it is such a weird feeling to have no thought – nothingness for even three seconds. It is hard to describe but a good analogy might be that “silence can be deafening”. Even though my mind is “quiet” and without thought, there is “white noise” that is just “nothing” and doesn’t disturb me, but I kind of know it is there in the background.

Can anyone please share any experience they may have had that are similar or explain what it is I am feeling? Also, based upon what I describe, is there a certain “type” of meditation that I might be predisposed to?

In terms of reincarnation and such, is it possible I have meditated before? Might I be describing a certain type of meditation technique?

Lastly, I have been instructed to pull my anus in and pull my abdomen towards my spine while doing some asanas. This instruction is very similar to the sensation I get when I “play” with this ability to feel (what seems like) every nerve in my lower body.

I am sure I have raised more questions then I originally intended.

Oh, and my background is that I have been practicing yoga regularly for 3 months now.

Thank you for your advice and thoughts in advance.

Joe
Top of the page Bottom of the page
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-05-01 11:40 PM (#84824 - in reply to #84820)
Subject: RE: Tingling, electric sensations?

Sounds like you can move energy within your body at will. Having had similar experiences, I strongly suggest you find a teacher well versed in energy bodywork to help guide you through understanding this ability you have. I would think a Kundalini teacher would be appropriate here as well.

Oh, and to clarify, you need to find someone to work with individually, not in a class setting. The instructions you received in class are for those who do not have your apparent ability. Working to compound that ability on your own, without a teacher's knowledge of what you already can experience, could lead to undesirable results.

Good luck and hope this helped!

Edited by OrangeMat 2007-05-01 11:45 PM
AmericanYogi
Posted 2007-05-02 12:40 AM (#84827 - in reply to #84820)

Thank you for your response. I wasn't sure what type of response I would get to my inquiry. Thanks for sharing that you have also had similar experiences.

I live in New York City. Do you (or anyone else reading this) know of a reputable kundalini instructor in NYC that might helpful to me?

And thanks for pointing out what I was feeling guilty about - doing my own thing during meditation. I Think you are right. I need to find someone or some style of meditation that is in line with my apparent predisposition.

Joe
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-05-02 6:17 AM (#84844 - in reply to #84827)

Offhand, I know of Golden Bridge in Manhattan, but by name only. Maybe if you contact that studio, they'd be able to help connect you to someone.

The person that has helped me is not a kundalini teacher, but someone who has studied the chakras extensively and has done many shamanic trainings. The teacher you eventually hook up with has to be the right person for YOU personally. I knew it instinctively when I first met my mentor, and at that time wasn't consciously looking for guidance. I'm guessing (and hoping) that a similar connection will be found for you as well.

You're fortunate that you're in NYC, lots and lots of opportunities in this area (I'm close by as well, in northern NJ). If you have more specific questions, feel free to PM me.

kulkarnn
Posted 2007-05-02 7:46 AM (#84853 - in reply to #84820)

Dear AmericanYogi: If you are doing what you described, no doubt you have done it in the past life as well. However, what you are doing is NOT meditation. If you think it is meditation, you are on wrong path.

I just completed my 4 hour workshop and the DVDs will be out next week. See the clips on the You Tube, if you wish.

Best Luck
AmericanYogi
Posted 2007-05-02 9:22 PM (#84999 - in reply to #84820)

Orangemat,

I went to the website, and I must say, that it was not for me. I appreciate and respect your help (please don’t stop offering), but I have to be true to myself and I know that it would be too great a leap for me to accept what I saw on the first page of the link you provided (a woman with hairy armpits and a fortune tellers hat).

If achieving samadhi is a higher “consciousness” without physical form and unrelated to our physical “skins”, then I have to question why someone would go to such lengths to have such a “physical” appearance.

Please tell me there is some other avenue than kundalini to exercise this “thing” I experience…..

Joe

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Neel,

Greetings,

If it is not meditation then what is it and where does it “fit” in the world of yoga? If I am concentrating on this energy, am I not concentrating on one thing? The “nothingness” I mention is probably best described as external background noise that I “turn the volume down” on, until there is just a unintelligible low hum or “white noise”. My mind is completely blank (or so I believe), and several seconds of this (which is the most I can do without a thought popping into my mind) is like a 20 minute nap (refreshing).

If this is not meditation, then in which thread should I be asking about this?

Thank you both in advance.

Joe

P.S. You have to excuse my making light of the kundalini website. I am told I have quite a sense of humor. That is why my screen name is AmericanYogi. I could never dress up like that or give my money to anyone that dressed up like they were going trick or treating. I almost cracked a rib laughing. It was a sorely needed laugh.

My point is, are we going for a physical “look” with yoga, like karate, with different colored belts? I mean is she at the “jiffy-pop” level or something?

I’m sorry I can’t help it…. there I go again. I am a by-product of the old John Belushi days of Saturday night live. I’m afraid I will never be able to meditate again. I can picture it now--- I’m trying to quiet my mind and this image of her keeps levitating in front of my minds eye……..

Well, at least my musings should get their website a lot of “hits”. I really apologize. I just can't resist. The visual is just too funny...
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-05-02 10:52 PM (#85001 - in reply to #84999)

AmericanYogi - 2007-05-02 9:22 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Neel,

Greetings,

If it is not meditation then what is it and where does it “fit” in the world of yoga? If I am concentrating on this energy, am I not concentrating on one thing? The “nothingness” I mention is probably best described as external background noise that I “turn the volume down” on, until there is just a unintelligible low hum or “white noise”. My mind is completely blank (or so I believe), and several seconds of this (which is the most I can do without a thought popping into my mind) is like a 20 minute nap (refreshing).

If this is not meditation, then in which thread should I be asking about this?

Dear AmericanYogi: I am not worried about which thread you put this post in. Yes, you are not concentrating on one thing. See your post. You are concentrating on many a things. And, your purpose of playing with the energy flow is not clear. What is the purpose? In the world of Yoga, it is called 'extra ordinary ability', also called vibhuuti. They do come without notice and can also be used for the goal of Yoga which is self realization followed by liberation. But, in general, they can lead to taking one away from that goal.
AmericanYogi
Posted 2007-05-03 1:42 AM (#85010 - in reply to #84820)

Dear Neel,

I use the word “playing” with it because I don’t “understand” it. I don’t know what to “do” with it. It is an unusual and strange sensation that I haven’t shared with others because it sounds well, kind of crazy.

However, after practicing yoga for 3 months, I feel I have found a forum in which I am comfortable to describe it without worrying about what others may say or think.

I am a “beginner” in all of this, and I’m trying to be open-minded as I continue my practice. I’m afraid I’m a “meat & potatoes sort of guy, so I am out of my element in yoga, but I am trying. I am trying because I do feel I have some connection to yoga. But I think my needs are towards a more “traditional” and “reserved” approach to it. I don't mean an orthodox approach, I mean “simple” (no bells and whistles). I am not big on chanting (other than AUM/OM and our daily prayer at our mission) or group hugs. But I’m working on it.

I am 45 years old and just started yoga 3 months ago. So lets just say I’m not that flexible. However, I have made good progress in 3 months. But there isn’t a day I wake up that I don’t have pain initially. My lower back is my Achilles heal. I haven't suffered an injury there, it's just my weak spot. I like starting my home yoga practice on the floor, seated and lying down. It opens my back and makes the pain go away like magic. Then I can do standing postures without the stiffness and pain that I would have if I started with let’s say sun salutations.

So now I’m doing my yoga backwards. I’m not starting with sun salutations. Does this mean I can never attain “perfection” (assuming that was my only transgression)?

I think of myself as a lifelong student. I can be happy just being a “good” student. If there is more meant for me then it will be if it was meant to be. I really don’t desire more than just being a “good” student. From what I have seen so far, anyone who can become a good student has already achieved more than most people on this earth.

Okay, so I guess we’re back to the “purpose” of my playing with this ‘thing”. I can only repeat what I say above: I use the word “playing” with it because I don’t “understand” it. I don’t know what to “do” with it. So I “play” with it.

I figure if I concentrate on it and try to control it or move it, etc, then I will come to “understand it”. Maybe it will lead to something else ?

It would be nice to have the experience of someone who understands it and can help me cultivate it, because it could be important to me as a student of yoga.

One last thing. Considering the tremendously complicated and full life of a 21st century modern day yogi, it is quite depressing to look at the lifestyle and goals of yoga and think that one can attain anything close to those ideals unless you have practiced it from a young age and it is the equivalent of your full-time job.

This is why my goal is to be a “good” lifelong student.

Thanks for your input.

Joe
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-05-03 6:30 AM (#85016 - in reply to #84999)

Hi Joe,

I read your response when I got home late last night, but didn't have the energy to respond. If you look at my post where I gave you the link, I said that maybe someone from that community could connect you to someone capable of helping you, not that you join that community itself. Sorry if the subtlety of my suggestion got lost in the shuffle. I never meant to suggest that you become a kundalini student. But, from my own personal experience, the ability you have is related to kundalini energy, and the people there would know better than I as to how you should proceed.

I could just as easily ask my mentor for someone for you to work with, which I guess would be the next step, but I don't know if that would really help. My teacher/mentor is the proper person for me, but how could either of us know who would be the right person for you?

The main point of my post with the link was that you have to go to different yoga communities, take a class here or there, interact with the people there and hopefully someone else's energy will strike you as the appropriate teacher for you. The saying is "when the student is ready, the teacher will come". I'm saying put yourself in a position that you come in contact with people who could potentially be your teachers. I hope you understand now why I gave you that link. I could've easily given you links to tons of other studios in the city, but you can google just as a well as I can, I'm sure.

Another thing: the ability you have is generally regarded as something to be kept secret and private. I'm not exactly sure why, but for the 5+ years I've had my awareness, I'd never told anyone about it because I somehow knew it shouldn't be shared with just anyone either. You're relatively new; I was "playing" with it for several years before I met my teacher, totally unaware of the repercussions until more recently. I guess I look at it as something much bigger than oneself, if that makes any sense. If it's bigger than you, you shouldn't really mess with it if you know nothing about it. Kinda like teasing a huge drowsing lion (serpent would be a better analogy though); eventually it will awaken for real and will have a mind of its own.

Hope this cleared things up for you a bit.

OrangeMat
Posted 2007-05-03 6:52 AM (#85017 - in reply to #85001)

kulkarnn - 2007-05-02 10:52 PM In the world of Yoga, it is called 'extra ordinary ability', also called vibhuuti. They do come without notice and can also be used for the goal of Yoga which is self realization followed by liberation. But, in general, they can lead to taking one away from that goal.

Thank you for explaining this so clearly, Neel. I see now that this word "vibhuti" is the name of the third chapter of Patanjali's sutras, which my sacred text teacher has alluded to as dealing with the "super powers" that can be achieved through the practice of Yoga. I get the impression he has no intention of teaching us about all that, maybe because it is too advanced? Personally, I never knew that this ability or awareness was in any way connected to Yoga, especially since for me, it all started before I began any sort of practice. But now the pieces are all falling into place, in spite of having come out of order.

kulkarnn
Posted 2007-05-03 7:23 AM (#85020 - in reply to #85010)

AmericanYogi - 2007-05-03 1:42 AM

Dear Neel,

Okay, so I guess we’re back to the “purpose” of my playing with this ‘thing”. I can only repeat what I say above: I use the word “playing” with it because I don’t “understand” it. I don’t know what to “do” with it. So I “play” with it.

I figure if I concentrate on it and try to control it or move it, etc, then I will come to “understand it”. Maybe it will lead to something else ?

===> Yes, it will lead you away from the goal of Yoga.

It would be nice to have the experience of someone who understands it and can help me cultivate it, because it could be important to me as a student of yoga.

===> Yes, this should happen in person, not through internet.

One last thing. Considering the tremendously complicated and full life of a 21st century modern day yogi, it is quite depressing to look at the lifestyle and goals of yoga and think that one can attain anything close to those ideals unless you have practiced it from a young age and it is the equivalent of your full-time job.

===> On the other hand, 21st century provides many a things which old times did not have. Using them can be of advantage. And, that is exactly what I wrote before: In 21st century we got many vibhuutis - special abilities, ex: flying over the sea using an airplane, and we are using it for wrong purpose.

This is why my goal is to be a “good” lifelong student.

Thanks for your input.

Joe

AmericanYogi
Posted 2007-05-03 10:13 AM (#85043 - in reply to #84820)

Orangemat, Neel,

Thank you for your replies. I'm sorry that my sense of humor got the better of me yesterday. Thanks for not holding it against me. I did try to modify my post, but I found out that you can only modify a post within 30 minutes of posting it.

I will pm both of you later today. Thank you for your responses.

Joe
TigerTurban
Posted 2007-05-03 10:18 AM (#85045 - in reply to #84820)

Kundalini, an Italian Dish?
Definition: kundalini (k¢n´de-lê´nê) noun of Hindu origin. Physical and sexual energy that lies dormant at the base of the spine is activated through esoteric kundalini practice. This energy is directed through the kundalini channel in the etheric body upward to the top of the head.

tourist
Posted 2007-05-03 10:37 AM (#85055 - in reply to #85045)
Subject: RE: Tingling, electric sensati

Expert Yogi

Joe - you embody one of my favourite types of yoga students I love seeing middle aged men in class who look like truck drivers or cops, who are significantly inflexible, who seem to eschew all the outer trappings of yoga, but come to me after class and ask about their breathing or tell me they have been practicing some small aspect of yoga for years on their own. It is a bit like getting a beautiful gift wrapped in a crumpled paper bag Since you have a great sense of humour, I hope you don't mind being described as a crumpled paper bag

I see how that photo could be off-putting. I wonder if it was calculated or accidental.

Good luck finding a teacher. As OM says, if you make yourself available, a teacher will appear. Of course, you are close enough to pop down and see Neel, which I would highly recommend.
AmericanYogi
Posted 2007-05-03 1:32 PM (#85075 - in reply to #84820)

Tourist,

I don’t mind the description at all. It is what it is. I suspect that you are seeing this because my generation really did not entertain things like yoga or holistic health (or if they did, they were outcasts, hippies, pinko commies, etc you get the idea).

It was a western mind mentality.

Today, however, is a different story. My 6 year old daughter does yoga every Thursday for half an hour in her 1st grade class (public school).

As for popping down and seeing Neel, that would depend more on Neel than me. If he believed he could help me, I would make the trip. I don’t want to invite myself.

He has 4 dvds coming out next week which he thinks I might benefit from. I will order them and see if I feel a connection to him. Regardless, I am sure that the dvd’s will help with my meditation. I really have no “foundation” at his point and any competent instruction would be welcome.

Joe

-----------------------------------------------------------
TigerTurban,

Very good. But I think I better restrain myself.

Joe
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-05-03 2:37 PM (#85084 - in reply to #84820)

BTW: If you come, and if it is possible, bring your 6 year old daughter also. In my current TT, one 3 year old has been coming for all sessions. You shall see her in the 4th DVD throughout. She is already chanting Sutras better than an adult.

She is not TT, her mom is.

if she is benefitting, an AmericanYogi like you should definitely will. Also, you shall a get Chai which you will find difficult to obtain elsewhere.

tourist
Posted 2007-05-03 6:59 PM (#85115 - in reply to #85084)
Subject: RE: Tingling, electric sensati

Expert Yogi

Joe - you are just enough younger than me (I am 51) to have missed some of the cool hippie-dippieness. Or maybe it is just that I am from the west coast - we sometimes call BC British California Go and see Neel. It will be great
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-05-04 8:14 AM (#85161 - in reply to #85084)

kulkarnn - 2007-05-03 2:37 PM

BTW: If you come, and if it is possible, bring your 6 year old daughter also. In my current TT, one 3 year old has been coming for all sessions. You shall see her in the 4th DVD throughout. She is already chanting Sutras better than an adult.

She is not TT, her mom is.

if she is benefitting, an AmericanYogi like you should definitely will. Also, you shall a get Chai which you will find difficult to obtain elsewhere.

Hey Joe: I thought I shall add this picture which shows that girl who was sitting the same way for 1 hour.

(for yogacom.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments for yogacom.jpg (42KB - 91 downloads)
AmericanYogi
Posted 2007-05-04 2:03 PM (#85200 - in reply to #84820)

How adorable. She appears to have the ability to sit for long periods. I think she is a natural. How much of the challenge in meditation is sitting for long periods?

Joe
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-05-04 4:31 PM (#85209 - in reply to #85200)

AmericanYogi - 2007-05-04 2:03 PM

How adorable. She appears to have the ability to sit for long periods. I think she is a natural. How much of the challenge in meditation is sitting for long periods?

Joe

She is Mayan from Guatemala. NO more details. Otherwise, I shall get spanks from her mom.
Bob
Posted 2007-05-07 3:21 AM (#85423 - in reply to #84820)

Based on my experience, I think that these feelings predominantly related to blood vessels reactions and, probably, changing of sensitivity of the skin. I had these (may be similar?) feelings when I tried to get emptiness in the mind using mental tension (I tried actively fight with thoughts). Although I could get mind emptiness for relatively long period (up to 1 min), this state was gradually accompanied increased tingling and later burning. It is interesting, that burning predominantly spread along energetic meridians.

I also think that the play with these feelings is not good idea. It is a way to a dead end and can give your problems with health. For example, I frequently felt hyperexcitation and irritation. Using Chinese explanation, I got excessive Yang in the body and mind.

Edited by Bob 2007-05-07 3:30 AM
TigerTurban
Posted 2007-05-07 11:10 AM (#85459 - in reply to #84820)

Meditation must not be thought of as something that is done only in a physically rigid state far removed from the world of work and play. The goal is to become meditative continuously so that your very being becomes cosmically conscious, permanently and irrevocably.
gmbhd
Posted 2009-08-25 11:06 PM (#117917 - in reply to #85010)
Subject: Re: Tingling, electric sensations?

This has been exactly what I've been looking for! Whats being expressed by the intial comment. What is this feeling? As I write this I can cause a physical sensation to about my hips. It is, for a lack of a better description, pleasurable. When I lay at night and begin to relax I can generate this sensation throughout my body. I can maintain it for a while but it is never longer than a minute before having to stop. Then immediatly after ceasing I can do it once again. I asked a physician quiet a long time ago and he gave me a vague answer that did not help in anyway. I just would like some help with my ability, what is it?
Meditation & Unity
Posted 2010-05-25 3:44 AM (#123114 - in reply to #84820)

I have heard of people literally goes 4 inches above from surface while performing Meditation but I never heard of these kinds of sensation while performing Meditation.

I guess this sensation is happening due to our body surface is reacting to thoughts running in our mind.

AmericanYogi!
My Meditation Guru-Unity can surely help you in this situation. He visits NY couple of times in a year and his schedule is never planned, note my email id(dorothyhamillton@yahoo.com). Whenever he is visiting NY next time I will information you.

Edited by Meditation & Unity 2010-05-25 3:46 AM
PapaMehh
Posted 2011-10-19 9:29 PM (#209375 - in reply to #84820)

New User

Hey Joe,

I can relate to what you're going through. I have noticed that I can cause that "tingling/energy/vibration" sensation as well since I was less than 10 years old. I didn't make a fuss out of it, until now (26 years old). Out of sheer boredom I became curious what the hell it's all about. I can make the feeling happen almost anywhere in my body (for some reason I can't do my feet).

Anyway, I am a psychotherapist by profession, and also a student of Gestalt (this form of psychotherapy involves a lot of bodily-sensation-- e.g. our "feeling thing"), so I know a good amount of therapists that are open to this "weirdness". Anyways, I have been sharing this about myself to all the older therapists that I know. They all have been very encouraging to keep exploring it. What struck me about your writing is the word "playing with it." That's EXACTLY the words I use, and therapeutically speaking, it has been encouraged greatly. You and I should continue to play with it (no sexual innuendo intended). One of the older therapists that I spoke to about this works a lot with "energies", whatever that is. Her belief is that everything is a vibration, including energies, and that you and I are very fortunate to have a closer than usual relationship with this.

Kundalini Yoga seems to deal with this directly. My feeling is strongest at the base of my spine. How about yours? According to Kundalini, the source of this "life force" or whatever, originates there, and their practice involves moving it all the way to your head. Supposedly as we do this, the "life force" rips through the chakras, cleansing them. The eventual result is a higher state of spirituality (aka enlightenment). I'm really just spitting back the information that I read. I know nothing of this, and I am at the same place of understanding this as you are.

One poster mentioned that you ought to be careful to make sure that the teacher matches you. In other words, avoid someone's dogma that does not fit you. THIS IS EXACTLY what one of my older therapist teachers told me. Honestly, I was thinking for a second that she wrote that post...

Anyways, guys... It seems like we're in the same boat with this. Let me know if you find out something new about this, or if you have any questions. I do want to find myself a decent personal teacher for this. I hope we can help each other.

-Adam

Edited by PapaMehh 2011-10-19 9:36 PM
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)