YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

beginner winsor pilates dvd
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> PilatesMessage format

techgirl
Posted 2007-05-11 1:16 PM (#85998)
Subject: beginner winsor pilates dvd

Is this an appropriate beginner dvd set?

http://www.amazon.com/Winsor-Pilates-Workout-Accelerated-Sculpting/dp/B00077BD7A

and is amazon.com a good place to buy (they are only sold through Marketplace sellers) or where else online do you recommend?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
belle vie
Posted 2007-05-12 1:15 PM (#86070 - in reply to #85998)
Subject: RE: beginner winsor pilates dv

Veteran

Welcome to the forum You have asked a very important question but I need to know more about your present workout routines before giving any useful answer. Are you in good physical shape, workout regularly, have you tried Pilates before?

I am not a pilates teacher but have done pilates for 3 years on and off-- it works for me but you must have proper instruction especially at the beginning or you risk injuries, especially to the back. Believe, me I know, fortuneately, I did no serious or long term injury to my back.

I would say a beginning beginner needs a class-- if not -- an instructional video that spends a lot of time on correct posture and movements. They can be very difficult, but ,produce results at the same time but it will take a while to learn the basics before going on to any accelerated anything The instructional phase took me three months before I could move on. But then, perhaps, I'm slow

Good luck
techgirl
Posted 2007-05-16 2:40 PM (#86439 - in reply to #85998)
Subject: RE: beginner winsor pilates dvd

Thank you for your response!

I tried a class at the gym last week and I really liked it. I am planning on attending again this week. I'm in pretty good shape, I exercise regularly. I started running 3-4x a week in February. I used to do more strength training but I haven't lately, mostly just the running but I want to incorporate pilates into my exercise regimen.

One more question, what's the difference between a pilates mat and a yoga mat?

Thanks!

belle vie
Posted 2007-05-17 1:36 PM (#86495 - in reply to #85998)
Subject: RE: beginner winsor pilates dv

Veteran

Hi, techgirl glad you found a gym for pilates. Good to know you are not new to exercise Be sure the instructor talks about the difference between neutral posture and flat back and also the position of the head and chin to avoid neck injuries. There is a discussion here under general fitness on the neutral posture that may be helpful.

As for mats, I use regular mats I buy at a sports store for both. I need two mats-- i have a very boney bum If there is a difference, i do not know what it is ,--that is about mats not bums. Keep at it!!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)