YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

running and yoga
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> General FitnessMessage format

bredmond812
Posted 2007-05-16 12:36 PM (#86417)
Subject: running and yoga

Ok, so i hate running, right? right.

What is it about running that i need so badly that i cant get with asana and pranayama?

Doesnt it make my muscles tighten up? Doesnt it make my asana practice more difficult?

Thanks in advance

B Redmond
Top of the page Bottom of the page
OptiMystic
Posted 2007-05-16 1:40 PM (#86428 - in reply to #86417)
Subject: RE: running and yoga

Some things I like about running...

The constant change of scenery.

Simple measurable goals of distance and/or time.

I run where I have uphill and downhill stretches with some uneven surfaces so I work different muscle groups and have to pay attention to balance.

I often run a set distance with no breaks and it is easy to stay on track and get the most out of it when I do that (sometimes I catch myself turning a pause into a daydream doing yoga).

HIIT is fairly simple to incorporate into a running regimen and HIIT is the only thing I know of that has been clinically proven to drastically increase metabolism reliably.

Fresh air, sunshine...

I stretch before and after running and generally run only 2 or 3 miles and it doesn't tighten up my muscles too much. The HIIT sessions do have some muscle tightening for a few hours when I really push it (and if you don't push it, it's not really HIIT), but I only do HIIT every now and then.
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-05-16 1:58 PM (#86431 - in reply to #86417)

You told you that you should run in the first place? You don't want to run, don't run. Walk, bike, swim, do something else. For me, running makes my body happy. Swimming makes it miserable. So I run, I don't swim.

Your body was meant to do things, so use it in a way that makes all of you happy. Rest is also "doing something", so make sure you do that too.

Happy doing!

jonnie
Posted 2007-05-16 2:25 PM (#86436 - in reply to #86417)

bredmond812 - 2007-05-17 8:36 PM

What is it about running that i need so badly that i cant get with asana and pranayama?

Doesnt it make my muscles tighten up? Doesnt it make my asana practice more difficult?

Thanks in advance

B Redmond

Hi Brandon,

If you hate it, don't do it!

I can't speak for your practise, though running makes 'my muscles' tighten up, so i don't do it either.

Tight muscles don't make an asana practise more difficult. A person's ego that believes they should be more flexible than they are and so therefore pushes themselves harder than they should, makes an asana practise more difficult...

Jonathon
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-05-17 12:49 PM (#86478 - in reply to #86417)

bredmond812 - 2007-05-16 12:36 PM

Thanks in advance

B Redmond

I like your avatar.
bredmond812
Posted 2007-05-17 1:33 PM (#86492 - in reply to #86478)

kulkarnn - 2007-05-17 9:49 AM

bredmond812 - 2007-05-16 12:36 PM

Thanks in advance

B Redmond

I like your avatar.

Thanks. On another forum, one that is much more...macho....than this one, someone advised caution about using certain behavior or else the mod would change all our avatars to hello kitty. So i just changed mine. After that , everybody did the same either to Hello Kitty, or the Care Bears, or something silly like that. I thought it was kind of funny so i kept it.
bredmond812
Posted 2007-05-17 1:36 PM (#86494 - in reply to #86431)

OrangeMat - 2007-05-16 10:58 AM

You told you that you should run in the first place? You don't want to run, don't run. Walk, bike, swim, do something else. For me, running makes my body happy. Swimming makes it miserable. So I run, I don't swim.

Your body was meant to do things, so use it in a way that makes all of you happy. Rest is also "doing something", so make sure you do that too.

Happy doing!

Well, nobody told me explicitly, but i heard that there are three components to a balanced exercise program according to modern research: cardio, flexibility, and strength. (of course diet wasnt mentioned, but it should be). Anyway, i just wanted to get cardio in there somehow, or some substitute that builds this 'requirement'.

In fact, i had one yoga instructor say that cardio was not necessary. Any thoughts on that anybody? Did i post that already somewhere else? I dont remember...
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-05-17 2:32 PM (#86503 - in reply to #86494)

bredmond812 - 2007-05-17 1:36 PM but i heard that there are three components to a balanced exercise program according to modern research: cardio, flexibility, and strength. (of course diet wasnt mentioned, but it should be)

Actually, I look at it as there being five components (in no specific order): cardio, flexibility, strength, diet and nutrition. So yeah, the what food you eat as well as how much of it matters too.

I've also heard that cardio isn't important, from a yoga source as well. I think there are shades of interpretation to that statement, that it's not so cut and dry. Cardio is necessary to burn off excess calories taken in, so with the proper intake of food, according to ayurveda, cardio could be seen as unnecessary. The niyama of tapas deals with creating heat and perseverence, which is closely related the endurance and calorie burning effects of cardio. An active asana practice, if that's how you choose to practice, could include a cardio element as well.

Point is, I believe the reasons behind needing the cardio element in your life as already included in the eight limbs of yoga, just not explicitly described as such. But don't ask me, I run because I tend to be kapha and need more movement in my life, and I tend to overeat when left to my devices. But understand it's the running that I need, not just any old cardio, because of how running itself affects me.

So, hope that made some sense. I think it's best to look at the big picture of who you are and how you operate, and then look to the yogic "rules" to decide what's best for you to do.

jonnie
Posted 2007-05-17 2:58 PM (#86504 - in reply to #86417)

If you want to work your heart, spend 10 mins in headstand each morning.

Jonathon
devanterylee
Posted 2012-04-16 3:17 PM (#210373 - in reply to #86417)

Running is very good Exercise, it is reduce fast weight loss, It increases flexibility and strength of our body. yoga is best Exercise for fitness.
DeborahM
Posted 2012-04-17 3:45 AM (#210384 - in reply to #86417)

New User

Running and Yoga are one of the best exercise routine that you should add on your lifestyle and those exercise can really help you lose your weight and stay fit.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)