YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

---
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> General FitnessMessage format

megs_tsb
Posted 2007-05-29 7:50 AM (#87663)
Subject: ---

I was wondering if yoga could help with painful bulging disks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
dmbones
Posted 2007-05-29 9:55 AM (#87666 - in reply to #87663)
Subject: RE: bulging discs

Hi Ed,

Welcome! If it's you with the painful bulging discs, sorry.... On the other hand, philosophically, we don't get tests we're not capable of handling, so this is another opportunity for personal growth.

How old are you, Ed? Did this condition come on suddenly, by trauma; or gradually from aging degeneration? Is the pain just in your back, or does it travel into the arms or legs? How long has it been going on? And what are you currently doing for relief? for treatment? When is it the worst for you?

Any other information you could offer would be helpful in response. Generally, yoga as body exercises (asanas) requires a certain level of physical profficiency, particularly for weight-bearing postures. But restorative postures, resting in aligned positions propped to relieve discomfort, coupled with breathing consciously, can be helpful during acute or sub-acute spinal pain. But, generally, yoga practice is more appropriate for long-term health gains, than acutiy relief.

What else can you tell us, friend?

Michael

Posted 2007-05-30 2:47 PM (#87859 - in reply to #87663)
Subject: RE: ---

Hello Ed,

I'll try not to repeat Michael's reply though he has crafted a response that would closely mirror my own. So I'll take another approach to your question - and assume you will reply as Michael requests so we may more specifically reply to you.

There is a protocol for working with disc issues in yoga therapy. It is not "send said person to yoga class. Therefore this should not be confused with the statement "yoga is good for bulgingin discs" as that statement is lesss than accurate. Likewise "yoga should not be done with a bulging disc" is equally inaccurate.

It is, then, the actual protocol of "work" that is employed that is up for examination.
I bring this up in this way because I was just talking to a friend who has an L5 protrusion.
And she said, "You're right! I really should stretch more." to which I had to point out that yoga therapy for this sort of thing is NOT AT ALL stretching. There is some stretching within it, however.

So the short answer is "yes" the proper yoga protocols can really help this sort of thing.

Edited by purnayoga 2007-05-30 2:56 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)