YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

All emotional
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

Aotearoa
Posted 2007-06-05 5:25 AM (#88488)
Subject: All emotional

Hi all

After that amazing experience in John Scott's retreat, I decided to keep up the good work and resume daily practice once I got settled in Christchurch. I rested for a week and then started on the Primary Series last Sunday. At first it was okay-ish but earlier today I had a breakdown. I don't know what came over me but a lot of things must have come together and resulted in my crying like a baby. All of a sudded these bizarre thoughts were in my head and utterly annoyed me, for instance the coldness of the room, the fluffy carpet, the slippery mat, the fact that nothing really worked and I thought I had taken more than one step back and the realisation that there are things I will simply never be able to do physically.

Is that normal to occur at some point? It must sound very silly but I had this outburst of frustration that didn't stop for a while. I did get to finish the Series but it just felt unconnected and not right. Has anyone of you ever had such a fit?

Om Shanti

Aotearoa

Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-06-05 7:19 AM (#88492 - in reply to #88488)
Subject: RE: All emotional

Being non emotional should be part of your Yoga Practice.

Aotearoa - 2007-06-05 5:25 AM

Hi all

After that amazing experience in John Scott's retreat, I decided to keep up the good work and resume daily practice once I got settled in Christchurch. I rested for a week and then started on the Primary Series last Sunday. At first it was okay-ish but earlier today I had a breakdown. I don't know what came over me but a lot of things must have come together and resulted in my crying like a baby. All of a sudded these bizarre thoughts were in my head and utterly annoyed me, for instance the coldness of the room, the fluffy carpet, the slippery mat, the fact that nothing really worked and I thought I had taken more than one step back and the realisation that there are things I will simply never be able to do physically.

Is that normal to occur at some point? It must sound very silly but I had this outburst of frustration that didn't stop for a while. I did get to finish the Series but it just felt unconnected and not right. Has anyone of you ever had such a fit?

Om Shanti

Aotearoa

TampaEric
Posted 2007-06-05 9:34 AM (#88508 - in reply to #88488)

When you try to do the full series correctly with bandha and breath, it's a very difficult series. When I get frustrated, I try to remember that I'm getting benefits whether am in the full posture or not, whether I'm floating to stepping back, whether I'm drenched in sweat or barely sweating, whether I'm like I was yesterday, etc..

I think you just had a bad day. You can correct the temperature of the room, use a sticky mat and make everything perfect, but in the end what was bothering you seems to stem from a result driven goal. Just stepping on to your mat each day and doing the sun salutes is a practice.

Also, don't give up hope. Advanced asana is possible. I surprise myself year after year. It can be a slow process for some people.

Nick
Posted 2007-06-05 10:05 AM (#88514 - in reply to #88508)

Hi there,
Sometimes I think that the suddenness of being in a class environmnet and then coming face to face with yourself in home practice, can bring on a reaction-from personal experience.

Nick
Hehet
Posted 2007-06-05 3:29 PM (#88539 - in reply to #88492)

Neel, remember when you were looking for instances with how you answer students asking questions?  Remember what slowpie advised about the succinctness of your answers sometimes? 

this post is such an example.

I agree with you that one should strive to be non-emotional in one's practice (to push away both good and bad feelings and guide oneself in asana through the breath), but what i think Jess is reaching for is a way to understand why her feelings would come out in such a way and what to do when that happens.

I understand where you're coming from, but in this post it seems as if from on high.  You have such deep study and understanding of the fundamentals, maybe here it would be nice to include an excerpt from a book or through some experience you personlly have had.  I have yet to start extensive reading (all my time is taking up with finishing school), so i try not to advise too much unless i've personally experienced something and look instead to posters like you.

I love how you want to share your knowledge and that's why i'm speaking up, in the hope we can all share and learn from one another.

@Jess, this happened to me a long time ago and felt like i wanted to cry through the practice.  Since a part of yoga suggests to me the idea of 'detachment', it's a good idea to try to understand, if you can, why you felt the way you did.  it may have nothing whatsoever to do with your practice, asana was but the vehicle. 

i don't know that helped any, but i want you to know you're not alone

@ Jess,

kulkarnn - 2007-06-05 6:19 AMBeing non emotional should be part of your Yoga Practice.
Aotearoa - 2007-06-05 5:25 AMHi allAfter that amazing experience in John Scott's retreat, I decided to keep up the good work and resume daily practice once I got settled in Christchurch. I rested for a week and then started on the Primary Series last Sunday. At first it was okay-ish but earlier today I had a breakdown. I don't know what came over me but a lot of things must have come together and resulted in my crying like a baby. All of a sudded these bizarre thoughts were in my head and utterly annoyed me, for instance the coldness of the room, the fluffy carpet, the slippery mat, the fact that nothing really worked and I thought I had taken more than one step back and the realisation that there are things I will simply never be able to do physically. Is that normal to occur at some point? It must sound very silly but I had this outburst of frustration that didn't stop for a while. I did get to finish the Series but it just felt unconnected and not right. Has anyone of you ever had such a fit? Om ShantiAotearoa
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-06-05 6:01 PM (#88582 - in reply to #88539)

Hehet - 2007-06-05 3:29 PM

Neel, remember when you were looking for instances with how you answer students asking questions?  Remember what slowpie advised about the succinctness of your answers sometimes?
===> Agreed. As for the points made, they are great. As for succintness, I am helpless. I thought about it and wish to continue succint response. I am open to further questions or discussion, though.

this post is such an example.

I agree with you that one should strive to be non-emotional in one's practice (to push away both good and bad feelings and guide oneself in asana through the breath),
===> No, that is not what I meant. What I meant is: Yoga Practice = Doing Staning Poses + Doing Inversions + Doing Ashtanga style flow exercise + Shavasana +++++ Control of Emotions. What I am saying is Control of Emotions is one practice he has to do, may be even he starts the Standing Poses!!! ( For more explanation, Refer to Preparation For Meditation Audio from Neel Kulkarni).

but what i think Jess is reaching for is a way to understand why her feelings would come out in such a way and what to do when that happens.
===> Agreed, thank You.

I understand where you're coming from, but in this post it seems as if from on high.  You have such deep study and understanding of the fundamentals, maybe here it would be nice to include an excerpt from a book or through some experience you personlly have had.  I have yet to start extensive reading (all my time is taking up with finishing school), so i try not to advise too much unless i've personally experienced something and look instead to posters like you.
===> No comments.

I love how you want to share your knowledge and that's why i'm speaking up, in the hope we can all share and learn from one another.
===> Agreed.

===> overall: Agreed + Thanks + Peace + Love

@Jess, this happened to me a long time ago and felt like i wanted to cry through the practice.  Since a part of yoga suggests to me the idea of 'detachment', it's a good idea to try to understand, if you can, why you felt the way you did.  it may have nothing whatsoever to do with your practice, asana was but the vehicle. 

i don't know that helped any, but i want you to know you're not alone

@ Jess,

kulkarnn - 2007-06-05 6:19 AMBeing non emotional should be part of your Yoga Practice.
Aotearoa - 2007-06-05 5:25 AMHi allAfter that amazing experience in John Scott's retreat, I decided to keep up the good work and resume daily practice once I got settled in Christchurch. I rested for a week and then started on the Primary Series last Sunday. At first it was okay-ish but earlier today I had a breakdown. I don't know what came over me but a lot of things must have come together and resulted in my crying like a baby. All of a sudded these bizarre thoughts were in my head and utterly annoyed me, for instance the coldness of the room, the fluffy carpet, the slippery mat, the fact that nothing really worked and I thought I had taken more than one step back and the realisation that there are things I will simply never be able to do physically. Is that normal to occur at some point? It must sound very silly but I had this outburst of frustration that didn't stop for a while. I did get to finish the Series but it just felt unconnected and not right. Has anyone of you ever had such a fit? Om ShantiAotearoa
Kaos
Posted 2007-06-05 6:54 PM (#88590 - in reply to #88488)

Due to our conditioning, this would be a normal reaction of our true self trying to keep sane in an insane world.

This happens too in meditation.

Simmi
Posted 2007-06-06 11:35 AM (#88674 - in reply to #88488)

The times I felt most emotional in practice usually coincides with times when I feel my body releasing a lot of tension. I remember when my teacher used to adjust me in baddha konasana that I almost feel tears welling up in my eyes, not of pain, but it just felt like I had been holding tension in my hips for so long. It felt great!

Perhaps you are also experiencing some of these feelings? Yoga chikitsa is supposed to cleanse and realign the body. Perhaps what you feel is just part of this process and will soon pass.
jonnie
Posted 2007-06-06 3:46 PM (#88714 - in reply to #88488)

It's an example of the mind/body connection.

The human body stores emotions in muscles and organs and they may stay repressed there for years.

Anyone who has experienced deep tissue body work like Thai massage or Rolfing may have experienced a similar emotional release. Yoga asanas have a similar effect on the body as the muscles are massaged and stretched...

Jonathon
Hehet
Posted 2007-06-06 4:16 PM (#88715 - in reply to #88714)

what's rolfing?

jonnie - 2007-06-06 2:46 PMIt's an example of the mind/body connection.The human body stores emotions in muscles and organs and they may stay repressed there for years.Anyone who has experienced deep tissue body work like Thai massage or Rolfing may have experienced a similar emotional release. Yoga asanas have a similar effect on the body as the muscles are massaged and stretched...Jonathon
lewellen17
Posted 2007-06-06 11:13 PM (#88754 - in reply to #88488)

I had something happen last week; not during the physical practice but during guided pranayama before a led class. I had tears welling up in my eyes for no apparent reason - I was mortified! I came very, very close to walking out of the class, but I sorted it out and stayed for the class. Once I was moving it subsided and I was able to keep my mind fairly focused on the asanas.

I knwo what you mean about frustration too. Yeeeeeaars ago (before children....BC, I guess) i could *just* contort my back into eka pada rajakapotasana. Then, between a PhD, an overseas move and 3 kids, I found it hard to fit in much yoga. I came back to the practice a year ago, and my back feels to stiff it's horrifying! I don't think I'll ever move far into second series, breause I can't imagine my back ever regaining any degree of flexibility. That was a bit of a shock, but I've accepted that and am now comfortable with mostly just primary for the foreseeable future.

namaste,

lisa
tourist
Posted 2007-06-06 11:47 PM (#88756 - in reply to #88715)

Expert Yogi

Rolfing is deep tissue work (not really like massage, but that is usual comparison) that actually changes the sheathing of the muscle. Great stuff, sometimes painful, though. I have had a lot of it done (Hellerwork - same work, different name - politics, apparently) and it has made amazing changes in my body. Never had an emotional release, though....yet.
jonnie
Posted 2007-06-07 1:10 AM (#88766 - in reply to #88488)

Hi Tourist,

Have you ever experienced an emotional release from your asana practise?

Aotearoa
Posted 2007-06-07 2:06 AM (#88771 - in reply to #88488)

Dear all

Just what would I do without your advice? Right now, this forum means more to me than ever as there is nobody here teaching Ashtanga and I feel the relationship understanding and also adjusting teacher / student is missing at this point.

Maybe it really was something underlying that had been waiting to come out for a while and it just so happened that the release that particular day was yoga. Maybe I'm still too focused on the outcome rather than the effort / journey. I'll work on it!

Your help and kind words are much appreciated Thank you.

Om Shanti

Aotearoa

Orbilia
Posted 2007-06-07 6:46 AM (#88779 - in reply to #88771)

I feel that it is likely that this was an emotional release. I have been on a couple of retreats now and both times have felt the urge to bawl my eyes out. Typically these retreats have involved 4 hours of yoga a day in the company of like-minded and lovely people. I feel the combination of the two is bound to surface a lot of emotion. If you'd like to know more about my last retreat, please read my thread entitled "Retreat or Transformation".

It will be interesting to see how you feel about your yoga practise now. Does it feel any easier? I know that when I'm carrying a lot of stress, asana work can feel like a battle with my body feeling lumpen and stiff. On happy days, I fly round like I'm on wings.

Fee
jonnie
Posted 2007-06-07 7:54 AM (#88786 - in reply to #88488)

Like the new avatar Fee. Following Neel's advice I see

Orbilia
Posted 2007-06-07 7:57 AM (#88788 - in reply to #88786)

Thanks Jonnie. This graphic is the one I've used for my desktop wallpaper for some time. Bit too ordinary for my av, so any further suggestions gratefully welcomed

Fee
tourist
Posted 2007-06-07 10:11 AM (#88807 - in reply to #88788)

Expert Yogi

jonnie - yes, I have indeed had emotional release during practice, though very rarely. The most dramatic was after I came back from a very busy one week trip to England during which I got very little practice in and had a migraine that required a trip to the emergency room. I had more or less recovered from the pain but knew I had not processed the whole experience. The minute I hit the mat when I got home, there was a big flood of emotion and tears. It was a huge challenge to stay there and ride it out. My urge was to get up and walk away and "deal with it later" which is a really bad coping strategy and probably is a factor in creating the conditions for migraines to happen in the first place! So I put myself in a favourite restorative pose and stayed until I felt it had passed. I was glad for a home practice then as I would not have wanted to be in class during what seemed tome to be a very private time.

I also did have a release in class once where I had not been to class in a long time and had not been able to practice much (I forget why). Just sitting to begin the chant at the start of class, being surrounded by my teacher friends and colleagues felt so wonderful. The first OM was so deep and so connected to the Source, I felt a surge of gratitude that was almost impossible to contain. Again, my urge was to get up and leave (strong emotions make us want to seek privacy? A natural tendency or a genetic marker left by my English/Scottish/Native Canadian ancestors?) but I really wanted to stay and both enjoy the feeling of the gratitude and perhaps send those vibrations to those around me.

Yoga is interesting work. OTOH, I have had similar releases while reading books, watching or thinking about my children and one memorable time actually watching Oprah!
jonnie
Posted 2007-06-07 10:17 AM (#88811 - in reply to #88807)

tourist - 2007-06-08 6:11 PM

jonnie - yes, I have indeed had emotional release during practice, though very rarely. The most dramatic was after I came back from a very busy one week trip to England during which I got very little practice in and had a migraine that required a trip to the emergency room.

Us English will do that to you

jonnie
Posted 2007-06-07 10:23 AM (#88818 - in reply to #88488)

It is interesting to think about the different activities that can cause a release of emotion.

I've experienced it in both asana and massage, though can also relate to your Oprah comment

Edited by jonnie 2007-06-07 10:25 AM
Simmi
Posted 2007-06-07 12:36 PM (#88841 - in reply to #88754)

Lisa,

about the back getting stiff..I just want to say that I was in the same boat after years of not bending my back. BUT, am happy to report that they do come back..those backbends;) When I was a kid, putting the feet on my head was easy...now I pull the feet much further than the top of my head...and I lost that ability for years before getting it back..so I'd say...second series can actually get you BACK to eka pada rajakapotasana;)
lewellen17
Posted 2007-06-08 7:59 AM (#88919 - in reply to #88488)

Hi Simmi,
Thank you for the encouragement! You really should see my backbend though - it's thoroughly coffee-tableasana!

It also doesn't do much for one's ego to be shown up by one's 8 year old daughter (who executed a gorgeous jump back from sitting on her first attempt - ditto jumping into bhujapidasana). She has a lovely backbend - it really is an upward bow. Now, I try to practise when she's at school

Right now I really am happy with primary. I'm trying to regain strength and stamina, and the stretchy part of primary comes fairly naturally for me (my forward bends are almost respectable).

When/how did you find real breakthroughs come into backbending for you? There really isn't much of it in primary, then all of a sudden, there's kapotasana early in second series - it kinda does my head in, truth be told. I can see myself being held at laghuvajrasana for the rest of my life (if I ever get there!).

namaste,

lisa
jonnie
Posted 2007-06-08 9:17 AM (#88932 - in reply to #88919)

That's one of the main challenges with Ashtanga Yoga. The practise only really becomes balanced when you have learned all three series.

The primary series does have a lack of back bends. There are the upwards facing dogs in the sun salutations and vinyasas and a few other backbends in the finishing sequence, though apart from that, it's all forward bends.

If a student can't or does not want to move to the second series, I recommend adding some additional back work into their practise. It's not strictly Ashtanga Vinyasa, though will give a more balanced practise.

Jonathon
Simmi
Posted 2007-06-08 1:20 PM (#88963 - in reply to #88919)

;) Kids are soo incredibly flexible aren't they!!

My backbends improved a lot from the daily updogs and urdhva dhanurasanas during primary. My teacher also always made us move the chest over the arms as much as possible in UD, which I think opened up a lot of the upper chest and spine. Another adjustment he loved to give was to move my chest closer to the floor in downdog to open the shoulders.

Other stuff that worked for me was lying over a huge exercise ball. It incredibly relaxing and it works wonders in opening the front of the body. Try it out;)

As for kapotasana, I struggled with that one, but my teacher gave me some research poses to work on to help, and it did help a lot. Basically lunges, supta virasana stuff for the quads and hip flexors and shoulder openers like the gomukasana type.

I am sure you will get past laghu! I also doubted it last time...but the wonders of Ashtanga is that with practice most things become possible...;)

lewellen17
Posted 2007-06-09 6:42 AM (#89017 - in reply to #88488)

Yeah, I do try to focus on the backbending in primary - that extra second or two to extend upward dog and such.

I have noticed that my breathing is much stronger in UD, and the amount of dread I feel before pressing up is starting to ease. It's still a coffee table, but a far less anxious one! That counts as progress in my book.

Jonnie - what other backbending do you recommend to augment primary practice?

lisa
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)