YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

It hurts, it hurts, it hurts..
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> Injuries and rehabMessage format

Isola
Posted 2007-06-07 10:13 AM (#88810)
Subject: It hurts, it hurts, it hurts..

My left hip hurts, like hell. My right hip hurts a little bit, but not as bad as the left one. The pain is located mainly on the outside of the hip, just above groin hight, and the pain is shooting in towards the groin.

It doesn't hurt when I sit or lay down, or when I do asanas, but it hurts so bad when I walk that I just want to scream.

The pain occured yesterday during a long walk, after about 5 kilometers or so. Unfortunatetly I couldn't get back home any other way but to walk and it didn't make my hip any happier. The shoes I was wearing have been used on long walks before without any problems.

Yesterday evening and this morning I was stiffer than I've been in months, practice was ok though.

Any idea what it might be, what muscles that are involved and how I can ease the pain? If I go to the doctor they'll probably just tell me to rest and "blame" the fibromyalgia, but it doesn't feel like that kind of pain.

/Jenny
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-06-07 10:35 AM (#88824 - in reply to #88810)
Subject: RE: It hurts, it hurts, it hurts..

To know what and how it is paining, go to a physician who can examine anatomically. To get Yoga Remedy, go to an experienced Yoga Teacher who knows anatomy and Yoga.

Best Luck

Isola - 2007-06-07 10:13 AM

My left hip hurts, like hell. My right hip hurts a little bit, but not as bad as the left one. The pain is located mainly on the outside of the hip, just above groin hight, and the pain is shooting in towards the groin.

It doesn't hurt when I sit or lay down, or when I do asanas, but it hurts so bad when I walk that I just want to scream.

The pain occured yesterday during a long walk, after about 5 kilometers or so. Unfortunatetly I couldn't get back home any other way but to walk and it didn't make my hip any happier. The shoes I was wearing have been used on long walks before without any problems.

Yesterday evening and this morning I was stiffer than I've been in months, practice was ok though.

Any idea what it might be, what muscles that are involved and how I can ease the pain? If I go to the doctor they'll probably just tell me to rest and "blame" the fibromyalgia, but it doesn't feel like that kind of pain.

/Jenny
Isola
Posted 2007-06-07 10:45 AM (#88827 - in reply to #88824)
Subject: RE: It hurts, it hurts, it hur

If I could go to a experienced yoga teacher, I would. But I can't, cause there aren't many of those in Sweden, up north where I am there are non.

If history repeats itself there is "nothing wrong" with me anatomically. I've had undefined pains for ten years and was diagnosed with fibromyalgia eight years ago. Physicians can't (or at least won't) help me, since there is "nothing wrong". I've had every possible test taken, every form of x-ray, been looked at by maybe 20-25 different doctors. They have nothing more to say.

So I'm grasping after ideas here. I don't mind some trial and error, but I need some tips on what to do.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-06-07 2:25 PM (#88847 - in reply to #88827)

OK then. This means Physicians part is done. Now, left is the Experienced Yoga and Health Instruction. Considering that there is no one around you, you have only one choice left:

If mountain does not come to you, you go to mountain.

I think you have great potential and hope from what I read from your postings. Keep up high spirit.

Isola - 2007-06-07 10:45 AM

If I could go to a experienced yoga teacher, I would. But I can't, cause there aren't many of those in Sweden, up north where I am there are non.

If history repeats itself there is "nothing wrong" with me anatomically. I've had undefined pains for ten years and was diagnosed with fibromyalgia eight years ago. Physicians can't (or at least won't) help me, since there is "nothing wrong". I've had every possible test taken, every form of x-ray, been looked at by maybe 20-25 different doctors. They have nothing more to say.

So I'm grasping after ideas here. I don't mind some trial and error, but I need some tips on what to do.
Isola
Posted 2007-06-07 2:52 PM (#88856 - in reply to #88847)

It leans towards me going to the mountain. I just need to save up the money to do it. If I find a good teacher in Sweden it wont be as expensive as if I have to go abroad, but it will still cost alot, and money is something I don't have that much of. But hey... I'm in no hurry, really. If I go now or in a year, don't think it makes much difference. I'm only 23, I have a few years left.

You think I have potential? I take that as a big compliment! Thank you!

Edited by Isola 2007-06-07 2:57 PM
dmbones
Posted 2007-06-07 5:55 PM (#88870 - in reply to #88810)

Isola - 2007-06-07 7:13 AM

/Jenny

Hi Jenny,

Sorry to hear you're hip is sore, While it's always a guess without seeing you what the problem may be, your complaint is pretty common: pain in the anterior groin most noticeable when walking. This may be a shooting, sharp pain that will cause you to want to stop walking. These are typically muscle based problems and in your case likely the external rotators of the hip, and/or a small adductor synergist, the pectinius, located in the inner thigh.

Stretching both the external rotators and the inner thigh can be accomplished with this simple little pose/counter-pose. Hope it helps out. Let me know if you think it's getting to your problem.

Michael

Isola
Posted 2007-06-07 6:20 PM (#88872 - in reply to #88870)

Thanks for your reply!

It's a bit tricky for me to understand which muscles you're talking about (language thing), so it would be great if you could give some examples of poses to do to stretch the muscles in question.

/Jenny
dmbones
Posted 2007-06-07 6:30 PM (#88873 - in reply to #88872)

Isola - 2007-06-07 3:20 PM

Thanks for your reply!

It's a bit tricky for me to understand which muscles you're talking about (language thing), so it would be great if you could give some examples of poses to do to stretch the muscles in question.

/Jenny

Hi Jenny,

Sorry, I was unable to upload my vinyasa for you, so I'll talk you through it....

Lie on your belly with knees and toes together, head turned one way or other, hands in reverse savasana along sides. If you are facing to the right, bring your right knee up to your right wrist (knee higher on arm is OK, but not lower than wrist). Jump your right bent leg out to the side to lower your groin into floor. Rest for 2-3 minutes attentively in half-frog.

Come up onto your elbows, keeping right bent leg up as it was. Bring your left arm under your right armpit and roll onto your left side into rotated stomach. Continue to rotate stomach until your right knee starts to lift off the floor. The left leg is straight and in line with the spine. Let right knee rest on floor as you relax into the pose for another 2-3 minutes.

Return to elbows and slide left arm back out from under armpit as you return to your belly, as you were in first part of half-frog pose. Rest again for another 2-3 minutes. Push up shoulders, bring knees back together and rotate head to left side and repeat sequence.

Sorry I can't give pics and description for you. Let me know if this is not clear; and how it's working.

Michael

Isola
Posted 2007-06-07 7:31 PM (#88879 - in reply to #88873)

Sounds great! I'll try it first thing tomorrow morning.

Posted 2007-06-07 10:03 PM (#88892 - in reply to #88810)

http://www.getbodysmart.com/ap/muscularsystem/menu/menu.html

When I injured my adductors in December, I found this website (which helped me to determine what was going on in there. Maybe it will help you.

open.hearted.
ali

Posted 2007-06-08 2:40 AM (#88905 - in reply to #88810)

Hello Isola.

Please allow me, the most obnoxious, egotistical, smug pain in the ass, to chime in.

I see that you lastly mentioned fibromyalgia. And I don't want to make any assumptions about it, you, or the combination. If you've been diagnosed then you are aware it is classified as Auto Immune. With auto immmune issues there can be a variety of joint and inflammation challenges here and there. Some refer to them as "flare ups".

The fact that the pain subsides when you are supine may indicate this is NOT an inflammation issue at all. Rather it is more likely a muscular isssue as addressed in several preceeding threads.

I personally find the hip complex to be just that, complex. As so an assessment tool is more prudent (to me) in these cases then some others. In the yoga I teach and am trained in we use a hip series to assess the six movements of the joint. After completing that we feel we are appropriately able to point you safely.

This is not to diminish the advice of others at all. I can only speak from my experience and my training and so that is all I do.

If you have pulled a muscle or overstrained connective tissue (other than fascia) I think some rest might be a good idea. A few days where you are not walking a 5K or doing a pitta practice might be called for. Use some common sense around activity even though you might feel less pain and that you can "do" more. Apply some ice, alternating with some heat to bring proper flow into the area. If you are female please do not do this during your cycle.

Make sure your diet and stress levels suppport your healing rather than detract from it and the same would go for your sleep patterns. You may also use massage oil on the area and take epsom salt baths to releive muscle tension and move toxins. Some movement is necessary but consider making such movement very mindful and do not push it.

Healing requires a comprehensive plan for maximum efficiency.

Edited by purnayoga 2007-06-08 2:42 AM
Isola
Posted 2007-06-08 6:10 AM (#88911 - in reply to #88892)

ali - 2007-06-08 4:03 AM

http://www.getbodysmart.com/ap/muscularsystem/menu/menu.html

When I injured my adductors in December, I found this website (which helped me to determine what was going on in there. Maybe it will help you.

open.hearted.
ali

Thank you!
Isola
Posted 2007-06-08 6:21 AM (#88912 - in reply to #88905)

Like I said in my original post; I don't think that I can blame the fibro for this, so you are probably right. Most of the times when I have my flare ups EVERYTHING hurts, even being completly still. My hips have been the area where I have had the most pain over the years, it was in the hips that the whole thing started.

I'm familiar with the hip opening series you mention and I enjoy it very much. I am, however, not qualified to draw any conclusions from it, so to speak.

Rest might be a good idea, but honestly... It doesn't feel like it, and I'm often right when it comes to these things. Being in constant pain for a decade kinda gives you a sixth sense about those things, and in this case my hip screams for more circulation. Of course I'll avoid walking long distances.

Can you use only heat to get the circulation going? Having fibromyalgia makes my skin very sensitive to cold, it hurts alot to put cold things against the skin.

That healing requiers a plan I'm aware of. I've been working on my sleep, my diet, my emotional well-being and now my body and soul for the past 3 years. This is the first severe pain I've had since I started doing yoga, so I must be doing something right. ;)

Thanks for your advice!

/Jenny

PS: You're not a pain in the ass. DS
dmbones
Posted 2007-06-08 10:48 AM (#88946 - in reply to #88912)

Isola - 2007-06-08 3:21 AM

This is the first severe pain I've had since I started doing yoga, so I must be doing something right. ;)

/Jenny

Hi Jenny,

It's a miracle that we can actually learn to marshall our own self-healing capacities in response to pain. It is truly a path to God. Good travels to you!

Michael
Isola
Posted 2007-06-08 10:54 AM (#88947 - in reply to #88946)

Thank you.
Hehet
Posted 2007-06-08 2:33 PM (#88971 - in reply to #88905)

wow, Purna

this post of yours actually made me smile. 

purnayoga - 2007-06-08 1:40 AMHello Isola.Please allow me, the most obnoxious, egotistical, smug pain in the ass, to chime in.I see that you lastly mentioned fibromyalgia. And I don't want to make any assumptions about it, you, or the combination. If you've been diagnosed then you are aware it is classified as Auto Immune. With auto immmune issues there can be a variety of joint and inflammation challenges here and there. Some refer to them as "flare ups".The fact that the pain subsides when you are supine may indicate this is NOT an inflammation issue at all. Rather it is more likely a muscular isssue as addressed in several preceeding threads.I personally find the hip complex to be just that, complex. As so an assessment tool is more prudent (to me) in these cases then some others. In the yoga I teach and am trained in we use a hip series to assess the six movements of the joint. After completing that we feel we are appropriately able to point you safely.This is not to diminish the advice of others at all. I can only speak from my experience and my training and so that is all I do.If you have pulled a muscle or overstrained connective tissue (other than fascia) I think some rest might be a good idea. A few days where you are not walking a 5K or doing a pitta practice might be called for. Use some common sense around activity even though you might feel less pain and that you can "do" more. Apply some ice, alternating with some heat to bring proper flow into the area. If you are female please do not do this during your cycle.Make sure your diet and stress levels suppport your healing rather than detract from it and the same would go for your sleep patterns. You may also use massage oil on the area and take epsom salt baths to releive muscle tension and move toxins. Some movement is necessary but consider making such movement very mindful and do not push it.Healing requires a comprehensive plan for maximum efficiency.

Posted 2007-06-09 12:20 AM (#89007 - in reply to #88912)

Isola - 2007-06-08 3:21 AM
I'm familiar with the hip opening series you mention and I enjoy it very much. I am, however, not qualified to draw any conclusions from it, so to speak.

In which of the poses are you less mobile and when less mobile which side?

Rest might be a good idea, but honestly... It doesn't feel like it, and I'm often right when it comes to these things. Being in constant pain for a decade kinda gives you a sixth sense about those things, and in this case my hip screams for more circulation. Of course I'll avoid walking long distances.

Only you know, and you know best. So follow that. I would never go counter to a student who has a strong sense as you do - unless there was something specific and natomically unsafe. Here there is not.

Can you use only heat to get the circulation going? Having fibromyalgia makes my skin very sensitive to cold, it hurts alot to put cold things against the skin.

You may do whatever is best for you. The heat opens the capilaries; the cold constricts them. They work in tandem to reduce swelling and bring blood into the region. However, if you receive pain from the cold then it's absolutely silly to apply one pain to rid another. Use a towel with the ice to mitigate it's effects and remove it before you hurt from it. Honestly, I thought everyone hurt from icing. Just the natural reaction of blood fleeing. But perhaps you are having something above that.

That healing requiers a plan I'm aware of. I've been working on my sleep, my diet, my emotional well-being and now my body and soul for the past 3 years. This is the first severe pain I've had since I started doing yoga, so I must be doing something right.

Sounds to me like you are on path and you will work with this appropriately.

PS: You're not a pain in the ass. DS

Well thank you but a pain to at least two people and one of them I've simply stopped contributing to which seems like instant diffusion. Can only offer what I have. Some will accept and others will not. And this is just how it will be.

Edited by purnayoga 2007-06-09 12:21 AM
Isola
Posted 2007-06-09 10:10 AM (#89023 - in reply to #89007)

Hi!

I am less mobile in Parivritta Supta Padangusthasana. I think thats the one, where you let for example your right leg tip over to the left, and it's that side that's less mobile. I feel that tight "outside" in poses like Matsyendrasana (especially in the "bottom leg hip"), and I've never been able to sit on a chair crosslegged like ladies often do, if you know what I mean.

I am over all less mobile in the right side of the body, but it's getting better since I'm not allowing my left side to go further than the right side can do. I have that with me since my days in the saddle - you should work equally on both sides, otherwise the weak side will get weaker and the strong side stronger. I have heard a yoga teacher or two say it too, but I don't know if it's "generally accepted".

When it comes to my skin and for example cold I am more sensitive than most people. Some days I can barely have clothes on because the fabric hurts. I don't have many of those days anymore, but it happens. That's why I'm a bit sceptical towards ice.

I think I am on the right way too, but I know myself well enough to know that I need lots of input from other people to keep evolving, keep seeking and keep improving.

You're older and wiser than me so I don't think I'll have to lecture you on the universal popularity-thing? Though... If only two people find you to be a pain in the ass you're pretty d a m n close to achieving the impossible.

Posted 2007-06-09 6:20 PM (#89044 - in reply to #88810)

Uh only two people HERE, dear. Not universally. So one must consider the population, as in all studies. Fly in the ointment.

Parivrrta huh. Well that's an odd one becasue most student can swing the up leg over but we typically only have the up ankle in the plane of the opposite shoulder/hip. If you are going farther then there is the possibility of over stretching the IT band which is a stabilizers so care must be used.

You're doing Parivrrta with a strap of course and holding in the left hand for that right leg? Both legs straight and the holding arm straight. Use the thumb of the right hand to press the neck of the right femur toward the inner left ankle. Sounds like IT band, TFL, piriformis stuff (based on the locational reference rather than your adduction statement) but I'm only surmising.

So when you say you are limited do you mean you are lesss mobile or do you mean "this pose hurts more

Edited by purnayoga 2007-06-09 6:22 PM
Isola
Posted 2007-06-09 6:36 PM (#89047 - in reply to #89044)

I understood that you meant here, I should have made that more clear. Still... I am a member of many different forums (smaller and bigger than this) and if I could say that I had just two who thought I was a pain in the ass I would be glad. Believe it or not; I can be quite nasty. But hey, i like you anyway, that's what matters now, since this is MY thread.

Do you think you can get some pictures to show what you mean or possibly explain it like you would to a 5 year old? I still have a hard time understanding the anathomical stuff, even though I google it (I hardly know what this stuff is in Swedish!).

I mean limited as in less mobile, it doesn't hurt.

Posted 2007-06-11 12:54 PM (#89195 - in reply to #89047)

Speaking specifically of Parivrrta Supta Padangusthasana? Yes I can.
You are on your back. Take the right leg up. Holding a strap in the right hand, loop the strap around the left arch.
As you insure you are resting the head and shoulders, straighten the right arm, the right leg, and the left leg.
Notice that in this position, before you move the leg to one side, it is directly above the left side of the pelvis.
Also note in this plane, the left shoulder.

Now when you move into the pose you move the left leg to the right. And this movement takes the left ankle into the plane with the :

right pelvis, right ankle, right knee, right shoulder. The left leg does not go farther (in this the beginning hip opening series).

Only then do you place the left thumb at the crease between the left leg and left pelvis and press the left thigh away from your left armpit.

Not for a five year old but for you :-)

Edited by purnayoga 2007-06-11 12:55 PM
Isola
Posted 2007-06-14 3:39 AM (#89394 - in reply to #89195)

Thank you very much!

By the way, the pain has been gone for a couple of days now. It went away as quickly as it came.

Posted 2008-01-07 5:14 AM (#101574 - in reply to #88827)

Isola - 2007-06-07 4:45 PM

I've heard of one in Norrland (if you live that far north, otherwise you will always find one in the big cities if you need it again) , she is a pilates/yoga instructor and a massage therapist, her name is Gunilla bu that's all I know... Sorry..

Edited by Soph 2008-01-07 5:23 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)