YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I found a teacher, but...
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

TampaEric
Posted 2007-06-11 1:22 PM (#89200)
Subject: I found a teacher, but...

I finally found a teacher. He teaches from his home. He teaches in the traditions on A. G. Mohan. (who was a student of Krishnamacharya) 1971-1989 My teacher is a student of Mohan.

About a year ago, my teacher moved to Colorado and I live in Tampa, FL. So, I have been without a teacher for one year. I practice Ashtanga primary/intermediate on my own.

My new teacher doesn't teach strict primary or intermediate like the Jois lineage. But he does call it Ashtanga. I went to his class last Saturday. It was wonderful. I had to get there by 7:00 a.m. and I was a little late...

His class was very good and very tough. Everything seems to be like one big sun salute. He taught, bird of paradise, easy bird of paradise, hanumanasana, kapotanasana, eka pada bakasana, eagle, bakasana, handstand and headstand, pranayama.. it was very vigorous. His breathing is very steady and slow. This is something I have not found in any other teacher, so I'm very interesting in studying with him more. His count is always slow and steady. 5 count inhale, 5 count exhale.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-06-11 2:16 PM (#89210 - in reply to #89200)
Subject: RE: I found a teacher, but...

Good for you, Eric! Though now Neel will have to cross Tampa, FL off his list...
SCThornley
Posted 2007-06-11 2:30 PM (#89219 - in reply to #89200)

but what?

sounds good
TampaEric
Posted 2007-06-11 3:27 PM (#89221 - in reply to #89210)

I didn't know Neel was making a list and checking it twice.

I will purchase one of Neel's DVD.
TampaEric
Posted 2007-06-11 3:34 PM (#89222 - in reply to #89219)

But.. he doesn't teach traditional "Ashtanga" sequence.

So, I will take his classes and self-practice on my own.

His practice is so wondeful though. He's a floater...big time. He used to teach at our studio, but he stopped teaching there and I took over his class. At the time I didn't follow him to study with him at his home, because I was looking to teach my own classes and was getting free class from another teacher because I taught at the studio and we get free classes.

So, I always loved his teaching, but I finally decided to find him and study with him. (again)

He is one of those teachers that fill up the space with his breath. My breath is the same way. It was like we were really linked by the breath.

It has been several years since I studied with him and I forgot one of the funniest things he always says "no tremors" I still laugh inside everytime he says it.

TampaEric
Posted 2007-06-12 11:13 AM (#89277 - in reply to #89200)

Went to 2nd class last night.

The whole environment is so different then going to a studio. I met his wife. She seemed really nice. She brought out a tray of Chai tea. Then she says, "i'm sorry but there is no food today." And the other students say, "Aww, Mom..." I guess they give chai tea and snacks after class...? Near the end of class I could smell something coooking and hear her preparing a meal. And then in the end (no savasana on our backs, just seated) I could hear a kitty cat wanting to come in as if he/she knew class was over and she was allowed in now..

The sequence was about the same as last time. But I noticed he added, padangustasana. I was so grafteful after all those warrior 1s. He taught some very advanced postures. One armed balances, urdhva kukutasana, and some one legged balances. He likes to move from downdog to warrior three, then bring the leg all the way forward and bend the standing leg. (squatting on one leg with the other one extended) We used to do this on rollerskates, we called it "shoot the duck." Then we were suppose to move (insert lift) in handstand splits. I did get an incredible adjustment in prayer twist. He held my hips with his legs and helped me rotate my torso. It was a huge twist in the end.

What can I say? The class was much harder than my usual primary series. If I continue to practice with him. Primary will seem gentle.
Nick
Posted 2007-06-12 6:18 PM (#89301 - in reply to #89277)

Sounds like good stuff Eric-it's wonderful to come across a wonderful resource-congratulations

Nick
TampaEric
Posted 2007-06-13 3:56 PM (#89360 - in reply to #89301)

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the encouragement. The class had some very advanced students there too. Which is good for me. I don't really like being the center of attention (like the only one who can do the advanced stuf) One guy was much stronger than me and one girl was extremely bendy. I was a litle tired and I wasn't doing everything I normally would do, but my teacher picked up on it and was like why aren't you binding (pasasana). So, I said, I was being kinda lazy. Then he was like, no, none of that and he pulled me right into it. So, I think I've found a great place for me to grow.

Two of the guys said that they remember me from a class I taught at the studio. And, he kinda paused, so I'm thinking....I guess he didn't like my class. But then, he said it was great. I was like "whew.." Cause you know as an instructor you grow and change and I don't think my 1st year of teaching was very good.

My teacher asked me about the 1st class and I said everything was great, but one thing. He looked at me kinda strange. And I said, I don't like to hold my breath after exhale. ( forget what it is called, Kumbhaka sp?) ...it makes my heart feel strange. So, he said, okay, don't do it unless you can a 30 second inhale and a30 sec exhale! At least I think that is what he said. He has this strong accent.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-06-13 5:46 PM (#89367 - in reply to #89200)

Gee, you are lucky. Tampa Florida, Organges, Grape Fruits, Indian Parsley, Yoga in tradition of the respectable A.G. Mohan, and Sunshine.

Best Luck.

TampaEric - 2007-06-11 1:22 PM

I finally found a teacher. He teaches from his home. He teaches in the traditions on A. G. Mohan. (who was a student of Krishnamacharya) 1971-1989 My teacher is a student of Mohan.

About a year ago, my teacher moved to Colorado and I live in Tampa, FL. So, I have been without a teacher for one year. I practice Ashtanga primary/intermediate on my own.

My new teacher doesn't teach strict primary or intermediate like the Jois lineage. But he does call it Ashtanga. I went to his class last Saturday. It was wonderful. I had to get there by 7:00 a.m. and I was a little late...

His class was very good and very tough. Everything seems to be like one big sun salute. He taught, bird of paradise, easy bird of paradise, hanumanasana, kapotanasana, eka pada bakasana, eagle, bakasana, handstand and headstand, pranayama.. it was very vigorous. His breathing is very steady and slow. This is something I have not found in any other teacher, so I'm very interesting in studying with him more. His count is always slow and steady. 5 count inhale, 5 count exhale.

souljourney108
Posted 2007-06-13 8:06 PM (#89377 - in reply to #89200)

What a blessing to find a good teacher...yaaay!
Looks like all the good Indian teachers go to America.
Thanks for the little sequence from downdog-warrior 3-squat leg up thingy asana... good strengthener and balance.

Hari Om,
Soul
Nick
Posted 2007-06-14 12:00 PM (#89437 - in reply to #89377)

Hi there,
I'm so glad I met my teacher, Danny Paradise, before I met any other astanga teacher-no one else I've met would have got me into it-it's just his whole approach of dealing what this type of yoga throws in your direction-he eased the path, making the initial learning experience so much more mellow. Must thank him some time

Nick
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-06-14 12:03 PM (#89439 - in reply to #89377)

Actually, I want to go to Australia. I heard that the Byron Bay is a fantastic place to go, this is from an Australian Sanskrit Scholar at the Austin Conference. How expensive is the living there?

souljourney108 - 2007-06-13 8:06 PM

Thanks for the little sequence from downdog-warrior 3-squat leg up thingy asana... good strengthener and balance.

Hari Om,
Soul
Nick
Posted 2007-06-14 12:14 PM (#89443 - in reply to #89439)

Hi Neel,
I'm going to Sydney soon-someone told me today that Byron bay is sooo expensive-sorry for the bad news Maybe souljourney will allay our fears

Nick
jonnie
Posted 2007-06-14 12:56 PM (#89453 - in reply to #89200)

I was in Bryon bay a few years ago. I loved it.

I can't remember it being that expensive. It is a tourist town though.

Jonathon
TampaEric
Posted 2007-06-18 2:05 PM (#89692 - in reply to #89377)

Hey Soul,

Yes, the warrior 3's and squats are killing me! I think my glutes (my ass) went to major failure the other day during class. I had no strength there for about 10-15 minutes. I had to slow way down. My low back and buttocks were screaming... help...But then I just went to the breath and waited and it stopped.

Then "all the sudden" I was putting my head behind my head rolling forward and standing up with my leg behind my head. It was very surreal. Like I left my body. He encouraged me to standing up, so he stood next to me and helped me balance. It did not create anything unusual in my body, but mentally it was a strange sensation. Not sure how else to describe it...My mind couldn't believe it, but my body was like okay, no big deal.

souljourney108
Posted 2007-06-19 12:41 AM (#89708 - in reply to #89439)

kulkarnn - 2007-06-15 2:03 AM

Actually, I want to go to Australia. I heard that the Byron Bay is a fantastic place to go, this is from an Australian Sanskrit Scholar at the Austin Conference. How expensive is the living there?

Hari Om,
Soul

Namaste Neel,

Just found this. I've been absorbed in the 'emotion' thread.
If you live a simple life, it's not expensive. It is beautiful here. It's possible to find a place in the hills or in a community. There are a lot of yoga teachers and students here. There are teacher training courses...here are the main ones I know of:

http://www.ishtasystem.com/

http://www.yogarts.com.au/

http://www.byronyoga.com.au/pages/yoga_training.html

you never know, they may need someone to teach yoga philosophy and chanting.

Hari Om,
Soul

kulkarnn
Posted 2007-06-19 3:48 AM (#89710 - in reply to #89708)

Thanks. That means you are as lucky as Tampa (of Florida).

souljourney108 - 2007-06-19 12:41 AM

kulkarnn - 2007-06-15 2:03 AM

Hari Om,
Soul

Namaste Neel,

Just found this. I've been absorbed in the 'emotion' thread.
If you live a simple life, it's not expensive. It is beautiful here. It's possible to find a place in the hills or in a community. There are a lot of yoga teachers and students here. There are teacher training courses...here are the main ones I know of:

http://www.ishtasystem.com/

http://www.yogarts.com.au/

http://www.byronyoga.com.au/pages/yoga_training.html

you never know, they may need someone to teach yoga philosophy and chanting.

Hari Om,
Soul

souljourney108
Posted 2007-06-19 4:39 AM (#89712 - in reply to #89200)

Hi Neel,
Yes very lucky...that's true. Blessed life. Good teachers everywhere.

Om Shantih,
Soul
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)