YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Yoga For Vets
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

paulz
Posted 2007-06-14 2:44 PM (#89462)
Subject: Yoga For Vets

Namaste' everyone.

This week I launched a new yoga website. It lists all teachers and studios that provides 4 or more free classes to any former or active duty veteran of war (i.e., WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan). In just a few days many yogi/yoginis have contacted me. This is kharma yoga at its finest (my opinion). Here is how it works. You or your studio offers 4 basic yoga classes to any vet. It can be individual or private group lessons but it must be a vets-only class (no mixed classes). A suggestion to people on a tight budget is to simply hold 4 classes a month. If there is a huge demand, use a sign-up sheet and start a waiting list (this would be a good problem). If you are interested, please check out www.yogaforvets.com and go to the "contact us" page. Remember, many people will be on the list and never get a call. I don't care if this happens because it still sends a message for everyone to see that regardless of what your opinion is about war, we support our troops (and we love yoga). Please send this web address to all of your yoga teacher friends even if you aren't interested.
Thanks in advance.

Om Shanti (Peace)

Paul Zipes
Director
Yoga For Vets
www.yogaforvets.com
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2007-06-14 3:43 PM (#89472 - in reply to #89462)
Subject: RE: Yoga For Vets

Hello Paul,

This sounds like a well intentioned project. Can you illuminate me on the thought process behind "vets only" please?

Thank you.

Edited by purnayoga 2007-06-14 3:43 PM
paulz
Posted 2007-06-14 4:34 PM (#89480 - in reply to #89472)

"Vets only" is to help make the safest and most comfortable beginner student environment possible. Paradoxically, a tough Marine or servicemember might actually be intimidated being in his/her first yoga class with a 20 year old super flexible ex-ballerina and less likely to return. Ideally, after 4 free lessons, the vet will be healthier, happier and hopefully, perfectly willing to go to a paid yoga class(maybe at your studio) or to pursue a private yoga practice. I hope this info helped and I hope you'll join the list.

Paul

P.S. The ex-ballerina was just an example, but if you've taught enough classes, you should know what I mean.

Posted 2007-06-14 6:05 PM (#89484 - in reply to #89480)

Got ya Paul--being a vet, I was IN that first class with the ex-ballerina and fled halfway through--came back though. Tried to sign up on your site but the page was wacked (think it's my work computer so I'll try again when home).

Posted 2007-06-14 8:21 PM (#89486 - in reply to #89480)

Oh I see. Thank you Paul.

paulz - 2007-06-14 1:34 PM

"Vets only" is to help make the safest and most comfortable beginner student environment possible. Paradoxically, a tough Marine or servicemember might actually be intimidated being in his/her first yoga class with a 20 year old super flexible ex-ballerina and less likely to return. Ideally, after 4 free lessons, the vet will be healthier, happier and hopefully, perfectly willing to go to a paid yoga class(maybe at your studio) or to pursue a private yoga practice. I hope this info helped and I hope you'll join the list.

Paul

P.S. The ex-ballerina was just an example, but if you've taught enough classes, you should know what I mean.
jonnie
Posted 2007-06-15 3:35 AM (#89505 - in reply to #89462)

Hi Paul,

This is an excellent idea. I wish you all the success.

Jonathon
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)