YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

yoga - xtraining for climbing?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> General FitnessMessage format

granite_grrl
Posted 2007-06-21 10:58 AM (#89878)
Subject: yoga - xtraining for climbing?

I have been involved in climbing for almost 7 years now, I started yoga just under three years ago. I usually enjoy a more vigorous vinyassa flow class, but also enjoy slower hatha classes too.

I have felt from a pretty early stage that yoga really compliments climbing well. There is the increase in flexibility, but even more importan I feel it work you "pushing" rather than "pulling" work, especially for your sholders (shoulders are both very important in climbing and yoga). Yoga also works the small stability muscles, which I think helps with climbing balance. I have told people what an amazing compliment yoga was to climbing from a fitness point of view, but I don't really have anything to back this up.

Does anyone have any information about how yoga works your muscles differently that in climbing in terms of cross training? I do yoga as an activity itself and I enjoy independantly from climbing, I'm just curious if yoga actually helps in terms of rock climbing.

Rebecca
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2007-06-22 10:55 AM (#89932 - in reply to #89878)
Subject: RE: yoga - xtraining for climb

pretty much, you already hit the high points--it's a lot of pushing rather than pulling motions, it uses a lot of small, stabilizing muscles, and it also increases flexibility. i know tht climbers tend to get tight in certain directions, but that depends upon the style of the climber. they also tend to be very flexible in certain directions too. also depends upon climbers style.

i don't think that there's any specific information out there, not that i can think of anyway, but what you've already figured out are definitely the high points.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-06-22 12:51 PM (#89944 - in reply to #89878)
Subject: RE: yoga - xtraining for climbing?

I can only give short answer here. If you want a long one, you have to do a short or long travel (or climb!) to me:

- Yoga develops co-ordination more than any other method. Therefore, it helps Rock Climbing where coordination is needed.

- Yoga also gives other things such as flexibility, etc. which compliment Climbing. Thus, it develops those areas which are not developed by Rock Climbing, but also may be needed while climbing at times. And, also such as Peace of Mind, patience, etc.

granite_grrl - 2007-06-21 10:58 AM

I have been involved in climbing for almost 7 years now, I started yoga just under three years ago. I usually enjoy a more vigorous vinyassa flow class, but also enjoy slower hatha classes too.

I have felt from a pretty early stage that yoga really compliments climbing well. There is the increase in flexibility, but even more importan I feel it work you "pushing" rather than "pulling" work, especially for your sholders (shoulders are both very important in climbing and yoga). Yoga also works the small stability muscles, which I think helps with climbing balance. I have told people what an amazing compliment yoga was to climbing from a fitness point of view, but I don't really have anything to back this up.

Does anyone have any information about how yoga works your muscles differently that in climbing in terms of cross training? I do yoga as an activity itself and I enjoy independantly from climbing, I'm just curious if yoga actually helps in terms of rock climbing.

Rebecca
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)