YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Looking for a Teaching Job
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

anne clardy
Posted 2007-06-26 4:37 PM (#90185)
Subject: Looking for a Teaching Job

I am a brand new certified yoga teacher. How do I go about looking for a teaching job? I live in the corporate world and we use resumes and referrals mostly. To get a yoga teaching position is it acceptable to go from place to place with a resume in hand and offer my services. I am at a loss as to how to find a job. Being referred is the ideal way, but so far I have been "subbing" for full time teachers.

I live in Dallas, TX. I practice Ashtanga yoga but would teacher power or gentle yoga.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-06-26 10:34 PM (#90201 - in reply to #90185)
Subject: RE: Looking for a Teaching Job

When it comes to Yoga: It is best to be shameless. Give your resume or details to all those whom you think as appropriate ones. Do not hesitate. Now, you must understand that : a) you will get most success where you are needed most. This includes a place whrere there is no yoga teacher available (There is no such a place according to the poll I took once on this board regardless of previous posts which stated that they can not find a teacher). b) or where you are better than another one. This will need experience and sinceriity. Thus, to get experience, sub all that you can. And, to get sincerity, practice yourself.

Best Luck.

anne clardy - 2007-06-26 4:37 PM

I am a brand new certified yoga teacher. How do I go about looking for a teaching job? I live in the corporate world and we use resumes and referrals mostly. To get a yoga teaching position is it acceptable to go from place to place with a resume in hand and offer my services. I am at a loss as to how to find a job. Being referred is the ideal way, but so far I have been "subbing" for full time teachers.

I live in Dallas, TX. I practice Ashtanga yoga but would teacher power or gentle yoga.
jonnie
Posted 2007-06-26 11:33 PM (#90203 - in reply to #90185)

Hi Anne,

Good luck with this new venture.

I hope you will find it very rewarding.

Jonathon

Posted 2007-06-27 10:05 AM (#90224 - in reply to #90185)

'hitting the pavement' is the best way to get a teaching gig. go place-to-place, give them your resume/credentials, and if they say they're not looking for anyone, ask if you can be put on their sub list.

also, think of places that generally don't have such services such as retirement communities, summer camps, 'adult day activity centers' and related. you might also simply want to start a class in your neighborhood--clearing a room in your home for people to meet or using the club house if your neighborhood has one. you might consider your church or a near-by church--UUs are particularly open to adding this to their activities.

good luck!

Posted 2007-06-27 3:12 PM (#90239 - in reply to #90185)

Some places are tougher to break into than others. For example if you live in San Francisco I wouldn't know what to tell you.

One of the nice things is you get to run your own business. It's a business of one. And so to me there aren't any set rules. However what I would do personally would fall into alignment with the principles of Yoga itself that I ascribe to. A resume is really nice to share with people. And I think walking in to a place to chat with an owner or studio director or fitness coordinator is a really good way to integrate one's self into the yoga community as a teacher.

You can get on sub lists at many places and just do what you do. Sometimes that leads to another gig. Again personally I prefer to be wanted for my skill as a teacher rather than my availability or the fact that I have a heartbeat. But this is the situation, when folks are looking for a sub they typically do not have very high requirements. If you are alive and say yes then you're golden.
TampaEric
Posted 2007-06-28 1:27 PM (#90297 - in reply to #90185)

Hi Anne,

Everyone here seems to be giving you good advice. The only thing I can add is to really bring your best when subbing. This is your opportunity to shine. Teaching great classes will generate a buzz. There's a lot of behind the scene chat about who teaches what, what days.. Introduce yourself. Teach a good class, be respectful and you will be find a class.
anne clardy
Posted 2007-07-05 11:59 AM (#90767 - in reply to #90185)

thanks, everyone for the advice. This is pretty much what I am doing. I am calling, emailing, walking in and trying to get on "sub" lists. Someone has got to need a sub. Yes, I will do my very best when I have the opportunity to sub. The classes I have subbed I love them and do feel like I am "touching" the people.

Will keep you posted.

Thanks for the advice.

anne clardy

Posted 2007-07-05 6:07 PM (#90808 - in reply to #90767)

Anne--don't miss the vast market of schools--especially community colleges.

Posted 2007-07-06 6:40 PM (#90862 - in reply to #90185)

I also started by subbing, but I also taught free classes in my home and at work. Teach freinds and family. You can only learn to teach by doing it. The more you do it, the better you will get and pretty soon somewhere where you are subbing will give you your own class. Try to find your own unique voice. (People know the difference between something genuine and a copy.) One thing that has made a big difference for me is that I try to really engage each of the students in my class and try to keep it fun. Laughter is not un-yogic! If students feel engaged and are having fun, they will come back. If your classes are full, it will be noticed. No matter how much the business owners may say that it is all about some higher purpose, they are in business to make a profit and full classes with happy students are good for the bottom line. (Making a living is NOT a bad thing!) Teaching has been a wonderful journey with all kinds of unexpected growth for me and I sincerely wish you the best on your journey.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)