YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Rope Wall Workshop
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Iyengar YogaMessage format

Orbilia
Posted 2007-07-05 5:50 AM (#90711)
Subject: Rope Wall Workshop

I have the opportunity to go to a rope wall workshop on the 4th August (providing I can get a lift there ) and wondered if anyone's used one before and what so of thing they did?

Fee
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-07-05 8:11 AM (#90715 - in reply to #90711)
Subject: RE: Rope Wall Workshop

Rope in Sanskrit is Kurunta. There is a text called YogaKurunta which may not be available today (I do not have it.) That is the source of Rope Usage for the respected T. Krishnamacharya. And, yes it can be used in many ways, similar to the usage of other props. The respected BKS Iyengar has of course done more creative work on Props than anyone else I know.

Orbilia - 2007-07-05 5:50 AM

I have the opportunity to go to a rope wall workshop on the 4th August (providing I can get a lift there ) and wondered if anyone's used one before and what so of thing they did?

Fee
Orbilia
Posted 2007-07-05 9:02 AM (#90718 - in reply to #90715)

Thanks for that. Using YogaKarunta has thrown up far more helpful search results (rope wall mainly gets adverts for them and texts on how to build your own).

It seems the book is still available but, at this, point, I just want some idea of what I'm letting myself in for so I think Google'll be my friend now :-)

Thanks again.

Fiona

Posted 2007-07-05 9:32 AM (#90721 - in reply to #90711)

i have used a rope wall and i really, really enjoy it. it's a lot of fun.
tourist
Posted 2007-07-05 10:08 AM (#90733 - in reply to #90721)

Expert Yogi

I use my ropes a lot and really enjoy them both for the help/prop aspect (I have been dong downward dog in the ropes for a long time, which I would not have been able to do at all with my sore shoulder) and for the learning they can provide (the various ways of using ropes to learn good action in standing poses). Have fun!!!
Orbilia
Posted 2007-07-05 10:55 AM (#90745 - in reply to #90733)

*LOL* Why do I suspect that this workshop may be a double edged sword....... with my talent for trouble they'll still be trying to cut me down a week later

Fee

Edited by Orbilia 2007-07-05 10:56 AM
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-07-05 11:05 AM (#90753 - in reply to #90711)

If you are prepared to come to VA, I can show you ways of using Rope you never have used before.
Orbilia
Posted 2007-07-05 11:15 AM (#90756 - in reply to #90753)

Ohhh, you've been taking lessens from GJ on being BAAAAAD...... oh, I spot your game, this is really a cunning ploy in your role of match-maker and you're trying to get two of your harder to shift single clients off your books at once, aren't you, Neel?!

I know VA's a state code, but which one? I have a pal who lives in Lexington, North Carolina who keeps nagging me to visit again (she was in Alpine, California last time) and another in Philly so you never know, I might just make it a multi-stop tour!

*Sighs*, now that I have the money, I simply do not have the leave to meet my increasing wish list of places to go!

Fee

Posted 2007-07-05 11:24 AM (#90760 - in reply to #90711)

VA is virginia--another east coast state. you could start in NC and head toward Philly (as VA is in between) or you could start at Philly and head to NC.
Orbilia
Posted 2007-07-05 11:26 AM (#90761 - in reply to #90760)

Thanks for clearing that up, Zoebird :-)

Oh boy, why on earth don't they ever invent anything useful and get that dang transporter thing from Star Trek done. It'd be way cool to be able just to pop in for a herbal tea or something in the lunch time / after work wouldn't it?

Fee
jonnie
Posted 2007-07-05 11:29 AM (#90763 - in reply to #90711)

I have both long and short ropes rigged up in my house and at the studio. We buy them straight from the Iyengar Institute in Pune and they are incredibly cheap.

I love rope work. I can always really feel my body opening up much much more.

Some of the inversions and back bends can be a little nerve racking when you first try them...

Jonathon
Cyndi
Posted 2007-07-05 12:33 PM (#90770 - in reply to #90756)

Expert Yogi

I know VA's a state code, but which one?

It's not a state code...it's just an abbreviation for the mail service.

I have a pal who lives in Lexington, North Carolina who keeps nagging me to visit again (she was in Alpine, California last time) and another in Philly so you never know, I might just make it a multi-stop tour!

Don't forget...I'm in the Western part of the state of NC..you must visit Asheville if you come to North Carolina.  You can also get to VA from the Blue Ridge Parkway and see all that nice scenery in the photo's I put on this form...see the 4th of July thread...that was the Blue Ridge Parkway in North Carolina..aka NC.

*Sighs*, now that I have the money, I simply do not have the leave to meet my increasing wish list of places to go! Fee

Don't ya hate that!!!

Posted 2007-07-05 2:53 PM (#90783 - in reply to #90711)

Fee

We use the wall rope system at yoga centers. It's the one developed by Bryan Legere (sp?) in Ventura, California.

There are so many uses for the system I would not even know where to begin. Many of them are not acrobatic and in the hands of a skilled teacher there is a tremendous amount of safety being amployed. I doubt we'll need to cut you down.

Some of the work that comes to mind is shoulder openers, actions in standing poses, spinal traction (which is simply heaven) and supta padangusthasana.

I don't know who's running your workshop but I think you're in for a treat.

Edited by purnayoga 2007-07-05 2:54 PM
*Fifi*
Posted 2007-07-05 9:33 PM (#90822 - in reply to #90711)

LOVE the rope wall
Orbilia
Posted 2007-07-09 5:14 AM (#90953 - in reply to #90822)

This thread may now be academic as I broke my coccyx at the weekend. And, no, not from inappropriate usage of a rope wall :-)

Fee
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-07-09 8:09 AM (#90969 - in reply to #90953)

tell us how you broke it please.

Orbilia - 2007-07-09 5:14 AM

This thread may now be academic as I broke my coccyx at the weekend. And, no, not from inappropriate usage of a rope wall :-)

Fee
Orbilia
Posted 2007-07-09 8:33 AM (#90971 - in reply to #90969)

*LOL* See my Ouch thread in the general forum, Neel.

Fee
Ollie longesl
Posted 2015-10-20 7:36 AM (#214010 - in reply to #90733)

New User

have you ever tried aerial yoga hammock for your yoga practice? I m practicing such type of yoga and i know for sure about huge therapeutic effect from such trainings it is really help!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)