YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Recommended Course in India
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga WorkshopsMessage format

Bob 1975
Posted 2007-07-12 12:04 AM (#91241)
Subject: Recommended Course in India

Hi
Can anyone recommend a yoga course in India. I am looking for a course that ends in a diploma of some sort. I am a beginner, at best!
If you know of a good course that is in a beautiful area of India, with great accommodation, all at a reasonable cost would you mind emailing me at stratfordblyth@gmail.com
Thanks for your help
Stratford
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-07-12 10:30 AM (#91283 - in reply to #91241)
Subject: RE: Recommended Course in India

Hi Bob: I do not recommend any Yoga Course in India which shall give you Diploma. In fact, I recommend to NOT take a course which gives such a Diploma. What I recommend, however, is:

- stay in India for prolonged time and watch the lives of average people closely. I can arrange this for you. That will be a great Yoga Education.
- study with an expert in the field of your study. This can be tricky. In some fields, I can arrange this for you.
- and travel to OLDest sites in India, and this will be mindblowing for you. I can arrange this for you.

If you want to take a Diploma, do that in USA or UK.

Bob 1975 - 2007-07-12 12:04 AM

Hi
Can anyone recommend a yoga course in India. I am looking for a course that ends in a diploma of some sort. I am a beginner, at best!
If you know of a good course that is in a beautiful area of India, with great accommodation, all at a reasonable cost would you mind emailing me at stratfordblyth@gmail.com
Thanks for your help
Stratford
jonnie
Posted 2007-07-12 12:01 PM (#91295 - in reply to #91241)

I agree with Neel, though if you are really intent on this then try the Bihar School of Yoga or the various Sivananda ashrams.

Jonathon
ShriDurga
Posted 2008-08-26 10:34 PM (#110268 - in reply to #91283)
Subject: RE: Recommended Course in Indi

I do not recommend any Yoga Course in India which shall give you Diploma. In fact, I recommend to NOT take a course which gives such a Diploma. What I recommend, however, is:

Hello, Kulkarnn, and everyone else on the boards.

In the course of researching options for studying yoga in India, I came across this thread and your comment above. Are diploma courses in India so dodgy that none are to be trusted? I've checked out the Yoga Alliance standards and a search of their database turns up no schools in India.

I've been practicing hatha for about a year a now, the first two months with a teacher, afterwards on my own. My main interest is in Buddhist paintings known as thangka, which I study at a school in Nepal. For visa reasons, I'll have to go to India and was considering taking an extended yoga course, 2-6 months in length beginning in March, depending on availability and costs.

I am not committed to any one kind of yoga, nor do I know enough about yoga forms to say that one appeals to me more than another. I would, though, like to include spiritual practices in my training.

Any ideas on how to proceed?

Edited by ShriDurga 2008-08-26 10:34 PM
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-08-31 11:31 PM (#110359 - in reply to #110268)
Subject: RE: Recommended Course in Indi

Dear Shri Durga: As you may be aware, I am not much on this bulletin board for the past few weeks due to my family moving to India permanently, and my plans to stay half+half in USA and India. It is interesting that I felt like signing on today and saw your comments.

What I wish to say is:

a) Immediately EMail me.

b) I shall be in India in that time frame, the one you wrote.

c) I can arrange your study there if you wish to study with me. One another American Yoga Student has already signed up to stay with me in Jan-Feb time frame at my school there.

d) ETC. more by email

e) To answer your present query: It is not that diploma courses in India are deficient in comparison with standards of YA. It is that the concept of such standards is not applicable in India and that is not the reason why one should go to India. You shall get things beyond YA standards in India and that is why one should go to India. But, these things are not part of Diploma courses. That is what I meant. I am sure I can help you in your Buddistic and Non Buddistic pursuits. And, I can definitely help you in your Yoga Pursuits.

f) Best luck.

ShriDurga - 2008-08-26 10:34 PM

I do not recommend any Yoga Course in India which shall give you Diploma. In fact, I recommend to NOT take a course which gives such a Diploma. What I recommend, however, is:

Hello, Kulkarnn, and everyone else on the boards.

In the course of researching options for studying yoga in India, I came across this thread and your comment above. Are diploma courses in India so dodgy that none are to be trusted? I've checked out the Yoga Alliance standards and a search of their database turns up no schools in India.

I've been practicing hatha for about a year a now, the first two months with a teacher, afterwards on my own. My main interest is in Buddhist paintings known as thangka, which I study at a school in Nepal. For visa reasons, I'll have to go to India and was considering taking an extended yoga course, 2-6 months in length beginning in March, depending on availability and costs.

I am not committed to any one kind of yoga, nor do I know enough about yoga forms to say that one appeals to me more than another. I would, though, like to include spiritual practices in my training.

Any ideas on how to proceed?

yoga_psychology
Posted 2008-10-26 12:49 PM (#111632 - in reply to #91241)

Hi Bob~

I have my own opinion that is somewhat different from the others who have taken the time to comment on your question. I took a diploma course in yoga therapy 2 years back from the http://www.tureya.com Tureya ashram in Kodaikanal. It was an experience much outside of the training I have had in the United States and I have been fortunate enough to study at several school in the US including the Babaji Ashram in Santa Cruize and another program in Boulder, Colorado.

The experience of taking a course or training of yoga in India far exceeded my experiences in the US as the teaching resonated within me on a much different. This, I believe, was because the teaching where not the rhetoric that you find in some of the westernized forms of yoga but rather an authentic expression of spiritual living that can only be taught by someone who knows the life of enlightenment.

If I were to go over the difference between the courses I took in the US and the Yoga Therapy training I took in India and pick out a few major differences, I would probably say that my experience of yoga courses in the US were more in tandem with western medicine where as my experience of yoga in India was that of a spiritual life, one that is intend more for spiritual growth, knowledge, and experience.

Of course this is my opinion and based only on the amount of experience I have had in the last 15 years of studying yoga, but I must say that I find the yoga courses I have studied in have had a great impact on my spiritual life than those in the US, even under the guidance of some of the more well known spiritual teachers in the US.

As for application of my diploma which I received from the course in India, I was able to become a yoga therapist in the US after completing tests moderated by the US government to verify my knowledge of anatomy as well as my comprehension of therapy. It wasn't very difficult but just require some review and study.

Edited by yoga_psychology 2008-10-26 12:51 PM

Posted 2008-11-11 5:39 AM (#111875 - in reply to #91241)

To study yoga to a diploma/teaching qualification you should have been regularly doing yoga for atleast 2 years.You need to have a good understandind of how your body works in yoga asana and pranayama before you can even think of teaching others.
Any course which is less than 1 year long and will take people with no yoga training is not worth the paper it is written on.

If you just want to do some yoga,learn about your body and how it can change with yoga why not try a short or long course of general classes.
Check out www.flyingmonkeyyoga.com they are based in Goa.The teachers are great.
patobi
Posted 2008-11-22 3:48 AM (#112036 - in reply to #91283)

the yoga course you want to establish in india is a good idea but you need to do a lot of home work, for you to achieve a good result.i wish you all the best.

anna
Posted 2008-12-14 11:35 AM (#112340 - in reply to #91241)
Subject: Re: Recommended Course in India

im confused by Kulkarnn's suggestion to "stay in India for prolonged time and watch the lives of average people closely. I can arrange this for you. That will be a great Yoga Education. " as an alternative to taking a yoga class in india with a diploma. i am mainly living in india for 12 years now and i have watched many indian people and most do no yoga at all and a fair amount are not really very inspiring as far as spiritual evolution is concerned.

I have no idea why you would suggest not doing a yoga course here in india with a view to getting a diploma. If a foreigner here really wants to absorb the essence of yoga this is the plact to do it. Surely its far more risky for them to look for a guru and far less authentic to study yoga in the west. I have been recommended the Vivekananda ashram in BangaLORE, they offer an intensive course of one month and that can lead to either one or three year courses... one of them being a BSC in yogic studies....
mir
Posted 2008-12-31 6:44 AM (#112627 - in reply to #91241)

I just completed an accredited 200-hr course with Himalaya Yoga Valley in Mandrem Beach, Goa, that covered Asana practice as just one part of the eight limbs. We also studied the remaining limbs and pantanjali's yoga sutras and ayurveda; a holistic and a valuable "start". Next course runs eo Jan, 2009 to eo Feb 2009.

See: http://www.yogagoaindia.com/yoga_teacher_training.php
kulkarnn
Posted 2008-12-31 8:53 AM (#112628 - in reply to #112340)

Dear Anna: Happy New Year and thanks for the response. As I am on a slower internet here in Kerala, India, I am being brief and have not read all past postings on this thread.

What I am trying to suggest is: If one is a standardized Diploma course such as one does in USA, etc., which contains mainly Asana and Breathing exercises and some kind of standardized Philosophy/Meditation course, then it is better to do that in USA,etc. and NOT in India.

What one should do in India is to watch the lives of people for a prolonged time and they shall get the gist of Yoga Philosophy and even Mediation as these two are totally incorporated in Indian Life. Now, please do not discuss with me Mumbai incidences, etc.

What I am talking is in General and Majority.

I am sure of what I am speaking as I am from India and also from USA now.

Love and Peace
Neel
jaikrsna
Posted 2009-04-01 7:20 AM (#115121 - in reply to #91241)

i hav at different points lived in india for years at a time, and agree with neel's thoughts on this.

do go to india to expand your understanding and practice of yoga, but do not go simply for a diploma course. as has been mentioned, diploma courses (anywhere) who accept people with little experience and issue diplomas in short order--not of much value or depth.
kulkarnn
Posted 2009-04-01 8:14 PM (#115137 - in reply to #115121)

Dear Anna: I did set up my school in Pune India in this trip and shall offer teacher training and regular Yoga classes there from 1st October onwards. To see the glimpse of my school, you can go to youtube and search on SaeeTech, The Authentic Yoga School, Pune, India.

best luck.
shanti
Posted 2012-02-08 12:20 AM (#209953 - in reply to #91283)

New User

Hello Kulkrann,

I would love to learn more about your ashram in pune (if I read correctly). I was in India last year. MAGIC! Transformation. -- I was enrolled in a diploma program and had to leave, not for me.

I am looking to come back in January of next year, in searching I came to this page and found you.

I hope to speak to you soon,
In light
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)