YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Head Stand Problem
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Hatha YogaMessage format

cen7sc2c
Posted 2007-07-15 10:42 PM (#91504)
Subject: Head Stand Problem

Hi,

I'm new in this forum. I have been practising yoga only for the past 6 months.

I'm having difficulty doing headstand. Whenever my head is upside down, i feel lost and scare. I lost control of myself and till now still not able to do the headstand.

Anyone have the same problem? or anyone can tell me what should i do to over come this problem?

need help.

Thanks.

BR/Cathy
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-07-15 11:46 PM (#91505 - in reply to #91504)
Subject: RE: Head Stand Problem

How did you learn this headstand?
cen7sc2c
Posted 2007-07-16 3:27 AM (#91511 - in reply to #91505)

Hi,

i was instructed to place my hand at the correct position, then walk my leg in till my body reach a vertical level, then push my leg up one by one.

But i never manage to push both of my leg up, as when ever my head is upside down, i feel lost.

/Cath
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-07-16 7:41 AM (#91519 - in reply to #91511)

Instructed where, and by whom?

cen7sc2c - 2007-07-16 3:27 AM

Hi,

i was instructed to place my hand at the correct position, then walk my leg in till my body reach a vertical level, then push my leg up one by one.

But i never manage to push both of my leg up, as when ever my head is upside down, i feel lost.

/Cath
tourist
Posted 2007-07-16 10:29 AM (#91525 - in reply to #91519)

Expert Yogi

cathy - If you have only been practicing 6 months, I would suggest leaving headstand for awhile and come back to it in another 6 months or so. It is a pose that really requires some close work with a teacher to learn well and prevent injuries. If you really, really want to keep working on it without hurting yourself, you can place your hands, do the "walk up" part and DO NOT try to lift your legs up. Some people call this dolphin pose and it is a safe way to learn the actions of headstand. It is hard work! Enjoy your yoga

Posted 2007-07-16 12:21 PM (#91549 - in reply to #91525)

There are many reasons that someone can't (or shouldn't) do headstand. A common reason for beginners (especially women) is lack of upper body strength. Another is lack of core strength. Do poses that build upper body and core strength. As already mentioned, dolphin is also good practice for headstand. (People who usually shouldn't do headstand include people with neck injuries, who are very overweight, have blood pressure problems, diabetes, glaucoma, have had cataract surgery or retina problems.) Headstand should be learned with a competent teacher and can be dangerous if learned from a book or DVD. Although there are benefits to headstand, there are also many dangers and some people permanently injure their necks doing headstand. Again, find an experienced teacher and do other poses until then. Headstand is not a requirement for anything. It is one of many poses that may or may not be appropriate for an individual at a particular time.

Posted 2007-07-16 3:10 PM (#91577 - in reply to #91504)

Hi Cath,

You've got many sound answers here to your inquiry.
Of all the asanas yoga has to offer, they all can be found elsewhere with the exception of inversions. This is one of the reasons Sirsasana (headstand) and Sarvangasana (shoulderstand) are considered king and queen. Iyengar himself, when asked what three poses he would do if he could only do three, said, "Sirsasana, Sarvangasana, and Savasana".

You do not mention your training or methods in your question so it is not possible to tell if you are working with a teacher, in what ways you are working, and in what discipline. With more information in the question there is the real possibility of a more robust and accurate reply.

There are, as mentioned elsewhere, considerations, precautions, and contraindications for inversions.
However you are mentioning an emotional issue with the pose. So here is what I'd like to share with you.

The first thing is that the student must have the appropriate actions developed in their body. This is done with a skilled teacher as the actions are built upon one another just as any skill is. Fundamentals first, then intermediate actions, then going up with assistance, then going up on your own (as an example). So I am advocating proper preparations for Sirsasana. Without such things it is, to me, inappropriate to take a student up in the pose. This presumes I've checked in with the student and verified there's no blood presssure issue, glaucoma, or other malady that would warrant not going up.

The second thing is the larger concept of turning one's perspective upside down. It is incredibly common to have apprehension or fear in this regard. And it is completly okay not to invert until a time when you are ready and able to meet the feelings that are coming up. It is one of the very points of yoga and you are blessed to have such an experience arise.

If you are working with a skilled teach who is building an asana curriculum with you AND will take you up the first time personally, I think this will mitigate some of what you are feeling. Once that has happened I suspect much of that fear will be released and you may find yourself feeling very "good".

Edited by purnayoga 2007-07-16 3:13 PM

Posted 2007-07-16 4:28 PM (#91584 - in reply to #91577)

Although the Iyengar tradition gives great importance to Sirsasana (headstand) and Sarvangasana (shoulderstand), other traditions give them lesser importance and some traditions don't do them at all. Yoga poses are tools. Initially, you need to follow a teacher and their system to learn how to do the poses correctly; how to use the tools safely. After that, you need to learn to use the tools for yourself (self-awareness). There really isn't a correct or ideal pose; there is only what is healthy for you right now and what is likely to cause injury right now. This applies to both which poses you choose to practice and how you practice them. This can change from day to day and from decade to decade. The goal of the poses (in addition to strength, flexibility, balance and opening) is to develop an awareness that transcends schools of thought and even thought itself.

Posted 2007-07-16 9:46 PM (#91606 - in reply to #91504)

Cathy,

I would only add this to Jim's insightful reply. Some poses cause injury over time rather than right now. So while it is absolutely correct that what matters is what is safe right now, I would not embrace the phrase "there is only". Yoga (rather than asana) warrants that we do not do harm. Therefore it is in the context of yoga that the student not be harmed over time as well as in the moment.

there is only what is healthy for you right now and what is likely to cause injury right now. This applies to both which poses you choose to practice and how you practice them. This can change from day to day and from decade to decade.

Edited by purnayoga 2007-07-16 9:51 PM

Posted 2007-07-16 10:38 PM (#91610 - in reply to #91606)

Gordon,
Thank you for adding that.
Jim
cen7sc2c
Posted 2007-07-17 3:53 AM (#91632 - in reply to #91577)

Hi All,

Thank and really appreacite your replies. I learn from a Yoga centre, But normally the class has about 20 students... so teacher can not really pay full attention to everyone.

For those who can not do it, the teacher will help to pull the legs up and hold it there. But this doesnt help me to do it independently. End up, wihtout the help of teacher to hold on to my leg, i will never be able to do the headstand.

BR/Cathy.
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-07-17 7:27 AM (#91635 - in reply to #91504)

cen7sc2c - 2007-07-15 10:42 PM Hi, I'm new in this forum. I have been practising yoga only for the past 6 months. I'm having difficulty doing headstand. Whenever my head is upside down, i feel lost and scare. I lost control of myself and till now still not able to do the headstand. Anyone have the same problem? or anyone can tell me what should i do to over come this problem? need help. Thanks. BR/Cathy

Hi there! I can tell you from my personal experience that six months is really not that long to have been practicing yoga, let alone getting over the fear of going upside down. Really. I've been actively and diligently practicing for just over three years now, and I know that for almost the first entire year, there was no way I was getting my hips up over my head, let alone staying there and balancing. Handstand was even a huger obstacle for me, with its sensation of "falling up" for me -- veeeeeeery scary. And since I'm physically strong and adept, I knew that my problem wasn't a physical one so much as a psychological one: I had yet to develop the proper attitude toward inverting. But being an avid student of yogic philosophy as well as the asana practice, I began to learn that it really was my way of thinking that was getting in the way of my practice, and that I needed to learn more of the "proper" way of yogic thinking before I could ever achieve these poses.

You know, it really is true that the more you learn, the more you realize how much you don't know! Have patience with yourself, and do acknowledge your fear in this particular asana practice. Pushing fear away or denying it won't help you eliminate it, trust me. If there's anything I've learned in all of the training I've been doing these past few years, is that acceptance of what ails you, embracing it even, is the first step to progress. Not resignation, but rather an empowered acceptance; the Anusara style of yoga calls this "opening to grace", if helps at all.

So that might mean that you don't even attempt to kick up and just stay in the prep pose for headstand, both feet still touching the floor, and linger a bit in the sensations that you experience there. Or not. Honestly, there really isn't any pressure to perform in yoga class. Though I do remember always feeling "how come everyone else in the class can do it and I can't?!" and it would torment me so. That's the work, you know. Learning how to not allow such things to torment you. The asana is just bonus.

Good luck!

kulkarnn
Posted 2007-07-17 8:13 AM (#91644 - in reply to #91632)

Thanks. In this particular case (that is you), WRONG METHOD OF LEARNING HEADSTAND. My suggestion: Discard this method for Headstand. And, take a lesson with an experienced teacher only for headstand. Example: You can see my details on the website. But, in 1991, I paid 130 dollars to an experienced teacher ONLY to learn headstand in one single sitting. He costs much more now.

cen7sc2c - 2007-07-17 3:53 AM

Hi All,

Thank and really appreacite your replies. I learn from a Yoga centre, But normally the class has about 20 students... so teacher can not really pay full attention to everyone.

For those who can not do it, the teacher will help to pull the legs up and hold it there. But this doesnt help me to do it independently. End up, wihtout the help of teacher to hold on to my leg, i will never be able to do the headstand.

BR/Cathy.

Posted 2007-07-17 1:32 PM (#91677 - in reply to #91632)

Agree with Neel.
The description you offer, holding legs up, is not the teaching nor is it the assistance that I have in mind. It is also not the method that I employ with students as taught to me by my teacher, as taught to him by his teacher, as taught to him by Krishnamacharya, I suppose.

In Sirsasana the student first develops the action of the serratus anterior in Adho Mukha Svanasana. If this preceding sentence seems like gibberish or you do not know what I just wrote, then you've no business going up in the pose, unless of course you are blessed with an innate ability to do the proper action without being shown, told, or taught.

Second the student must learn to bring the spine into the torso toward the front body. If you are thinking "move my spine?" then you've no business going up in the pose. Keep in mind I am speaking only from my lineage, my discipline, my teachings. For Brand X yoga it may be perfectly "fine" to do sirsasana in the hallway at the Manhattan Sheraton or sarvangasana on the lava rock at Diamond Head.

There are specific preparation "activities" that are taught before taking students up in the pose. If these are not being taught AND the student does not already poses those actions then simply do not go up. Continue to work adho mukha svanasana (porperly) and ardha uttansana at the wall. Or let go of the idea that you need or want to go up in sirsasana.

cen7sc2c - 2007-07-16 12:53 AM

Hi All,

BR/Cathy.

Edited by purnayoga 2007-07-17 1:33 PM
TampaEric
Posted 2007-07-17 2:43 PM (#91682 - in reply to #91632)

The only thing I would like to add is that you must learn to fall or come down. Once your alignment is correct the only way down is with baddha or falling down.

You have to find a way up, stay there (without movement) and find a way down

Posted 2007-07-20 12:17 PM (#92020 - in reply to #91504)

Of course.
What I am saying is that you can find forward bends, back bends, twists, and standing poses in "other" things. Maybe those other things are martial arts. Maybe they are pilates. Maybe they are gymnastics. But it is only in yoga that you find inversions.

Edited by purnayoga 2007-07-20 12:17 PM

Posted 2007-07-20 5:25 PM (#92061 - in reply to #91504)

There are certainly inversions in gymnastics.

Posted 2007-07-20 11:00 PM (#92073 - in reply to #91504)

Yes that's true. I suppose that was both a poor analogy and a poor expression on my part.

I should have used something other than gymnastics as I was thinking about modalities with an efficacy relative to sirsasana and sarvangasana where the body is still connected to earth energy.

Apologies.
anuj
Posted 2007-11-07 3:16 AM (#99150 - in reply to #91504)

hey man , contact to a good teacher, and dont take it normally. First learn the technique properly from any experienced teacher, all the best

anuj yogi
Barney
Posted 2007-11-10 7:45 AM (#99318 - in reply to #91504)

This is my experience that I would like to share with you all. According to Light on Yoga by Shri Iyengar with Headstand you may get neck, shoulder and back problems if not done correctly. What Cathy shared with us too is correct. I myself had such problems of losing yourself when you are about to arrive at the final pose/position and when you are unstable.

But as suggested in Light on Yoga text book, I practiced doing Sirsasana for several(probably 6-8 months) in the corner of the room where you will get 90* separation placing your hands 3inches away from wall. Then I started to do it from any side of the wall.

I'm right now still continue to rise my legs and bend at knees and rise them up to balance without any support in the center of the room.

As always try to feel the movements and feel that you are comfortable otherwise drop from wherever you are in the pose slowly and try to study where you are making mistake. In this way you can gain confidence and correct yourself and ultimately you will will be able to do it in the center of the room(during initial days i have taken myself to a many fast falls into the ground with my feet)

Hope this is helpful to Cathy for an approach.

Posted 2008-01-02 12:09 AM (#101348 - in reply to #91504)

Point taken though I suspect Guruji did not expect folks to pick up LOY and "learn" asana safely (especially Sirsasana) without a teacher.

On some fronts the book (LOY) has been wildly "successful" and in other ways it has not. After all, it is not so much the tool as it is the human who wields the tool.

Edited by purnayoga 2008-01-02 12:10 AM
brian48026
Posted 2008-02-11 5:00 PM (#103257 - in reply to #91504)

I actually tried my first headstand by "accident"!

Prior to this I had only a few classes worth of practice with an instructor assisting me to do headstand and I always just figured that I'd eventually try it when I thought I was ready.

A few months back I was doing a few successions of bakasana and ended up "falling" on my head. Well, not so much falling as I was just shifting my weight a little TOO forward, so I kind of slowly came down on my head. At that point, my head on the ground and my hands still firmly planted I seemed to have an epiphany to move into supported headstand (Salamba Sirsasana I). I just felt it was the right time, and my mind was definitely in the right place -- probably the most important part. I made a few adjustments from what I learned from my teacher prior to this and several things I've read and sure enough I slightly adjusted my head position, walked my legs up, engaged my core, and slowly lifted my legs and ended up staying in position for about 6 breaths or so.

Some days I feel more comfortable in the pose than others now, but I always try to get back into that mental head space of the first time I tried it.

I agree though about getting proper instruction and do several other poses that will lead you to a better head stand if that's the journey you're looking to take. Be it Bakasana (I personally kind of have a little love affair with Bakasana and I think that leads me to having a "better" headstand, generally speaking.) Ardha Sirsasana, or even just practicing it against the wall in your studio to help you mentally.

Orbilia
Posted 2008-02-12 5:02 AM (#103288 - in reply to #91682)

My Iyengar teacher does not expect anyone to do any standing inversion until they have been practising from 18 months to two years minimum. Even then, she's only happy for you to go up when you've mastered the correct actions (as described above) in other postures such as the plough.

I share your apprehension about inversion (I've been practising for 8-9 years) and have only ever done one full inversion - a wall-supported handstand with the aid of two partners who were there to ensure I had control in the pose (I'm more than strong enough).

You can get the benefits from inversions from other postures that are less demanding on the mental courage front such as legs up the wall pose. Technically, even downward-facing dog is an inversion as your heart is above your head in this pose.

In addition to the physical limitations already noted above, not being able to fully open the armpit can be another issue in inversions. My teacher has me practising the arm posture for elbow balance at the wall currently as my rotator cuffs are limiting my arm action for example.

Fee

Edited by Orbilia 2008-02-12 5:06 AM
jim b
Posted 2008-03-29 10:59 PM (#105613 - in reply to #91504)

headstand no problem

After approx 27 yrs sporadic practice, with last several devoted to sun salutes daily in early morning, I settled into a headstand series that has endured now approx. 30 months.

I began it to address a dental crown problem that was not feeling too good.

A cpl of months and I forgot which tooth hurt.

Now the headstand is very comfortable and rewarding.

I used to time it, trying to work up to ten minutes, which I attained by counting.

Then I used a little clock that I could see.

Then I forgot about the time. Who cares?

I find lots of rest and comfort in the headstand, which I learned many years ago. I have had at least a dozen teachers.

I recommend the headstand, but you have to be comfotable and confident there.

Also it has to be part of a set, followed by plough, shoulder stand, fish, and mudra.

All poses I know and do are awkward to start, then become very roomy and comforting.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)