YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

paschimottanasana
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

tourist
Posted 2007-07-17 8:28 PM (#91712 - in reply to #91705)
Subject: RE: paschimottanasana

Expert Yogi

BKS has been known to say that sometimes (and I believe he was speaking of students with special physical needs specifically, but I think it applies to others as well) we need to give "pleasing poses" (what they want) until they are ready to "do more" (what we want to give). I firmly believe that a good 25% of new students could be taught tadasana and savasana, maybe 10 minutes each, and come out of class feeling like a million bucks. After a few weeks of that they would be begging for more...
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2007-07-17 10:10 PM (#91721 - in reply to #91522)

well, that's kind of what i've run into, tourist.

i have found that my level 1 students (am class) are really enjoying working the basics in depth. the first class, we did tadasana and breathing. the second class, we did tadasana, breathing, and forward bend (modified). third class, we did tadasana, breathing, forward bend, upward-facing forward bend. fourth class, we did those plus downward dog. people are happy learning in depth. and, there's lots of theory going on (talking about the 'mind-aspect' of yoga, underlying philosophies, the why of doing it).

one of the students in level 2 wants "more poses" because we "keep doing the same ones over and over." another student pointed out that "well, if we don't get the basics, we really can't build on them. and she's trying to get us through and into the basics safely and effectively, so that we can build on that. i've been to a class of hers at another place, and those students do some really advanced stuff and their basics are great. so, we do need to get the basics."

but, i also realized that they're getting frustrated. and in being frustrted, they're coming up against ego, against mind. i bring that up (as well as my method and the reasoning for choosing this sequencing), and they "get it" but they're still frustrated.

so, i realize, that this is not what they want--and it could be said that it's not truly what they're ready for.

i see with them that perhaps they need more therapeutic work. i'm ok with this--i love therapeutic work. the whole thing needs to be backed off.

i was reading my NZ friend's book about Aus yoga teachers, and one talks about "shadow yoga" which are the postures that help with life--standing, sitting, squating, lunging, and reclining. he said that these should be practiced and learned first, before really getting into any yoga postures per se (of course, he's using various modifications of yoga postures to achieve this). On further study of his 'shadow yoga' in theory, and study of my own practice and books, i think i can reflect something similar based on his theory as my level 1.

and then level 2, can be the therapeutic process that extends out of these most basic processes. this is where we begin the 'collection of postures'--and it is this that may lead people to the awareness for level 3 yoga, learning sun salutations.

which in other venues, is level 1.

so, i realized that i simply wasn't meeting the student's needs, which is why we were both/all becoming frustrated.

and, i should say that this is only one class (of 6) and not the majority of my students or classes. and in that class (of 6, which is 18 in the fall, winter, and spring) only 2 students were upset. but, it was enough for me to deeply re-evaluate my process.

and i think that this is a workable solution where the other 16 students will be happy. those who want to simply be lead, can be lead through a simple process of postures which will bring them great benefit. those who want to learn can learn a number of postures that will help them practice yoga. and everyone can be happy with it.

not that it's not going to havve challenging moments, but i feel it's the right move.

Posted 2007-07-17 10:12 PM (#91722 - in reply to #91522)

I often worry that I'm missing the mark too much in class. Neel's post reflects what I feel my teacher may think about my practice at times.

it's not about missing the mark too much, or what have you. it's really about attention and attentiveness to the process.

"a good teacher" (as neel may put it) can tell the difference between missing the mark for the 'wrong' reasons, and missing the mark while being in the 'right place' at the mental levels.

at least, i think i can. sometimes.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-07-17 10:40 PM (#91726 - in reply to #91703)

Dear David: ZB has already correctly expressed my viewpoint. It is not what perfection you can demo as a good student, but what is your attitude, dedication, and sincerity to the practice is what makes you a good student. I am sure you shall do great.

davidv2.2 - 2007-07-17 6:52 PM

kulkarnn - 2007-07-16 11:54 AM
... Only good Yoga Student can get a good Yoga Instruction from a good Yoga Teacher. A good Yoga Teacher must not waste energy on a non good Yoga Student too much.

As someone new but somewhat old for a beginner at asana practice, I often worry that I'm missing the mark too much in class. Neel's post reflects what I feel my teacher may think about my practice at times. That's not a complaint though-- I'm grateful to read this insight.
davidv2.2
Posted 2007-07-17 11:26 PM (#91729 - in reply to #91703)

Thank you, and I hope I did not express myself inappropriately. I meant to convey appreciation for the quoted insight, as I find it very good food for thought. Grace may come eventually, but a student's full awareness can help the Yoga Instruction/learning process every class. That's very helpful.

Since this is the Teacher's forum -- which is something I'm not -- I'll be quiet now
raquel
Posted 2007-07-18 7:41 AM (#91751 - in reply to #91522)

Well it was very informative here every ones views thanks

Zoebird, my first yoga teacher was great, but he wasnt too fussy about alignment, he thought it more important that customers have fun, and a nice time. He was a bit of a comedian - he used to say as long as their not hurting themselves, why worry? Although the alignment is important, they cant do it so why fret, as log as they are having a good time thats what matters - its bums on seats he must have got something right because his classes were always packed 20 - 30 people ! I think his classes were suitable for clients that want a bit of a stretch and a bit of company, and he gave them that, He suggested to me that if I wanted to get more serious about alignment and yoga in general, I should go to this teacher , and he gave me her card.

When I went there it was a completely different experience, no music, bright lights, mats long ways, and at first the teacher seemed quite abrupt, there was no jokes, stories and banter, hundreds of instructions about minor details, bandhas, vinyasas, spiralling I left wondering what it was all about.

I carried on going twice a week to her and once to him, so that I could suss out what I prefered. And found such a depth to her teaching which I thoroughly enjoyed. She only taught basic postures, to learn the basics, the variety of postures were no were near my other teachers, but she truly inspired me to understand that yoga is not shape making - its what is happening within the shape that matters

both my previous teachers were good in their own way they both had their own stye to offer, and there own clientel, the world is full of lots of types of people and I think there is a place for it all

om shanti

Posted 2007-07-18 3:18 PM (#91784 - in reply to #91522)

david:

your experience and insights are very helpful and informative, even on a teachers forum. or perhaps, especially on a teacher's forum.

rachel:

i think that it is absoltuely right for teachers to teach differently. my classes are a mixture between the two extremes--there's lots of laughter, fun, and not-taking-oneself-too-seriously going on in my classes. but, there's also attention to detail, learning the postures, and so on.

but, i'm not a teacher like your first teacher, who is totally ok with just letting them "have fun." that's a great thing--and i know a lot of great teachers who DO teach that way, and i like that. i even take their classes (gasp! lol).

and, in this instance, i felt that if the students really do want someone who will simply lead, then i would find such a teacher for them. in fact, i know many--and i know a couple of aerobics instructors at the facility who are chomping at the bit for my job. so, it's not as if i'm attached to the job.

i just needed to recognize 1. what i do and how it is different from others (and not less valuable as some have asserted on occassion), and 2. how i can give the students what they want/need, while still fulfilling my own sense of what my job is and how i do it (you know, not 'selling out' my talent, perspective, etc--not that that shouldn't be re-evaluated entirely, and it has been on numerous occasions, including this one).

i have a lot of students. my business is crazy-busy and i love it. i prefer to teach classes smaller than 15--though i've taught classes of 150 or more (with 6 assistants) on occasion. Size of the class doesn't really matter to me, and i don't think it's a real indication of how good the teacher is, per se, though i understand that it is the "new standard." i'm ok with others using that standards to know if they're "in the right place"--but it's not a standard i use for myself.

though, i do beg that question too sometimes.
raquel
Posted 2007-07-19 2:13 AM (#91833 - in reply to #91522)

I know what you mean, I think we all need to find our own way, and attract like minded students.
My favourite number of people is twelve, I wouldnt fancy teaching 30.

I think working in the gym you have to keep the numbers up or the class gets cancelled, this is probably why some teachers give them what they want

Posted 2007-07-19 11:28 AM (#91877 - in reply to #91522)

i find that yoga studios are more interested in numbers than the gyms where i work. in the facilities where i work, i need only have 3 students, regularly, to maintain a class. but at the yoga studios where i've worked (even the new ones), they'll switch teachers if the classroom isn't at least half full.

it's pretty wild.
tourist
Posted 2007-07-19 11:44 AM (#91882 - in reply to #91877)

Expert Yogi

Our studio has a number that we need to meet to break even. It is in the 10 - 12 range. If we have enough classes that are full, we can afford to run a few that are under the "magic" number. This is one of the benefits of being a non-profit society. The bottom line is not the determining factor except in the sense that we have to stay in the black.

Posted 2007-07-19 4:07 PM (#91930 - in reply to #91882)

The health club where I work wants an average of 7 students. I have had as many as 25 and as few as 4. Most classes have between 8 and 14. I agree that 12 is a good number, but if you only have 4, you can give them almost a private lesson and if you have over 20, there is a tremendous amount of energy generated with is also fun. Not knowing how many students I will have or what their skill level will be makes each class unique and an challenge. It keeps me flexible!
TampaEric
Posted 2007-07-19 4:28 PM (#91932 - in reply to #91930)

I'm going through a numbers thing myself.

Flow on Tues is standing room only. I must of had 30 last tuesday. It was almost comical when a few people came in late.

Ashtanga, Friday nights are not doing well. I had 4 two weeks ago, 7 last week. Sunday ashtanga is better 15-20.. sometimes 25, rare 10-12.

I want to convince some of my student to "graduate" to Ashtanga. But they seem to really dig my flow class. I'm going to start recruitment!
raquel
Posted 2007-07-20 8:42 AM (#91985 - in reply to #91522)

Its summer here and the numbers have really dropped so I have cancelled a lot of my classes, Hatha class was full had 10, dynamic yoga 8, Ashtanga 11, some of my morning classes really slacked off because children off school I was only getting 4-5 so decided to cancel until september, Im glad for a bit of a break myself though as I can focus on my own practice more

As long as I get 5 I can do the class. however, a couple of ladies have decided they want private classes whilst there is a break. So I am still busy
TampaEric
Posted 2007-07-20 2:02 PM (#92034 - in reply to #91985)

I know what you mean. Sometimes it feels like I'm always squeezing in my practice, shortening it and not taking enough time for me, too..

Posted 2007-07-20 3:07 PM (#92046 - in reply to #91522)

my practice this week has been so sad. i feel weird.

my car died on sunday, and ryan and i have decided to use one car for a while. so far, it goes well for us. i have to drive him to work 4 days a week (no problem really), and we have to negotiate weekends. but the real issue is that typically, my AM practice is when he leaves for work. So instead of practice, i get 30 minutes in the car taking him to work, and 20 mintues in the car coming back home or heading toward one of my classes.

if i'm lucky, when ig et to where my class is, i can find a corner and practice for about 20 minutes. right now, i only get my afternoon and late evening practice. it's so sad! not really. i'm just fussy about it.

i'm happy with all of my numbers, honestly. i like working for gyms because they leave me alone.
raquel
Posted 2007-07-21 2:39 PM (#92125 - in reply to #91522)

You poor love, I have kids off school and they are 4 and seven year old boys, we have fun doing yoga together but I cannot find time to get a decent practice with peace and quiet, by the time theyre in bed I dont even have energy to meditate!!!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)