YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Receiving diksha
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga as Self-RealizationMessage format

Seekernorth
Posted 2007-07-16 11:04 AM (#91537)
Subject: Receiving diksha

Hi. I'm wondering about receiving diksha (sometimes written diksa) from more than one yoga master or swami.

Does diksha connect the receiver to a teacher who gives it - in some exclusive way? Is there any rule or fact that says one cannot receive diksha from more than one teacher or master?

I've read Swamki Rama's book "Living with the Himalayan Masters" and, while he seemed to have ONE guru - who picked him out even before he was born, having approached his parents - you get the sense that he received diksha from numerous empowered, gifted, and enlightened teachers.

I'm not really wondering about verbal teaching, philosophy, etc. Strictly about initiations/empowerments (diksha). Thanks.

Namaste,

Seekernorth
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-07-16 12:32 PM (#91553 - in reply to #91537)
Subject: RE: Receiving diksha

Spiritual Diksha is received ONLY from ONE master, never from many. Secular learning can be gotten from many teachers. Sometimes, there is a Diksha given in secular learning as well. For example Diksha of Indian Classical Dance, D of Indian Classical Music, etc. But, Spiritual? Only one. So, make sure you are comfortable with that. And, as for Swami Rama's story. That is not a standard, that is one particular instance. In particular instances many exceptions occur. For example, the spiritual world, there is ONLY one example in the UNIVERSE known where a married couple lived without intercourse and happily. And, that is Shree Ramakrishna Paramhansa.

OM Shree Raamakrishnaaya Namah sahasrayugaparyantam.. I bow down to Shree Ramakrishna Paramahansa until thousands of ages to come.

However, one can not imitate him, not even Swami Vivekananda.

Seekernorth - 2007-07-16 11:04 AM

Hi. I'm wondering about receiving diksha (sometimes written diksa) from more than one yoga master or swami.

Does diksha connect the receiver to a teacher who gives it - in some exclusive way? Is there any rule or fact that says one cannot receive diksha from more than one teacher or master?

I've read Swamki Rama's book "Living with the Himalayan Masters" and, while he seemed to have ONE guru - who picked him out even before he was born, having approached his parents - you get the sense that he received diksha from numerous empowered, gifted, and enlightened teachers.

I'm not really wondering about verbal teaching, philosophy, etc. Strictly about initiations/empowerments (diksha). Thanks.

Namaste,

Seekernorth
Seekernorth
Posted 2007-07-16 3:19 PM (#91580 - in reply to #91553)

kulkarnn - 2007-07-16 9:32 AM

Spiritual Diksha is received ONLY from ONE master, never from many. Secular learning can be gotten from many teachers. Sometimes, there is a Diksha given in secular learning as well. For example Diksha of Indian Classical Dance, D of Indian Classical Music, etc. But, Spiritual? Only one. So, make sure you are comfortable with that. And, as for Swami Rama's story. That is not a standard, that is one particular instance. In particular instances many exceptions occur. For example, the spiritual world, there is ONLY one example in the UNIVERSE known where a married couple lived without intercourse and happily. And, that is Shree Ramakrishna Paramhansa.

Thank you so much.

I have some further questions and would like your views:

1. I myself and numerous friends and acquaintances have grown through contact with, and work with, a succession of "teachers" - some of whom may have empowered us in certain specific tangible ways. In other words, a process or empowerment on the "energetic" level may have taken place. But we have regarded these teachers, benefactors though they be, as milestones along the way. The "teachings" I'm speaking of are something more than theoretical or intellectual. The empowerment may have stuck with us. But... ?? In other words, is there not often a progression?

2. What about when one recognizes that a particular teacher or master is highly evolved, and after sitting with such an individual one simply asks for his or her blessing on one's path. In what way is this similar to or different from true Diksha in the sense that you've used the term?

Thanks.

Namaste,

Seekernorth
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-07-16 3:57 PM (#91583 - in reply to #91580)

Seekernorth - 2007-07-16 3:19 PM

kulkarnn - 2007-07-16 9:32 AM

Thank you so much.

I have some further questions and would like your views:

1. I myself and numerous friends and acquaintances have grown through contact with, and work with, a succession of "teachers" - some of whom may have empowered us in certain specific tangible ways. In other words, a process or empowerment on the "energetic" level may have taken place. But we have regarded these teachers, benefactors though they be, as milestones along the way. The "teachings" I'm speaking of are something more than theoretical or intellectual. The empowerment may have stuck with us. But... ?? In other words, is there not often a progression?

===> Yes one may learn from and also be affected essentially by many teachers or personalities on the way. Thus, there is a progression. But, all of them are not masters of that person. All of them can be respected or even worshipped. But, only the master is worshipped as a chosen Deity - Ishta Devata, almost like the Almighty God, even more than that!

2. What about when one recognizes that a particular teacher or master is highly evolved, and after sitting with such an individual one simply asks for his or her blessing on one's path. In what way is this similar to or different from true Diksha in the sense that you've used the term?
===> Asking for blessing in such a person's presence is not a problem. Blessing is different from asking to become a master. Blessing = a well wish of spiritual or higher order. Masterhood = taking full responsibility. Dikshaa in the secular sense means a student is accepted for a disciplined subject such as music, art, whatever. Dikshaa in the Spiritual Sense means the Student and Master have accepted each other in that sense and both of them are now one.

Spiritual Dikshaa is not received by asking from a master. And, also a real master gives it only when a student is ready, not because a student is zelous or financially well, etc. Most of the masters you see in the magazines today are not real masters, they are at best socially good leaders. Socially good leader is different from master.

In fact, the student does not have to worry about the master coming. Master comes when student is ready.

Thanks for bringing up this topic in the weeks of Shree Guru Pournima (see my post in the General Thread above).

Thanks.

Namaste,

Seekernorth
Seekernorth
Posted 2007-07-19 10:19 AM (#91868 - in reply to #91537)

So, I believe you are making a complete distinction between the meaning and function of diksha from that of shaktiput or something of the sort. One might receive an energy transfer (that might be called "shaktiput", or some such term) at the time of being blessed or taught a method or technique. But this would be different from diksha.

A shaktiput or similar energy transfer might empower a path of exploration and development, but would not imply the same order of unity between teacher and disciple.

Would you say that I have that straight? Thanks.

Namaste,

Seekernorth
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-07-19 10:49 AM (#91873 - in reply to #91868)

In a way, yes. But, I want to state it as follows:

Shaktipaata Dikshaa should neither be received nor be given in general. Only in a particular case, it makes sense.

Seekernorth - 2007-07-19 10:19 AM

So, I believe you are making a complete distinction between the meaning and function of diksha from that of shaktiput or something of the sort. One might receive an energy transfer (that might be called "shaktiput", or some such term) at the time of being blessed or taught a method or technique. But this would be different from diksha.

A shaktiput or similar energy transfer might empower a path of exploration and development, but would not imply the same order of unity between teacher and disciple.

Would you say that I have that straight? Thanks.

Namaste,

Seekernorth
Seekernorth
Posted 2007-07-25 3:46 PM (#92582 - in reply to #91537)

Numerous gurus and baba's are in the habit of giving shaktipat to people within a gethering... people who have simply come for their darshan or to hear them speak. These teachers don't seem to require any special commitment or an ongoing relationship or teacher-disciple link. They simply give out shaktipat to anyone around them who is capable of receiving it.

So how are we to regard this?

I'm still assuming this isn't diksha in the sense to which you were originally refering.

Namaste,

Seekernorth
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-07-25 5:25 PM (#92592 - in reply to #92582)

Seekernorth - 2007-07-25 3:46 PM

Numerous gurus and baba's are in the habit of giving shaktipat to people within a gethering... people who have simply come for their darshan or to hear them speak. These teachers don't seem to require any special commitment or an ongoing relationship or teacher-disciple link. They simply give out shaktipat to anyone around them who is capable of receiving it.

So how are we to regard this?
===> This is what I suggest as my Last Comment on this particular statement: Meet number of people (say at least 100) who received such a Shaktipaata and evaluate their Spiritual or otherwise progress over reasonable period (say 5 years) and then take a proper decision.

I'm still assuming this isn't diksha in the sense to which you were originally refering.
===> Yes, you are correct. I would not call it Diksha.

Namaste,

Seekernorth
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)