YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Mark Whitwell workshop
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga WorkshopsMessage format

lovelylotus
Posted 2007-07-16 11:09 PM (#91616)
Subject: Mark Whitwell workshop

I just attended a Mark Whitwell workshop - has anyone ever gone to one or met him.. i would love to know your thoughts
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2007-07-17 12:41 AM (#91620 - in reply to #91616)
Subject: RE: Mark Whitwell workshop

I believe he was presenting at the Yogacharya Festival this past weekend. We were pretty busy so I didn't make it to any other workshops nor do I recall seeing him. Sorry I can't add more.
Yoga Steve
Posted 2007-07-17 8:42 PM (#91715 - in reply to #91616)

Dear LL,
Although I have attended only three of his workshops, I count Mark as one of my teachers and would be happy to discuss his work with you, here or as a private message. He is clearly a force to be reckoned with! I treasure his testimonial that we have all we need right here within us. It is a simple and powerful teaching. Quite a relief, really. And I also love his effort to convince all the individuals in the room of the power of a daily personal practice. I was sold on that prior to Mark and I cherish his going for it with each and every opportunity! And I am sure you heard other instructions as well!
Best,
Steve

Posted 2007-07-17 9:07 PM (#91717 - in reply to #91616)

Oh no LL...you first; that's an old interrogator trick get us talking about our perceptions--you rascal you. But seriously, I have never, no exceptions, been to a workshop that I thought was even close to what was advertized--the presenters have, without exception been disorganized, egotistical, unprepared, and sloppy. Additionally, when queried by the organizers as to my dissatisfaction, I respond professionally with specifics and am never answered. I see them in my mind rolling their eyes and dismissing me as a jaded old guy who's opinions aren't worthy of addressing. But, I don't see it as a total waste of time and m,oney as to date they've been a fine example of how NOT to teach.
lovelylotus
Posted 2007-07-18 12:24 AM (#91731 - in reply to #91616)

So bruce - i am sorry if i dont understand your post - but what are you saying here that workshops are not worth your time?? im confused?
lovelylotus
Posted 2007-07-18 12:24 AM (#91732 - in reply to #91715)

yoga steve you have a message
joscmt
Posted 2007-07-24 5:46 PM (#92455 - in reply to #91616)

Bruce- I think you would be pleasantly surprised--- even through your negative outlook....

I went to a workshop of his down in Miami last year.. and I was planning on attending an Omega event in Ft. Lauderdale that he will be at this year.. but it's out of my travelling time frame (I'm pregnant)-- not to mention I have to save the $$$ for the baby.

But I was blown away by Mark. I wish he was based in this area, so I could be greedy. I have a DVD of his which is great and his book as well. I started a thread about him last fall- maybe if you do a search, but no one really responded.. oh well. I really dig his teachings.

Funny story- he was a few minutes late to his workshop because during the break between the morning and afternoon sessions a lot of us went down to the beach. I was hanging with Shiva Rea's group (I had just taken a class with her.. and she invited the class down to the beach). As I was heading back up to my room to get changed for Mark's workshop (because I didn't want to be late.. ahahaha... )-- he came down to the beach, stripped down nude, and went for a swim... and then got in trouble with the lifeguards!

See Bruce, your kind of guy!! Nudity, trouble, ladies..........

Posted 2007-07-25 12:15 PM (#92553 - in reply to #91616)

bruce:

while this is off topic and i have no clue who this fellow is, i would like your advice on how to best run a workshop.

i've had situations where i was told that my workshop was "disorganized" but i found myself frustrated because the studio owners were the ones who 1. dictated the schedule at the last moment changing it and 2. didn't follow that schedule and changed it at whim while i was trying to lead the workshop. it was madness.

but, i would like to know what makes a good workshop in your opinion.

also, how much information do people really want? for example, i was asked by those studio owners to provide information about the workshop. i provided a flyer--which i was told had too much information. i provided a bullet list--too little information. i provided an itinerary--too little information. i provided a description of each part of the itinerary--too much information.

ultimately, they wrote their own flyers and materials--without asking or informing me--which completely changed the topic and then i had to figure out how to teach that topic within 12 hours, having already planned a completely different workshop.

the clients, thankfully, had a lot of positive feedback with the exception that it "seemed disorganized" and that it "wasn't what i expected based on marketing."

anyway, because of this experience, i would like to know what you think, so that maybe i can gain some more perspective.

right now, i'm planning two or three intensives with a local studio, and also two pocono retreats--one just for revitalization in the autumn beauty, and one for my preconception yoga work. i'd like to know how to do it well, or what your opinion on the whole process is.

i've run workshops in the past--always with positive feedback--but i'm definitely open to fine-tuning my process based on your--or anyone's--experience.

Posted 2007-07-25 8:01 PM (#92604 - in reply to #92553)

ZB, I didn't realize the studios mucked with somebody's presentation as you described--that's unsat. This is perfect timing as just today I received a fler for "Ashtanga weekend with Mary Flynn." The descriptions are lovely...and that's it. All marketing. I went to Mary's workshop not too long ago. I was one of the first one's there and introduced myself. She never even gave me her name--like I'm supposed to know her on site--I just figured she was a fellow attendee. So I ask, "and you are...?" Mary she says and moves on. From the get go it sucked. Here's me and 20 women. Mary partners us up and the first thing is groin-to-groin ustrasana (camel)--OK, I'm 6'1", 200lbs and this unknown woman partner is 5', 100lbs. We were not compatible partners. That's just a couple of examples. Went to a Jimukti workshop (that really sucked) with some self-proclaimed Jimukti royal woman who babbled for an hour about her guru. Well baby YOU ain't my guru and your guru certainly ain't my guru--plus she was an hour late showing up. Man, I'm getting pi$$ed just typing this. None of the workshops hosts ever present a professional image I think. Introduce yourself, tell me why you're here and why I should be here. DOn't just rely on a stream of consciousness to dazzle me. I paid and set aside time to be at the workshop so at least don't act like you're doing me a favor--treat me like a customer who'll benefit from your appearance. It's the first few minutes ZB, like in so many other facets of life--set the stage, assume I don't know $hit about you, don't rely on bull$hit pontification, plan for the unexpected (like being late and people will be of different sizes should you partner them up and don't go for groin-to-groin out of the chute). Wish I could type like you kiddo I could go in for hours on this but don't have the time right now. Maybe I'll write more up in Word over the next few days then post.
joscmt
Posted 2007-07-25 10:45 PM (#92613 - in reply to #91616)

ZB- I PM'd you last year about Mark Whitwell.. I think you'd dig his work. He's from New Zealand (just as a fact, not the reason why you would like him )

I like workshop descriptions that are concise, but that do not go on for days. And not a lot of flowery yoga-speak... I think that new age talk can freak people out a bit. I also am not a fan when people talk from a soapbox--- for instance, I skipped out on a workshop in Miami last year because I was tired and wanted to chill.. it was more of a lecture, less of a yoga class- but it turned into this big pro-vegetarian rally. Which I found to be over the top. I think it's one thing to teach people- I think it's another to push yourself, your practice, and your beliefs on them. But I didn't get any of this when I worked with you last summer. I found you to be very straightforward, honest, and informative.... and fun to chat with!!

Posted 2007-07-26 8:49 AM (#92636 - in reply to #91616)

it's so strange, you aren't the first to talk about these issues with me.

i find that i tend to arrive at least 30 to 45 minutes early at the venue to make sure that everything is clean, organized, and that i have time to talk with the venue owner (who usually shows up about 10 minutes before the start of the workshop--so i started to put it into the contract that they show up 45 minutes before the start of the workshop) and make sure that everything is going to run smoothly, that everyone has a job. i ask the venue owner or one of the desk people be there to check people in and introduce themselves.

then, as people are coming in, i introduce myself individually, ask if they have any special needs, discover how much yoga experience they have, ask what they ate before they came and when, how they're feeling that day, and then i introduce my assistants, i explain that they'll be assisting, and i tell them that they can ask an assistant questions (quietly) if i'm not near them, and i also ask (and make sure that the assistants hear) whether or not they are ok with touch-based assists. If not, we put a red dot sticker on the front and back of their mats, so that everyone knows not to touch them. we explain the reasoning behind this, and then the assistants help them set up into the room.

once everyone is settled, i ask the group if there are any specific questions or special requests before we get started. at this point, i'll give an overview of what we'll be doing--and ask if there are any questions about that. I then ask "are we ready?" and then when everyone says "yes" then we begin.

once the class is through, i tell them that they can stay in the room (meditating, whatever) and that my assistants and I will be outside to answer questions. I stand outside ready to answer questions, also to simply say good bye to everyone and to ask them if they felt it was beneficial. I ask them to fill out a form--and i provide a stamped envelope for them--so that i can get feedback.

i generally run very well organized workshops--so it was quite a surprise to learn that this behavior isn't common. i mean, i'm surprized by your post, Bruce!

of course, the yoga teachers with whom i have worked are quite professional overall, even though classes aren't quite as organized as mine are. I learned that mine have to be very organized, because i always run out of time if i don't keep a close watch on the time.

for example, last nite is a regular class (7 pm) that we moved back 15 mintues because the students wanted more time (it's usually 55 mintues) and there is a new class after us (at 8 pm on the dot--Krav Maga, they get pretty intense about their time slot. LOL). so, we started on time, and i finished just two minutes before 8. i swear, i wanted to finish at 5 til, but the time got away from me.

we were doing some really dynamic work in that class, and i got caught up in the teaching, and lost track of the time. and one time, that class went for two hours. they love it--but i also have to respect people's time, don't i? i mean, i know that time is valuable.

marketing has been interesting. i've mostly been keeping it relatively simple. i start with something simple--classified ad sized--and then provide more information on my web site. if the information isn't enough for the person, i ask them to contact me and i give them more info via email or phone or mail.

honestly, though, sometimes i don't know what people want. i think it's hard to find a balance.

and i agree that language is so important. i try to stay away from "new age" language--largely because i find it confusing, often misused or misunderstood, and also sometimes it's used to shame and manipulate people (as it was used by those studio owners mentioned above, and another one that i know around here. it was madness).

i definitely want to stay away from that. i want it to be clear--what we are doing--and welcoming (that most of these things are open to all).

i think that my materials overall do that. would you be willing to give me feedback on my website as it is now?

thanks.
raquel
Posted 2007-07-26 9:21 AM (#92648 - in reply to #91616)

Hy zoe, Sounds perfect to me

Posted 2007-07-26 9:48 AM (#92652 - in reply to #92648)

And ZB, we all know you can't please all the people all the time.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)