YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

mean mad bikram students
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

TampaEric
Posted 2007-07-17 3:00 PM (#91684)
Subject: mean mad bikram students

I teach Ashtanga and Flow at a Bikram studio....

Last Sunday was the first day that our classes started at 9:00 a.m., instead of 10:00 a.m.

We have a bikram and an ashtanga class now at 9:00 a.m.

Well, a few weeks ago, we put signs in the door, changed our web site and made annoucements. Well, at 9:00 when I started class, I said, well, there will probably be a few people that come at 10:00 today.. kinda laughed and started class.

Sure enough 10:00 came and about a dozen students came to the studio. Another student (who I guess was using the bathroom or knew the code) let the dozen students come in.. Well, the bikram teacher was not going to let anyone join the class for the last 1/2.

I let one student (who is a teacher) into my ashtanga class (thinking she know she is not warmed up). She doesn't pay for classes...either..

Okay, so back to the story.. Then about 10:07 or so, I see the other teacher outside the door. One mean mad bikram student started pointing her fingers at the instructor saying that is was Bull**** and the web site was confusing.. all this stuff.

I mean, there was a sign on the door, we made announcements.. It's just one day. Plus we have a silent bikram class later that day...

I just don't understand how a yoga student could be so ugly to her teacher.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2007-07-18 2:42 PM (#91777 - in reply to #91684)
Subject: RE: mean mad bikram students

Eric,

I'll just pass forward what I believe my teacher would say. And that is this:

Yoga does not make us "better" people it simply makes us more of the person we are.

Posted 2007-07-18 2:54 PM (#91781 - in reply to #91777)

I don't think that Yoga itself does anything good or bad (both culturally based value judgements) for anyone. Yoga presents opportunities. It is up to the individual how to use those opportunities. A knife is a tool that can cut bread or murder someone. Yoga is also a tool. It also must be used wisely.

TampaEric
Posted 2007-07-18 3:03 PM (#91782 - in reply to #91777)

Hey purna,

You are probably right about that. I was just in such shock about it, because the other teacher and I get no help checking people in. We wait until everyone showers. We clean the floors; we make announcements; we are always there early and always try to start class on time.

And it was so unnecessary. The other teacher had to go back in and finish teaching with this on his mind. I just feel bad for yoga students that have that much hostility in them. If it was one of my students, I would have a hard time teaching them after that, you know?

TampaEric
Posted 2007-07-18 3:07 PM (#91783 - in reply to #91781)

I hope you are wrong

Still can't believe one of our students would be pointing her fingers and yelling at the teacher..

We would of compensated her for the next class....But now?
SCThornley
Posted 2007-07-18 3:20 PM (#91785 - in reply to #91777)

purnayoga - 2007-07-18 2:42 PM

Eric,

I'll just pass forward what I believe my teacher would say. And that is this:

Yoga does not make us "better" people it simply makes us more of the person we are.

I just hope that there is room to improve on what we 'are'.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-07-18 3:26 PM (#91787 - in reply to #91684)

She is not a Yoga Student. She is only a person attending a Yoga Class.

TampaEric - 2007-07-17 3:00 PM

SCThornley
Posted 2007-07-18 3:28 PM (#91788 - in reply to #91787)

kulkarnn - 2007-07-18 3:26 PM

She is not a Yoga Student. She is only a person attending a Yoga Class.

TampaEric - 2007-07-17 3:00 PM

to be a Yoga student, just recently I read some of Vishnudevananda's writings on the subject

so true, Neel

serendipitous as well, thank you
Cyndi
Posted 2007-07-18 4:14 PM (#91799 - in reply to #91788)

Expert Yogi

Actually, all of you are being very judgemental and this is not right either.

Obviously, according to the OP, there were lots of students there at 10 am and showed up late. It doesn't take a rocket scientist degree to figure out that the web posting and signs didn't get the message out - Completely. That's always the case when times get changed etc. My teacher calls us when there is a change. She'll call everyone and leave voice messages. IF, I had been attending a regular scheduled class, on a regular basis and showed up to same said class already in session and not allowed in, I would be irritated too. This just shows that this person is in fact a dedicated Yoga Aspirant, not the other way around. How people handle their aggravation is another matter. Some deal with it internally and some deal with it externally, letting it all out. That's not a completely bad thing. Besides, that is how the practice is and we need to have our world's rocked a little bit to teach us how to deal with these kinds of things - that statement applies to ALL persons involved - it's a two way street.

Yep, It's life, what a Biatch sometimes,

Edited by Cyndi 2007-07-18 4:30 PM
yogabrian
Posted 2007-07-18 4:19 PM (#91801 - in reply to #91684)

Sounds like the management did not give enough notice. If that many people came, then I would say next time, post a month in advance and remind everyone, a least a week before you switch a class.

Give the angry guy a free class. Just to be safe.

Cyndi
Posted 2007-07-18 4:31 PM (#91803 - in reply to #91801)

Expert Yogi

yogabrian - 2007-07-18 4:19 PM

Give the angry guy a free class. Just to be safe.

Really!! Spoken like a true business professional!!!
TampaEric
Posted 2007-07-18 4:46 PM (#91807 - in reply to #91803)

Hey guys,

Yes, the management is not always there. I think the owner should of came in or scheduled someone to be there in case other students show up. hindsight...

It is a business...But the teachers should be treated with more respect. "We're the Good Guys."

I'm seriously considering moving to a better studio arrangement.

Posted 2007-07-18 8:29 PM (#91823 - in reply to #91684)

i would say it's not just bikram students.

i have been in a similar situation where a class time was changed. we changed the class time months in advance, changed it on the schedule, put up signs, and i announced in every class (i do not have access to student numbers, but put in a request that all of the students registered in the previous session get a phone call) what the time change was, when it was starting, and that the first few days would be "rocky, so expect interruptions" while the change was taking place.

and, we did have that, and we did have complaints (to me, to the facility, between students, etc).

i feel like this is ok. it's really about timing. i mean, people get so used to one thing, that even if they DO get the message, it doesn't mean that they get the message. habit is huge.

sure, yelling at an 'underling' or someone without the power is problematic, but, it's ok too.

in the instance that happened with me/us, i simply asserted that they could 1. come late and join in "hey those of you just joining us, please do downward dog and cat stretches before jumping in!" and 2. if they wanted, they could make up the class by taking a class at one of the other times i teach at the place, giving them a list of those times.

most feel good, most don't make up the class, and it all works out.

and mine aren't even bikram students.
tmarques
Posted 2007-07-22 1:19 AM (#92154 - in reply to #91781)

jimg - 2007-07-18 2:54 PM

I don't think that Yoga itself does anything good or bad (both culturally based value judgements) for anyone.

Agreed, but it's been my experience (as a student, mind) that people with "bad" or "ugly" attitudes, so to speak, never stick around for long in yoga studios. They seem to feel out of place and end up disappearing. Either that or there are teachers killing them and burying the bodies in the backyard.

Posted 2007-07-22 2:28 AM (#92163 - in reply to #91684)

Really? Have you looked carefully at some of the most popular yoga teachers in 2007?

I'll not disrespect yoga by getting into names but I'd say the proof in the pudding is in the eating and the pudding has an aftertaste which has yet to leave.

Edited by purnayoga 2007-07-22 2:29 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)