YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

whew.. hot hot hot
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

TampaEric
Posted 2007-07-18 2:51 PM (#91780)
Subject: whew.. hot hot hot

So much heat and humidity in the air lately. It is so beautiful. We get these incredible summer thunderstorms almost everyday at 4:00 - 5:00 p.m. Then night falls and everything is cooled by the rain. (humid yes, but cool). Mornings are the best. To everyone that lives in a warm climate, you should wake up early and during the hot afternoon sit in a comfortable chair inside
During lunch I go outside and practice ashtanga primary (mostly).

i did my practice outside today. I live in Tampa, FL. It was about 88 when I started.. I think I started sweating right away. The breeze was nice and it keeps the mosquitoes down. I practice in the shade. the humidity in the air is fantastic for the breath. My breath did not change one time. Everything was even and steady. Standing poses are getting so much easier. I've been so consistant that the sequence is starting to flow with ease. For anyone who is thinking about doing ashtanga, I want to say that it has worked wonders for me. I can feel myself getting stronger. I've been eating more protein too...

So, as much as I enjoyed it today. You know how life is.. well...
I really enjoy practicing outside, however, today I got attacked by fire ants.
I was bitten so many times. The bite of a fire ant burns. It was like these tiny little burns. I must of put my yoga mat right down on top of a mound. (they are everywhere) I decided to try to ignore the ants, but by the end of the practice it was me against them...

Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-07-18 3:22 PM (#91786 - in reply to #91780)
Subject: RE: whew.. hot hot hot

Wonderful!
raquel
Posted 2007-07-19 1:58 AM (#91832 - in reply to #91780)

the other week I practiced on the beach, I was wearing tight white leggings, thought I was protected, I didnt know mossies could bight through fabric ! I was practicing primary, they literally had a pub crawl on my butt and legs I was covered and really sore.

Love practicing in the fresh sea air though it is the best !
TampaEric
Posted 2007-07-19 8:25 AM (#91844 - in reply to #91832)

Yes, the sea air is really nice. Have you heard about Ions and sea air?

I don't know much about it, but there is supposed to be a calming effect from ions...

Although I stubbed my toes this morning pretty bad, I'll probably go back out today. Not sore at all, (which is nice). That is one thing I think the heat and humidity really helps with. When I get really warm, I don't feel sore the next day.
jonnie
Posted 2007-07-19 8:36 AM (#91845 - in reply to #91780)

As I was reading down this thread, I thought that I would post about the benefits of practising by the sea because of the ions in the air... and Eric beat me to it

Last year, a Romanian friend of mine practiced down the salt mines in Romania, which she said was fantastic. The beach is probably more convenient though

I use those rock salt lamps in the house for a similar effect.

Jonathon
Cyndi
Posted 2007-07-19 8:52 AM (#91848 - in reply to #91845)

Expert Yogi

In the mountains we have a similar effect....minus the salt. We just have good clean country air, it's very niiiice,

Did you know that when it rains, the ions are released into the air as well? It has that cleansing effect on the environment. Same thing happens when you burn beeswax candles in your environment too...it neutralizes and cleans the air of inpurities. Which is why so many people with allergies benefit from my beeswax candles,
jonnie
Posted 2007-07-19 9:01 AM (#91851 - in reply to #91780)

Hi Cyndi,

I like the website.

Jonathon
TampaEric
Posted 2007-07-19 9:04 AM (#91852 - in reply to #91848)

Didn't know that about bees wax or rain.

That must be one reason why I enjoy those morning after a hard rain...
bstqltmkr
Posted 2007-07-19 9:24 AM (#91856 - in reply to #91780)

Lightning storms especially affect the air. Not only are they thrilling and beautiful, but they also charge the air. I love them.

It's our goal for a family vacation at the end of the summer to make it back to the ocean. We took our girls a few years ago, and we all loved it. I'm so happy to think we're going back again. I love swimming until you feel the pull of the tide hours after you leave the water. It's a wierd feeling, but I love it.
raquel
Posted 2007-07-19 9:53 AM (#91860 - in reply to #91780)

Must be great on top of a mountain

We went camping on the beach last year and my friend and I did our practice whilst the sun rose. When we finished we did our savasana in the sea, which was as still as a mill pond it was the best ! awe inspiring x Im gonna do it again in a couple of weeks cant wait
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-07-19 10:45 AM (#91872 - in reply to #91780)

I am going to the beach soon and experience Ionic Yoga!
TampaEric
Posted 2007-07-19 3:40 PM (#91928 - in reply to #91872)

Practice was fierce and hot again today. I did intermediate up to Camel. days like this make me fall in love with the practice all over again.

I also found a public bathroom out there, so that's good. Sometimes I drink too much water before I practice...

No fire ants today, too.

What can I say? I wish you guys could join me...
Orbilia
Posted 2007-07-20 5:17 AM (#91975 - in reply to #91928)

We're having thunder storms as well.... without the heat..... without the sun......but the good news is that there's plenty of rain and the river next to my office has saturated the banks and the pavements are running streams.

In short, the first typically British summer we've had in years.

Mea culpa!

I bought an air-con unit for the bedroom last July.

Fee

Edited by Orbilia 2007-07-20 5:18 AM
Nick
Posted 2007-07-20 2:29 PM (#92038 - in reply to #91975)

Hi Fi,
I was teaching a class today which I had to stop halway through because the club was flooding! The yoga studio was still dry, but when we came out there was 6" of water on the floor. The street outside was impassable. And this was just wimbledon-hate to think what's happening elsewhere.

Nick
fechter03
Posted 2007-07-21 11:48 PM (#92147 - in reply to #91780)

Extreme Veteran

ah yes..tampa and the heat...been there done that...and the daily thunderstorms..and the heat...don't miss it at all. tampa is really nice otherwise though..
Orbilia
Posted 2007-07-23 5:20 AM (#92292 - in reply to #92038)

I'm hoping not to be flooded but the Thames and Kennet are predicted to get a peak surge in Reading late Tuesday / early Wednesday

Fee

Nick - 2007-07-21 7:29 PM

Hi Fi,
I was teaching a class today which I had to stop halway through because the club was flooding! The yoga studio was still dry, but when we came out there was 6" of water on the floor. The street outside was impassable. And this was just wimbledon-hate to think what's happening elsewhere.

Nick

Edited by Orbilia 2007-07-23 5:20 AM
jonnie
Posted 2007-07-24 12:49 AM (#92398 - in reply to #91780)

Hi fee,

I hope you are ok.

I was watching the BBC news this morning (from my home in the desert ). It's amazing, as half of Europe is experiencing the worst flooding since records began and the other half is experiencing severe drought and forest fires.

Of course there is no such thing as global warming...

Jonathon
raquel
Posted 2007-07-24 2:20 PM (#92427 - in reply to #91780)

Hy jonnie,
we were only saying that the other day - half the world is flooding - the other burning very strange, I was on the phone to my mum the other day and she said every river in sheffield has burst its banks, as she was telling me the tale, I could see the smoke from the forest fires in the mountains --

Theres just no balance on the planet anymore
jonnie
Posted 2007-07-25 12:03 AM (#92483 - in reply to #91780)

Hopefully Al Gore will save us

Jonathon
Orbilia
Posted 2007-07-25 5:11 AM (#92495 - in reply to #92398)

Thanks Johnnie - see also my Ark Wanted thread in OT.

Fee
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-07-26 12:33 PM (#92687 - in reply to #91780)

Hey Eric,

I finally followed your example and took my practice outside today as well. It's 87 degrees here today, mostly sunny, and nice and humid -- perfect! And this was after an hour's worth of running outside, so I was definitely nice and warmed up already, inside and out .

Though I have to tell you, my mat got REALLY hot after a while. My feet were burning! I suppose I could've found a spot in the shade on my deck, but hey, being the optimizer that I am, I wanted to work on my freckles (a redhead's version of a tan) as well. Also, keeping a grip on my prayer twists was rather challenging; very slippery with all that sweating. Hey, my own version of Bikram, PLUS the factor of the burning feet on the mat! Might be the beginning of a brand new trend...

Actually, we also practiced outside yesterday, as part of a retreat for a karma project from my studio. All the mats were on the grass. At first, I didn't think that was going to work very well, but I was pleasantly surprised. It wasn't a long nor involved practice, just 21 sun salutations, after which we did some Thai massage on each other. The morning had begun with a fire ceremony and chanting, followed by a silent meditation, all outside as well. Of course we were all in the shade...

TampaEric
Posted 2007-07-27 10:52 AM (#92763 - in reply to #92687)

Hey Orangemat!

Very cool. Or should I say very hot.

I hope I didn't mis-speak before. I practice in the shade. I have heard of people doing the sun salutes in the sun and then bring their mats to the shade for the rest of the practice.

Anyway thanks for sharing. Sounds really nice...
iandicker
Posted 2007-07-30 1:05 PM (#93001 - in reply to #92763)

Just spent the last 5 days camping in southern England and I had hoped to be able to do my practice in the open air first thing in the morning. Sadly there was only one morning without rain. Nice morning, sun salutations facing the rising sun, horses watching me over the fence of neighbouring field, but COLD! Didn't manage to work up any heat at all!

Anyone have any suggestions of how to do ashtanga in a small tent that you can lay down in but can't stand up?
jonnie
Posted 2007-07-30 1:20 PM (#93003 - in reply to #93001)

ian****er - 2007-07-31 9:05 PM

Anyone have any suggestions of how to do ashtanga in a small tent that you can lay down in but can't stand up?

That's an easy one Ian.

Practise a Savasana intensive

Jonathon
iandicker
Posted 2007-07-31 5:36 AM (#93028 - in reply to #93003)

Jonnie,

I like the sound of that! Intensive savasana would be just the ticket, then gently float away on the floods...............

Ian
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)