YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

strained abs
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

lovelylotus
Posted 2007-07-19 8:04 AM (#91840)
Subject: strained abs

I recently started working with a private client that strained his ab muscles during pilates over a month ago, he has been to a few doctors and they all say its not a hernia, no broken bones, but probally more then likely a really bad strained or pull to the ab muscles, so we worked on a few asanas this week, mostly working on the hamstrings and staying away from the abs. can u suggest a a few asanas that can help not strain but rebuild his core..or is that something that he should not work on until his abs are fully recovered??
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jonnie
Posted 2007-07-19 8:58 AM (#91850 - in reply to #91840)
Subject: RE: strained abs

Personally, I would wait for him to recover first.

At this stage, rest is the most beneficial thing your client can do.

Poses which work the hamstrings (forward bends etc) will stress the abdominal region while either entering, maintaining or exiting the asana so I'd avoid those as well.

Maybe teach him simple pranayama exercises (if appropriate to his level of practise) or focus on meditation.

Jonathon

Posted 2007-07-19 12:23 PM (#91888 - in reply to #91840)

i agree with rest.

forward bends use a lot of ab strength, back bends stretch the abdominals, and twists twist them. so, it's beneficial to simply let it be for a bit.
TampaEric
Posted 2007-07-19 1:09 PM (#91899 - in reply to #91888)

hmmm, I was leaning towards gentle backbends. That way as it heals he/she will retain the length of the muscle.

Any thoughts?

Posted 2007-07-19 1:44 PM (#91904 - in reply to #91840)

I would absolutely not lengthen the region from the pubis to the diaphragm. This will pull on origin and insertion points for abdominal muscles (RA) and interfere with healing the strain in that very area.

Additionally I would not work the core muscles (gad I detest that word) but rather look to release them as they are undoubtedly in pseudo spasm all over the poor chaps body.

The student may work micromovements along the line of Feldenkrais work. It's a therapeutics isssue though and as such it is not remedied with standard asana sequences. Some may be fine.

Edited by purnayoga 2007-07-19 1:46 PM
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-07-19 1:51 PM (#91905 - in reply to #91840)

It's hard to know what to recommend without knowing the severity of the injury. An article I found on abdominal strains lists three levels of grading of such an injury:

Grade I (Mild): Mild discomfort, often no disability. Usually does not limit activity.

Grade II (Moderate): Moderate discomfort, can limit ability to perform activities such as crunches or twisting movements.

Grade III (Severe): Severe injury that can cause pain with normal activities. Often patients complain of muscle spasm and bruising.

The treatment recommended by the article is what most everyone here has been suggesting, namely rest. Gentle stretching could be helpful as long as it doesn't cause pain and isn't excessive (will slow the healing process). Here's the article if you'd like to read it in its entirety.

What exactly did your client do in Pilates to get injured like this? So sorry to hear about it!

yogabrian
Posted 2007-07-19 1:56 PM (#91907 - in reply to #91840)

I concur with rest also. Which ab in specific is strained? For a safe abs when he is healed, pick up Paul Chek's book How to eat move and be heathly. There is a great set of ab exercise that will re-educate and rebuild the abdominal region.
TampaEric
Posted 2007-07-19 2:36 PM (#91919 - in reply to #91905)

yea, I had a mild to moderate one recently.

It bothered me in Parsvottanasana, marchi C/D. I felt it happen right away.

Backbending really helped me. I would never practice a posture with pain. I have a saying I use in class, I think I got it from Lilas Folan. "Sweet discomfort." Not pain.

Plus, my wife had a tummy tuck, hernia, and gastric bypass and had to rebuild her entire "core."
She rested for weeks and then the thing that helped her most was gentle backbends...

**** that pilates! Ruining our yoga students.. just kidding..
tourist
Posted 2007-07-19 7:42 PM (#91943 - in reply to #91919)

Expert Yogi

I am curious to know how the person was practicing - with a teacher? Was the teacher well qualified? Or was it a dvd?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)