YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

When we expect rewards...
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga as Self-RealizationMessage format

SiriusSpirit
Posted 2007-07-19 9:22 PM (#91950)
Subject: When we expect rewards...

I feel so let down because of a recent occurrence with an employee. I had hired a young woman who I almost immediately disliked because of her arrogance and aggressiveness. I soon began to suspect some serious dishonesty and "cheating" type of behavior as well (I specifically suspected dishonesty regarding expense reimbursements).
So I did lots of soul-searching and thinking, and spent lots of effort looking beyond the things I disliked. I was honest with her about a number of issues (we even discussed how to "work on" the aggressiveness) and worked hard to encourage her to improve and to take advantage of what I viewed as a huge employment and learning opportunity. I truly felt tested in dealing with her every day, and felt that I KNEW I had to get past my dislike of the young woman...that I could not treat her a certain way because I disliked her, that I needed to look past what was on the surface...all the while staying aware of what I was dealing with.
How funny: I realize in hindsight that I was expecting a reward for this. I was expecting her to "come around," to appreciate all I was doing by looking "past" all of her grating behaviors.
Well, of course, she simply turned on me. She "screwed" us (the agency) royally, began having a tantrum and screaming when I finally asked her to leave, and continues to try to cause problems...even as a (now) ex-employee.
I am so confused about this and have jokingly said, "No good deed goes unpunished."
I am surprised, though, at how this situation has affected me, shocked me, really shaken me.
I'm trying to learn something from this. Of course, one thing is to TRUST THE GUT FEELING (but how does one distinguish true gut truths from maya?) -- or to expect nothing. I don't know. Just felt this would be a good place to put this one out there.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2007-07-19 11:40 PM (#91957 - in reply to #91950)
Subject: RE: When we expect rewards...

If you are doing things for rewards, you will probably always be disappointed. If you are doing what you think is right because you think that it is the right thing to do, you will probably be happy with the result. I believe that one of the tenets of Karma Yoga as well as Buddhism is to do good things without attachment to the result. Also, what we consider "good things" may seem "good", but may have all kinds of unintended "bad" consequences. Since we don't know, we can only be as aware as possible of ourselves and our desires and do what seems best at the time and then let it go. The awareness is important because if we have a hidden agenda (reality that does not fit our self image and is therefore repressed) we are being manipulated by our repressed desires.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-07-19 11:49 PM (#91958 - in reply to #91950)

Dear Sirus: In this case, I mean from the answers you get to your question, and then following one or the other way, whatever you get from others or from your own self study,

What shall be your real expectation in terms of outcome of what you follow?
GreenJello
Posted 2007-07-20 9:11 AM (#91987 - in reply to #91950)

Unfortunately this is about par for the course. I think Jesus said something about "not throwing your pearls (of wisdom) before swine. Because they will trample them, and turn on you."

Most people are the way they are for a reason. It's working for them on some level, and they're not going to change until it's not. So, expecting somebody to "come around" is seldom a rewarding activity. Most people don't expect that sort of thing from their SO, let alone somebody in a business setting.

It's good that you tried to give this person a chance, but I don't think that I would have given them much more of a chance than anybody else who comes through the door.
tourist
Posted 2007-07-20 10:13 AM (#91998 - in reply to #91987)

Expert Yogi

My boss has had many experiences like yours. For a long time she would get burned by staff and clients - now she more often listens to her gut and just doesn't get mixed up in those sorts of situations. In other cases, she still does, but when things go bad she is pretty good about chalking it all up to experience and leaving it in the past. Live and learn, then let it go. Easier said than done, of course
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-07-20 4:45 PM (#92056 - in reply to #91950)

SiriusSpirit - 2007-07-19 9:22 PM Of course, one thing is to TRUST THE GUT FEELING (but how does one distinguish true gut truths from maya?) -- or to expect nothing.

Wow, a lot to think about, in only one line. First of all, I'm sorry you had such an unpleasant situation happen to you. And good that you're airing your feelings here.

OK, second part of your statement first: expecting nothing seems to be setting yourself up to live with lower standards for yourself, doesn't it? So that's not the answer, obviously. To have no expectations is a little different than to expect nothing, I think.

When you have no expectations, that's exactly it: performing your actions is your one and only objective. You have no interest in reaping the fruits of your actions.

When you expect nothing, there is still a sense of expectation out there, which is tinged with a sense of lowering one's standards (as facetious as it sounds, it's really the best way I've found to look at this). It's like expecting empty fruits, I guess.

So maybe you meant having no expectations, but please don't phrase it as "expecting nothing". The negative spin on the concept sets up exactly that: a negative spin.

And now the first part of your quote, the part I really wanted to address: "how does one distinguish true gut truths from maya?" Sometimes, I have absolutely no clue. Sometimes I make that split-second "proper" decision but am immediately beset with second-guessing and self-doubt. Then later on I'm doubly vexed: the situation has produced both pain (the unpleasant situation with your now ex-employee) and suffering ("I knew I should've listened to my gut about not liking her!").

I have no concrete suggestions as to how to consistently know when truth is true. It's been a longtime struggle for me as well. Used to be if I'd tell myself that by going through a difficult situation and the pain I endured from it was worthwhile as a teaching tool, people would tell me that I was rationalizing, kidding myself. Now, in studying yoga, I'm learning that those naysayers who told me I was rationalizing are the ones that are misinformed, and that my painful experiences were in fact worthwhile in my growth (tapas, yes?). It's hard to trust the minority of oneself.

"No good deed goes unpunished." Indeed. Those naysayers would have a field day with this one. But again they're wrong. You did do a good deed. Just because it wasn't received as such doesn't invalidate your good deed. That's truth, NOT maya.

Hang in there, learn the lesson, and move on. As my quote says, you need not partake the option of suffering.

Edited by OrangeMat 2007-07-20 4:47 PM
SiriusSpirit
Posted 2007-07-21 8:05 PM (#92137 - in reply to #91950)

I can't tell you how your (all of your) wise words truly helped lift what felt was a heavy sheet over me. Thank you so much. I knew this was the place to put this out there. Namaste.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-07-22 12:07 AM (#92152 - in reply to #92137)

Hey Sirus: Please answer my question if possible.

SiriusSpirit - 2007-07-21 8:05 PM

I can't tell you how your (all of your) wise words truly helped lift what felt was a heavy sheet over me. Thank you so much. I knew this was the place to put this out there. Namaste.
joscmt
Posted 2007-07-24 6:07 PM (#92461 - in reply to #91950)

I used to have big expectations of my staff... I employ about 25 people.. several are teenagers. I always try to give the teens something they can take with them to another job... work ethic advice, customer service skills, etc. And in the past, I was attached to the outcome. And I, too, would feel "burned" by them when they quit without notice... and, ultimately, many of them landed themselves in jail. My first thought was always, screw it, that's the last time.. I don't care anymore. But that wasn't true.. I do care about these kids... then I got great advice..

But someone told me once that all I can do is to keep my side of the street clean.... which means, that I should do what I believe is right and let go of the outcome. If I do what I believe to be right, then I have done all I could do. I've done my part.. the rest is up to the other person.

I worked really hard to help an employee get clean off of crack... and he was doing well.. until he relapsed and did some awful things in the restaurant that ultimately lead to his dismissal. Within one days, he was dead of an overdose. He had been employed with us for almost 3 years. We gave him chance after chance... we did the best we could.. and while we were saddened by his death- we had to let go of the outcome. We didn't cause his death. He bought the drugs, put the pipe into his mouth, and lit up.

I had another kid who showed great promise.. he worked hard for awhile and then gave up. He was on his way and then decided that his job was too lowly- he was 16 and a busser. He stopped doing what was asked of him.. and after being written up several times he was dismissed. I taught him everything I could about being a strong employee... and that hard work was the way to move up from bussing tables. He got his next job at a Target.. where he then tried to steal and iPod... ultimately landing himself in jail (for the second time- he had been arrested before I employed him)
Again, I did all I could. I taught him all I know..... but I have just had to learn three things:
1. It's not personal.
2. I will never be thanked for teaching these lessons- and that's ok, because it's not my motive. I gave up on being thanked when I opened a business....
3. To let go of the outcome and to keep my side of the street clean.

Good luck- it's a tough lesson to learn!
Jambo
Posted 2007-07-24 7:01 PM (#92466 - in reply to #91950)

I agree with Green Jello. They are not going to change so cut the **** off as soon as you can. We all want to be like Buddha but unfortunitely we are not and may start taking that stess out in all sorts of harmful ways. Of course, on the other hand, if you are Buddha.....
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)