YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

prenatal question..
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

joscmt
Posted 2007-07-21 10:41 PM (#92142)
Subject: prenatal question..

I'm going to ask my teacher tomorrow since she is the prenatal instructor--- but in case I don't make it to class...
I'm at the point where I'm advised to no longer lay flat on my back. And, from what I understand flat is flat... so savasana is out unless I lay on my side. Which I don't find very relaxing or comfortable. It's just not the same. But what about baddha konasana where you lay a blanket/bolster along your spine?? Is that ok? Because, in that situation, I wouldn't be flat on my back. Laying with shoulders or hips propped is apparently safe and ok. At least from what I have read.
help?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jonnie
Posted 2007-07-22 1:43 AM (#92156 - in reply to #92142)
Subject: RE: prenatal question..

Yes, this is supported supta baddha konasana.

It is fine for the baby and great for preparing your hips for child birth.

You definately shouldn't be sleeping flat on your back now though...

Jonathon

Posted 2007-07-22 2:06 AM (#92159 - in reply to #92142)

What trimester please?
joscmt
Posted 2007-07-22 9:12 AM (#92204 - in reply to #92142)

gordon- second.. I'm 16weeks tomorrow. According to pregnancy guides, 16 weeks is the cut off for laying flat..
joscmt
Posted 2007-07-22 9:14 AM (#92206 - in reply to #92142)

jonnie- it's funny because I've always been a side sleeper- until I got pregnant. Whenever I wake up in the middle of the night, I'm on my back . I read that tucking a pillow behind your back is helpful- that way if you roll onto your back, the pillow keeps you from being flat.
jonnie
Posted 2007-07-22 9:20 AM (#92210 - in reply to #92142)

This is what my wife did. She also had a pillow between her knees which helped as well.

Happy 16 weeks

Jonathon
tourist
Posted 2007-07-22 10:15 AM (#92223 - in reply to #92210)

Expert Yogi

I find the whole "no lying on your back at x weeks" a bit alarmist, myself. I am sure there are ideal positions and less ideal positions, but not allowing a pregnant woman at any stage to make herself comfortable seems cruel. It is hard enough to live with another person in you without restricting movement so much! I did have a friend who could actually feel the constriction in her blood flow when she lay on her back (she would feel faint), but she was 4' 7" and had 8 lb babies. Anyway, assuming that you want to follow the advice to the best of your ability, you need lots of pillows, rolled blankets or bolsters to get really cozy in a side lying savasana. Wedge some behind your back (roll a little forward and have someone wedge it in), have some between your knees/ankles, have one in front to hug and have enough height under your head to be comfortable. Or do a supported supta baddhakonasana as you mentioned. Be sure to support your thighs so you don't hang in your hip ligaments, since they are more prone to over-stretching now.

Posted 2007-07-22 8:54 PM (#92260 - in reply to #92142)

my client is trying to naturally induce her labor now, as we write, and she was doing all kinds of reclining postures when we were in class on thursday.

she does savasana for about 1 minute, before moving to her side.

she's only done this in the third trimester. so, i would think that it's really up to you. whatever works. if it doesn't work, then don't do it. if it does work, then do it.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-07-22 11:46 PM (#92265 - in reply to #92142)

If you are advised not to lie on the back, do not do it. And, shavasana is not a religion that you have to do it with flat on the back. Just take rest in a position restful to you, and not harmful to you as advised by your gynacologist. Anyway, that is my suggestion. What do I know? I had successfully induced my wife in the birth of the second child using castor oil and climbing mountain combo. And, only she and me know this. Delivery was wonderful with the baby completely safe.

Peace
Neel

joscmt - 2007-07-21 10:41 PM

I'm going to ask my teacher tomorrow since she is the prenatal instructor--- but in case I don't make it to class...
I'm at the point where I'm advised to no longer lay flat on my back. And, from what I understand flat is flat... so savasana is out unless I lay on my side. Which I don't find very relaxing or comfortable. It's just not the same. But what about baddha konasana where you lay a blanket/bolster along your spine?? Is that ok? Because, in that situation, I wouldn't be flat on my back. Laying with shoulders or hips propped is apparently safe and ok. At least from what I have read.
help?
joscmt
Posted 2007-07-23 9:38 AM (#92324 - in reply to #92142)

I ended up doing a supported supta baddha konasana.. and then my teacher showed my a supported left side savasana. I will lay on my back for a couple of minutes, but most of my classes have close to a 10 minute savasana and that's a bit long for me to lay flat. And always being on my side-- in bed, when I'm reading, etc... so the supported baddha konasana was great!! I think I'm going to stick with this one.
tourist
Posted 2007-07-23 10:04 AM (#92330 - in reply to #92324)

Expert Yogi

Thinking into the future for you Marylisa, I had one student who had back pain at 8 months or so (her favourite pose was a very supported warrior III, of all things! You just have to keep trying to see what works...) and even a one bolster supta baddha was not working. We ended up making a bit of what I thought of as a life raft for her. We bound three bolsters together to lie vertically, the usual supta baddha way, then put bolsters and/or blocks under them until the whole thing was at about 30 degrees angle from the floor. This was enough support so she could breathe and feel support on her whole back and shoulders. We also used this along with a chair for her feet to do a really restful navasana/boat pose, which helped relieve her swelling ankles. It was a really fun challenge to find things that worked for her, but she is a coworker, so I was motivated to keep her working until we got a replacement
juicyg
Posted 2007-08-01 7:02 PM (#93209 - in reply to #92142)

"Once you hit about 20 weeks, lying on your back can cause your uterus to press on the inferior vena cava (a major vein that returns blood from your lower body to your heart), resulting in dizziness, low blood pressure, and a possible reduction in blood flow to your uterus." -- borrowed from BabyCenter forums.

In my humble and non-expert opinion, you will know when it's no longer ok to lie on your back because your body will tell you. I think 16 weeks is a little early, but that's just my personal experience. I think I was around 22-24 weeks when I couldn't lie flat on my back any longer with both pregnancies. The sensation that told me not to do that anymore was indescribable -- not really pain but strange pressure. You'll know it when you feel it. Also, you would have to be lying on your back for longer than you'd be comfortable to cause harm.

Often times in our prenatal class, we would lie bolstered on blankets w/ our feet up the wall or in goddess (up the wall). I found this position to be quite comfy during both pregnancies.

We did lots and lots and lots (and lots) of baddha konasana as well.

Cheers,
Julie
tourist
Posted 2007-08-01 7:06 PM (#93211 - in reply to #93209)

Expert Yogi

I agree JG - women know these things and are generally smart enough to follow the advice when it is time.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)