YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Taught my first classes :-#
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

tmarques
Posted 2007-07-21 11:46 PM (#92146)
Subject: Taught my first classes :-#

Hey, everyone. I just need to vent a little, so please bear with me.

After months of prodding from teachers and friends, I took a 200-hour teacher training program.

No, I do not believe such programs can automatically turn one into a good or even adequate teacher. As a matter of fact, I wasn't even sure teaching was something I wanted or could do. Still, I thought the course itself might help me see things more clearly, so I went for it.

I still have no idea whether this is in my future or not, but I learned a lot and made wonderful friends, so it was worth it either way. Besides, I'm already working two jobs - both family-owned, meaning I couldn't quit in the near future even though God knows I'd love to - so I wasn't giving the issue much thought.

Early this week, a teacher called me. She had a sudden family emergency out of town and begged me to fill in for her since she couldn't find anyone else. I was scared to death but I owe her a lot so I agreed - 3 back-to-back classes, 8-10 students each. She only warned me about one female student who didn't seem to be comfortable about male teachers adjusting her physically. Ok.

Again, I'm working two jobs, so I had to sketch a class in 30 minutes. Now, I'm sure most teachers can prepare a dozen classes in 30 minutes, but I was feeling extremely insecure about the whole thing.

First class went well - better than I expected, considering the butterflies in my stomach. Second class was better, since I was feeling more relaxed. Some students even sticked around afterwards to chat about the practice, which I felt meant they must have liked something about it. So I start the 3rd one feeling reasonably confident. Except for this lady who walks in and whines to her girlfriend the entire class about everything being too difficult or just plain impossible. Seriously, I've never seen anything like it in the hundreds of classes I've attented as a student. I tried to encourage her, telling her that trying was more important than actually achieving. I gave her more viable alternatives whenever possible. I even made several changes to the class I had prepared because of her - which proved to be a mistake, since I don't have nearly enough experience to create sequences on the fly. Nothing seemed to work - what do you do with a student who refuses to try paschimottanasana even after you tell her that as far as she can go is good enough? She was a slightly overweight, middle-aged woman - the kind you'd expect to have some limitations, but no medical conditions - I asked - that could prevent her from trying basic postures. It wasn't a complete disaster, but it was extremely frustrating.

When I thought it was over, she starts chatting with her friend during meditation. I had to remember my ahimsa not to throw a block at her head.

It would have been easier if I could just think of the woman as an idiot, but on the way out, she approaches me, thanks me for the class and apologizes for being so "incompetent". I was caught off guard and apologized back, saying that it's always the teacher's fault if a practice doesn't go well. Which is something I honestly believe, but thinking back, I don't see how else I could have handled the situation *during* that class. I came to the conclusion that I could have had a longer talk with her after class about her attitude towards yoga *if* she were my regular student.

More than anything, I'm embarrassed I was annoyed and wished she wasn't there, though - which is probably why I don't feel like discussing the matter with friends. The good news is my friend called a couple of days later, saying a few of the students asked when I'd be back and that I'm at the top of the list for when she needs a sub again. I suspect she was just being kind, but it was still nice to hear that.

Bottom line is I'm having mixed feelings about the experience. As always. But strangely enough, the more I think about it, the more I wish I could go back there and try again.

Well, that was a lot longer than I planned - sorry about that
Top of the page Bottom of the page
yogabrian
Posted 2007-07-22 1:30 AM (#92155 - in reply to #92146)
Subject: RE: Taught my first classes :-#

Welcome to the wonderful world of teaching yoga. You are going to run into this alot when you first start teaching. The talking during mediation is not cool and I personally would have told them in polite words to shut up(well, maybe not politely).

You are a new teacher and people are going to push your buttons. Don't ever take anything personally. Usually it will be some stupid issue that the student has and will have nothing to with you. Take a hot bath, drink a great glass of red wine and forget about it. The person really is not worth your time.

Remember try to make most happy, but know that there is always someone who is not going to like your class.

Take is a valuable learning experience and move on. It won't be the last time it happens.

Posted 2007-07-22 2:51 AM (#92165 - in reply to #92146)

thyago,

From reading your post there are several things that come to my mind in response. And of course I realize, as you state, that you were venting. Which is perfectly fine and part of the reason we are here (to support you).

The first is your own level of self-care which perhaps inhibited you from declining the offer to teach. Why? Because circumstantially it was not appropriate for you relative to your comfort level and experience. Being asked to sub a class next week is one thing. Being asked to sub a class in 30 minutes is another while being asked to sub three classes back-to-back in 30 minutes is lacking integrity on the part of the asker. This is my opinion. I would never ask such a thing of a new teacher and I would hope that if I did this with someone I had a relationship with that what they would feel they owed me first (before a yes) would be their truth not their obligation.

My second thought is that you had a reallly valuable experience that I believe will serve you well for the rest of your teaching life if mashed and used properly for growing as a teacher. Once the initial tsunami of feelings ebbs then it is time for the mashing.

The fact is that no matter who you are or how long you teach you will have "things" crop up in class. Someone yaks. You yak. Someone snores. Someone talks. Someone swears. Someone enters. Someone leaves. Someone smells of body odor. Someone smells of body splash. You'll get it all my friend. So we as yogis are mandated to handle such things and handle them withint the context of yoga. If you kept your cool and were non-reactive then you passed with flying colors. The rest of it can be fixed (as can that too).

This brings me to my third and most pragmatic point which is what to do when this or that happens.
One is that we teach students, not poses. And this may come over time. Yet you will walk in a room and have to teach to a group who knows nothing when you are "planning" an intermediate sequence (which is why I plan themes and not levels). So changing the class to fit the students is fine. Changing it to fit one person at the expense of 9 others is not. It sounds like you modified in the ways you could but I would have just done so for the one students.

Now for the chatting and so forth. These sorts of things can be handled in many ways. Here are two. The first is to speak to the class in a subtle way addressing the issue (that maybe only you noticed). Like "stay in your own body. The practice next to you should not be of concern. Place your breath in the heels and move the awareness there". Some comments that passively address that this is not the time to be visiting. This sends two messages. One is "don't do THAT" while the other is "here's how to deepen your experience".

The second way is to work more with this person. In fact I'd wedge my body right between her and her chatting partner. She may have only wanted attentiuon in the first place which is why most of us talk to begin with. So give it to her. "Do this." "Move this." "Contract there." "Deepen the breath." "Fix the gaze." In this way you are both physically obstructing the communication path and guiding the student, as a teacher should.

Edited by purnayoga 2007-07-22 2:52 AM
jonnie
Posted 2007-07-22 3:34 AM (#92169 - in reply to #92146)

purnayoga - 2007-07-22 10:51 AM

we teach students, not poses.

This is an excellent point that I think we could all do with reminding ourselves of ocassionally.

Thyago, I think many teachers will recognise the experience that you described if they think back to when they first started teaching.

Overall. it sounds like you did a great job.

Jonathon
yoga-addict
Posted 2007-07-22 4:56 AM (#92180 - in reply to #92146)

Veteran

I don't teach yoga but I teach acting and one thing I have learned that I think can apply here- if I don't set the tone of focus and concentration at the begin of class, then it's not there. In the begin of class it's good for new students of yoga to learn what you want from them- there's nothing wrong with saying that you expect no talking during class or during savasana. Maybe you did though- I'm just throwing that out there as an idea. Certainly in bikram they don't hold back on making sure you understand not to talk back or to other people during class. I think you handled it well though- maybe you could have offered her to rest in child's pose if there were poses she didn't think she could do?
Purna- I love your advice- "bring your awareness to your heels and keep it there!"
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-07-22 7:33 AM (#92196 - in reply to #92146)

I'm a new teacher as well, so believe me, I know how it feels.

I had one student in class last week who asked would it be OK to start class lying her back, when my instruction was for everyone to sit in a comfortable position. I took a breath before answering, considered her question and said, "It's your practice, so sure!"

So I adjusted my cues about lengthening the spine and rooting the sit bones, etc. to include how it would feel lying on one's back (she did have her knees bent). She said she was concerned we would be going into seated overhead arm stretches and twists, and didn't like those. I said we would be spending maybe 4-5 minutes sitting (centering and breathing, setting intention, chanting oms), then moving into child's pose to start the asanas. I didn't quite feel comfortable telling her my plan like that, but I saw she needed to know more than I needed to be attached to my teaching plan, so I told her. She did stay on her back, then joined us in child's pose, so I guess all worked out.

I admit, I was taken aback initially, and it took a moment's effort not to react. Yoga for the teacher as well as the students.

Edited by OrangeMat 2007-07-22 7:34 AM
tourist
Posted 2007-07-22 10:51 AM (#92231 - in reply to #92196)
Subject: RE: Taught my first classes :-

Expert Yogi

I agree that you handled the experience very well! Good for you!!

Teaching 3 classes back to back is a real marathon (90 min classes?) So that alone is a big accomplishment. Two is more than enough for me.

Re: "that" student. I have had a few students who challenged me in similar ways, many of whom simply wanted attention. Some who are not so vocal really NEED attention and try to hide away in a corner. They are harder to deal with in the long run. One vocal student I had in the beginning was the type that made me cringe every time she showed up in class. And she came to every class - never missed! She had multiple physical problems and was keen to discuss them in regard to almost every pose. She asked a lot of questions - many which were not remotely pertinent to the subject at hand, though occasionally one of those great "teachable moments" that a teacher loves to get. Where you can say "good question!" with a smile and know that most of the other students are keen to ask but didn't. Anyway, within a single term, this student became calm. dedicated and a real asset to our studio. Did I always handle her correctly? I don't know. But I am glad I kept my cool and did my best to help her ease into yoga because I believe it has changed her life for the better. If you keep teaching, print our purna's advice and stick it on your fridge. Some great stuff in there.

I hope your teacher gives you a HUGE thanks! These emergencies happen and it is sooooo reassuring to hear there is someone available to jump right in. Ready or not, you are a teacher now!

Posted 2007-07-22 5:35 PM (#92252 - in reply to #92196)

Unasked for advise follows....

Ask such a student "why?". I find it is very revealing and it helps with making a decision to have more information.

If the student chose to start class in the supine rather than seated position, that is fine but I would not instruct "to" such a person. That is to say I would not be providing descriptions out loud to her/him as it can be confusing to the rest of the class and forces them to either listen to instruction they can not find in their body or to ignore it completely; neither of which is a desired result for me in class.

To me "I don't like this pose" is not, by itself, enough to bail from the class structure. I start classes with an opening sequence designed to progressively prepare the body for asana. The student who does not participate (or who is late) receives less benefit, is less prepared for asana, and, as a result is more at risk for injury than others, all things being equal.

Now if the student has an injury or issue this is a completely different situation (which is where asking "why" comes in). For those who have an unstable SI, HBP/LBP, auto-immune issues, pregnancy or the like then I modify for them. They do not chose their own modification (unlesss I know them to be an accomplished yoga teacher). If those things do not suit the student then they have selected the wrong teacher and I have selected the wrong student.

OrangeMat - 2007-07-22 4:33 AM

I'm a new teacher as well, so believe me, I know how it feels.

I had one student in class last week who asked would it be OK to start class lying her back, when my instruction was for everyone to sit in a comfortable position. I took a breath before answering, considered her question and said, "It's your practice, so sure!"

So I adjusted my cues about lengthening the spine and rooting the sit bones, etc. to include how it would feel lying on one's back (she did have her knees bent). She said she was concerned we would be going into seated overhead arm stretches and twists, and didn't like those. I said we would be spending maybe 4-5 minutes sitting (centering and breathing, setting intention, chanting oms), then moving into child's pose to start the asanas. I didn't quite feel comfortable telling her my plan like that, but I saw she needed to know more than I needed to be attached to my teaching plan, so I told her. She did stay on her back, then joined us in child's pose, so I guess all worked out.

I admit, I was taken aback initially, and it took a moment's effort not to react. Yoga for the teacher as well as the students.

Edited by purnayoga 2007-07-22 5:44 PM
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-07-23 8:24 AM (#92315 - in reply to #92252)

purnayoga - 2007-07-22 5:35 PM Unasked for advise follows....

Yeah, well I wouldn't have told this story if I wasn't open for feedback on it.

Ask such a student "why?".

I try to always ask before the start of class whether anyone has any issues or injuries. This woman didn't claim to have any, and just straight out said she didn't want to sit up lest I do any seated sidebending or twisting. Even once I told her that we wouldn't be doing any, she still refused to sit up. I wasn't going to argue with her or be insistent, especially since this was the first time I was teaching this timeslot, taking over for a well-established teacher there. So I decided at that moment that it was better from all perspectives to compromise my teaching principles slightly than make a student feel uncomfortable and put on the spot (attacked, even, as it might seem from her point of view), in my very first time teaching that particular class.

The student who does not participate (or who is late) receives less benefit, is less prepared for asana, and, as a result is more at risk for injury than others, all things being equal.

How much can you admonish an adult that they'll be missing out if they don't do what you ask of them? Certainly I made that clear to this student. After a point, you just let it go.

As for latecomers, that happens all the time (I teach at a gym, 'nuff said, and a high-end one at that). Ten, fifteen minutes late even, for a 55 minute class. What am I going to do, refuse to let them in? I smile to welcome them as they arrive and encourage them to warm up on their own, reminding them of when class does start. It's annoying, their behavior and disrespect, but that's all I can do.

The main reason I posted this story was to relate that as a new teacher, you come up on all sorts of personalities and situations that challenge your own peace, as well as your professional and well thought out plan for conducting your class. I know that with time and more experience, these issues will cease to be "issues", but right now, they are my yoga. These students are my gurus, as my teacher would say. Even just preparing my classes each week is starting to drag me down (coming up with a class theme and appropriate sequence of poses), and I'm starting to yearn for when all this will become a seemingly effortless process. I'm teaching barely two months. I swear, I'm laughing at myself already here.

davidv2.2
Posted 2007-07-23 12:37 PM (#92349 - in reply to #92315)
Subject: RE: Taught my first classes :-

I'm continuously in awe of how effortless Great teaching appears, even when a distraction crops up. Last week, there was a ruckus in the lobby of the studio during opening meditation. It got loud, and the frustrated person yelled something to the effect of our studio being responsible for "destroying the Earth"! That was unsettling, and most started to chuckle.

Anyway, instead of laughing or pushing that aside, our Teacher handled it nicely and suggested that if one doesn't have an attention, to perhaps offer it to the frustrated person outside. So we went back to meditation and had a fine class. We found out what happened later in class. It turns out the person saw the sick tree outside the studio (which belongs to the city), and thought the studio did something to cause it to be ill. He was actually a very nice man, and was just worried for the tree! Everything was resolved, and it was actually an unexpectedly touching experience.

So, why did I mention this? Just to praise the thoughtful ways unexpected events this are handled by you wonderful teachers. Things like this could be handled in many ways, and it may not seem like much to offer compassion at that time, but I imagine it's not easy to manage at the start of a full class.

Posted 2007-07-23 1:19 PM (#92359 - in reply to #92146)

OM,

I agree with you (mostly :-) ).
I've been in those situations you mention - the gym where class is 55 minutes and students come in and do what they'd like. This situation with the woman, I had one too with an older gal who felt like I wasn't letting her do the stuff the younger people were doing. Then when I didn't attend to her she felt neglected. So ultimately I wasn't giving her the exact proportions of attention and freedom.

The rule you are applying is the same one I follow and that is: "If you can make change, do so. If you cannot, find the joy."

As far as how much one can admonish an adult you are talking about a chronological adult. For now I treat people in the fashion in which they act. If a student acts like they are five then to me it is warranted that they be treated as they behave (until they chose to behave otherwise). I may change this perspective over time but for now it works for me.

There is no question that smiling and saying "okay, no problem" is often a very good response. We do, however, have lots of young teachers (and students) on the board and so the concept that they can have boundaries as teachers and thus have boundaries as human beings is an important concept to flesh out.
tmarques
Posted 2007-07-24 5:50 PM (#92457 - in reply to #92146)

Now that a few more days have passed, the good honestly seems to outweight the bad. Maybe it was the exceptionally bad day I had at work Monday that is making those classes seem better in comparison, though.

Either way, thanks for the advice and support. I don't post much but I'm always browsing the forums - you wouldn't believe how much it's helped in the past.

Edited by tmarques 2007-07-24 5:52 PM

Posted 2007-07-26 12:57 PM (#92689 - in reply to #92457)

purnayoga quote-
"There is no question that smiling and saying "okay, no problem" is often a very good response. We do, however, have lots of young teachers (and students) on the board and so the concept that they can have boundaries as teachers and thus have boundaries as human beings is an important concept to flesh out."

Purna,
I like your concept of openess and flexibility within boundaries.
TampaEric
Posted 2007-07-30 4:03 PM (#93014 - in reply to #92146)

Good job!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)