YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Yoga Sutras Translations
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

ShaktiGrrl
Posted 2007-07-22 1:50 PM (#92241)
Subject: Yoga Sutras Translations

I want to buy this book, but I see that there are approx. 1000000345 translations. Is there an edition that is considered standard?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Kaos
Posted 2007-07-22 2:59 PM (#92246 - in reply to #92241)
Subject: RE: Yoga Sutras Translations

ShaktiGrrl - 2007-07-22 1:50 PM

I want to buy this book, but I see that there are approx. 1000000345 translations. Is there an edition that is considered standard?

Namaste ShaktiGrrl,

Perhaps, you can come out with your own interpretation of the book.
Yet, Truth, does not change.

kulkarnn
Posted 2007-07-22 11:49 PM (#92266 - in reply to #92241)

Translation is different from interpretation. And, interpretation is different from commentary. If you are looking for translation, you should look for the one from the one who knows Sanskrit Language. And, if you are looking for the commentary (or sometimes, wrongly called interpretation), you should look one from the one who knows Sanskrit and also Yoga Philosophy well. Best Luck.

ShaktiGrrl - 2007-07-22 1:50 PM

ShaktiGrrl
Posted 2007-07-25 11:19 AM (#92530 - in reply to #92241)

Wow. Thanks for the English language lesson. So you are saying that I should look for an edition of a Sanskrit text that has been translated by somebody who speaks Sanskrit. Thanks for the revelation. I speak 4 languages (no, Sanskrit is not one of them); I think I can handle the diff. between interpretation, commentary and translation. In case you didn't know (wow, I can be sarcastic and condescending, too), tranlsations are something that very from translator to translator. For example, when I am watching a movie in a language I speak w. subtitles, I notice that the translator takes certain liberties w. the translation and the translation is not a word for word direct translation. When texts are oft-translating, there is usually a "standard" text. I notice that yoga practice attracts all kinds of crakpots and people with reductive, half baked knowledge. I am trying to get the most standard translation w.o Western New Age bull****. Thanks for all your help! Namaste.

Edited by ShaktiGrrl 2007-07-25 11:20 AM
jonnie
Posted 2007-07-25 11:31 AM (#92536 - in reply to #92530)

ShaktiGrrl - 2007-07-26 7:19 PM

So you are saying that I should look for an edition of a Sanskrit text that has been translated by somebody who speaks Sanskrit. Thanks for the revelation.

Hi Skakti,

You'd be surprised how many Yoga texts have been 'translated' by people who can not speak Sanskrit.

I would recommend either Georg Feuerstein's or Neel's.

Both are excellent, though it would be best to choose one and stick to just that text.

JOnathon

yoke
Posted 2007-07-27 9:44 PM (#92809 - in reply to #92536)

Hello,

My name is Yoke,

It is my dream and wish to go study with a genuine "new Rishi" and practise transcendental meditation and understand and practise the old Veda scriptures.

I wanna learn more about Kriya Yoga and would love somebody to guide me on my way.

Do you know any people that can help me ?

I thought India would be the place to go, off course...but some people now told me that many courses are not that good and very commercial.

What do you think,

thanks,

Yoke
brian48026
Posted 2007-08-02 10:00 AM (#93271 - in reply to #92241)

for free......

http://yogadancer.com/Asana.shtml

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)