YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

loving this book
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

raquel
Posted 2007-07-24 2:47 PM (#92432)
Subject: loving this book

Ive been reading Eric Schiffmans - moving into stillness - its amazing, he has such a lovely way of expressing himself, cant believe I never bought it before - its wonderful.
Has ayone else read it ? (probably all of you )
Iwould love to hear what other books everyone is reading at the moment?

x namaste x
Top of the page Bottom of the page
JackieCat
Posted 2007-07-24 4:30 PM (#92448 - in reply to #92432)
Subject: RE: loving this book

Extreme Veteran

I've read it- it's great!

I have been to several workshops with Erich and have also taken a 10 day TT with him. He is even better live- a truly great human being.

I've been feeling a little adrift in terms of yoga- your post has inspired me to return to Erich's book. Thanks!

Posted 2007-07-24 4:36 PM (#92449 - in reply to #92448)

I've also read it and enjoyed it a lot.

You might enjoy Yoga Beyond Belief by Ganga White. Also read anything that you can by J Krishnamurti. I am currently reading and enjoying Yoga Anatomy by Leslie Kaminoff.

Edited by jimg 2007-07-24 4:41 PM
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-07-24 10:02 PM (#92476 - in reply to #92432)

I have Erich Schiffman's book but haven't read very much of it, though I liked what I've read so far. Currently, I'm reading John Friend's Anusara Teachers' Manual for the immersion I'll be atttending in the fall, and have Pathways to Meditation by Sally Kempton / Swami Durgananda on deck (also required for the immersion). I never did finish Eastern Body, Western Mind by Anodea Judith though, have to go back to that one of these days.

For my non-yoga (i.e. fiction) reading, I'm halfway through Kelley Armstrong's newest title, No Humans Involved, with Kim Harrison's newest For A Few Demons More to follow. Genre, much?

OrangeMat
Posted 2007-07-25 6:52 AM (#92501 - in reply to #92476)

Oops, got the title wrong. It's The Heart of Meditation: Pathways to a Deeper Experience. Anyone familiar with this book?
dwd
Posted 2007-07-25 9:46 AM (#92512 - in reply to #92432)

How is the Anusara Teacher Training manual? I just ordered it...

I don't practice Anusara, but was curious about the manual and their methodology...

dwd
carlx
Posted 2007-07-25 9:50 AM (#92513 - in reply to #92512)

Regular

I'm reading 'The Art of Happiness' by the Dalai Lama.

Very good book.
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-07-25 7:04 PM (#92599 - in reply to #92512)

dwd - 2007-07-25 9:46 AM How is the Anusara Teacher Training manual? I just ordered it... I don't practice Anusara, but was curious about the manual and their methodology... dwd

I like the manual and find it highly readable; but then again, I'm attending Anusara classes. Instead of just reading about it, why not try a class, if you're that curious? Certainly, I don't think I'd understand half of what's written there if I hadn't been practicing Anusara for the past 2-3 months now, attending class about twice a week.

davidv2.2
Posted 2007-07-25 7:43 PM (#92603 - in reply to #92476)

OrangeMat - 2007-07-24 7:02 PM
... Kim Harrison's newest For A Few Demons More to follow.

I'm happily surprised to see Kim Harrison's series mentioned here :) I'm a big fan of this series. Those who like this sort of book might also enjoy the Temeraire series by Naomi Novik.

Thanks to those who mentioned their recommendations. I've just finished a couple books by Eknath Easwaran, and was looking for something wholesome to read next.
dwd
Posted 2007-07-25 10:14 PM (#92611 - in reply to #92432)

OrangeMat, I have tried classes that were taught by Anusara trained teachers, and I was slightly intrigued by their alignment principles as well as the sequencing...
tubeseeker
Posted 2007-07-27 2:38 PM (#92785 - in reply to #92432)

a book I really like was perfect health by chopra. I found a lot if information in there and ways to directly apply it to life and a daily routine. I also like how he list an order of importance if you dont want to incorperate everything into your routine. He also talks of daily cycles and how to get in tune with natures daily cylcle, which I had not read much about before. as far as incoperating yoga into my daily life, including things like diet, meditation, massages, exercises, etc..... it has been my favorite to date but then again I have only read about ten yoga books
tabula_rasa
Posted 2007-07-27 2:59 PM (#92787 - in reply to #92432)

Book I'm reading right now, with Ali's recommendation, is "Jivamukti Yoga" by David Life and Sharon Gannon. Honestly as my first yoga book that explains yoga further than Western point of view's body and mind... It's confusing the heck out of me.
jonnie
Posted 2007-07-28 12:03 AM (#92814 - in reply to #92432)

Yes, it's a great book.

raquel
Posted 2007-07-28 10:10 AM (#92832 - in reply to #92432)

Know what you mean Tabula, sometimes I read a book and I think "oh no I know nothing!!" the more you try to learn the more you realise how vast it is, its a life times work (maybe many) Some books you dont understand anything and then you practice and understand a bit,, practice some more and other things become clearer, some days after practice you have a aha moment and think so thats what it is they were trying to explain, and it just goes on and on another piece of the puzzle fits into place.
What I have learned is you will only understand things when you are ready to,and that it really is true yoga is 99% practice 1% theory, while a picture may be worth athousand words an action is worth thousands of pictures.
tourist
Posted 2007-07-28 11:37 AM (#92841 - in reply to #92832)

Expert Yogi

raquel - we often joke that the books get rewritten while we have them closed I would swear that new stuff appears, especially in Light on Yoga, while it is sitting on my bookshelf...
raquel
Posted 2007-07-28 12:23 PM (#92850 - in reply to #92432)

Totally, Ive been reading Godfrey Devereux dynamic yoga for 4 years and it still reveals more and more each time I read it I never tire of it, It has such a wealth of knowledge and is technically genius. Ive done intensives with him but the book still keeps speaking freshly to me all the time!

I was so pleased when I read schiffmans book because I had discovered something in my own practice and wasnt sure if what I was feeling was true or my imagination, I experimented with it and taught what I had observed, I was pleasantly surprised when I studied his book that he practced and taught what I had found and with the same exercise !
tabula_rasa
Posted 2007-07-28 2:32 PM (#92859 - in reply to #92432)

Raquel, thanks for the word of encouragement. I'm sure I'll post a list of questions when I'm done reading the book.
bstqltmkr
Posted 2007-07-29 12:46 PM (#92909 - in reply to #92432)

My only experience with Eric Schiffman is through my first video, the Ali MaGraw video that he instructed. It was my favorite, and still is although I don't follow videos anymore.

Raquel, can you tell more about the insight you had that corresponds with his teaching. I love when things like this happen and I'm interested. I've been interested in his book for a while, now I'm definately putting it on the list.
raquel
Posted 2007-07-30 5:28 AM (#92958 - in reply to #92432)

Yes, It was to do with the lines of energy. When I was practicing one day I came to do trikonasana and my arms lifted up on there own, without me intentionally doing it. It felt amazing. I experimented with this phenomina and noticed that as I breathed in the stretch increased and my arms lifted much more quickly. And my body felt very light and yet energised, no tension or effort. I demonstrated it to my husband and he said dont tell anyone they will think you are mad! Any way I wasnt really sure if what I was feeling was true or more contrived. But carried on playing with it,
this opened a whole new way of practicing. I taught it to my class some of them felt it, but I still wasnt sure. Then I bought Schiffmans book and there it was in black and white - lines of energy and how feeling them in your posture the way he describes gives a whole new dimension. I wasnt mad after all and was so happy I had discovered it without a teacher, by simply observing and listening to my body.

If you havent got the book go out and buy it - its a wonderful book written straight from the heart -the way he decribes getting into and holding postures is fantastic - there is so much depth to his teaching, which I love.

iIf you go on his web sight you can read extracts from his book.
Namaste

Edited by raquel 2007-07-30 5:32 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)