YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Lots o' Wheel Questions
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

ShaktiGrrl
Posted 2007-07-28 2:16 PM (#92855)
Subject: Lots o' Wheel Questions

I can't seem to get up into wheel. I'm doing much better (ie I can put the crown of my head on my mat for a hot second), but I still can't do it. Is wheel more about backbending flexibility or arm strength? I feel like I just don't have the strength to pop up into wheel. Is it maybe an issue w. wrist flexibility? It feels so weird to have my hands in that positiion next to my ears. Does anybody have any suggestions or diff. perpsectives on on it that might help me? Is it just a matter of building up my guns until I can push myself up?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
SCThornley
Posted 2007-07-28 2:26 PM (#92858 - in reply to #92855)
Subject: RE: Lots o' Wheel Questions

try using an exercise ball for support to get used to the position and continue to practice

Posted 2007-07-28 3:05 PM (#92863 - in reply to #92858)

Like Steve advised kiddo--also a partner standing near your head so you can grab the ankles is often a help. Most conventional wisdom says the inability to get into the full wheel is not a matter of strength but rather flexibility in the shoulders. The latter remains my cross to bear.
tourist
Posted 2007-07-28 5:54 PM (#92868 - in reply to #92863)

Expert Yogi

Yep, shoulders and I suppose wrists, too. If you have trouble with handstands due to wrists, that would be it. Learn the Iyengar style backbend out of a chair. Much safer than the ball, IMHO. Or look for furniture like a piano bench, coffee table, etc. that you can sit on and bend over. Also, using a stair or an aerobics step to put your hands on (be sure it is firmly anchored) will help. Have fun!
SCThornley
Posted 2007-07-28 9:21 PM (#92873 - in reply to #92855)

the exercise ball is sorta unstable but, a lot of us have them around and I like using it for support when I just wanna do a back arch and I'm not near the end of my series........

so, if you gotta ball, it works, but I'm big and so is my ball. You might be a lot smaller than me, and you probably would want a smaller ball.

Posted 2007-07-29 3:59 AM (#92877 - in reply to #92855)

The actions of backbending mandate the student have enough awareness to move the spine into the torso and away from the flesh of the back body. The action is developed in Bhujangasana, Setu Bandha, Ustrasana, and any prep work for those poses.

The ability to "come up" in Urdhva Dhanurasana involves the strength of the upper body and the legs as well as the opening in the shoulders, chest and hip flexors.

It is far more important to make strides to come up into the pose with shoulder joint integrity than it is to come up into the pose, period. To do this place a block between your elbows (width wise of course) and hold it there. Then come onto the crown of the head (and no farther). If you are able to do this consistently while holding the brick then you are ready to consider coming up in the full pose - still holding the brick.

Otherwise continue the work of holding the brick and coming onto the crown. Press into the earth as much as you'd like (doing the "action") in that position but do not release the brick. When the brick comes down, so do you.

Edited by purnayoga 2007-07-29 4:00 AM
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-07-29 1:18 PM (#92911 - in reply to #92855)

We've workshopped this pose quite a bit in class, and the main focus I've found that works the best for most body types is attention to the lower body's alignment. Encouraging an inward rotation of the legs, big toes turned slightly inward even, and a sense of softness in the groins is key. If your groins are hard as you attempt to push your hips up to the sky, all you'll end up doing is dumping your center of gravity up onto the upper body. Now if you're really powerful, even with the groins hard, you'll probably make the lift, but it'll all be a muscling up, and it won't feel too nice. It should be a uniformed floating up of the body. So having fluidity in the hips to allow a bit of a recess in the hip creases is essential, I think.

If you don't like your hands by your ears, maybe it's because they're a bit too close to your head? Try them at mat's distance apart, see if that's any better for allowing the shoulders a touch more freedom. Have you tried having your hands on blocks angled by the wall? The higher your hands are off the floor, the more that center of gravity is encouraged to come toward your lower body, which is generally stronger for most of us. The legs have the power, so use them! Just keep the rest of the torso nice and long and supple. Remember, this is an asana, not a feat of weighlifting.

I had a teacher (Iyengar teacher, in fact) show us a very interesting technique once in how to get up into wheel WITHOUT the crown of the head first coming onto the floor. We set up in bridge first, heart arching up and groins and tailbone sinking down as always, then did a side-to-side swaying action with the hips to come up. Almost like we were stepping the body weight first onto the left hip, then the right, then back and forth again, in small increments, until we were completely arched in the pose. It felt completely effortless coming up that way! Of course you needed to know the basics of engaging the shoulder blades into the back, lengthening the torso and keeping the thighs parallel as you did that swaying-up motion, but man, it was amazing!

But from the basics, do practice bridge first, and practice it well. Work on keeping the thighs in truly parallel and the lowback long and open, as well as feeling the backbend up behind the heart, like there's a hand there gently supporting and lifting you up. I actually encourage my beginning students to let the hips hang heavy a bit so as not to take away from the feeling of the heart rising up and to the chin. Also work the backbends that Purna recommended to teach the body what it's supposed to feel. When I'm in a truly open wheel pose, my wrists feel no pressure and I have a tremendous sense of freedom in my heart and throat. And I have tight shoulders as well.

Edited by OrangeMat 2007-07-29 1:20 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)