YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

viparita karani
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

libragirl
Posted 2007-07-30 10:19 PM (#93019)
Subject: viparita karani

I know this is supposed to be one of the most relaxing asanas around. When I was teaching, I would offer this up at the end of a practice if I made class more strenuous than usual, or if my students looked like they needed a restorative pose. They all seemed very grateful.

But for me, this pose inspires a panicked feeling; I'm not quite sure why, but there's something more intense about the tingling sensation when the legs are up the wall versus in the air during sarvangasana. Instead of feeling relaxed after this pose, I usually feel either slightly queasy or full of adrenaline. Anyone else?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-07-31 7:25 AM (#93033 - in reply to #93019)
Subject: RE: viparita karani

Your logic is wrong. This pose is not relaxing while doing it, but it makes you relaxed afterwards, not just after doing it but much later.
TampaEric
Posted 2007-07-31 10:46 AM (#93051 - in reply to #93033)

Neel,

This is an excellent point.

I try to look at my practice this way too.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-07-31 11:02 AM (#93055 - in reply to #93051)

Hey Tampa: My new employer's head office is in Tampa!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, hopefully, I shall get chances to get their. I mean to Head Office. I mean to meet you!!!!!!!!!

TampaEric - 2007-07-31 10:46 AM

Neel,

This is an excellent point.

I try to look at my practice this way too.
tourist
Posted 2007-07-31 11:02 AM (#93056 - in reply to #93019)

Expert Yogi

LG - maybe tell us more about exactly how you do this pose? The people I know who don't enjoy it typically are those for whom the bolster/support is too high or people with tight hamstrings who don't or won't move themselves far enough away from the wall.

I could give you a bunch of wild guesses about why you aren't comfortable, but maybe more info about you and how you do the pose would be best first.
TampaEric
Posted 2007-07-31 11:11 AM (#93058 - in reply to #93055)

I"ll be here. You're talking about yoga, right? *smiles

Eric
libragirl
Posted 2007-07-31 11:49 AM (#93070 - in reply to #93019)

physically, I'm comfortable. Nothing hurts. It's a mental thing...something about the tingling feeling in my legs causes panic/anxiety. I just wondered if others had felt something similar or heard of people who had. I've also found that heart openers can cause a similar anxious feeling for me.
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-07-31 12:12 PM (#93078 - in reply to #93070)

I've gotten a feeling of panic when in camel, speaking of heart-openers. Then I realized I was holding tension in my throat. Allowing a sense of surrender in that backbend minimized the anxious feeling I had there, so maybe that's somewhat related to you?

Also, during the restorative workshop I attended a couple months ago, I had a bit of discomfort in this exact pose, viparita karani, but the elevated version (hips not on the floor). The teacher placed a small eyebag under my upperback, just at the top of the thoracic spine, which allowed my top ribs to spread open a bit more, again freeing my throat and neck a bit. It was heaven. Before that, I was feeling all constricted in my throat and anxious as a result.

The tingling in your legs, that I have no idea though, sorry!

tourist
Posted 2007-07-31 1:48 PM (#93089 - in reply to #93078)

Expert Yogi

Ah - how are you in plain old legs-up-the-wall? Try that then try adding a blanket at a time under the hips and see where the trouble occurs. Sounds like it has to do with the chest opening aspect, but I would also be looking at the angle of your chin to chest and trying to figure out the tingling legs. It is a deceptively simple pose but there is a lot going on.

Posted 2007-08-01 2:51 AM (#93119 - in reply to #93019)

LG

What sort of asana practice are you doing? And in your personal practice how are you sequencing this pose? Are your students experiencing the same thing in VK when you are teaching it? In what way(s) are you setting up the pose relative to props (for your self)?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)