YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Yoga and exercising/lifting
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

raquel
Posted 2007-08-03 8:31 AM (#93378 - in reply to #93020)
Subject: RE: Yoga and exercising/lifting

Thanks Jonnie, sounds very interesting,
Im not sure what PM means (sorry not very computer literate) but ive updated my Email on my settings, look forward to your message.

I also think ashtanga is not suitable for everyone, peolple have different bodies and temperaments, thats what is so great about the diversity of the approaches to yogasana, there is something for everyone

Edited by raquel 2007-08-03 8:36 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Nick
Posted 2007-08-03 8:31 AM (#93379 - in reply to #93377)

Hi Jonnie,
I think that's it's main problem-it presents itself in a linear manner, so that only very few individuals can follow the sequence-I reckon it should be set out more like iyengar's ligtho n yoga, so that practicioners can choose appropiate postures/sequences-that how I teach it, anyway.

Nick
raquel
Posted 2007-08-03 8:35 AM (#93380 - in reply to #93020)

Nick, thats how I teach it too, I adapt a bit it to fit the individuals in the class, but I keep everything in the correct order.
jonnie
Posted 2007-08-03 11:07 AM (#93401 - in reply to #93378)

raquel - 2007-08-04 4:31 PM

Thanks Jonnie, sounds very interesting, Im not sure what PM means (sorry not very computer literate) but ive updated my Email on my settings, look forward to your message.

Hi Rachel,

PM is private messaging. It's at the top of the page and used for sending personal messages between forum members.

I have sent the article to your email address.

Jonathon

Posted 2007-08-03 12:23 PM (#93417 - in reply to #93360)

raquel - 2007-08-03 2:53 AM

Krisnamacharya found the manuscript himself whilst on his travels in Calcutta at the National library,

why couldnt it survive under the right conditions, egyption papyrus survived many years.

Calcutta has one of the most humid climates in the world; Egypt has one of the dryest climates in the world. We know so much about ancient Egypt because the climate has preserved so much. Stone buildings don't even last all that long in Calcutta because of the humidity.
raquel
Posted 2007-08-03 12:26 PM (#93418 - in reply to #93020)

never thought of that, Im just holding on to the myth I suppose
TampaEric
Posted 2007-08-03 1:13 PM (#93419 - in reply to #93401)

Jumping in late here. But I seem to recall iyengar saying that he has the original notes that were translated by the palm leaves.

Anyone else heard or read that? I'm sure I didn't make it up...
strazin
Posted 2007-08-04 1:58 AM (#93442 - in reply to #93236)

purnayoga - 2007-08-02 3:41 AM

It seems rather obvious that movement does not, in and of itself, lead to stilling the mind. Otherwise everyone in New York would have very still minds as they move constantly: just as they do in Las Vegas or Los Angeles. It is only in the stillness, the stopping of the running around (societally and logistically speaking) that we can even begin to explore the Self.

I do not understand which activities involve "movement" and which activities do not. In my experience, I am always moving in infinitely many ways. I breathe; my heart thumps; my cells are constantly dying or sprouting. Is this not movement? Sure there is less movement if you sit instead of run, but infinity minus a constant is still infinity. If such is the case, then how is the exact amount of movement in an activity relavent to its meditative value?

I personally do not know how many people in New York or LA are enlightened, but it seems unfair to assume that a busy lifestyle necessarily entails a disturbed mind. According to this logic, would the people in a calm, sedentary lifestyle of a hick farmtown be more "likely" to have peaceful, enlightened minds?

purnayoga - 2007-08-02 3:41 AM

As asana is not Yoga, a question of "is yoga the same as weight training" warrants a "no" answer.

Asana is not Yoga?? I thought Asana and Pranayama formed two of the eight petals of the yogic system.
jonnie
Posted 2007-08-04 2:41 AM (#93444 - in reply to #93442)

Hi strazin,

You are right when you say that the body is always in a state of constant movement.

The question to ask is which movements are within my control and what can I do to minimise these movements?

Yes, we all breath and our hearts pump blood (that is part of being alive), though have you ever thought about how your diet, choice of exercise, career and stress levels can effect the speed of your breathing and heart rate?

This reduced/increased movement in the body will create a reduction/increase of movement in the mind. So if we think about it logically, there is a direct correlation between a busy lifestyle and a busy mind.

This may not always mean that people who live a calm, sedentary lifestyle are likely to have peaceful enlightened minds, though it would certainly help if that was their goal.

Asana is not Yoga, though asana and pranayama are two of the eight limbs of Raja Yoga.

Jonathon
jonnie
Posted 2007-08-04 2:42 AM (#93445 - in reply to #93419)

TampaEric - 2007-08-04 9:13 PM

Jumping in late here. But I seem to recall iyengar saying that he has the original notes that were translated by the palm leaves.

Anyone else heard or read that? I'm sure I didn't make it up...

That's urban myth Eric.

I'm not sure that SKPJ even says that he has a copy.

Jonathon
iandicker
Posted 2007-08-04 5:13 AM (#93451 - in reply to #93445)

Johnnie,

Can't find that e-mail PDF. did you send it to my personal address or the message box on the forum?

Personally I like the linear form of ashtanga, It gets round all that "what poses shall I do today" uncertainty that I didn't like about the iyengar/Eric Schiffmann yoga I used to do. I feel happier in the routine. Guess that's the kind of person I am.

Ian
jonnie
Posted 2007-08-04 7:50 AM (#93457 - in reply to #93451)

ian****er - 2007-08-04 1:13 PM

Johnnie,

Can't find that e-mail PDF. did you send it to my personal address or the message box on the forum?

Ian

Hi Ian,

I sent it to the email address listed on your profile.

Jonathon
naveen182
Posted 2007-08-04 11:14 AM (#93472 - in reply to #93020)

One basic question. May not be exactly related to the topic of the thread. Is it sufficient if a person just does yoga and not worry about other physical exercises (walking, weight lifting etc).

Doctors suggest some form of physical exercise like walking for controlling cholesterol and BP. Can this also be achieved with yoga? When there is time constraint to do both of them ( yoga and other physical exercises) which one should be preffred?
naveen182
Posted 2007-08-04 11:17 AM (#93473 - in reply to #93020)

sorry, it is preferred
jonnie
Posted 2007-08-04 11:23 AM (#93474 - in reply to #93473)

Hi naveen,

If a person has issues with their BP and cholesterol, they may control it with specific Yoga asanas (ideally prescribed and taught by an experienced Yoga teacher in consultation with their doctor).

Inversions such as headstand work the heart very well if you are able to hold the pose for a while (either supported or unsupported).

Jonathon
raquel
Posted 2007-08-04 11:43 AM (#93476 - in reply to #93020)

Why not walk to your yoga class?

naveen182
Posted 2007-08-04 3:42 PM (#93481 - in reply to #93020)

Thank you both.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)