YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

question for the group?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

Posted 2007-08-03 7:05 AM (#93375 - in reply to #93173)
Subject: RE: question for the group?

there is a lot of drama in the different studios that i've worked for as well.

what i find is that i commonly deal with people's insecurities.

for my own part, i feel that i'm relatively secure in myself overall. yes, i have my 'spots.' but, for the most part, i do pretty well.

when it comes to teaching yoga, i'm not really attached to what i'm doing or what other teachers are doing. i'm not in a comparison game and i really don't think about it much. i go into a classroom and teach what i teach.

what i often find is that newer teachers and often sometimes studio owners as well are insecure in their own teaching when they compare themselves to what i'm doing in my classroom. this often leads them into dramas that don't necessarily involve me--which is why i strive to 'put it back on them.'

it's not reactionary, defensive, or aggressive, it's just putting the locus of the problem squarely on the locus of the problem.

i find that this reduces the drama on the whole. instead of saying 'no, i'm not changing it' or "yes, i'm changing it" i decide instead to say "why not take some time as a group and come up with a solution."

this often gives plenty of time for people to manage their insecurity, to work through their concerns, and create new ways to relate. it often decreases drama over time.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
TampaEric
Posted 2007-08-03 9:00 AM (#93386 - in reply to #93337)

Thanks Ravi.

I was trying to build a case, now I think I should just go with the flow, right?

TampaEric
Posted 2007-08-03 9:06 AM (#93389 - in reply to #93367)

I probably should keep specifics down since this is a public place.

A staff meeting would probably solve most of the issues.
It really is a wonderful place on many levels. Great space, great teachers, great students, etc..
TampaEric
Posted 2007-08-03 9:07 AM (#93390 - in reply to #93375)

Very insightful.

Thanks for taking the time to post that.
raquel
Posted 2007-08-03 10:43 AM (#93397 - in reply to #93173)

I think its quite important that the students know what theyre letting themselves in for, I mean I just couldnt imagine calling all of my classes simply yoga, I would for certain have arthritic mature students turning up for ashtanga and then what?? There needs to be some sort of definition to set it apart from other classes being taught. If your class is stronger and the other teacher wants to call hers a flow class, then give extra definition to the type of flow you teach, theres no harm done shes happy, your happy and the students know what to expect so theyre happy and thats all that matters.

I think your mantra "go with the flow" is perfect for this situation

Posted 2007-08-12 7:13 AM (#94027 - in reply to #93397)

raquel:

you bring up an interesting point, but i also see some other things in relation to this.

first, i find that labelling makes a difference. people who want to take "yoga" but don't know what it is may be put off by a certain label such as "power yoga." i had a woman take my class on thursday (first time i've taught that class at that time at that place), and it was labeled "power yoga" (their choice). after taking the class (that was not "power yoga" as i would define it--i taught it according to the level of those present), she said "i think i need to take beginners first" even though she did great, the class was 'beginners' and all of that. she said that she was "scared" to take power yoga, and that she was "surprised she managed to do the class." after class, another woman asked if there was a "beginners class" because she doesn't want to take "power yoga" first thing.

i get that, i really do. And then, you also have people who think that they "should be" in power yoga, when they really need to be in a beginner's class or something similar. in the studio where i level out (mentioned around here some where), most people sign up for level 2 who have no business signing up for anything other than therapeutics.

so, i find that the labeling of my classes is often ridiculous from this stand point, but it's also difficult based on what i do.

when i teach, it's always leveled and taught to the people present. if an arthritic elder comes to class, then we're going to do postures in ways that suit her, and will also keep the class engaged. my experienced students never, ever have a problem with it, the beginners 'go with the flow' of it, and the newbie has a great time.

the next class might be all my experienced people, and we'll rock out on some crazy-advanced moves. anyone looking in on us would say "that class is impossible!" which of course, it may be for them right then, and of course when they come to class, it wouldn't be that way because they're in it!

so, how do i label my classes? i tend to use "all levels yoga" as a general catch all, so that everyone feels welcome. but i do have people who go online and look up 'types of yoga' and they 'll ask me "is your yoga like power yoga? classical yoga? iyengar yoga?" and i tell them that it's free form vinyasa, like power yoga, but that it's always leveled to the people in the room--there are no set sequencing, everything has multiple levels of modification which i will instruct each student in specificly, that i give adjustments, etc.

but honestly, in many cases, we just call it "yoga" and then the description is: this class is all levels! come with an open mind to open your body in new and dynamic ways using the ancient technique of yoga!

blah-dee-blah. most people don't know what they're in for anyway, even if they do read descriptions.

usually, i have no clue what a class is going to be like. i just keep an open mind and go. (and, i have this funny/nasty habit of always taking a beginners course at any new studio that i go to so that i can learn the 'style' and 'alignment' from the ground up. my local iyengar teacher immediately advanced me to level 4 after the first class. i wanted to take level 1 for those 10 weeks--but she wouldn't allow it. nope! level 4! had to change the day and everything, but then she changed her schedule and it didn't match anymore and i had to stop going!).
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)