YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Offered job - can't decide
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

tmarques
Posted 2007-08-02 1:38 AM (#93228)
Subject: Offered job - can't decide

Hey, everyone. Some of you might remember my post about teaching my first classes and the mixed results. I promise to keep it short(er) this time.

I was asked to sub again at the same studio yesterday and accepted it. It was a single class, so I was feeling more relaxed about it than last time - until the studio owner walked in and unrolled her matt. I know it sounds stupid, but it really threw me off - I was actually debating whether I should adjust her or not for a while. In fact, I'm still unsure if it was appropriate, but her Parivrtta Trikonasana was so half-assed I suspected she was testing me, so I went for it. But I digress.

Class was ok. I was again frustrated by certain aspects of it, but that's not the point. After class, the SO approaches me and says that with the new practice room ready by the end of the month, she needs two new teachers. She wants me to be one of them. It was 10pm so we didn't talk much. We're supposed to have lunch next week.

Well... I'm thrilled that she even asked but it just seems like things are happening too fast and too soon. My life is such a mess right now and I feel like there's so much that needs to be straightened out before I can jump into this. But then again, that's what I've been saying for years and life doesn't seem any less complicated. And I'd hate to burn any bridges.

Well, you know what they say about Vatas and making decisions. I suppose I have the entire weeked to sleep on it. Wish me luck and thanks for letting me vent again.

Edited by tmarques 2007-08-02 1:59 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2007-08-02 4:03 AM (#93239 - in reply to #93228)
Subject: RE: Offered job - can't decide

Eat root vegetables, then decide. Though I think you've already decided.

Posted 2007-08-02 8:43 AM (#93257 - in reply to #93228)

if it doesn't feel right, don't do it. . . .

but you could always try it and see if it works out for you. that is, tell her that you'd like to work on a trial basis (say 1 class per week for 12 weeks), and then at the end of that time, determine if it is right for you. and during that time, you can give her notice as to how you feel, so that she can find a replacement if she needs to.

good luck with your decision.

Posted 2007-08-02 8:53 AM (#93259 - in reply to #93228)

ANd the good news is: it's not an irreversible decision--only good thigs should result from whichever fork in the road you take. Now if you were discussing elective sury--that decision would be a valid reason for in-depth discussion. In this case, like the greatest of yogis advises, "When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

Posted 2007-08-02 9:06 AM (#93262 - in reply to #93228)

i remember in the muppet movie how there was this massive fork in the road.

that cracks me up. i love muppets.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-08-02 9:31 AM (#93268 - in reply to #93228)

Congratulations. This is not a life time decision or offer. So, accept it for one session and test it out. May be that shall straighten out other things for good. And, this has NOTHING to do with Vata and all such Ayurvedism.

tmarques - 2007-08-02 1:38 AM

Well... I'm thrilled that she even asked but it just seems like things are happening too fast and too soon. My life is such a mess right now and I feel like there's so much that needs to be straightened out before I can jump into this. But then again, that's what I've been saying for years and life doesn't seem any less complicated. And I'd hate to burn any bridges.

Well, you know what they say about Vatas and making decisions. I suppose I have the entire weeked to sleep on it. Wish me luck and thanks for letting me vent again.
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-08-06 7:17 AM (#93561 - in reply to #93228)

Hey, congrats on the offer! I was in a similar position a couple months ago, and I only had one day's notice to decide! I think it's like having children; you're never exactly ready in that everything else is straightened out in your life, but just that you somehow have learned to trust (something? what?) and that in itself makes you ready.

The right decision will become apparent to you if you don't force yourself to make it. It's like the concept of not muscling up into an asana. Good luck in whatever works out for you!

Posted 2007-08-06 12:38 PM (#93625 - in reply to #93228)

Congratulations! Go for it! The only way to learn to teach is by doing it. If the studio owner thinks that you are ready, trust her.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)