YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Taking classes
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

sark
Posted 2007-08-02 10:18 AM (#93273)
Subject: Taking classes

I have been taking classes now for about 6 months or so. What I am seeing is that we pretty much go over the same thing and I am not looking as forward to it as I once did. As a rule do people take classes at first then practice on their own or do they keep taking classes indefinetlly? I still love yoga and what it does for me, but just wondering if I should keep with taking classes?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jonnie
Posted 2007-08-02 10:20 AM (#93275 - in reply to #93273)
Subject: RE: Taking classes

Hi sark,

What 'type' of Yoga are you practising?

Jonathon

Posted 2007-08-02 12:37 PM (#93285 - in reply to #93273)

You need to take classes to learn the poses and how to do them without hurting yourself. After that, you need to have a home practice. Whether you choose to continue classes is up to you. Getting input from a qualified teacher is always a good idea as we all need both internal and external input, but it is really your own personal practice that is the most important. If your classes seem to be too repetitive, you might benefit from taking other classes or trying a different style. In the end, you need to find your own yoga and find it new each day.

Posted 2007-08-02 12:43 PM (#93288 - in reply to #93273)

you do both, actually.

you practice in class and on your own. what you learn in class, you take home and practice on your own until you really learn it. it can take years to learn a single posture in it's complete version. some say, it takes a lifetime to learn a single posture.

so, i recommend beginning your home practice in addition to taking classes. if you'd like to learn other postures, perhaps the teacher can recommend another class as well--but know that it's important to learn foundational poses, and there are lessons within each pose well worth learning (and repeating).

good luck!
sark
Posted 2007-08-02 1:19 PM (#93300 - in reply to #93273)

The classes are Iyengar style.

I do know what you mean about refining the pose. Each time I do it it seems I forget and aspect of it or learn a new aspect of the pose.
jonnie
Posted 2007-08-02 1:37 PM (#93306 - in reply to #93300)

sark - 2007-08-03 9:19 PM

The classes are Iyengar style.

I do know what you mean about refining the pose. Each time I do it it seems I forget and aspect of it or learn a new aspect of the pose.

As ZB says, keep taking the clases and practising at home.

Six months is quite a short time to have been practising Iyengar Yoga. In the UK Iyengar association a student is still considered a beginner at two years.

The system is designed to build a strong foundation, from which more advanced work can be learned when the student is ready.

Jonathon
raquel
Posted 2007-08-03 10:28 AM (#93395 - in reply to #93273)

Hy Sark,
If your not looking forward to the class Id look for another, although yoga does take commitment and discipline, enjoyment is the main thing that keeps us going back. All styles and teachers are different maybe its time you moved on and tried something else to reinspire you!

Yoga should eventually be a self practice, if you feel confident enough, do some at home as well.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)