YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Breathing properly...
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

MCS510
Posted 2007-08-06 8:56 PM (#93651)
Subject: Breathing properly...

I'm new to yoga. I began 6 or so years ago but then had a serious accident in which I broke my back. That has healed but I have crushed discs and SI Joint dysfunction. Anyway, I'm trying to find out 2 things. First, I pulled out my old DVD (Suzanne Deason (?) Yoga for Weigh Loss) and noticed that the breathing in this Yoga is through the chest. During the past years I've learned diaphragmic breathing for both meditation and through physical therapy. What is the correct way to breath while doing yoga? I was so confused because it went against everything I've learned recently about how the proper kind of breathing. The second question is about the kind of yoga I should be doing. I am a home user so I'm looking for a DVD that won't kill me like my old one did. As I said I have serious back issues and chronic pain so I'm looking for a yoga DVD that won't hurt me. Any recommendations?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-08-06 11:19 PM (#93654 - in reply to #93651)
Subject: RE: Breathing properly...

Yes. Hire an experienced Yoga Instructor for private classes and make a custom made DVD for yourself.

MCS510 - 2007-08-06 8:56 PM

I'm new to yoga. I began 6 or so years ago but then had a serious accident in which I broke my back. That has healed but I have crushed discs and SI Joint dysfunction. Anyway, I'm trying to find out 2 things. First, I pulled out my old DVD (Suzanne Deason (?) Yoga for Weigh Loss) and noticed that the breathing in this Yoga is through the chest. During the past years I've learned diaphragmic breathing for both meditation and through physical therapy. What is the correct way to breath while doing yoga? I was so confused because it went against everything I've learned recently about how the proper kind of breathing. The second question is about the kind of yoga I should be doing. I am a home user so I'm looking for a DVD that won't kill me like my old one did. As I said I have serious back issues and chronic pain so I'm looking for a yoga DVD that won't hurt me. Any recommendations?
jonnie
Posted 2007-08-06 11:58 PM (#93662 - in reply to #93651)

Hi MCS510,

I answered your question in the other thread.

Though in light of the new information regarding your back that you mention here, I will say absolutely do not attempt to learn Yoga from a dvd or video (unless like Neel mentions, it was created specifically for you).

Jonathon

Posted 2007-08-07 2:15 AM (#93666 - in reply to #93651)

When you add the phrase "correct way" into a question it begs the emergence of dogma. There is no correct way. There is only a correct way relative to intention (or purpose). Therefore the responses would vary greatly and potentially confuse you more.

The home of the breath is the lungs. As such in our practice and teaching (Purna Yoga) the breath is kept between the collarbones and the diaphragm. The belly may move a bit but students are advised to ignore it relative to directing the breath (unless doing so for a specific purpose which is beyond the scope of this question).

Also keep in mind that breathing in yoga for asana may be different than breathing in yoga for pranayama. There are some logical reasons the breath is not housed in the belly in yoga (relative to purpose) but again it's beyond the scope of the question.

I agree wholeheartedly with Neel and Jonnie about a qualified teacher. The spine houses the nervous system and when there is damage or dysfunction in the spine it is best to be handled very, very mindfully.

Edited by purnayoga 2007-08-07 2:15 AM
raquel
Posted 2007-08-07 3:56 AM (#93669 - in reply to #93651)

I agree with the other posts - find an experienced teacher to give you one on one tuition. Have you tried pilates? Its an excellent method for strengthening your core and works very well with yoga, again though its best to have private lessons.

The breath should be as natural and relaxed as posible, making sure you are not sniffing in the breath or chest breathing. I like to imagine the breath coming up through the back of the spine, filling back and sides and then chest. The lungs reach behind the spine.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)