YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Beginning yoga
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Hatha YogaMessage format

calle real
Posted 2007-08-08 10:01 PM (#93815)
Subject: Beginning yoga

I am reading a translated version of Hatha Yoga Pradipika by Swami Muktibodhananda. In chapter 2 verse 11 it is metioned that there are seasonal recomendations of when to begin praciticing. It refers to the Gherand Samhita saying, "One should not begin the practice of yoga in these seasons, viz. hemant 'early winter', shishira 'late winter', grisma 'summer', and varsha 'monsoon. If practiced, yoga causes sickness." It is metioned that fall and spring is the best time to start. Has anybody heard of or can anyone explain the reason behind this? I started practicing the asanas in this book over a week ago and for the past couple of nights I've been waking up at 3 or 4 am and can't fall back asleep for an hour or so. I don't feel naseua or anything so should I continue to practice or wait to the fall to begin?

Edited by calle real 2007-08-08 10:03 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-08-08 10:33 PM (#93818 - in reply to #93815)
Subject: RE: Beginning yoga

calle real - 2007-08-08 10:01 PM

I am reading a translated version of Hatha Yoga Pradipika by Swami Muktibodhananda.
===> Fantastic. Read the book to understand what Hathayoga pradipika is saying, but NOT for developing practice. For practice, learn from an experienced teacher. And, after you become experienced, again study this book.

In chapter 2 verse 11 it is metioned that there are seasonal recomendations of when to begin praciticing. It refers to the Gherand Samhita saying, "One should not begin the practice of yoga in these seasons, viz. hemant 'early winter', shishira 'late winter', grisma 'summer', and varsha 'monsoon. If practiced, yoga causes sickness." It is metioned that fall and spring is the best time to start. Has anybody heard of or can anyone explain the reason behind this?
===> For brevity, I can not elaborate the reasons. But, the reasons have more to do with the life style at the time of writing the HYP. This injuction does not apply today unless you are living in the forest.

I started practicing the asanas in this book over a week ago and for the past couple of nights I've been waking up at 3 or 4 am and can't fall back asleep for an hour or so. I don't feel naseua or anything so should I continue to practice or wait to the fall to begin?
===> This proves that just studying book is not enough. So, attend an instruction from a teacher. As for your immediate question, when sleepy go to sleep, when not sleepy do not sleep. Do not worry about other things.

jonnie
Posted 2007-08-09 12:33 AM (#93830 - in reply to #93815)

I calle real,

Welcome to the forum.

The version of the Hatha Yoga Pradipika by Swami Muktibodhananda is an excellent book though it is both a translation and a commentary which includes additional techniques and practises.

The orginal HYP was written in a deceptively vague style to ensure the secrecy of the techniques and was never intented as a self teaching manual.

That is why it is important to study the techniques with a qualified teacher.

Yoga practise used to take place outside and early in the morning, so the recommendations of when to begin practise where often dictated by the seasons. These days we tend to practise in warm/air conditioned studios or houses so this becomes less appropriate.

Jonathon
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-08-09 9:17 AM (#93840 - in reply to #93815)

Thanks Jonniebhai for most wonderful clarification.

Since this topic of Beginning Yoga Came, I wish to post something in the General Yoga Thread.

Interested ones, see there.
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-08-09 11:20 AM (#93851 - in reply to #93840)

Ah, just saw that other post, Neel, before this one. Now it all makes sense!

Posted 2007-08-09 2:00 PM (#93865 - in reply to #93815)

I just wanted to reiterate the previous posts and says that the text itself is very clear that yoga studies should be done with a qualified teacher.

Ch.1.14 Says "Living in such a place, the Yogi, being free in his mind from all cares, should practice only Yoga all the time, AS TAUGHT BY HIS GURU."
Ch.2. 1 Also refers to practicing according to instructions by a guru.

There are other references to studying with a teacher in the text. I was lucky that I was introduced to this text by a qualified teacher. He was very careful to say that the text should not be read literally.

As a westerner - with a background in philosophy - I still find this concept of disciple/guru new. I do read the texts on my own. But I gain much more from then when I study them with a qualified teacher.

Best wishes.
Vicki
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-08-09 4:13 PM (#93881 - in reply to #93815)

victw, Thanks very much for your statement.
Phil
Posted 2007-08-19 12:03 PM (#94444 - in reply to #93815)

Hi. As Jonhathan said the scripture has to be read in context.

In India a lot of yoga practices are introduced in spring and fall as the summers is to hot and wet and winter to cold.

As no one had air conditioning in pre 20th century India.

But in the modern world we can regulate the climate indoors.

So i don't think you should worry about the time of year, just whether you are practising safely.

If you can't sleep at night it can be things like what time of day you practise and eat. But don't worry to much. these things do settle down.

As well that time of day 3am to 5am is classical time for meditation the Brahamcharya hour, it's when the planets energy is at it's stillest and you can still the mind most successfully.

Last point is really learn yoga from some one you trust who has a lot of experience.

Books are great as reference but not for learning the core of your practise.

Muktibodha
Posted 2007-09-04 4:39 AM (#95596 - in reply to #93815)

I would like to re-iterate what eveyone else has said. Yoga books are there to add to your knowledge once you have a basic understanding of the process. You have definitely jumped in the deep end with Hatha Yoga Pradipika. Try a simpler book like the one I published with Trafford, it is also available with Amazon, called "Energy , the Spark of Life and Universal Goddess, a book about Yoga & Personal Growth for Men & Women". And find a teacher that suits your needs. Therefore, you need to know what you want to attain from practising Yoga from a specific teacher. As you practise your personal understanding of yourself and Yoga will expand. You may need another teacher down the track to fulfill those needs, however, reading will clarify and deepen your experience. I hope everyone's input has given you greater clarity on the subject.

Posted 2007-09-04 12:46 PM (#95624 - in reply to #93815)

The H.Y.P. is only one of many books illustrating the philosophy and history of yoga.
I am not certain that by itself it is "the" book to use for yoga practice in the 21st century. In fact for some, depending on the style or nature of their practice, this book has very little relevance at all (other than to know of it and its basic premise).

Your basic question at the end of your paragraph; "should I continue", I would answer like this:
Do continue rather than wait for a season. However consider not using the HYP as the source for your practice. You do not state your background so I do not know if you've been practicing for two decades or two weeks. If it is the latter then consider a simple review of the Yamas and Niyamas from Patannjali's Yoga Sutras. Begin to live those, one at a time for 21 straight days. Once you've assimilated all ten, move on to the Kleshas.

In the meantime if it is asana practice you are attracted to, then consider taking classes from a local teacher with a deep history of training who continues said training and understands the vast nature of Yoga itself.

calle real - 2007-08-08 7:01 PM

I am reading a translated version of Hatha Yoga Pradipika by Swami Muktibodhananda. In chapter 2 verse 11 it is metioned that there are seasonal recomendations of when to begin praciticing. It refers to the Gherand Samhita saying, "One should not begin the practice of yoga in these seasons, viz. hemant 'early winter', shishira 'late winter', grisma 'summer', and varsha 'monsoon. If practiced, yoga causes sickness." It is metioned that fall and spring is the best time to start. Has anybody heard of or can anyone explain the reason behind this? I started practicing the asanas in this book over a week ago and for the past couple of nights I've been waking up at 3 or 4 am and can't fall back asleep for an hour or so. I don't feel naseua or anything so should I continue to practice or wait to the fall to begin?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)