YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Vira II
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

susbarb1
Posted 2007-08-10 7:38 AM (#93902)
Subject: Vira II

I have a problem with my hamstring right behind my knee or a little above. I am trying to pin point the poses that aggravates it and it looks like Triangle and Vira II. Sometimes I wish i could snip it to release it. (JUST A JOKE)

Also, during a deep lunge when I turn roll the foot out to open the hip joint, I catch my hamstring. It takes some careful manuvering not to do this, although I haven't quite figured out what I am doing wrong. The instructor did position me but I can't seem to remember what she did.

Any suggestions?

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2007-08-10 10:06 AM (#93913 - in reply to #93902)
Subject: RE: Vira II

Trikonasana front leg or back?
Virabhadrasana II front leg or back?

Relative to lunges when the hip is in flexion and weight-bearing, as it is in the "deep lunge" you mention, externally rotating the hip ...well it is simply not something we do in our practice/system/lineage. So on that point it is best to ask those transmitting the yoga to you.
susbarb1
Posted 2007-08-16 4:25 PM (#94273 - in reply to #93902)

Always my right leg. Straight in Trik or bent in Vira II.

No problem in Vira I.

My R hip is very very tight.

Nick
Posted 2007-08-17 4:29 AM (#94286 - in reply to #94273)

Hi Susan,
So I owuld guess the hamstring problem comes when you practice either of these postures to the right? So it's the front leg?
This is a bit tricky to answer because the knee actions in both are different-at least, to a certain extent. In triangle, the problem you describe is often a result of knee hyper-extension-if this is the case, you will feel most of your weight being on the heel of that foot, and you may also be able to lift the front of the foot up off the floor-try this before you go in to the posture, when you are still upright. Sometimes, I'll bend my right knee, squeeze my toes slightly, and this presses the foot in to the floor, then, I'll pull my torso to face forwards (i.e. twist away from the right side), and straighten my knee, but keep the foot planted-you will feel the foot try to pull away from the floor, so that you weight will be distributed along the outside and back of the foot-don't let this happen. Then when you go into the pose, try to maintain this foot position-you will feel the muscles of the right leg are much more active, rather than merely accomplishing a stretch in the hamstrings. Hope that helps.

Take care
Nick
susbarb1
Posted 2007-08-17 7:47 AM (#94293 - in reply to #93902)

Excellent information Nick! I will put it to use today and see what happens. Thank ypu so much.

I am attending a fundamentals class with an Ashtanga trained teacher who also does Tai massage. She has been incredible. It is like learning yoga all over again! She deconstructs every pose down to individual vertabrae if necessary.

Now I know the difference between an instructor and a teacher.

susbarb1
Posted 2007-08-19 2:43 PM (#94453 - in reply to #93902)

Update-seems my trikonasana is a really just a "bad knee pose"

I do not have the necessary hip rotation for the range I am trying to do.My arm should be on my thigh!-not to the ankle. I hyper extend the knee and force the whole body.

What a relief to know what I was doing wrong. And I am SO okay with it!!

Posted 2007-08-20 1:04 AM (#94470 - in reply to #93902)

So you've had to come up higher then?
It is quite critical to have the external rotation in the front leg (weight bearing) in Trikonasana.
Typically though it is the torso that colapses when students come down too far, and not the alignment of the knee, though that can happen too.

Sounds like you've had a chat with your instructor.
And all is well?
susbarb1
Posted 2007-08-20 6:53 AM (#94477 - in reply to #94470)

The knee follows the hip-and my right hip is much tighter

than my left. I understand what you are saying.

As a child I had severe inner pronation of my right foot.

Almost had to wear a braces-probably should have.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)