YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Knee *pop*
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> Injuries and rehabMessage format

davidv2.2
Posted 2007-08-14 7:01 PM (#94138)
Subject: Knee *pop*

Hello and thank you in advance to any that respond.

I would like to ask your experience with regards to knees, and if this my experience sounds familiar to something you've seen.

Yesterday evening, as asana practice was coming to an end, I came to sit (gently) in a half-lotus seating. After a minute, I adjusted my seating and got a popping sound in the joint in my knee, and a cold sensation there. Of course I assumed the worst and quietly finished my evening and got home.

Anyway, it's not sore but I feel a little unsteady when walking on it today. There's no discoloration or swelling either. So, I'm hoping it's something like cracking a big knuckle. Have you heard of something like this, or if it was you would you just assume the worst and stop practice for a while?

Thanks!

*edit*
Ah, just saw the "Horrible crunching sound" thread. Sorry for the duplicated issue (MODs, feel free to remove this if you want)

Edited by davidv2.2 2007-08-14 7:20 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Nick
Posted 2007-08-15 1:14 AM (#94148 - in reply to #94138)
Subject: RE: Knee *pop*

Hi David,
Assuming the knee feels completely ok after a few days, probably no lasting damage done-is the discomfort on the medial, or lateral, side of the knee?

Nick
davidv2.2
Posted 2007-08-15 6:58 AM (#94155 - in reply to #94148)

Hi Nick, thanks for the reply. When it occured, I recall it feeling like at least three little pops, in the middle area and on the outer side (lateral). Yesterday, that was area I felt while walking. Today there is no discomfort while walking, but if I kneel all the way down I feel a mild discomfort all the way across the knee joint.
Nick
Posted 2007-08-15 12:27 PM (#94188 - in reply to #94155)

Hi David,
Well, that points to a range of tissues being put under stress-there's no single tissue that spans the areas of the knee which you describe-the question is, will the stress result in injury, or will the tissues quickly repair? There's been quite a lot of discussion on this board about the aberrant effects of lotus on people's knees-you might want to do a search on this site. I've been through knee anatomy here a few times.
The difficulty with lotus is that for it to be safe, you have to learn how to externally rotate the tibia (shinbone). Too many people bend the knee, and allow the knee to internally rotate, so that too much stress is put on the knee ligaments and cartilage. To emphasize, see how most people grab the foot and pull on it to haul the lower leg into place-this internally rotates the knee, so that the various ligaments are over-stretched.
In common with most other yoga postures, we have to learn how to engage the muscles of the knee, so that support of the joint is active, not passive, as it would be if you were just sitting there without any action going on in the knee muscles. This is difficult to ensure in lotus, because the legs are in an awkward position, for most people.

Nick
davidv2.2
Posted 2007-08-15 1:16 PM (#94190 - in reply to #94188)

I think I see where I went wrong now. When I shifted my seat, I relaxed and my knee joint let go. It will be a while before I try again, but next time I'll not only be gentle, I'll ask for instruction first.

Thanks again

Edited by davidv2.2 2007-08-15 1:17 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)