YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Depth v. Breadth
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

GreenJello
Posted 2007-08-14 8:41 PM (#94141)
Subject: Depth v. Breadth

Okay, maybe I just need to find some new sources of information, but does it seem like most of the stuff on the internet is pretty shallow? I'm talking about spiritual resources in general, not just yoga. It seems like I keep coming across tons of beginner articles, and very few advanced pieces. So it seems like there's a great deal of breadth, but not a lot of depth to it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-08-14 10:51 PM (#94143 - in reply to #94141)
Subject: RE: Depth v. Breadth

That is not exactly true. The shallow breadth you are talking about is quite deep for the majority Internet users.

GreenJello - 2007-08-14 8:41 PM

Okay, maybe I just need to find some new sources of information, but does it seem like most of the stuff on the internet is pretty shallow? I'm talking about spiritual resources in general, not just yoga. It seems like I keep coming across tons of beginner articles, and very few advanced pieces. So it seems like there's a great deal of breadth, but not a lot of depth to it.
Nick
Posted 2007-08-15 1:16 AM (#94149 - in reply to #94143)

Hi GJ,
I've always gone for books for this kind of depth-internet articles simply cannot compare.

Nick
belle vie
Posted 2007-08-15 6:48 AM (#94154 - in reply to #94141)

Veteran

Here, here Nick. I could not agree more with what you say about books. Those internet sound bites create too many instant experts.
iandicker
Posted 2007-08-15 7:19 AM (#94156 - in reply to #94154)

I've found too that I get more from books. Problem is I don't take everything in reading from a screen. Try reading one of Nick's posts from the forum (a long one with lots of anatomy in it) and then print it out and read it again. You'll be amazed how much you missed. I guess there's enough depth out there but you have to work to find it and then put in the work to read it.

Ian
tourist
Posted 2007-08-15 10:19 AM (#94175 - in reply to #94156)

Expert Yogi

Neel - that was very cynical!

I have found that, in other subjects (some of the sewing advice I have attempted to read) when I did find in-depth pieces online I was completely unable to follow it. My inner voice said, "you need a teacher for this!" So I asked bstqltmkr as well as some real life gurus, just as we advise yoga students to do.
GreenJello
Posted 2007-08-15 1:31 PM (#94191 - in reply to #94143)

kulkarnn - 2007-08-14 10:51 PM

That is not exactly true. The shallow breadth you are talking about is quite deep for the majority Internet users.

True, however for me this is not the case. (Insert massive ego pumping...)

I've always gone for books for this kind of depth-internet articles simply cannot compare.

True. So I went to Barnes and Noble last night for that very reason. It seemed to me that a lot of the books were really just info-tainment, rather than having any real deep value. So I guess it's time for another "What are you reading?" thread.

My inner voice said, "you need a teacher for this!" So I asked bstqltmkr as well as some real life gurus, just as we advise yoga students to do.

Excellent point, however I've kinda gotten to this point in my life where I'm a bit feed up with taking or giving advice. I also feel like I've exhausted the local teaching pool, I've taken a classes from just about everybody local, and talked to most of the rest.
bstqltmkr
Posted 2007-08-15 2:09 PM (#94195 - in reply to #94141)

I'm having trouble staying motivated in asana practice, I know I need a teacher before I can go any farther. I think it will happen for me. I'm optimistic.

When I was learning to sew, I happened to brag to my aunt who had major skills. "Sewing is easy", I said, and she cut me off. "There's always more to learn, that doesn't make it easy", she said. Of course it can be easy, but I always enjoyed challenging myself and learning new things. I learned how to knit, crochet, cook, etc. from books. I love books. But for asanas, I can't learn much more without a good teacher, I know that now. I'm just trying to stay motivated and practice where I am until the day comes.

Green Jello, maybe you need one of those intesive retreats and immerse yourself? Just an idea, it's not advise.

Shelly

Edited by bstqltmkr 2007-08-15 2:18 PM
Nick
Posted 2007-08-15 6:26 PM (#94219 - in reply to #94191)

Hi GJ,
I just had a look at barnes and noble, and I agree with you-it's paltry. When i started out studying this kind of stuff, I was lucky enough to live in Oxford, which has a mixture of love for academia, or a thirst for knowledge, and an huge interest in yoga. So I had Blackwells, a bookshop the size of a huge library, and this one here:

http://www.innerbookshop.com/

Which might offer an on-line ordering service-or it might give yuo ideas about where to look in the states-I'm sure there must be a few diehard bookshop owners over there-but I've only seen one other in England like it. Actually, the bookshop owner was what made it-he was so socially inept, and so in to books, that it was always a pleasure to visit. I'm not sure if it was pleasant because he realized I was socially inept, or because I love books, but there you go I you are ever in Oxford take a look-but it's bigger now and not so good. Blackwells also do an excellent on-line service-this is a city with the Bodleian library, which is just the most amazing thing you will never get to look inside of-apparently there are books in there with litltle canalsrunning around the bookcases, to keep the moisture up so the books don't disintegrate. .
So I think that you are looking in places that are too commercial-go for more esoteric, or incredibly academic-they are often after the same thing, anyway

Nick
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-08-15 6:40 PM (#94222 - in reply to #94141)

Darling GJ:
What topics you want to read on? bstqltmkr: You are an artist and you should not find easy to remain motivated. You should be dedicated. I can not understand one thing: People in USA travel long distances and almost each week for jobs, making bread and butter. Why can not they travel for some learning, once in a while?

Posted 2007-08-16 10:18 AM (#94253 - in reply to #94141)

part of the reason why there is so much "beginner stuff" is because there are so many beginners and so few advanced practitioners.

also, it's hard to read a text online. have you ever noticed? i mean, Georg Fuerstien is awesome, but what if the whole book was online? wow--way too much to sit and read like that. much better as a book.
GreenJello
Posted 2007-08-16 11:34 AM (#94258 - in reply to #94253)

zoebird - 2007-08-16 10:18 AM

part of the reason why there is so much "beginner stuff" is because there are so many beginners and so few advanced practitioners.

Yeah, and they all want to spout off with what little they do know....

also, it's hard to read a text online. have you ever noticed? i mean, Georg Fuerstien is awesome, but what if the whole book was online? wow--way too much to sit and read like that. much better as a book.

doesn't really bother me, maybe because I'd used to it. Having books is nice for taking anywhere, but other than that I don't see a big advantage to them.

EDIT: Neel, I started another thread on stuff I was interested in reading.

Edited by GreenJello 2007-08-16 11:35 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)