YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corporate Teaching
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

Bernadette
Posted 2007-08-17 12:39 PM (#94315)
Subject: Corporate Teaching

Hi, I have starting teaching and would like to branch out into the corporate world. Can anyone give me some advice on how they charge corporations? Do you charge a flat fee for an hour? Any feedback would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks much
Top of the page Bottom of the page
TampaEric
Posted 2007-08-17 1:09 PM (#94316 - in reply to #94315)
Subject: RE: Corporate Teaching

I used to do a few corporate classes when I first started.

They paid me for each class. I would get 45 per hour no matter who showed up. I would try to get at least $50 an hour. If they are a corporation, they can afford to pay more.

Posted 2007-08-17 2:00 PM (#94320 - in reply to #94315)

Hello Bernadette.

the answer to your question is up to each individual business owner. That means you.
However I can tell you that in some of these situations I've been involved with the "company" allows employees to arrange yoga but does not supplement it fiscally. In those cases the individual student brings in a check or case for $10 and leaves it for the teacher. In that way you earn $50 for five students, $70 for seven and so on.

Other coporations split costs and I suppose some pay it out in full as a "gift" to the employees but I think this is less common.
tmarques
Posted 2007-08-17 5:55 PM (#94337 - in reply to #94315)

Eric and Purna, just curious -

are the students supposed to bring their own mats and - assuming you use them - props? It seems impractical for the instructor to haul 10 mats around (let alone blocks and straps), but requiring that students bring their own, when many probably don't practice regularly, might be a turn off for them.
tourist
Posted 2007-08-17 6:14 PM (#94339 - in reply to #94337)

Expert Yogi

TM - my guess is that the situations are highly individual. Some companies may provide space, mats and even pay the teacher. But since the average company only begrudgingly gives out bathroom breaks and holiday time (ok, I am having issues with my work and holiday time right now, I confess ) my bet is that either students bring their own or you bring them or a combination. My teacher used to carry props around on a luggage trolley, but things like mats are so easy to get now, a lot of people have their own. Honestly, when I started we had to special order them, and that was only ten years ago or so. When I saw mats in WalMart, I knew yoga had gone mainstream!
TampaEric
Posted 2007-08-17 8:46 PM (#94347 - in reply to #94337)

I guess if you know what surface (carpeting) that is in the room, you could ask them to bring beach towels or a yoga mat. Or ask if they have towel service?

They brought their own mats, but I think they had a gym at the office somewhere.

I think most corporations are looking for restorative postures, so keep that in mind...you won't need to worry as much about sliding on sweaty mats or floors.

I practice on my carpet floors at home sometimes. But yea, a towel or mat would be nice.

Posted 2007-08-17 10:05 PM (#94349 - in reply to #94315)

when i taught in a corporate setting, it was on industrial carpet, in an area next to a block of cubicles, through which people walked. it was pretty funny.

people brought their own mats. since the business wanted the students to pay for classes, i did 8 week sessions, with a limit of 10 students and a minimum of 5 students to run the class. each student paid $10 and brought their own mats.

we discovered that having class after work (5 pm) was better than doing it at lunch.

some corporations offer gym facilities, and these gyms have a rather large staff. these facilities run like any gym, really, and most teachers get paid $30 to $50 per class. It's not a bad deal. And honestly, it's really quite fun and you can 'pick' your schedule a bit. So, nice for me is that i can teach at 1:30 to 2:30 instead of at 10 am or 5 pm--since those times in my schedule are generally full. it's quite nice honestly.

that reminds me, i need to email that guy.

Posted 2007-08-18 10:25 PM (#94412 - in reply to #94337)

The couple of places where I have done this sort of thing, "yes" the students do bring their own mat but "no" they do not bring other props. I believe the props, and there are a few, are purchased from the wellness budget of the company. Though once again I can not say for sure.

Blocks and straps are pretty common. Some places have more.

I would not tote around mats for student use.
To me it is not a grand request to ask students to take their practice seriously enough to spend $20 on a mat, keep it clean, and bring it to and from class. Those not willinging to do that may not care if they are taking "yoga" or not. It is very tough to teach a student who is appathetic.

tmarques - 2007-08-17 2:55 PM

Eric and Purna, just curious -

are the students supposed to bring their own mats and - assuming you use them - props? It seems impractical for the instructor to haul 10 mats around (let alone blocks and straps), but requiring that students bring their own, when many probably don't practice regularly, might be a turn off for them.

Edited by purnayoga 2007-08-18 10:27 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)