YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

nauli
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

raquel
Posted 2007-08-18 2:46 AM (#94358)
Subject: nauli

Recently I decided to get back into my cleansing practices. So I was doing neti, and then uddiyana bandha and was pleasantly surprised when I tried doing the version were the rectus relaxes down (I couldnt do it last year) I was wondering if anyone practices nauli, and if you do can you give me some advice on how to do it, ive tried pressing my hands alternatively onto my thigh. Is it done with the rectus down or up?
Thanx
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Nick
Posted 2007-08-18 9:05 AM (#94362 - in reply to #94358)
Subject: RE: nauli

raquel - 2007-08-18 7:46 AM

Recently I decided to get back into my cleansing practices. So I was doing neti, and then uddiyana bandha and was pleasantly surprised when I tried doing the version were the rectus relaxes down (I couldnt do it last year) I was wondering if anyone practices nauli, and if you do can you give me some advice on how to do it, ive tried pressing my hands alternatively onto my thigh. Is it done with the rectus down or up?
Thanx

Hi Raquel,
I might have to get technical here When you practice nauli, you are contracting the rectus muscles, as well as the three abdominal muscles either side of it-the three lateral muscles are what pulls the navel back towards the spine, hollowing the abdomen, and the rectus abdominus contracts to produce the distinctive pillar-then it's a case of alternately contracting and relaxing each side (it's not one muscle, it's two, either side of the mid-line) to produce the swirling effect.
I'll try to go through the how-to's later on

Nick
raquel
Posted 2007-08-18 9:14 AM (#94364 - in reply to #94358)

Nick,
Thanks not quite sure what you mean is the rectus contracting out (in the pillar) or hollowed back with the transverse?

I can make the rectus move in and out now too whilst the transverse is still hollowed , feels very weird
Nick
Posted 2007-08-18 9:43 AM (#94366 - in reply to #94364)

Hi Raquel,
Well, you know the exercise before nauli, that in Astanga we call uddiyana bandha, or at least in my day we did . What is happening in this exercise is that the lateral abdominal muscles are contracting, and rectus abdominus is relaxed-there's no two ways about it, because if rectus abdominus contracts, then the pillar forms. So what you are doing when you make the rectus move in and out is alternate contraction and relaxation of rectus abdominus with a constant contraction of the lateral abdominal muscles. It's much easier to see this if you have a diagram.

Nick
SCThornley
Posted 2007-08-18 11:11 AM (#94374 - in reply to #94358)

I've been doing this for about 17 years, on a regular daily basis.

It's these 'secret' practices that will really empty any and all stuff in your system when you go to evacuate.

Just keep trying and doing and practicing and you'll 'get it'.

Become aware of what these things do, especially when you go to the bathroom, that's my advice, because that's where I've found the most use for these practices.

jonnie
Posted 2007-08-18 12:25 PM (#94382 - in reply to #94358)

Yes, my teacher made me practise uddiyana bandha (the full version, not the Ashtanga Vinyasa version) for about five months before teaching me nauli.

Even after I was taught it, it just wouldn't come. I practised daily for about a month and then it just happened. Once I had the initial control, it was just a case of refining.

I found that applying pressure with my hands to my thighs on the side that I was working also helped initially.

I no longer do any of the shatkarmas/kriyas daily.

Jonathon
Nick
Posted 2007-08-18 1:30 PM (#94389 - in reply to #94382)

Hi there,
Just to add my own experience, I have found that the practice of both shatkarma has benefited me greatly over the years. Now, I think they are a practice in their own right-before, I struggled to understand their relevance.
What's really nice for me to see, is that widespread scientific evidence points to the benefits of learning the control of all four abdominal muscles (each side), either individually, or in conjunction, to achieve a better position of the spine, and improved whole body movement.
For back pain patients, it is recommended that the transversus abdominus muscle is rehabilitated-for an athlete seeking reurn to play after injury, a bracing of all the abdominal muscles is recommended. between these two points, lie all the contractions that are possible in the formation of bandha.
Sorry, just started writing, couldn't stop

Nick
raquel
Posted 2007-08-19 5:06 AM (#94416 - in reply to #94358)

Yes I find it very energising and it does help with bodily functions. I can do an excellent uddiyana, and was surprised when without trying the rectus came down, this is what made me think maybe I was ready for more advanced work.
I teach Pilates as well, we do teach the scoop and abdominal bracing, its similar to the bandhas, but it works more with applying contraction to the core muscles, (this is the most important aspect) in yoga it works more with the breath, the modified uddiyana is held as much as comfortably possible through out inhalation and exhalation, in Pilates the rib cage moves in and out with breath.

Has anyone tried dauti?
jonnie
Posted 2007-08-19 7:01 AM (#94419 - in reply to #94358)

Dhauti simply means 'internal cleanse' and there are over ten different variations.

I have practised most of them at one time, though now no longer use any of them in their traditional form. In this age I don't think that they are so relevant anymore.

I'm a strict vegetarian and am very careful with what I put in my body in the first place. Obviously I brush my teeth regularly and I use a tongue cleaner daily and every two months or so, I'll use ear candles.

Jonathon

bstqltmkr
Posted 2007-08-19 9:45 AM (#94429 - in reply to #94358)

I had my own, and my daughter's ears candled recently. It was a great experience, and I would recommend it to anyone with wax in their ears. My younger girl gets build up regularly, and I'm going to keep us all up with it, it will definately help her. The woman who does our ears is really good.

Jonathan, do you do your own?
jonnie
Posted 2007-08-19 11:13 AM (#94438 - in reply to #94358)

Hi shelly,

I had planned to, but found it difficult to relax and hold the candle (and stop worrying that I'd burn my hair off ), so now my wife does it for me.

It's a dirty job but someone's got to do it

Jonathon
bstqltmkr
Posted 2007-08-20 8:13 AM (#94480 - in reply to #94358)

I don't think I would try it either, actually I was worried about you.
raquel
Posted 2007-08-20 8:54 AM (#94484 - in reply to #94358)

I was talking about vastyra dauti the cloth cleansing practice, I wouldnt mind trying it
jonnie
Posted 2007-08-20 9:54 AM (#94496 - in reply to #94484)

Swallowing all that cloth was definately one of the most disgusting thing I have done. It was horrible

I felt fine before, terrible while doing it and exactly the same afterwards. Personally, I won't be repeating it

Even worse though, was swallowing all the salt water. that was REALLY REALLY disgusting...

Jonathon
Orbilia
Posted 2007-08-20 10:11 AM (#94501 - in reply to #94496)

Whenever I read about some of the more extreme forms of kriya, I can't help wondering if it was ever meant to be taken seriously.

I can see it now, the guru trying to ram knowledge and understanding into the dense heads of his young charges and getting increasingly irritated by their lack of attention. Eventually the guru resorts to saying something outrageous to check if they're even listening. Unfortunately one such charge catches the end of the lecture and mindlessly writes it down hoping that his mentor hasn't noticed him dozing in class....

the rest being history as they say

Fee
raquel
Posted 2007-08-20 1:42 PM (#94537 - in reply to #94358)

the elephant stomach cleansing must be one,"vomiting things in the stomach by moving apana into the throat....." urrgghh

Jonnie ive fallen into the sea many times when water skiing and the salt is horrendous, in fact three dunks and ive had enough, so I think ill be giving that one a miss
jonnie
Posted 2007-08-20 2:57 PM (#94546 - in reply to #94358)

Very wise

I do think that many of the kriyas/shatkarmas are unnecessary now though.

The body has it's own blue print of perfect health and when it is out of balance it knows how to cleanse itself.

If you want to deepen your understanding of health from a Yogic perspective, then I recommend studying Neel's 'Health and Yoga Aphorisms'.

Jonathon
raquel
Posted 2007-08-21 2:08 AM (#94591 - in reply to #94358)

Thanx I will look into that on neels web site.

I do think most of the shatkarmas are not needed today, but I think uddiyana bandha is still a good daily practice practice and neti, I think the effects are still beneficial, and I enjoy freaking my mates out with it too its a good party trick .
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)