YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Practice in the dark...
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

tourist
Posted 2007-08-18 6:23 PM (#94404)
Subject: Practice in the dark...

Expert Yogi

I was going to title this "dark practices" but it sounded a bit to witch-crafty!

So in the summer it is warm enough for me to practice in my studio without heating it. It is a ground floor basement but only has one window that really lets in much light. Even though it has been cloudy the past couple of days, I have not been able to bring myself to turn on the lights and consequently have practiced in a sort of dusk level of darkness. I have wondered why this is? I don't believe I am quite so lazy as to not want to raise an arm to flick the switch as I walk in the room, not convinced it has to do with too much brightness since the whole room in on a dimmer (installed by yours truly, she says proudly...) and although I am Scot's-Canadian and a Virgo, I don't believe my level of parsimony would lead me to be that keen to save a penny. So....what then? The closest I can figure is that there is just a) no real reason to turn on the lights. I can see fine. or b) I prefer natural light, even a dearth of it by modern standards, for practice. Any comments?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tubeseeker
Posted 2007-08-18 9:19 PM (#94409 - in reply to #94404)
Subject: RE: Practice in the dark...

personally I like option A and B. when I do yoga I do it with my eyes closed so my focus remains on myself and I dont let my mind get stimulated by observing what is around me in my room. yoga is about getting in touch with your natural self, and getting in touch with nature. By leaving the light off you are leaving off an unatural thing, if you find you need more light practice outside if you can find a place or light a candle, fire is still more natural then a light bulb I do yoga in the moring when it is still dark, my sun salutations start about 30 minutes before the sun rises, hopefully one day I will do them outside so I can become more in touch with nature. I open a window when I am doing it and I can hear the crickets and the birds singing their beautiful songs. Enjoy the journey
seeker
tourist
Posted 2007-08-19 10:47 AM (#94433 - in reply to #94409)
Subject: RE: Practice in the dark...

Expert Yogi

the nature thing sounds good until I put the washer and dryer on. Since I am right beside the laundry room, it only makes sense...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)