YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Yoga books - any worthwhile?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

granite_grrl
Posted 2007-08-20 12:01 PM (#94526)
Subject: Yoga books - any worthwhile?

I'm talking about the "instructional" books for doing yoga at home. Now I wouldn't want to start getting books to replace a good instructor, but maybe to help motivate me and perhaps help me keep in mind the finer points of some of the poses (I have basically taken the summer off from classes, and I could really need a dose of motivation now!).

I was looking around at a discount book store in town. The only book that interested me at all was one by Rodney Lee. It had short yoga practice segments in it that I thought might motivate me along if I added them to my home practice. Most of the other books really wern't in depth and I didn't find they gave many sugestions beyond Sun Salutation A and B.

Anyone find some yoga books that have motivated them, helped them with their home practice? I'm curious to see what other's experiances have been using books.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2007-08-20 1:26 PM (#94533 - in reply to #94526)
Subject: RE: Yoga books - any worthwhil

my favorite yoga book--that i literally never leave home without-- is Light on Yoga by Iyengar.

the newer printing of it is a huge coffee table sized book, but earlier printings are like regular reading paperback books.

the book isn't one of those cover-to-cover reads. it's so dense, you have to take it in pieces. luckily, it is well built for that.

i suggest that all of my students buy this book, and then i teach them how to use it. the best use is to simply pick a posture from the pictures, find the instructions that go with that picture (sometimes plates are 1-2 pages away from the instructions), and then read those instructions, look at the photo, and then read the instruction step-by-step while flipping back to the photo to see each step in the photo, and then finally practice using the instructions.

it's a great book. i drag it all over the world with me when i travel; i take it to every class that i go to or teach. i just love this book.

it's the only book i return to on a regular basis--over and over and over again.
jonnie
Posted 2007-08-20 2:43 PM (#94544 - in reply to #94526)
Subject: RE: Yoga books - any worthwhile?

ditto
Ravi
Posted 2007-08-20 3:18 PM (#94550 - in reply to #94526)

"The Complete Illustrated Book of Yoga" by Swami Vishnu-Devananda.......

I always find something new and inspiring when I open it up from time to time.......... you can find it on Amazon.com used for cheap!

Mucho Metta,

Ravi

jonnie
Posted 2007-08-20 3:47 PM (#94555 - in reply to #94526)

Yes, that's another 'classic' as well.
Dotpixels
Posted 2007-08-20 6:20 PM (#94567 - in reply to #94526)

My first and most referenced book is "Power Yoga" by Beryl Bender Birch. It's user friendly and very clear in explaining form and alignment, and showing modifications for different levels of practitioners.
okidoll
Posted 2007-08-30 10:06 AM (#95362 - in reply to #94526)

I have one of Rodney's -- Moving Towards Balance

I also have one that is co authored by Patricia Walden - The Woman's Book of Yoga and Health

and the one I really use most right now by Baron Baptiste- Journey Into Power

Edited by okidoll 2007-08-30 10:07 AM

Posted 2007-08-30 12:50 PM (#95395 - in reply to #94526)

My favorite recommendation for a simple home practice is Yoga for your life by Margaret Pierce. Simple exercises. Starts with short routines. The routines build. The book also includes some simple breathing exercises.

Have you tried the local library? My library has tons of books, videos, and dvd's.

Vicki
granite_grrl
Posted 2007-09-04 9:57 AM (#95608 - in reply to #95395)

victw - 2007-08-30 12:50 PM

My favorite recommendation for a simple home practice is Yoga for your life by Margaret Pierce. Simple exercises. Starts with short routines. The routines build. The book also includes some simple breathing exercises.

Have you tried the local library? My library has tons of books, videos, and dvd's.

Vicki

Now that is a great idea! So simple a thing to try, silly that I didn't think of it before.

As for the rest of the books, I may order one or two next time I place an order with Amazon. Thanks!
Paul Tassopulos
Posted 2007-09-11 12:15 AM (#96046 - in reply to #94526)

wow......this site is it!

really high quality

Thanks for the info, the connection, and the inspiration.

I'm putting a link to this site on my personal site http://www.tassopulosyoga.com ,
and recommending it to all my friends.

Thanks.

Paul Tassopulos

Edited by Paul Tassopulos 2007-09-11 12:17 AM
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-09-11 8:13 AM (#96056 - in reply to #94526)

granite_grrl - 2007-08-20 12:01 PM

Anyone find some yoga books that have motivated them, helped them with their home practice? I'm curious to see what other's experiances have been using books.

With a negligible exception, I found NO book good or useful in terms of my home practice. In 1985, I took 6 hours a day class from the great Respected BKS Iyengar Guruji for 5 months with no holiday. He gave me his book with Autograph as a gift. I almost never read it and gave it to Cyndiben as a gift. However, I took handwritten notes in his class of 4 pages. And, they served me for 10 years.

Before Guruji, I studied with another teacher in 1976. And, I still have handwritten notes of that time.

tubeseeker
Posted 2007-09-11 8:38 AM (#96058 - in reply to #94526)

Neel,
if you found NO book good or useful for your home practice then why did you take the time to write a book?

Posted 2007-09-11 9:01 AM (#96062 - in reply to #94526)

i think that neel is highlighting the difference between learning from a book verses learning from a teacher.

a teacher--and the experience of studying with a teacher--far surpasses any study from a book. this as been my experience as well, to be honest. most of how i practice comes from my teachers--not from books.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-09-11 9:48 AM (#96067 - in reply to #96058)

Darling Tube:
I have NO book on Home Practice. If I wrote it, please show it to me!!!

tubeseeker - 2007-09-11 8:38 AM

Neel,
if you found NO book good or useful for your home practice then why did you take the time to write a book?
tubeseeker
Posted 2007-09-11 11:55 AM (#96076 - in reply to #94526)

well since yoga encompases life 24/7/365
and yoga is union which you know
you wrote a book on health which I am sure you would agree people should practice at home, or is the book on health not considered a yoga book with nothing inspirational?

kulkarnn
Posted 2007-09-11 1:56 PM (#96080 - in reply to #96076)

Hey Tube: Now, you started this your old type of discussion again. My Health and Yoga Aphorisms book is a classical Yoga work of 21st century. It contains 21 Aphorisms which encompasses the entire essential knowledge of Health and Yoga in a contemporary way. To understand what I meant in those aphorisms, I have given a commentary. And, additionally, a Sanskrit Scholar translated my work in Sanskrit Verses. So, there is a CD which chants the Sanskrit Verses for the one who wish to memorize, chant and contemplate.

It is not a HOME Practice manual where it says: Start getting up at 4 a.m. and then later start getting up at 3 a.m. , etc. And, then continue this for 6 months to reach Spiritual Liberation.

Of course, if one reads any book, they can form whatever practice they want at home. But, my book is not written for Home Practice. It is written for knowledge and practice anywhere and everywhere and anyhow and by anyone, and for anybody who does NOT want to practice as well.

tubeseeker - 2007-09-11 11:55 AM

well since yoga encompases life 24/7/365
and yoga is union which you know
you wrote a book on health which I am sure you would agree people should practice at home, or is the book on health not considered a yoga book with nothing inspirational?

fechter03
Posted 2007-09-11 11:51 PM (#96098 - in reply to #96056)

Extreme Veteran

kulkarnn - 2007-09-11 8:13 AM

granite_grrl - 2007-08-20 12:01 PM

With a negligible exception, I found NO book good or useful in terms of my home practice. In 1985, I took 6 hours a day class from the great Respected BKS Iyengar Guruji for 5 months with no holiday. He gave me his book with Autograph as a gift. I almost never read it and gave it to Cyndiben as a gift. However, I took handwritten notes in his class of 4 pages. And, they served me for 10 years.

Before Guruji, I studied with another teacher in 1976. And, I still have handwritten notes of that time.

Neel,

any way i could get a small teeny tiny glimpse of those 4 pages??
tubeseeker
Posted 2007-09-12 8:54 AM (#96109 - in reply to #94526)

Neel, would you rather have 100 followers or some who follow and some who challenge? You are a teacher so I expect more from you, I would not challenge a child the same way. I am not afraid to speak my mind to authoratative figures, the same way as I am not afraid to tell God how I feel either. Through challenge one grows. In the things I say to you go ahead and figure out what is invalid, but also figure out what is valid as well, instead of always listening to your own voice which at times may be the ego speaking
good luck in your search,
seeker
tubeseeker
Posted 2007-09-12 9:02 AM (#96110 - in reply to #94526)

Granitegirl
I found this book
The Sivananda Companion to Yoga: A Complete Guide to the Physical Postures, Breathing Exercises, Diet, Relaxation, and Meditation Techniques of Yoga

it has an outlined routine that you can follow. I wrote out a routine when looking at a chart that they have in there and a chart in another book. It helps to show in what order postures could be done. I did not find the book perfect, but I did find it useful
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-09-12 9:46 AM (#96114 - in reply to #96098)

Let me see what I can do. It may be in my mother tongue. Give me your email id.

fechter03 - 2007-09-11 11:51 PM
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-09-12 9:49 AM (#96115 - in reply to #96109)

hey Tube. I was only kidding. But, you follow whatever method you feel you are succeeding with.

I would neither hanker for Follower or Chanllengers. I feel that one should have a genuine question in terms of their obtaining knowledge. It should not have anything to do with following (unless an exception belief has been formed) or with challenging (unless there is some other motive in challenging over gaining knowledge).

Peace

tubeseeker - 2007-09-12 8:54 AM

Neel, would you rather have 100 followers or some who follow and some who challenge? You are a teacher so I expect more from you, I would not challenge a child the same way. I am not afraid to speak my mind to authoratative figures, the same way as I am not afraid to tell God how I feel either. Through challenge one grows. In the things I say to you go ahead and figure out what is invalid, but also figure out what is valid as well, instead of always listening to your own voice which at times may be the ego speaking
good luck in your search,
seeker
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-09-13 10:10 PM (#96205 - in reply to #96114)

Hey fechter: thanks for taking me 30 years ago. This is the first page of my first meeting with the respected late Pandit Balakrishna Sharma, in 1976.

kulkarnn - 2007-09-12 9:46 AM

(Sharma.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Sharma.jpg (62KB - 32 downloads)
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-09-13 10:18 PM (#96206 - in reply to #96114)

BKS pages 1, 2, 3

(BKS1003.jpg)

(BKS1004.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments BKS1003.jpg (31KB - 32 downloads)
Attachments BKS1004.jpg (98KB - 36 downloads)
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-09-13 10:24 PM (#96207 - in reply to #96114)

This is bigger than 100K.

Edited by kulkarnn 2007-09-13 10:28 PM
fechter03
Posted 2007-09-14 11:41 PM (#96286 - in reply to #94526)

Extreme Veteran

hey thanks Neel..
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)