YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Which Yoga is right for me?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

Vados Dia
Posted 2007-08-22 3:42 PM (#94775)
Subject: Which Yoga is right for me?

Hello everyone!
I'm a total novice when it comes to Yoga, but what little I've seen of it has grabbed my interest. In fact, I'm looking into taking some classes in the near future. I live in the suburbs of Montréal, and therefore have access to a wide variety of different Yoga styles. However, I know very little about the various forms and their particularities. I was hoping some of you fine folks could help steer me towards a class that would best suit my preferences.

Said preferences go as follows : I would like to study the style of Yoga that puts the most emphasis on advanced stretching (gradually, of course!), balance and strenght. In other words, I would prefer a more hardcore and physical style that would eventually allow me to bend into a pretzel (I'm used to hard workouts and stretching thanks to a few years of martial arts, and I'd like to find something along those lines in my Yoga).

I would also prefer classes that don't put too much (or any) focus on the ''spiritual'' side, if possible (I mean no offense to anyone here, it's just that I'm more of a materialist/skeptic type ). If that means going to a more modern/gym-like Yoga place, I don't mind.

I'm not looking for the name of a specific Yoga place (I'll look for that myself based on the information I get here), I just want to know which particular ''style'' of Yoga would best suit my requirements.
I'm looking forward to your advice, and thanks in advance!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Ravi
Posted 2007-08-22 4:15 PM (#94780 - in reply to #94775)
Subject: RE: Which Yoga is right for me?

I think you would enjoy a Bikram studio or Ashtanga

Bikram is a series of 26 postures in 42 degree celsius heated room.... if you like to sweat this is the place.... and if you travel it doesn't matter where you go all studios teach the same 26 postures..

Ashtanga is also a very physical discipline that requires a great deal of stanima and strength....... there are a total of 4 levels taught... the first two take many years to master before one can go any further.. many "men" are prone to take up this discipline due to the physical nature of it

link to a killer Ashtanga instructor in Montreal

http://www.sattvayogashala.com/aboutus.htm

link to a Bikram studio

http://www.bikramyogamtl.com/

which ever you choose good luck and keep us posted on how things go and what you decided was best for you!

Mucho Metta,

Ravi

Edited by Ravi 2007-08-22 4:17 PM

Posted 2007-08-22 6:54 PM (#94785 - in reply to #94780)

Try Astanga Yoga, Bikram Yoga, Power Yoga or a vigorous Vinyasa Flow class. Try them all. Your body will tell you which one is right for you. Make sure that the class time fits your schedule and the location is handy to either work or home as otherwise you probably won't continue. Although many people notice benefits right away, the real benefits of yoga happen over months and years, so you have to stick with it. (You probably already know this from your martial arts experience.)

Posted 2007-08-22 9:16 PM (#94791 - in reply to #94775)

Could you please clarify why you would bother with Yoga at all?
Stretching, strength, and balance can be achieved in many other ways, like gymnastics for example, without crossing your boundary lines. Pilates may also fit the bill as you've laid it out. In addition it would seem martial arts, which you are already familiar with, could offer such things...again without crossing your boundaries (hardcore, no spirituality, advanced stretching).

So what exactly is it about Yoga that has "grabbed" your interest???
tmarques
Posted 2007-08-22 10:55 PM (#94810 - in reply to #94791)

Purna, honest question - does it bother you as a teacher or as a yogin that anyone would go to a yoga class without being interested in the spiritual side of it?

I'm asking because I felt exactly like the original poster when I started. Without going into much detail, I hurt my knee cycling and had to stop it for a while, so yoga it was. I was mindful not to let the teachers realize I thought the chanting was the silliest thing I had ever participated in, but I'd still use the meditation time to plan my work day.

I'm far, far from enlightenment, but with time yoga did become much more to me than bringing my feet behind my neck. I wonder where I'd be today if I had been discouraged from starting yoga because I wasn't approaching it in a spiritual way.

I understand where you're coming from, but sometimes I think it's best not to overanalyze.

Posted 2007-08-23 1:12 AM (#94817 - in reply to #94791)

Yoga is different for every individual. That is the beauty and timelessness of it. There is no "right" way or "wrong" way (other than what damages the individual). Many of the "spiritual" practices advanced on this web site are both physically and psychologically dangeous. What one person considers "spiritual" another considers silly superstition. The point of Yoga is union. Union works on many levels. Let's not make Yoga another "fundamentalist" belief where we shun others because they view things from another angle. As far as I am concerned, the point of Yoga is to develop flexibility, strength, balance and openess; in our bodies, in our minds, and in our lives. What Patanjali et al had to say is only one of many viewpoints. Yoga is alive and growing and open to everyone or it is a dead, static belief system.
Orbilia
Posted 2007-08-23 6:07 AM (#94827 - in reply to #94817)

I echo what has already been said about which form. I would suggest that what ever form(s) you try, include Iyengar as well. This form is perhaps not the one you will be drawn to ultimately, however it does give a very strong grounding in how to perform the asanas (physical postures) which will stand you in good stead when you try faster paced, flow forms such as Astanga. Such a grounding will help prevent injury and ensure you get the most benefit as there is a difference in 'doing' the posture and 'working' the posture in each case. In fact, many asanas can be 'worked' or 'relaxed' depending on whether you are working out or trying to relax. Using the asana practise for relaxation and resting / healing the body is often referred to as 'restorative' in class descriptions. I know several 'hard-core' Ashtangis who take Iyengar classes as well as they consider them to be their yoga theory classes that enable them to enjoy their preferred form to the max.

Your question was well put however I too wonder what it is that draws you to yoga over other exercise forms and practices?

I originally started yoga for health reasons however I have since found it to be so much more than that and throughly enjoy the more 'spiritual' aspects such as pranayama (breathing techniques), visualisation, meditation, and chanting. These practises tend not to be 'religious' per se but do have great benefit on the mental aspects of health.

I would advise that you focus on the physical at first, then expend into pranayama as correct breathing makes some of the postures so much easier to perform (if nothing else :-) ).

Fee

Edited by Orbilia 2007-08-23 6:08 AM
jonnie
Posted 2007-08-23 6:42 AM (#94829 - in reply to #94775)

Here is what Sri K. pattabhi Jois says about the practise of Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga:

"Practising Yoga for the sake of one's health, a firm body or enjoyment is not the right approach.

Only the purification of the body, sense organs and mind, and the dedication of all actions and deeds to the Almighty is the true way".

Jonathon
raquel
Posted 2007-08-23 7:49 AM (#94836 - in reply to #94775)

I suppose we have to start somewere though and the physical is a good place to start, you can only begin to understand the true meaning of yoga when you have practiced and studied, when you are ready the spiritual side will become more important,Not everyone is spiritually inclined, especially younger people.
When I first started yoga I knew nothing about it, I too liked the feeling of stretching, strengthening and relaxing, which no other form of exercise can match, not even pilates gives the same effect. When I finish my pilates class, the clients get straight up and go, as with any other exercise class, when I finish my yoga class, everyone sits around for a few minutes after because they are so chilled, no other form of exercise gives this effect.

I would agree with everyone else try power,or ashtanga for a strong or bikram if you want a sweaty practice

Edited by raquel 2007-08-23 7:56 AM

Posted 2007-08-23 12:41 PM (#94861 - in reply to #94810)

Nope. I went to a Kundalini Class at an ashram (My first time) because someone asked me to. I had no interest in yoga and at that time it wasn't all that popular (as it is today).

My students come to class for different reasons. It is fine.
As Sai baba said, I give them what they want until they want what I have to give.

tmarques - 2007-08-22 7:55 PM

Purna, honest question - does it bother you as a teacher or as a yogin that anyone would go to a yoga class without being interested in the spiritual side of it?

Posted 2007-08-23 4:41 PM (#94878 - in reply to #94829)

I have heard that Sri K. Pattabhi Jois no longer practices Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga.

Edited by jimg 2007-08-23 4:51 PM
raquel
Posted 2007-08-24 1:42 AM (#94902 - in reply to #94775)

He probably doesnt need it any more,
souljourney108
Posted 2007-08-24 2:41 AM (#94910 - in reply to #94878)
Subject: RE: Which Yoga is right for me

jimg - 2007-08-24 6:41 AM

I have heard that Sri K. Pattabhi Jois no longer practices Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga.

He hasn't for a lone time. I was in Mysore in 1997 practicing with P Jois and he wasn't practicing then. He likes chocolate though.

To the original questioner... I think you got a great response from Ravi. It's good you are honest. Quite a spiritual quality. It's good to see you don't pretend to be "spiritual" and you know what you want.

Enjoy the journey,
Soul

slowpie6
Posted 2007-08-25 12:42 PM (#95013 - in reply to #94775)

Hi Vados Dia, and welcome! This isn't a very timely reply but perhaps you will read it nonetheless. I thought I might share my two cents since I happen to practice in Montreal myself.

Ravi has already pointed you in the right direction in my mind. I personally practice ashtanga at Sattva Yoga Shala. We are very priviledged in Montreal to have access to teachers of such amazing caliber as are available in the Ashtanga tradition.

I have also tried a class at the Bikram studio that Ravi linked to. I suppose that as far as Bikram studios go, it's a fine one. I personally don't find that style of practice to be compelling, but it would probably fit the bill for you in terms of a physical practice that does not involve any spirituality. I'm not very knowledgeable about Bikram, but I don't think there is ever attention given to spiritual development, though I am sure that a practitioner can find ways to make their own inner journey through that form of asana practice.

As for Iyengar, I did an extensive search for a studio or class in Montreal and the only one I found was a French studio somewhere east of St-Laurent. I speak French so I did go to a class, but did not find them to be very welcoming. I don't intend to go back. There is however a studio called United Yoga Montreal that is an ashtanga studio, however, the master of that studio (he doesn't teach regular classes, just occasional workshops though) is a former Iyengar master who left that tradition and took up ashtanga. It is my understanding that this studio teaches Ashtanga with some inspiration from Iyengar (i.e. more focus on alignment and use of props). That being said, one instructor at my studio does the same thing as he has two mentors (his father, and this former Iyengar master I mentionned).

If hot yoga sounds appealing to you, there is another option in Montreal called Moksha. I have not tried it though I have heard good things about it and I intend to check it out one day. I could be wrong, but it is my understanding that this is similar to Bikram but does not follow a strict series of 26 poses. They also offer dynamic classes in the heated rooms, which could be interesting or deadly, I don't know...

If cost is a concern, both hot yoga options are quite pricy, but they do offer a $20 unlimited first week so you can try it out before commiting to anything. I don't remember what membership fees were like at the Iyengar studio, but the first class rebate was still $25. Outrageous if you ask me.

There's no doubt that I'm biased, but I would recommend you try Ashtanga at Sattva Yoga Shala. The first trial class is $10. If you like it, you can buy either class packages or unlimited memberships. There is an incredible bargain deal for first time members, 3 months unlimited for $150. Ashtanga is a very physical practice, and if you are dedicated you will certainly become a pretzel over time, and a strong, gravity-defying one at that... BUT! It doesn't stop there. If you are interested in pursuing the spiritual aspects of yoga, Ashtanga (or at least my studio) makes that possible. The instructors there are dedicated to the spiritual path as well, but you will only glimpse hints of that in the classes, so you can choose to explore that when the time is right for you. I understand that you are NOT looking for that now, but perhaps keeping that option open for the future might be nice. Expect that there will be chanting, there will be more or less meditation depending on the instructor, there are altars and spiritual texts, and occasionnally there will be spiritual guidance given by the teacher during a led class. But no one will frown on you or turn you away if what you seek is exclusively the physical side of yoga. You will definitely find it here.

Good luck in your search for the right yoga for you. I hope you find a welcoming place that suits your needs.

sp
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)