YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sivananda, the true path
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

shalamOM
Posted 2007-08-24 12:29 AM (#94901)
Subject: Sivananda, the true path

I switched to sivananda and right away I started having incredibly profound experiences, maybe kundalini has been activated. After dabbling in ashtanga, kripalu, iyengar, anusara, and even kundalini I have finally found the true and real yoga tradition. This isn't just the right yoga for me, but for everyone. I am sure of this. Sivananda is rooted in actuality rather than in ego like the other traditions. The other traditions will not increase one's spiritual energetic vibrations and are basically a waste of time. They are only good for getting 'in shape' like aerobics or weight lifting. I doubt any followers of the other traditions have reached samadhi? Have you? If you've been doing yoga for many years and still have not had profound spiritual experiences (fleeting samadhi, kundalini rising, kundalini activity) then you must start to doubt your practice. Sivananda is the most complete and true yoga. Case closed.

Blesses, Jessica

Edited by shalamOM 2007-08-24 12:31 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jonnie
Posted 2007-08-24 1:51 AM (#94903 - in reply to #94901)
Subject: RE: Sivananda, the true path

shalamOM - 2007-08-24 8:29 AM

I doubt any followers of the other traditions have reached samadhi? Have you?

Have you?

Swami Sivananda was a very wise and tolerant man.

I hope that that you learn from his teachings.

Namaste,

Jonathon
souljourney108
Posted 2007-08-24 2:26 AM (#94906 - in reply to #94901)

Shalom Om...

I like your enthusiasm. I love Sivananda. I feel a connection with him somehow through books I've read and being in Rishikesh where he lived for a time.

Your question about samadhi experiences and Kundalini ...yes Kundalini has been activated a bit over 2 years ago. It was not because of Sivananda "style" yoga... I haven't been following a particular "style" but have been practicing Hatha yoga techniques such as asana, pranayam and some cleansing techniques.
And yes, samadhi experiences... the intense ones I remember were while in Vipassana meditation retreats (I've attended 5) and other meditation retreats.

Sivananda has written books on all the paths of yoga. Hatha, Bhakti, Karma, Kundalini, Samadhi...plus more.

Glad you found a teacher/system that's good for you.

be in peace,
Soul

Nick
Posted 2007-08-24 2:26 AM (#94907 - in reply to #94903)

I think Jessica must be joking, Jonathon, no one would seriously write a complete load of tripe like that.
Nick
Orbilia
Posted 2007-08-24 6:39 AM (#94915 - in reply to #94907)

Johnnie, you are so deliciously Baddddd!

Nick, I'm right there with you my man!

Fee

Posted 2007-08-24 7:22 AM (#94920 - in reply to #94901)

The British pot stirrers are banding together before the U.S. wakes up I see....something tells me this is gonna get ugly. You blokes need to cut Jess some slack regarding sivananda--unfortunately she hasn't yet experienced Bruce's Bikram & Brew--a new Texas tradition combining dry and hot asana with a nasty barley, malt, and hops chaser--now we're a talk'in yoga--just don't take savasana among the cactus or the kundalini in the form of a freaking rattlesnake will arise and chomp your tukus.
raquel
Posted 2007-08-24 7:52 AM (#94921 - in reply to #94901)

Bruce

But seriously jessie if sivananda isnt rooted in ego, how come its not working on you yet, ?Ok youve found something that really suits you and thats fantastic, but to blatently slag of other traditions surely must go against any true school of yoga.

Edited by raquel 2007-08-24 8:10 AM
Ravi
Posted 2007-08-24 8:56 AM (#94925 - in reply to #94901)

What brought you to Sivananda?

While I agree that Sivananda's approach is different than many I cannot accept that this the only true path......

"Truth is one, paths are many" - Swami Satchidananda

I would like to know more about your experiences.. PM me if you want

Mucho Metta,

Ravi

kulkarnn
Posted 2007-08-24 9:16 AM (#94927 - in reply to #94901)

ShalamOM:
Hurray. But, you are too excited. There have been paths before respected Shivanandaji was even born. And, he himself followed someone else's path. Actually, he brought up existing things in one place like many others did. And, those previous path followers had reached Samadhi which Swamiji himself learnt from. So, what the hxxx (ask Bruce) are you talking about?

Also, I can tell you for sure that as far as Asana Exercise practice is concerned, Shivananda Style (I do not know who created it, I am sure Swamiji will never create a style with his name.) exercises are NOT complete and definitely have lot to add from Iyengar.

In fact, I can almost state this: All other exercise styles in the world, including mine, have lot to add from the Iyengar Style Yoga Exercises. There is no question about this.

(Doubt what I say? : Swami Shivanandaji made a statement to that effect when he met the respectable BKS Iyengar. And, that time, SWami Vishnu was live.)

Peace.

Posted 2007-08-24 11:27 AM (#94947 - in reply to #94901)

Bruce, I've always thought ShalamOm was a troll and/or a teacher that had lost their path as a student.

Her last topic was "Real Yogis."

If I am wrong and it is the latter and not the former than I am glad that she has found a path. However I've been down the righteous route and the judgemental route- her posts reek of these qualities - acceptance and tolerance make for much better piece of mind.

Vic
souljourney108
Posted 2007-08-25 12:13 AM (#94991 - in reply to #94901)

Is this a kind of "gang" mentality?
If anyone feels insulted it is your ego reaction to shalomOms post.
To me she's just displaying enthusiasm.
No problems. Peace.

Be in peace,
soul

jonnie
Posted 2007-08-25 1:28 AM (#94992 - in reply to #94901)

Hi shalomOm,

I'm really sorry but I just read your reply to the 'Divine light right between you' post and realised that I confused you with YoGanesh, who was the person who posted a series of rather nasty and judgemental messages a while back.

My reply was intended for YoGanesh not you.

You haven't posted for a while, though I remember that we had many interesting discussions on ego and student issues. I look forward to discussing Sivananda with you.

Jonathon
Nick
Posted 2007-08-25 3:40 AM (#95004 - in reply to #94991)

souljourney108 - 2007-08-25 5:13 AM

No problems. Peace.

Be in peace,
soul

It's not a gang mentality at all-the post is insulting. There are ways of being enthusiastic about what you do without deriding every other form of human activity or endevour.

Nick
Cyndi
Posted 2007-08-25 9:43 AM (#95006 - in reply to #95004)

Expert Yogi

I just don't know about you guys anymore. You're suppose to know already that BIKRAM is the one true path. Geezus, how many times do we have to discuss this???
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-08-25 10:58 AM (#95008 - in reply to #95004)

I agree with Nick.

Nick - 2007-08-25 3:40 AM

souljourney108 - 2007-08-25 5:13 AM

No problems. Peace.

Be in peace,
soul

It's not a gang mentality at all-the post is insulting. There are ways of being enthusiastic about what you do without deriding every other form of human activity or endevour.

Nick

Posted 2007-08-25 6:11 PM (#95022 - in reply to #94901)

lol at bruce, cyndi.

and i, too, agree with nick. though i wasn't insulted. i simply saw. . .what's the word? fundamentalism.
planthelper
Posted 2007-08-26 1:44 AM (#95027 - in reply to #94901)

Its great to hear that you have found such light in the teachings of Sivananda shalamOM, i agree his teachings are some of the best to be found on the planet. There are many teaching to wade through on this planet until you find the truth that leads to enlightenment and I'm always glad to see someone who has put a lot of work into checking out the many paths that are out there, you sound like you truly deserve the path you have found.

Its a shame that people see your great enthusiasm as a insult to themselves, obviously these people are the ones most in need of swami Sivananda's teachings as they are so identified/attached in their egos with the path or practice they follow they take your incredible experiences and enthusiasm as a direct insult to their image or ego, maybe even some jealousy? Who can tell why people react like this or why some cannot be happy to see a fellow human find a path of truth that is unquestionably excellent is beyond me. It is truly great event in anyone's lifetime. I remember when i found the path to truth, it brings me great happiness to know someone else is feeling that feeling i felt that day.... right on sister.

I believe Osho would be proud of you, he always used to say the only way to get people *thinking* is to "disturb" them. You sure disturbed some people here (not on purpose of course) and i believe thats a gift to anyone as its a chance for them to really look at themselves and maybe evolve, looks to me that you are doing most of them a favor.

As for the gang mentality that is on this site of which i have experienced myself, unfortunately the internet can be just like the real world and if you don't conform to the majority's belief prepare to be attacked, not offered discussion in the name of reason or talked too directly but attacked or in this case talked about on your own thread like you don't exist? It reminds me of my school days ,sad but true. I will say that there are a few people that offered that like souljourney and ravi( love your work guys) but the thread was hijacked unfortunately.

heres a bit of osho to get your mind back to the path of truth jess and maybe put a smile on your face:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otGQqO2TYMI
raquel
Posted 2007-08-26 2:23 AM (#95028 - in reply to #94901)

hey planthelper, youve not been on the mushrooms again have you????
planthelper
Posted 2007-08-26 3:11 AM (#95031 - in reply to #94901)

Maybe ....much better than being on ego methinks

raquel
Posted 2007-08-26 4:52 AM (#95032 - in reply to #94901)

truth is we all need ego to function as a human being, and if you really think you havent got ego then you are delusional and the mushrooms have effected your brain,

I accept that there are many paths to nirvana my way is right for me at this time in my life, but I am not going to say every other way is wrong just because im excited about my own journey.

Each to their own.

namaste, give my regards to the elves

Edited by raquel 2007-08-26 4:53 AM
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-08-26 7:52 AM (#95045 - in reply to #95031)

planthelper - 2007-08-26 3:11 AM

Maybe ....much better than being on ego methinks

Please do not compare OSHO and Swami Shivanandaji. There is no comparison.
tourist
Posted 2007-08-26 11:01 AM (#95057 - in reply to #95045)

Expert Yogi

souljourney and planthelper - comments like telling us we are all wasting our time and suggesting (actually, blatantly stating) that none of our collective illustrious teachers have had any glimpse of self-realization are insulting. Tell me I am not enlightened and I will be fine with that, but please do not insult our teachers, all of whom I am quite sure revere and respect Sivananda's teaching.

Shalamom, I recall you were feeling very unsatisfied with your practice and teaching in the past, so I am happy to hear you have found a path that suits you, though I must admit the first thing I did when I read that post was check and see that it wasn't April Fool's Day...
souljourney108
Posted 2007-08-26 11:13 PM (#95100 - in reply to #95057)

tourist - 2007-08-27 1:01 AM

souljourney and planthelper - comments like telling us we are all wasting our time and suggesting (actually, blatantly stating) that none of our collective illustrious teachers have had any glimpse of self-realization are insulting. Tell me I am not enlightened and I will be fine with that, but please do not insult our teachers, all of whom I am quite sure revere and respect Sivananda's teaching.

.....................YES IT WAS SHALOM OM WHO SAID YOU WERE ALL WASTING YOUR TIME....

Shalamom, I recall you were feeling very unsatisfied with your practice and teaching in the past, so I am happy to hear you have found a path that suits you, though I must admit the first thing I did when I read that post was check and see that it wasn't April Fool's Day...

................YES I AM GLAD YOU ARE WISHING HER WELL EVEN THOUGH SHE SAID THAT...............

Feeling insulted causes suffering.

Feeling insulted leads to violence...(for example the Hindu & Muslim riots in India, and there are many examples in history)

Who is it who feels insulted?

It is the image of oneself, isn't that right? For example:'"I" am an ahtanga yogi...', '"My" teacher is such and such", It's ones identification of who one thinks one is that gets insulted.

May all live in peace,
Soul

kulkarnn
Posted 2007-08-27 1:10 AM (#95105 - in reply to #95100)

souljourney108 - 2007-08-26 11:13 PM

Feeling insulted causes suffering.
===> I agree with this.

Feeling insulted leads to violence...(for example the Hindu & Muslim riots in India, and there are many examples in history)
===> I disagree with this. Insult does not always lead to violence, but it may. Hindu and Muslim riot in India is not due to insult. It is due to other reasons, which I cannot discuss here unfortunately. Tomorrow, you shall say that Japanese bombed Pearl Harbour and USA felt insulted and therefore they bombed Japan. No. Japan was positively mischievous, and they were on the side of evil. Thank God, they improved later.

===> It is the mind of the person who holds some values and those values are inappropriately crossed by the influencing way. I am not saying that ShalamOM meant that. But, it may be felt that way by some. I personally was not insulted, but I felt the statements needed correction.

It is the image of oneself, isn't that right? For example:'"I" am an ahtanga yogi...', '"My" teacher is such and such", It's ones identification of who one thinks one is that gets insulted.
===> Actually, one must have a respect for their teacher. And, that is, yes, partly the image of a student. In fact, this image is extremely useful for the student to progress. In the spiritual field, that identification is MUST. When identification is complete, duality is lost, and nonduality, union occurs. If the original guru is a realized one, identification with that guru, leads to realization automatically.

May all live in peace,
Soul
===> Hey Soul. I am not necessarily crossing you out. I am only giving my comments on your statements.

planthelper
Posted 2007-08-27 1:50 AM (#95108 - in reply to #95105)

kulkarnn wrote- 2007-08-26 3:10 PM

===> I disagree with this. Insult does not always lead to violence, but it may. Hindu and Muslim riot in India is not due to insult. It is due to other reasons, which I cannot discuss here unfortunately. Tomorrow, you shall say that Japanese bombed Pearl Harbour and USA felt insulted and therefore they bombed Japan. No. Japan was positively mischievous, and they were on the side of evil. Thank God, they improved later.

No..it does not always lead to violence but it the beginning or seed planted and can only grow, the out come often being war or violence. Your idea of good and evil has no relation the the subject matter, good and evil is relative to who's side you are on. America has done as much atrocity's to this world as the Japanese did...really what is a good person but an evil person's teacher?

I will also point out kulkarn it is well known now that America knew about the Japanese approaching pearl harbor as Australian radar had tracked the fleet across the pacific ocean giving the yanks plenty of warning. Its suspected(as they will not openly admit it) that the Amercain government ignored the warnings as they needed an excuse to go to war, for what you may ask: the good of the economy ...the fact is war is good for business...all very egocentric underlying reasons still.

===> It is the mind of the person who holds some values and those values are inappropriately crossed by the influencing way. I am not saying that ShalamOM meant that. But, it may be felt that way by some. I personally was not insulted, but I felt the statements needed correction.

Needed correction in your mind only, I'm sure its just perfect for shalomOM and she has every right to her opinion, correction implies wrongness and in this field there is no right or wrong. To me its like saying to a Christian that not only you disagree their god is not god but correcting them and telling them in fact it is Krishna.

===> Actually, one must have a respect for their teacher. And, that is, yes, partly the image of a student. In fact, this image is extremely useful for the student to progress. In the spiritual field, that identification is MUST. When identification is complete, duality is lost, and nonduality, union occurs. If the original guru is a realized one, identification with that guru, leads to realization automatically.

I think your missing the point or the lesson to be learned here Kulkarn nothing has being said against not respecting your teacher and your point has nothing to do with ones image being insulted. I would go further in saying i feel that any teacher worth their salt would tell you not to be insulted by such comments and i would further recommend if your teacher is telling you to be insulted by this, please find a new teacher asap.

Kulkarn please quote me where exactly i compare Osho and Sivananda? Some times i wonder if you even reading posts properly before replying.

Edited by planthelper 2007-08-27 2:10 AM
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)