YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Why do yoga teachers charge?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

Posted 2007-08-29 12:09 PM (#95304 - in reply to #95300)
Subject: RE: Why do yoga teachers charg

raquel - 2007-08-29 11:46 AM

Zoe it sounds perfect! do you find that clients mind sharing rooms or do they prefer to be on their own?
how many people are expecting?

most of the rooms are dorm style, but they have the option of having a private room for an extra $50. so, they do have that option.

as far as i know, no one minds sharing. i am dividing sleep arrangements by sex/gender (in shared accommodation). a few people have asked for private rooms.

i'm hoping to get at least 15. right now, i have 6 signed up. next week, i start a new session of classes and the other end of my advertising comes out. so, i'm hoping that in the coming weeks, i'll get more people interested.

when my new class starts up (next week), i typically have 25-35 people signed up for each of 5 classes. so, i'm going to announce the retreat there and give them my business card so that they can access the web site.

any more than 15 is a major bonus!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2007-08-29 12:24 PM (#95307 - in reply to #95219)
Subject: RE: Why do yoga teachers charge?

Why do people think that they should not pay for yoga lessons? People pay for piano lessons, tennis lessons, Pilates lessons, math lessons, martial arts lessons, flying lessons, dance lessons, horse back riding lessons etc without complaining. If you want to learn how to do something, you need a teacher; at least at the beginning. Why do so many people think that yoga should be free? Is it because the teacher is not making it clear that they are teaching a valuable skill? Maybe yoga teachers need to emphasize that they are teaching a skill and how that skill is important in the students lives.

Of course there are also people who complain and are never satisfied. I answer them with my comment on one of the Eight Limbs: "Contentment is really enjoying what you have and not being resentful about what you don’t have. It is necessary for relaxation as well as physical and mental health. We all have the tendency to want more. If we learn to really enjoy what we have, our focus shifts from wanting (desire) to enjoying (joy)."

Zoebird, I heard a lot of joy in your description of your life with your husband.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-08-29 12:26 PM (#95308 - in reply to #95302)

And, you must head in that direction.

TampaEric - 2007-08-29 12:01 PM

I just wanted to add that I'm not anyone's guru.

I teach from a western perspective, time is money.

I actually think the problem is the reverse at our studio. As teachers we teach up to 40 students at a time, but get the same rate as the other teachers teaching 7-8 students.

If everyone of my students brought in one dollar and gave it to me. I could provide a lot more for my family.
raquel
Posted 2007-08-29 12:30 PM (#95309 - in reply to #95219)

Just checked you out, it looks wonderful. Wish I could make it. Do you plan to do yoga all day? or a couple of classes a day?

Posted 2007-08-29 12:32 PM (#95310 - in reply to #95219)

thanks jimg. i really do enjoy my life and i consider myself a very wealthy woman in more ways than financially.

Posted 2007-08-29 12:55 PM (#95312 - in reply to #95219)

raquel:

the itinerary is like this (so far):

friday:

5:00 pm registration
6:30 pm dinner
8:00 pm opening ceremony
8:30 pm camp fire
10:30 pm quiet time/bed time

saturday:

8:00 am Yoga asana and morning meditation
9:00 am breakfast
10:00 am discussion on contemplation (what is contemplation, how to do it)
10:30 am Yoga
11:30 am hike
12:30 pm lunch
1:00 pm free time (massages, hiking, reading, private yoga lessons, etc)
3:00 pm yoga
4:30 pm contemplation and discussion on contemplation topic
6:00 pm dinner
7:30 pm discussion on walking meditation and walking the labyrinth (candle-light)
8:30 pm 'free time' for more meditation walking, enjoy camp fire, reading, or documentary or inspirational films
10:00 pm evening meditation
10:30 pm quiet time/bed time

sunday:

8:00 am Yoga asana and morning meditation
9:00 am breakfast
10:00 am hike
11:00 am Yoga
12:00 pm lunch
1:00 pm closing ceremony
2:00 pm check out

this is a rough sketch of the weekend so far. i want it to be relaxing, instructive, with a comfortable pacing.
raquel
Posted 2007-08-29 1:38 PM (#95317 - in reply to #95219)

Sounds soooo relaxing, have you been doing retreats a long time?

Posted 2007-08-29 1:46 PM (#95318 - in reply to #95219)

i haven't lead a full weekend retreat by myself before.

i have assisted my teachers in the past, lead one-day retreats, lead weekend workshops (friday nite, sat, and sun), and of course classes and short workshops.

i'm really looking forward to this.

my next goal/hope is to run a 5 day advanced teacher training in New Zealand. i was teaching there in April-May of this year, and made a lot of connections. i won't be going back to that employer, but i do plan on returning to the area to lead the training for those teachers who started working with me while i was there. this will give them more continuing education opportunities. in NZ, teacher training itself is hard to come by, and advanced teacher training is nearly unheard of.

so, i'm hoping that i can get 10 people signed up for that--and i hope to lead it in Feb 08.
Jambo
Posted 2007-08-29 3:03 PM (#95326 - in reply to #95219)

The best answer I see here is "because they can" or rather, because everyone continues to pay so much. Believe me, once attendence drops, prices come down (or suddenly there are great deals to be had for yoga classes). Remember, you really are supporting the yoga studio owners life style. I'm convinced that the teachers don't make that much. With $10 classes at Yoga for the People (NYC) and Bryan Kests studio, it tells me that classes are so high because they can get away charging that much. I know I'm jaded, but the Yoga thing is really a Yuppie persuit. A studio in my area started charging $20 a class and I said "No way will I practise there" (and I make a good living! Besides the teachers there are nothing special to be charging those prices). But like everything, it's really up to you to do something about high yoga class prices. Start a co-op, rent a hall, charge $10 and give all the dough to the teacher. Or develop a new model. Hum, Radical Yogis for Yoga Class Prices Reform...! Oh yeah, I forgot, it's easier just to pay....
seeker
Posted 2007-08-30 10:09 AM (#95363 - in reply to #95326)

Jambo - 2007-08-29 3:03 PM
Remember, you really are supporting the yoga studio owners life style. I'm convinced that the teachers don't make that much.

Exactly! Blokes like Bikram have become rich, while those at the bottom sweat and struggle for a living. And these blokes, all the while advising you and me about the greatness of yoga, realization, spirituality, and what else not, have their breakfast in NY, lunch in Paris, and vacation in Bahamas.
tourist
Posted 2007-08-30 11:20 AM (#95379 - in reply to #95363)

Expert Yogi

If I were shopping for a studio, I would look for a non-profit group. Ours is run by a society and all the money goes back into scholarships, bursaries and maybe a fund for us to buy our own place someday. My home studio does support my high-flying lifestyle. That income goes straight to providing an extra couple of weeks of holidays for me in the summer. I can't afford to go anywhere, but sitting at home an enjoying a break is awfully nice
GreenJello
Posted 2007-08-30 12:44 PM (#95394 - in reply to #95379)

tourist - 2007-08-30 11:20 AM
I can't afford to go anywhere, but sitting at home an enjoying a break is awfully nice

There literally is, no where to go, nothing to do, huh?

Seriously, if you don't like how something is done on a monetary level, don't pay for it. In this society, the best way to vote is with your feet, and your wallet.

Posted 2007-08-30 2:24 PM (#95401 - in reply to #95219)

there is definitely a 'truth' to the idea that paying for classes is paying for the studio-owner's lifestyle. i do wish that more studio owners would have a better 'trickle down' to teachers.

and, i want to share this while it's only marginally related because i'm really proud of myself and it's a healing thing.

i owned a studio for a year a while back, as some might remember. anyway, i was really ashamed when i had to close it down. i blamed myself and considered myself a failure.

but my accountant actually set me straight earlier this year. after tax season, he sat down to do some business councelling with me. i didn't know how healing that could be! i recommend a good accountant for everyone!

anyway, we sat down and talked about the studio. he took away a lot of shame, because he pointed out that it was the building owner who closed the studio--not my own failure at business. he'd looked over the books that i'd kept carefully, and saw exactly what happened.

he told me that i actually broke even--financially--based on how i ran my business in the first year. he asserted that had i stayed open for the 3 yr contract of the lease, then i likely would have been able to pay myself in the second year, and then potentially make profit in the third (assuming things were growing at the rate they were and i was still careful with my money).

here was how i ran things:

1. i didn't pay myself anything. i taught 18-20 classes per week.

2. i had two teachers working for me.

2a. one teacher and i split the class income at 30-70. she got 70% as her take home. she came with her own client list.

2b. the other teacher was/is a dear friend of mine. he volunteered to help me out by teaching once a week for free. i did the basic calculation and learned that when i had 5 people in a class, i would "break even" for that class time (assuming i had five people in all the classes that i taught, plus his class, but excluding teacher 2a's class--as she was a special case).

after 5 people, we would split the income 50-50. 25 people could fit into the room. my friend could earn up to $120 per hour if we filled the classroom.

oh, and both teachers could take any classes that they wanted for free.

3. i had work study opportunities, even though these were fairly limited. honestly, i couldn't offer too many at first, or everyone would be working and no one would be paying rent on the building! LOL but, i still never turned anyone away. i had three work-study volunteers. they mostly mopped the floors for me before/after classes.

in that year, i did quite well. i paid all of my bills and i was able to pay back the starter loan (from my grandmother). my accountant was able to find a tax magic way for me to get money back because that guy didn't honor the lease--which allowed me to pay all of that money back to my grandma. i was so pleased to do that!

and, i learned that i am a good business person and that i didn't fail. i feel cleansed emotionally. and really proud of myself.

and if i had mad emoney--and i would have--it would have been nice, but it wouldn' thave been at the expense of others. i would have gladly supported more work-study people, i would have gladly paid my teachers a large portion of whatever came in. and if i made a good profit, that would be nice.

Posted 2007-08-30 3:01 PM (#95403 - in reply to #95401)

Anyone who wants to have their own studio needs to run it like a business. This starts with making sure that you have enough capital (cash) to operate for six months to a year without any profit, developing a realistic business plan, knowing what your "break-even" volume is, keeping good records and buying any expertise that you don't personally have (legal or accounting). It continues with financial forecasting, comparing actual to budget and understanding those variances, identifying and understanding your fixed and variable costs and their relationship, developing a marketing plan and monitoring it's success, advertising, tracking and understanding seasonal trends and understanding how much money you are making from each class and why. Some people excel at this and some people have difficulty. Some people are great teachers. Some people are great business people. A few are both.

Posted 2007-08-30 5:28 PM (#95407 - in reply to #95219)

this is true, jming.

and you also have to hope that the person from whom you're leasing doesn't decide to 'close the doors' 3 months after you signed your lease, or turn off the electricity (after i convinced him to stay open for at least a year) at the end of that lease-year (the term of the lease was 3 yrs), and thus leaving you 'in the lurch' because he doesn't inform you of his actions until the day before he wants to act in this way.

and, it helps if you have enough capital to fight this legally--but when compared to a trust fund baby, i wasn't able to fight it. (he kept a woman in court over a $40 that he owed her for over 3 years).

but, i was glad that i was so successful--as my accountant pointed out. he was very surprised. i do actually know this business 'pretty well.' and now i feel confident that if i opened another studio, i would do well with it.

Posted 2007-09-01 12:26 PM (#95502 - in reply to #95219)

totally cool, this. . . .

i was at the hospital with my friend/client yesterday--and her daughter is going home for a few weeks (at least) and may be able to stay home for quite a while, doing outpatient treatments! that's so great for her. she's spent the whole summer in the hospital! poor kiddo!

Posted 2007-09-01 1:14 PM (#95503 - in reply to #95407)

zoebird,
Landlord problems happen often to small businesses. If you were doing everything else right, why not try again? Were you having fun? If so, go for it!
Namaste,
Jim
planthelper
Posted 2007-09-02 4:45 AM (#95512 - in reply to #95219)

seeker wrote - 2007-08-27 2:23 AM

Isn't it unethical to charge so much to teach yoga? It's not at all necessary to charge any fee, because they'll always get donations from the students. That should be enough, and morever, this is how dharmic traditions function, and yoga is a dharmic tradition, right?

Even retreats cost a lot, one need only look at sivananda's retreat in bahamas and the rest. It's become more a vacation than serious spiritual practice.

What do members think of this?

Seeker

This is a good question seeker, as many yogi's these days are asking for a lot of money to teach yoga even though many have made much wealth out of yoga they seem unwilling to give something back. I know many yogi's that could well charge nothing for class's and still go on leading the extravagant lifestyles they lead. The question is why don't they?

Well is yoga is union and these people are teaching people to find union within themselves them are they not? Most probably not, i find most people are teaching asana not union. The harsh fact is that even asana is only available in large to the people with the money to pay as its quite obvious from the many replies in this thread that it is the general belief that yoga is a business fair and square and there is money to be made just like anything else...though I'm not sure that the many other trades compared to yoga are good justification for overcharging as those path's do not lead to union. So fine; you have to make a living and eat etc. but where does the quest for material gain end and the quest to help whoever needs it begin? Instead of doing karma yoga in Peru how bout starting at home in your own studio?

There are exceptions and you can learn yoga in return for working as many ashrams with only small amounts asked for or a teacher willing to take your money situation in consideration...but they are more the exception than the rule. We have to face that yoga is big business these days, its not something people do to help others, its something to made a living...or should i say profit out of.

It would be nice one day to see someone who has made it big of yoga to offer yoga on a donation only basis. I always thought if a teacher had reached union, they would have passed the need for material gain anyway wouldn't you think? Maybe not many teacher's actually reach union, they are just very flexible you might say.

I will say that i am lucky enough to know a teacher that offers free yoga to those who cannot pay or even offers it to those she feel can help, so they are out there if only a very few.

yoga-addict
Posted 2007-09-02 10:57 AM (#95523 - in reply to #95363)

Veteran

seeker - 2007-08-30 10:09 AM

Jambo - 2007-08-29 3:03 PM
Remember, you really are supporting the yoga studio owners life style. I'm convinced that the teachers don't make that much.

Exactly! Blokes like Bikram have become rich, while those at the bottom sweat and struggle for a living. And these blokes, all the while advising you and me about the greatness of yoga, realization, spirituality, and what else not, have their breakfast in NY, lunch in Paris, and vacation in Bahamas.

I don't understand all the head-banging and grief- what blokes are getting rich on yoga beside Bikram- who is a notable exception in the yoga world. who are you upset with? you ask a question- why do people charge to teach yoga, and you get perfectly understandable and reasonable answers:
1. yoga teachers charge money so they can pay their rent, eat, etc. just like any other person
2. it is a skill worthy of charging to teach it like any other skill
3. people assess "free"events or classes as having no worth, so it's better to give it a value and in this period cash is the preferred value.
4. Many teachers on this forum are offering sliding scales or free donations of time and effort.
But you still seem convinced that somehow you are being cheated because you have to pay for a yoga class?

Posted 2007-09-03 9:06 AM (#95550 - in reply to #95219)

jimg:

i was having fun, and likely i will do so in the future--but right now is not a great time for it. i am working on other angles of my business, though, such as having workshops and retreats. i really enjoy leading these--and look forward to leading more.
planthelper
Posted 2007-09-07 6:39 AM (#95837 - in reply to #95219)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4MwxCII3-A

Edited by planthelper 2007-09-07 6:40 AM
tourist
Posted 2007-09-07 6:35 PM (#95889 - in reply to #95837)

Expert Yogi

I really love Puppetji
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)