YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How to focus on ajna chakra?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

seeker
Posted 2007-08-28 12:36 PM (#95220)
Subject: How to focus on ajna chakra?

What does it mean to focus on the spot between the eyebrows? I've heard this many times, but it confuses me. I wonder if it's even possible, because how can one focus on a spot which one cannot observe? Am I missing something here?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
raquel
Posted 2007-08-28 2:23 PM (#95226 - in reply to #95220)
Subject: RE: How to focus on ajna chakra?

Its quite simple, you are gazing into the void in your minds eye, you can actually take your gaze there by looking towards. Try using a candle flame, (trataka) gaze at the flame, in adark room for a while with soft eyes, try not to blink, when you do close your eyes, in your minds eye you will see an image, hold onto the image for as long as you can this is in the place were your third eye is located.
seeker
Posted 2007-08-29 1:42 AM (#95270 - in reply to #95226)
Subject: RE: How to focus on ajna chakr

raquel - 2007-08-28 2:23 PM

Its quite simple, you are gazing into the void in your minds eye, you can actually take your gaze there by looking towards. Try using a candle flame, (trataka) gaze at the flame, in adark room for a while with soft eyes, try not to blink, when you do close your eyes, in your minds eye you will see an image, hold onto the image for as long as you can this is in the place were your third eye is located.

I am not sure I understand you. When I close my eyes, it's just blackness. How do I shift my consciousness to another spot, say the heart chakra, for instance, without relying on candle or such external aid?
raquel
Posted 2007-08-29 4:09 AM (#95273 - in reply to #95220)

By focusing on the area of the chest, and the breath, it all to do with body- mind connection, it is hard for some people when they first try, but with practice of internal listening (pratyahara) you will feel subtlies. I mean if I say take your awareness to your right big toe and wriggle it, you could you do it, its the same thing but you dont wriggle it
Its moving your consciousness around your body. Every cingle cell in your body has memory and you could say is mind, its called somatic intelligence, (cellular intelligence) its all connected via neural pathways, at first you will experience it on a physiological level, eventually on a pranic level. It may help to put your hand on the energy centre you want to focus on, because there are more connections from your fingers to brain than anywere else.
However as teachers we cant teach awareness, we can only give direction and tools, just like meditation it is something that the student finds for themselves with consistant practice.
seeker
Posted 2007-08-29 8:32 AM (#95277 - in reply to #95273)

raquel - 2007-08-29 4:09 AM
It may help to put your hand on the energy centre you want to focus on, because there are more connections from your fingers to brain than anywere else.
However as teachers we cant teach awareness, we can only give direction and tools, just like meditation it is something that the student finds for themselves with consistant practice.

Thank you for your enlightening views. So is it ok to place a hand on the ajna chakra and be aware of it, until we get more practice? Also, where exactly is this chakra, is it between the eyebrows, or is it at the back of the head? Most people say the psychic centers are all behind the head, but corresponding to heart, head etc. Can you please clarify this?
raquel
Posted 2007-08-30 1:40 AM (#95335 - in reply to #95220)

With ajna chakra, it is probably best to take your eyes slightly upwards rather than use your hands,. The energy centres are in line with the spine so this particular one is at the very top of your spine were the pituratry gland is located, in the centre of the eye brows, centre of head, were the indian ladies have the dot located, but its further into the skull. alwatys imagine that you are looking from the mid brain.
seeker
Posted 2007-08-30 3:50 AM (#95339 - in reply to #95335)

raquel - 2007-08-30 1:40 AM

With ajna chakra, it is probably best to take your eyes slightly upwards rather than use your hands,. The energy centres are in line with the spine so this particular one is at the very top of your spine were the pituratry gland is located, in the centre of the eye brows, centre of head, were the indian ladies have the dot located, but its further into the skull. alwatys imagine that you are looking from the mid brain.

So is it enough to close my eyes and look upwards, and focus there? Will I get a headache or squint on account of this? And I don't understand your last line, imagine that one's looking from mid brain. What's that mean? Sorry for so many qs.
raquel
Posted 2007-08-30 4:07 AM (#95340 - in reply to #95220)

its ok chill out ! it helps to relax and soften your eyes if you focus fom the middle of your head, remember your central nervous system is conncected from the brain to eyes and infact its all in some way connected, this is why you can focus your awareness anywere in your body. Try it now, first look with eyes as if youre looking directly through pupils, (acknowledge how it feels) and then imagine that your eyes are located in the centre of the brain, as if youre focusing from there, it feels entirely different. The first way you may find that that you move your head forwards
These practices are hard for some people at first, because they are not clearly tangeble, but with practice you will be able to do it easily,.

As for headaches and squinting it sounds like you may be trying to hard, meditation and yoga require patience and relaxation

Edited by raquel 2007-08-30 4:09 AM
seeker
Posted 2007-08-30 10:15 AM (#95365 - in reply to #95340)

raquel - 2007-08-30 4:07 AM
now, first look with eyes as if youre looking directly through pupils, (acknowledge how it feels) and then imagine that your eyes are located in the centre of the brain, as if youre focusing from there, it feels entirely different.

Sorry, I don't quite get it. What do you mean by center of the brain? Is it the top of the head, or the middle of the forehead?
raquel
Posted 2007-08-30 10:26 AM (#95366 - in reply to #95220)

I would guess sort of in line with the top of the ears, if you could draw a line from the top of one ear to the other the spot would be in the centre of the line. This is aproximately the top of your spine, were ajna is situated.
seeker
Posted 2007-08-30 10:34 AM (#95369 - in reply to #95366)

raquel - 2007-08-30 10:26 AM

I would guess sort of in line with the top of the ears, if you could draw a line from the top of one ear to the other the spot would be in the centre of the line. This is aproximately the top of your spine, were ajna is situated.

So it's between the two eyebrows, then. This is kriya yoga (concentrating on this spot) as taught by yogananda, I think.
raquel
Posted 2007-08-30 10:48 AM (#95372 - in reply to #95220)

I think its generally taught by most eastern meditation schools, its the place were the soul resides.

Edited by raquel 2007-08-30 10:48 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)