YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

The Yogic Diet
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

planthelper
Posted 2007-09-04 5:17 AM (#95597)
Subject: The Yogic Diet

I've been reading a lot about the bad reputation meat has within the yogic philosophy, i feel this can be slightly misleading in my own experience as here in mongolia due to its harsh climate and lack of fertile soil our main staple is sheep, cattle, camel and horse meat and dairy from these animals.

I find my diet (about 90% meat and dairy)does not affect the progress asana or my ability to to reach deep states of meditation. I feel that times that i have tried to eat a vegetarian diet as my wife has asked me to try as the yogic tradition states, this i feel has in fact weakened my core strength and blocked my rising kundalini. I believe could be very well to the fact that the Mongolian people have evolved to eat meat over a very long period of time allowing us to reach states of yogic bliss equaled to their Indian vegetarian counterparts.

So for some folk meat can be a path to union and bliss. I'm wondering how many yogi's out there that are eating meat regularly with no adverse affects to their practice....is this a common occurrence or are most yogi's strict vegetarians?

thanks

Edited by planthelper 2007-09-04 5:20 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Cyndi
Posted 2007-09-04 8:09 AM (#95604 - in reply to #95597)
Subject: RE: The Yogic Diet

Expert Yogi

Hey Planthelper,

So, how can you be a "plant" helper if you don't have any plants??

The Tibetans have these very same issues. Alot of them died when they fled to India back in the late 50's. Their bodies could not adjust to the climate and environment. It was mostly due to the heat, but according to other traditional medicines and cultures...the food you eat is really important to the relationship with the climate that you are in. For instance..when I go to a place like Florida or even Georgia, stay for several days in the high heat temps...my body starts shutting down and requires much less. I find myself eating fish and seafood only. In the wintertime here in the mountains..I eat Venison. It really screws with your kidney functions when you don't get the proper nutrition. No way would I go to Tibet or Mongolia and eat fresh salads all the time, that would be insane. Not insane because I probably could not find a fresh salad...Insane because I would freeze my butt off!!

One of my Rinpoche's used to tell me I ate grass all the time. I too have tried the vegetarian diet, it nearly killed me. Frankly I believe its all a load of BS. Some bodies are clearly designed to eat meat. You should study the Peruvian culture in South America. Their's is very similar because they have high altitudes there, even in the midst of the jungle loaded with everything...banana's, fruit, etc. In my husband's culture of Nepal, they have everything there. This is also the land that is 150% pure Hindu. The Nepalis people are not 100% vegetarian like most people think they are. They eat alot of meat. Especially the Sherpas and countryside farmers and people. So there ya go.
SCThornley
Posted 2007-09-04 10:40 AM (#95611 - in reply to #95597)

eat what you want

Swami Vishnudevananda has written extensively about the reasons not to eat meat.

Most of my life I've eaten meat, a lot of my life was spent harvesting crabs and fish from the Chesapeake Bay in Maryland.

Since March 1st of this year I've eliminated meat from my diet, and the main reason for that decision is meat tastes yucky, and makes me feel bad. I don't eat eggs. I still prepare these foods for my family, when they request them.

I still eat cheese.

I live in a land of plenty; plenty of everything in every way, and will most likely never need to consider survival or economics the motivating factor for my diet choices.

Once survival and economics are removed from the equation of food choice, it becomes a different subject altogether, as far as I see it.

Eat up.

kulkarnn
Posted 2007-09-04 1:18 PM (#95627 - in reply to #95611)

Thank you brother SCT. I shall soon cook a fantastic vegetarian meal for you.

SCThornley - 2007-09-04 10:40 AM
I live in a land of plenty; plenty of everything in every way, and will most likely never need to consider survival or economics the motivating factor for my diet choices.
up.

Posted 2007-09-04 4:17 PM (#95645 - in reply to #95597)

It is only what serves your yogic path assuming there is no self deception.
If, as you intimate, eating the amount of meat you eat AND doing your yoga practice (though we do not know what that consists of) has made you a kinder, more compassionate human, AND you are connecting more with your relationships (Self, spouse, family, others, planet) and you are bringing more light into the body then apparently meat (for you) at the rate you are ingesting it IS working.

Again, this assumes there is no self deception. Ask others if you've grown and changed in the ways mentioned. If they do not agree with your assessment then please consider their position more deeply.

As for rising kundalini I personally would not use that as a barometer of my diet, or the efficacy of my yoga practice or yoga life. But that is me and my path, not yours.

Edited by purnayoga 2007-09-04 4:17 PM

Posted 2007-09-05 9:54 AM (#95676 - in reply to #95597)

SCT: you're back! i was wunnerin' where you were.

apparently, being veg.

i agree that one should eat what one wants.

i know that veg is right for me (for spiritual reasons), and i don't think about it much at all. though, i am considering not being veg while pregnant (taking Cod Liver Oil), but i haven't decided. i do eat eggs and cheese. i was vegan for quite a while (5-6 years), and realized that it wasn't healthy for me (cholesterol ltoo low). i loved being vegan though. it was so easy.

being l/o is tougher.
SCThornley
Posted 2007-09-05 10:37 AM (#95682 - in reply to #95597)

I'm here, I've been reading mostly, but more than anything very occupied at work.

Swami Vishnudevananda wrote that any serious student of Yoga should refrain from consuming meat.

I'm trying to be that serious student. Certainly not as accomplished in asana as Swami Vishnudevananda, but he pointed towards the direction in which I know I feel best going.

Not everyone takes the same path in life, nor should we, we all have choices to make.

It is my opinion that culture is not Yoga, and culture determines eating habits for most of the population. I'm certainly no authority on the absolutes, however, in the way that I've come to perceive reality, it is quite possible to live without meat eating, for me.

Yoga, for me, has made it quite possible to live beyond my cultural upbringing.

joscmt
Posted 2007-09-05 1:23 PM (#95689 - in reply to #95597)

I think you should eat whatever makes you feel the best. For me, back in the day, I tried the Atkins diet (which I FIRMLY do not believe in).. and felt miserable. I cannot function on that much meat and fat. I feel fabulous when I eat mainly vegetarian with a little meat thrown in the mix. Beans are probably the most healthful source of protein for me- because I feel the best eating them. I think it's all about balance and what feels most authentic for you.
Funny though, I usually LOVE my veggies... and since being pregnant, there are very few that are appealing to me. It's been tough getting in my veggies lately. But I've been doing it for the health of the little one!
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-09-05 2:08 PM (#95695 - in reply to #95597)

Let me, please, throw in some ideas here:
- There is no question that a human being is biologically suited for Vegetarian Diet in general.
- However, there is also no doubt that a particular person is habituated to a given diet of veg/nonveg kind based on their surrounding, including family, and friends. And, it is not an easy to change that diet in a quick fashion, in general.
- But, whether one changes diet for health reasons OR one tries to control the passion of eating (are you kidding? no, such a passion does exist and it is stronger than other passions such as sexual.), diet change can be taken as an Ascetic Yoga Practice to control mind.
- It can almost be said that "one who has mastered their tongue (eating passion) are very close to Realization. Mastered does not mean suppression, it means proper sublimation. Sublimation of eating passion is more difficult than that of the Sexual passion.

- A Yoga Student may (or should) take up sublimation of eating passion as a Spiritual Yoga Practice. Performing Fasts (sometimes called Religious Fasts) is one important element in that direction.
Cyndi
Posted 2007-09-05 7:35 PM (#95715 - in reply to #95695)

Expert Yogi

The vegetarian diet that mostly gets discussed on this forum, is mainly related to Hatha Yoga/India Yoga. In Tibet there are plenty of yogis that are far more advanced than the Indian Yogis and are NOT vegetarian. There are no set rules about the vegetarian practice unless of course it comes from your guru. Then you must follow what your guru says. If you ain't got one....follow your inner guru and most of all...best to not kill yourself, and more importantly, your health is the most important aspect of ANY yoga practice.

Ciao,

Edited by Cyndi 2007-09-05 7:35 PM
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-09-05 11:14 PM (#95736 - in reply to #95597)

Hey Cyndiben:
What are you talking? Tibetan Yogis belong to the Buddhist path. Buddhist monks are supposed to accept any food that is offered to them. They are not supposed to eat meat on their own. Actually, they are supposed to not eat meat. When they eat as they are offered, that is not because it is good for health (actually, it is bad for health), but they eat it as a part of their injunction regardless of their knowing it is bad for health. Development of physical health is not a great part of their practice. Also, their practices of developing energy etc are not for health, but that is directed towards development of mental powers or endurance. Also, their eating meat is different from that of an average American eating at steak house or even at home. They follow many other rules and the eating of meat is not of the type and amount eaten by average american who also does not follow other things the Tibetans follow.

Also, I do not know where you got the idea that Tibetan Yogis are more advanced than Indian Yogis. What I need to know is the topic they are more advanced. a) If you are talking about Asana, there is no tibetan Yogi living now as advanced as the respected BKS Iyengar is. b) If you are talking chanting, they are but children compared to several I know from Pune in India, including myself (sorry!). c) If you are talking about Saints, there are thousands of Saints per Saint in Tibet. d) And, if you are talking about Ascetism, you should see the Kumbha Mela or a movie on it to see what they do. e) If you are talking about Philosophy, their entire philosophy is based upon that of indian Philosophy. In fact, Buddhism is considered as one recent branch of Indian Philosophy, the other two being Hinduism and Jainism. Even Jainism is older than Buddhism.

Actually, Tibetan Buddism is a direct extention of Hinduism. Either you can visit there, or watch certain documentary movies from reliable great sources such as those made by BBC, and not by Tourism Industry or Buddhist Sources of commercial kind. You shall find that they do all things Indians do. I mean pilgrimages, idol worship, chanting, pujas, applying marks on the body, fire worship, ornaments, dances, and worshiping the deities (not only Shree Buddha), etc.

Peace
Cyndi
Posted 2007-09-06 12:12 AM (#95743 - in reply to #95736)

Expert Yogi

NB,

I am not going to argue this discussion with you in relation to the Tibetans vs. Indians. I've spent quality time with BOTH and have come to my own conclusions about this and other matters. Your comments now and in the past regarding vegetarianism is biased with your Hindu background. There are many levels of even the Hindu culture and all of them are pretty much inconsistent with one another. Your analysis about the Tibetan Buddhist are not 100% completely accurate, especially when it comes to the eating meat issue. I lived with them for several years and am very in tuned to their culture along with monastery life. Your comments about Buddhism vs. Hinduism is also biased and I really don't care to get into it with you. I agree that Buddhism is a branch that stems from Hinduism, BUT, the Tibetans have taken the practice to other levels that cannot be refuted. The only persons that refute it are the Indians...which I find extremely fascinating. Oh well.

For your information, the part about physical health not being a great part of the practice...again, that is just simply not true.

As for my comments about Tibetan Yogi's being more advanced...I said "some" are more advanced. But, that's okay...not that I think anyone is trying to "compete" here....good grief. Please, I don't want to get started on the Indian culture and how they act.

For the record, the Tibetans are the only culture in the world that I would trust 150% completely with my life. I have many Tibetan friends that even when I die, they will remain forever with me. They are true blue "authentic". I can't say that about any other culture, except for Satyam.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-09-06 8:09 AM (#95752 - in reply to #95743)

===> Hurray.

Cyndi - 2007-09-06 12:12 AM

NB,

I am not going to argue this discussion with you in relation to the Tibetans vs. Indians. I've spent quality time with BOTH and have come to my own conclusions about this and other matters.
===> If there are NO two, then let us forget about 'more advanced' and focus on only the issue at hand.

Your comments now and in the past regarding vegetarianism is biased with your Hindu background. There are many levels of even the Hindu culture and all of them are pretty much inconsistent with one another.
===> Actually, that is NOT true. In my opinion, Hindu diet is NOT a healthy diet. Vegetarian does not mean good. Hindu diet which I like is vegetarian, but it is not healthy. But, of course, it is more healthy than Meat Diet. The healthy diet described in my book = Fruits, Nuts, Raw Veges and some seeds. This is not Hindu diet. Actually, I learnt it from Western Scientists. And, I am sure it is healthy diet more than Hindu diet from my experience.

Your analysis about the Tibetan Buddhist are not 100% completely accurate, especially when it comes to the eating meat issue. I lived with them for several years and am very in tuned to their culture along with monastery life.
===> It may not be 100 percent correct. But, it is what I know from many a sources including Buddhist Sources. Actually, I shall be meeting all the heads of all the Buddhist Branches in the Washington DC area on 5th October. I shall pose this question to them, I mean about the meat. However, for now, for whatever its value, see the links below:

===> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetarianism_in_Buddhism

===> http://buddhism.about.com/cs/ethics/a/Food_2.htm

===> http://online.sfsu.edu/~rone/Buddhism/BuddhismAnimalsVegetarian/BuddhistVegetarian.htm#Buddhist%20Scriptures%20on

ETC.

Your comments about Buddhism vs. Hinduism is also biased and I really don't care to get into it with you. I agree that Buddhism is a branch that stems from Hinduism, BUT, the Tibetans have taken the practice to other levels that cannot be refuted. The only persons that refute it are the Indians...which I find extremely fascinating. Oh well.
===> Actually, Tibetans have not taken the practice to another level. They have only changed the methods of practice from one kind to another. And, also Tibetan Monks are much more ascetic as compared to current Hindu monks in general. And, therefore, for Westerners who are not used to that kind of practice, Tibetan practice looks more profound (which it is). And, since the methods are different in the sense of using the idol worship in a way different from those of Indians, their practice looks like less idolatry. But, it is actually same.

For your information, the part about physical health not being a great part of the practice...again, that is just simply not true.
===> What I meant is : Their practice is not geared like today's HathaYoga Practice, for example the one you get in Bikram Yoga! For flexibility, weightloss, addressing the therapeutic issues and all. Their practice involves more celibacy, meditation, prayers, etc. These things also have profound effect on health, but that is not related to Yogic Diet as such.

As for my comments about Tibetan Yogi's being more advanced...I said "some" are more advanced. But, that's okay...not that I think anyone is trying to "compete" here....good grief. Please, I don't want to get started on the Indian culture and how they act.

===> Thank you. Do not worry. When I meet a Buddhist Monk, I always bow down completely. i do not call him Buddhist Monk. I call him a Monk.

For the record, the Tibetans are the only culture in the world that I would trust 150% completely with my life. I have many Tibetan friends that even when I die, they will remain forever with me. They are true blue "authentic". I can't say that about any other culture, except for Satyam.

===> I like that. But, that does not have much to do with Yogic Diet, I believe.

===> Actually, since I am now ready, I want to make a new statement:

Yogic Diet does not mean Vegetarian Diet. Yogic Diet means a diet suitable for Yoga. Now, one has to decide what Yoga means to them. If it means Physical Health in general, there is no question Vegetarian Diet is the best. This has been proven by American and other scientific institutions of physical health, and also the population in general, if one sees the statistics of physical health and disease. If it means, lack of certain vitamins, yes, one can extract them from meat and have them. If it means spiritual practice, one has to know what that means and what kind of diet can fit into that practice. For example, hunting an animal themselves and eating, buying an already killed hunt and eating them, buying animals raised for eating and eating them, or accepting what is offered as alms being a monk, etc.

Cyndi
Posted 2007-09-06 8:23 AM (#95755 - in reply to #95752)

Expert Yogi

kulkarnn - 2007-09-06 8:09 AM

If it means Physical Health in general, there is no question Vegetarian Diet is the best. This has been proven by American and other scientific institutions of physical health, and also the population in general, if one sees the statistics of physical health and disease.

See, this is where you are wrong Neel. The vegetarian diet is NOT proven to be the best. In fact, the vegetarian diet has been questionable and some scientific institutions still claim it can be very harmful. In Traditional Chinese Medicine, a vegetarian diet is not for every BODY. The Pediatric Medical Board here in the USA, definitely feels it is very unhealthy for children to be vegetarian.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-09-06 10:23 AM (#95763 - in reply to #95755)

CB: Are you kidding? Please see the following. Most of the propaganda in the favor of Non Vegetarian Diet is due to a) business and b) previous habits as per my original response in this thread. Even the meat eating healthy traditions such as those in Tibet, etc. eat mostly vegetarian and less Non Vegetarian. The ones in Alaska and such who eat more meat are doomed as far as health is concerned.

1. http://www.mypyramid.gov/tips_resources/vegetarian_diets.html

2. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/vegetarian-diet/HQ01596

3. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/diabetes/AN00845

4. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/vegetariandiet.html#cat29

5. http://www.vegsource.com/harris/cancer_vegdiet.htm

6. http://www.vegetarian-nutrition.info/updates/vegetarian_diets_health_benefits.php

7. http://www.fda.gov/Fdac/features/895_vegdiet.html

8. http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/78/3/502S

9. http://www.thechinastudy.com/praise.html

10. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegan

Cyndi - 2007-09-06 8:23 AM

kulkarnn - 2007-09-06 8:09 AM

If it means Physical Health in general, there is no question Vegetarian Diet is the best. This has been proven by American and other scientific institutions of physical health, and also the population in general, if one sees the statistics of physical health and disease.

See, this is where you are wrong Neel. The vegetarian diet is NOT proven to be the best. In fact, the vegetarian diet has been questionable and some scientific institutions still claim it can be very harmful. In Traditional Chinese Medicine, a vegetarian diet is not for every BODY. The Pediatric Medical Board here in the USA, definitely feels it is very unhealthy for children to be vegetarian.
jonnie
Posted 2007-09-06 10:36 AM (#95765 - in reply to #95597)

Show me a scientific report that 'proves' that a meat diet is more healthy than a non meat diet and I'll show you a scientist that is on the payroll of the meat industry.

Whenever considering the findings of any 'research study' it is important to first research who commissioned the study in the first place.

Jonathon
bstqltmkr
Posted 2007-09-06 10:57 AM (#95769 - in reply to #95597)

Neel, I have to say I can't agree with what you mentioned about the Alaskan people. I believe the native Alaskan societies evolved eating that certain diet, it's in their DNA. I believe people should eat more like their ancestors ate before the industrial revolution, and fast food was commercialised and advirtised. I was vegetarian for more than ten years, I enjoyed it, and I have to admit I was proud of it. Unfortunately my I didn't feel I was getting enough omega threes no matter how much nuts and seeds I ate. I had to add fish back into my diet. Fish was a big food source for my ancestors. My eyes were so relieved when I added some fish back into my diet. I felt bad about it, and guilty, but my eyes feel so much better. Now I eat sardines about once every ten days, and I can't feel bad about it. I have to take care of myself. I only wish our river here were still clean so I could go back to the original food source. Oh well, Shelly
Cyndi
Posted 2007-09-06 11:12 AM (#95771 - in reply to #95769)

Expert Yogi

Actually, NO, I am NOT KIDDING. All the data that you've submitted Neel is not 100% accurate in relation to the actual reports and findings that have actually been done regarding vegetariansm. Internet information and data is certainly not conclusive and has no quality to it. I would never rely on any of those sources that you provided. Wikepedia??? Come on, give me a break!

Jonnie, I'm sure there is some truth to what you said, however, it's not the "ultimate" truth where meat vs. vegetarians is concerned. Not everyone pays attention to the Association of Meat Manufacturers or whatever...I make my own decisions about meat and what I choose to eat. I make very good choices BTW, regarding where my meat comes from, how it was killed, prepared, stored and the hands of who it came from.

Anyway, we can argue about this till the cows come home and it will never solve anything. I'm very satisfied with the choices I've made relating to my diet. I'm NOT satisfied however from listening to others claims about the vegetarian practice, because it really screwed up my health for many years. Thanks, but no thanks. I really get irritated when people give out false information about vegetariansm where Yoga is concerned.

Shelly, one thing I'll never take away from my diet...Wild Caught Salmon. That is my number one meat item. Shrimp and Clams are the second and third selections of seafood. Course, some people will argue with you and tell you Clams don't have any feelings...it's scientific that there are certain cells missing in their DNA or whatever and they cannot feel the pain of dying. Kinda good for us Buddhists and Yogis huh???
bstqltmkr
Posted 2007-09-06 11:18 AM (#95773 - in reply to #95597)

If they can't feel pain, does that mean they can't feel joy either?
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-09-06 11:46 AM (#95775 - in reply to #95769)

Dear Shelly:
I am not criticizing Alaskans. I am just stating that the Vegetarian traditions actually live longer and healthier in the Human Species in general, NOT in particular cases. If you see my previous posts, Alaskans eat meat diet because of geography, availability, etc. They have evolved due to that. If they had access to plenty of fruits and veges in their environment, they would have eaten that. Also, as for eating what ancestors eat is also covered by my posts, if you see, that the diet depends on one's background. And, I also stated that Vegetarian Diet is the best in general. In particular case, one may extract an element from a non vegetarian diet if they choose do so, for a particular nutrient or reason. This is done by you in case of Omega Acids.

However, what you have done is not with the relation of Yogic Diet. Yogic Diet means a Diet which is aligned with the Yogic philsophy of that individual. In this case, a fish may or may not fit depending on the internal philosophy. For example, there can be another individual (such as myself!) who will let the eyes get sacrificed if there is no other source of Omega than the fish. ETC.

I am not dictating Vegetarian Diet as a Religion. I am stating that a) in general it is the best diet for humans. Same as in general Meat is the best diet for carnivores. b) Yogic Diet term is NOT same as Diet for Physical Health. c) And, Physical Health perfection does not mean Yoga.

Peace.

bstqltmkr - 2007-09-06 10:57 AM

Neel, I have to say I can't agree with what you mentioned about the Alaskan people. I believe the native Alaskan societies evolved eating that certain diet, it's in their DNA. I believe people should eat more like their ancestors ate before the industrial revolution, and fast food was commercialised and advirtised. I was vegetarian for more than ten years, I enjoyed it, and I have to admit I was proud of it. Unfortunately my I didn't feel I was getting enough omega threes no matter how much nuts and seeds I ate. I had to add fish back into my diet. Fish was a big food source for my ancestors. My eyes were so relieved when I added some fish back into my diet. I felt bad about it, and guilty, but my eyes feel so much better. Now I eat sardines about once every ten days, and I can't feel bad about it. I have to take care of myself. I only wish our river here were still clean so I could go back to the original food source. Oh well, Shelly
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-09-06 11:53 AM (#95776 - in reply to #95771)

Dear CB:

Cyndi - 2007-09-06 11:12 AM

Actually, NO, I am NOT KIDDING. All the data that you've submitted Neel is not 100% accurate in relation to the actual reports and findings that have actually been done regarding vegetariansm. Internet information and data is certainly not conclusive and has no quality to it. I would never rely on any of those sources that you provided. Wikepedia??? Come on, give me a break!
===> I have not quoted only Wikipedia. I quoted 10 of them. I can quote at least another 50. All of them can not be total bluff. I am not saying they are 100 percent correct. You can not say that Meat Propenent reports are 100 percent correct, either. But, these reports do point in certain direction, based on groups, NOT individuals. And, there are medical men, health men, Department of Agriculture, etc in them.

Jonnie, I'm sure there is some truth to what you said, however, it's not the "ultimate" truth where meat vs. vegetarians is concerned. Not everyone pays attention to the Association of Meat Manufacturers or whatever...I make my own decisions about meat and what I choose to eat. I make very good choices BTW, regarding where my meat comes from, how it was killed, prepared, stored and the hands of who it came from.
Anyway, we can argue about this till the cows come home and it will never solve anything. I'm very satisfied with the choices I've made relating to my diet. I'm NOT satisfied however from listening to others claims about the vegetarian practice, because it really screwed up my health for many years. Thanks, but no thanks. I really get irritated when people give out false information about vegetariansm where Yoga is concerned.

===> As for Individual, one can make whatever choices they want, they feel good for themselves. But, they are not general truths. Or, average truths. In general, Vegetarianism is better than Non Vegetarianism. And, that is why Dear Shelly went back to choose only a couple of items which she needed to add, while leaving all other meat still away. Is that correct Shelly?

Shelly, one thing I'll never take away from my diet...Wild Caught Salmon. That is my number one meat item. Shrimp and Clams are the second and third selections of seafood. Course, some people will argue with you and tell you Clams don't have any feelings...it's scientific that there are certain cells missing in their DNA or whatever and they cannot feel the pain of dying. Kinda good for us Buddhists and Yogis huh???
SCThornley
Posted 2007-09-06 3:28 PM (#95790 - in reply to #95597)

the weird thing, for me, is physical health is only one part of my decision to not want to eat meat any longer.

I remember having great enjoyment from the physical pleasure of enjoyment from food consumption, but as time goes on it just seems such an empty pleasure and totally unsatisfactory.

I totally get why certain folks 'must' eat the way they do, whether it is a heavily barley based diet, or meat, whatever, I get it.

Once you've met all your needs, though, do you imagine that folks can base diet choices on something other than tradition, physical health, and pleasure?

What sort of Yogi, Yogini would we be if we promoted sensual pleasures of food consumption?

I'm guilty of enjoying coffee, I admit to that, and I've promoted that, I'm guilty of that as well, so I state that to try to portray the reality that I'm not trying to be on a soap box.

All that being said, what we put into our bodies is a very important decision for the serious Yoga student, I'm quoting Swami Vishnudevananda here, and by any measure I'd say that he was a rather 'advanced' Yogi.

well, maybe not a direct quote

ehh, whatever, I'm not trying to change anybody else, but I think eating meat and meat as food in general is kinda yucky.

Edited by SCThornley 2007-09-06 3:31 PM
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-09-06 5:11 PM (#95796 - in reply to #95790)

Swami Vishnudevananda = A star of Yogis in the 20th Century! OM shree vishnudevanandaaya namaH.

SCThornley - 2007-09-06 3:28 PM

the weird thing, for me, is physical health is only one part of my decision to not want to eat meat any longer.

I remember having great enjoyment from the physical pleasure of enjoyment from food consumption, but as time goes on it just seems such an empty pleasure and totally unsatisfactory.

I totally get why certain folks 'must' eat the way they do, whether it is a heavily barley based diet, or meat, whatever, I get it.

Once you've met all your needs, though, do you imagine that folks can base diet choices on something other than tradition, physical health, and pleasure?

What sort of Yogi, Yogini would we be if we promoted sensual pleasures of food consumption?

I'm guilty of enjoying coffee, I admit to that, and I've promoted that, I'm guilty of that as well, so I state that to try to portray the reality that I'm not trying to be on a soap box.

All that being said, what we put into our bodies is a very important decision for the serious Yoga student, I'm quoting Swami Vishnudevananda here, and by any measure I'd say that he was a rather 'advanced' Yogi.

well, maybe not a direct quote

ehh, whatever, I'm not trying to change anybody else, but I think eating meat and meat as food in general is kinda yucky.
Cyndi
Posted 2007-09-06 5:46 PM (#95800 - in reply to #95796)

Expert Yogi

I am so over this vegetarian issue and I'm especially over the mentality of "superiority" that comes across when this subject is discussed....I just wanted to add a couple of thing here.

One of the things that I learned from my Tibetan Buddhists pals, guru's - Tibetan and Indian ones alike, and monks was this. Food is not a big issue, your health is. Living the SIMPLE life is the key to being a yogi. If you live in an area that does not support the vegetarian lifestyle, like the original poster of this thread, the Tibetan culture, and even our own N. American culture - there are so many facets to what supports a vegetarian lifestyle...it really doesn't matter, it's how you cultivate your thoughts and the SIMPLICITY of your life and environment.

The interesting part of all is that Tibetans won't touch fish. It takes many lives to feed 100 people if you're going to eat fish. It takes one Yak to feed several 100 people...which equals only 1 life.

Also, I come from an area here in the deep south where it's not unheard of to live to be 100+ years old. The people that have lived this long all contribute their good health to SIMPLICITY. I've seen smokers, meat eaters, you name it. In fact, most of them eat fried soul food and/or again, they have SIMPLE diets. They all had this one little thing in common - SIMPLE. So, please do not insult my intelligence and tell me that Vegetarianism is the Best diet, because it is simply NOT true. Have a good day.

Posted 2007-09-06 5:48 PM (#95801 - in reply to #95597)

what we put into our bodies is a very important decision for the serious Yoga student

i think that anyone who thinks of their body as a sacred and holy place and something that is a beautiful and holy instrument in this special, material world in which we live, then the process is very serious.

for a student who would-be vegetarian, i think it is also important that those vegetarian meals are health-full, because many vegetarians are "junk food" vegetarians--eating many processed foods and/or foods from sources that are not healthy for themselves, the environment, the community, etc.

even if a student chooses to not be vegetarian, the same ideas apply. what foods are chosen (including meat in such a case) is important, as is where those foods come from, what they're 'made' of, and the impact of those processes on the individual and the world at large.

when neel said 'how tibetan monks eat meat is different than an american going to the steak house' i saw this very truth in it. it IS different. and, my husband, while no tibetan monk in regards to his food (nor is he under any such specific requirements), even the way he eats meat is different than the typical person going to a steak house. he is very particular about sourcing his meat and meat-related products.

while i personally take no issue with one being vegetarian or not (obviously), i think that the diet should be seriously considered, and if it is not taken up, then the same consideration should be applied to the omnivorous diet--such that the individual is choosing as conscientiously as possible.

to me, this is the real practice in the 'yoga' sense. it's about what is happening between mind and spirit.

Edited by zoebird 2007-09-06 5:51 PM
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)