YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Urban Yoga Retreats
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga WorkshopsMessage format

yogainargentina
Posted 2007-09-06 11:06 AM (#95770)
Subject: Urban Yoga Retreats

I'm opening a new studio in Buenos Aires and am considering offering some different 'Urban' Yoga vacation packages. I've been trying to look for some that may already be offered in the states or in Europe, but seem to only be able to find the more beachy yoga retreats.

Can anyone suggest?

Also, do you think there would be interest in such a thing?

Thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2007-09-06 1:08 PM (#95781 - in reply to #95770)
Subject: RE: Urban Yoga Retreats

I were going to travel someplace for a yoga retreat/vacation, I would be much more inclined to go someplace either beachy or closer to nature (woods, mountains, etc.) - not someplace urban. Maybe that's just me, but I suspect many more people feel that way than not, and that's why that's what you find.

Maybe also, people organizing the retreats would rather go those places too? ;)
yogainargentina
Posted 2007-09-06 1:39 PM (#95786 - in reply to #95781)

Thanks for the reply aystam.

I agree with you that beach-style retreat/vacations are going to have more appeal to a lot of people, but I think there may be some who are interested in truelly combining the experience of vacationing in an exciting foreign city while broadening their yoga experiences at the same time.

This is where the idea was born.

Posted 2007-09-06 2:57 PM (#95788 - in reply to #95770)

One example of something urban, though not really a retreat or a good comparison to what you're thinking of, would be some of the Yoga Journal conferences like San Francisco or Boston. These are cities with relatively large populations of likely attendees, as well as easy to drive or fly to for many others. I suspect people are most attracted by the range of offerings and popular instructors at these things, as well as the opportunity to immerse themselves in it. I'm sure the attractions of those cities are appealing to many folks who visit, but I don't think they're the main thing that gets them there.

There are some weekend retreat/workshops here (Boston) that people seem to travel to from some distance, and I'm sure some enjoy the city as part of their trip. But the workshops people travel for have pretty well known instructors, again I think that is the main draw.

I don't know how far you're planning to get people from. I guess what I'm saying is, the further people need to travel, and the longer the time involved, the greater the expense - the better the reason they need to have to do it. Either a well known instructor, or a place they'd like to go anyway if it turns out they don't like what they're getting from the retreat itself, or whatever else will make it worth their while.
diyyogini
Posted 2008-01-12 2:45 PM (#101885 - in reply to #95770)

I know the urban retreats are successful for the people who live in the city. With the cost of travel, more and more people are looking at these retreats that don't involve a plane ride.

However, on a personal note, as someone who is a huge fan of tango (albeit still a beginner-level dancer) a yoga retreat in B.A. that offers tango lessons and excursions would be intriguing to me.

Heck, if you ever want a guest instructor to come down and lead portions of it, please contact me, as Argentina, and specifically B.A. is on the short list of places I'm really eager to visit.

Good luck.
Orbilia
Posted 2008-01-14 5:19 AM (#101935 - in reply to #101885)

As someone who doesn't drive and would prefer not spending hours in a taxi, bus, or train after landing, I'd say urban retreats are a good idea. Including optional trips to local sights would be a good idea.

I've seen retreats (in general) offered where there's other activites offered too. Combinations I've seen include, vegetarian cookery classes, salsa dancing, and diving. The retreat I'm doing over Easter in Dahab has en-wave classes the second week (http://www.en-wave.com/).

Fee
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)