YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Expert Yogi?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

souljourney108
Posted 2007-09-08 9:14 PM (#95934)
Subject: Expert Yogi?

Can we get rid of the 'Expert Yogi' and all the other titles here on this forum. If I was to have posted 5000 posts, I wouldn't want to be labeled an expert yogi. I don't want to be labeled "veteran".
I think this can be misleading to new people on the forum. Just because someone has posted many times or has been writing in this forum for years, does not mean they are an expert. In fact some , as I can see it, think they know everything and others don't know anything. They have made themselves 'leader of the pack'. Yoga is equality. Union. There are no leaders here.
This sort of labeling is based in ego. Yoga is about sublimating the ego. Someone who has written one post may have more understanding than one who has posted a thousand times.
Isn't yoga about getting rid of illusory labels?
It may be intended to be funny, but people from different countries may have a different sense of humor and not get it. And the ones who have the labels take them far too seriously, from what i can see.
What do other people think?

I say no labels.

be in peace,
Soul
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Ravi
Posted 2007-09-08 9:49 PM (#95936 - in reply to #95934)
Subject: RE: Expert Yogi?

I disabled that feature from my profile long ago.......... my ego didn't need to be stroked anymore

Posted 2007-09-08 11:17 PM (#95938 - in reply to #95934)

Just because something is old doesn't make it good.
I disabled my "label" a long time ago as well. It's a feature in the users preferences.
jonnie
Posted 2007-09-08 11:49 PM (#95939 - in reply to #95934)

I wondered how you did that.

Jonathon
jonnie
Posted 2007-09-08 11:53 PM (#95940 - in reply to #95934)

Sorry, I can't find it in user preferences. Any tips please.
planthelper
Posted 2007-09-09 12:41 AM (#95941 - in reply to #95934)

This is a very valid point, ego inflation is not yoga.

I would rather have no labels also, this implies a level of equality and oneness which is far better than levels or ranks.

Yes so how does one delabel oneself, not that i have a label atm..... thankfully i am currently unworthy of even labeling in the current system but i would like to know how to stop it for future reference. Its not clear on my control panel , is it "show post count"?

"Naming is a necessity for order,
but naming can not order all things.
Naming often makes things impersonal,
so we should know when naming should end.
Knowing when to stop naming,
you can avoid the pitfall it brings."

-Lao Tzu

kulkarnn
Posted 2007-09-09 12:54 AM (#95944 - in reply to #95934)

As for me: I never thought of the title in the past. I only looked at number of post because there are coloured stars there. So, for me keeping lable and not keeping lables are the same. Neither that has inflated my ego nor my post should be read because I posted certain number of posts.

Of course, I do not know how one becomes expert yogi by increasing number of posts. So, I guess the definition itself is wrong. And, therefore the Definition should be spelt out or the lables removed.

But, with that logic, number of posts should also be removed and coloured stars should be removed.
Ravi
Posted 2007-09-09 8:28 AM (#95959 - in reply to #95940)

jonnie - 2007-09-08 11:53 PM Sorry, I can't find it in user preferences. Any tips please.
In the control panel there is a drop down box where it asks if you want to hide your post count... default is no, all you need to do to disable this feature is click it to yes.......

Metta,

Ravi

OrangeMat
Posted 2007-09-09 8:40 AM (#95961 - in reply to #95959)

Thanks Ravi. That arbitrary title (as if quantity were any way of determining quality) always bothered me as well.
Cyndi
Posted 2007-09-09 8:52 AM (#95962 - in reply to #95961)

Expert Yogi

You know what?..... I worked too damed hard to get to my status of expert yogi. Do you know how many posts I had to type to get there???!! Come on you guys!!

Ya'll are taking this way too seriously, and remember...we are suppose to be having loads of fun here. Lighten up puleeze.

For what it's worth...the bee forum I'm on has a similar thing...they have worker bees and field bees. I'm a field bee now, Which is why I call myself...Cyndibee. It's on my license plate tag and totally official. I should of gotten a license plate that said ExpertYogi...but that's way too many letters.
jonnie
Posted 2007-09-09 10:02 AM (#95969 - in reply to #95936)

Ravi - 2007-09-09 5:49 AM

I disabled that feature from my profile long ago.......... my ego didn't need to be stroked anymore

Thanks Ravi,

Please tell me that this is not a picture of you on your new avatar.

Jonathon
GreenJello
Posted 2007-09-09 10:37 AM (#95972 - in reply to #95934)

Cool, I've been wondering about that. I've never been fond of being called and expert yogis just because of the number of posts. I think that veteran, or forum old timer is a better explanation. However, I agree with Neel, I never really gave it much thought, because I knew that posts really didn't make one a great yogi. (Unless you're always full of great advice, like a number of our vets.)
tourist
Posted 2007-09-09 10:42 AM (#95973 - in reply to #95969)

Expert Yogi

Aha - so you can delete the title and keep the post count - I learn something new every day. I really don't care about the titles but the post counts are very informative to me as a moderator. Anyone have any ideas of different titles we could use?

Posted 2007-09-09 10:51 AM (#95975 - in reply to #95934)

i don't even look at it or think about it. and i have no clue how to disable it anyway. i mean, i can't even get an avatar up there.
Orbilia
Posted 2007-09-10 7:02 AM (#96002 - in reply to #95975)

I've never taken it for anything other than a bit of fun. I'm open to changing the role names to clarify things but I wouldn't want to see it go completely (worked my typist's fingers to the bone, I have :-) )

Fee
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)