YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Emotional opening
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

Musa08
Posted 2007-09-11 6:18 AM (#96053)
Subject: Emotional opening

What are the best Yoga poses for opening up emotionally?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Ravi
Posted 2007-09-11 7:37 AM (#96054 - in reply to #96053)
Subject: RE: Emotional opening

Om,

You will find that any pose that works the hips...... i.e. Kapotasana (pidgeon pose), Bhekasana (frog pose), Trikonasana (triangle) just to name a couple........

Please be aware, that as I have seen in my experience when there is an emotional release, the floodgates will open.

Metta,

Ravi

jonnie
Posted 2007-09-11 8:08 AM (#96055 - in reply to #96053)

Sit in lotus and then watch 'Steel Magnolias'.

If that won't do it, then nothing will.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-09-11 9:50 AM (#96068 - in reply to #96053)

I do not understand this question.

Musa08 - 2007-09-11 6:18 AM

Ravi
Posted 2007-09-11 12:15 PM (#96077 - in reply to #96053)

Om Neelji,

I have seen people experience a overwhelming release of a their emotions in several instances when the hips really start to open up.........

From what I was told and taught, that the hips are one of the problem areas that residual and stored emotions are prone to be stored .... once a person starts to open this area up... all of these emotions come flooding in

Metta,

Ravi

Edited by Ravi 2007-09-11 12:16 PM

Posted 2007-09-11 1:32 PM (#96078 - in reply to #96053)

There are no "best" yoga poses to open up emotionally. Each person is unique in their physiology, their history, their coping and thus their emotional storage varies. Some people write more to their pelvic while others withdraw their heart. It would be foolish for me as a teacher to tell YOU where you would have release.

And frankly it is only the wwillingness to release rather than the actual pursuit or seeking of it that manifests the release itself.

You will have to discover what poses peel the onion of you for you.
Though generally speaking it is the deeper parts of the body where the emotions really hold. So you are more likely to have such en experience working the psoas than you would working the gastrocnemius.
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-09-11 1:48 PM (#96079 - in reply to #96078)

Fantastic Statement!!! Hey Purna, I request you to change your avataar to something Divine. Something to match this kind of fantastic wisdom.

purnayoga - 2007-09-11 1:32 PM

And frankly it is only the wwillingness to release rather than the actual pursuit or seeking of it that manifests the release itself.
TampaEric
Posted 2007-09-11 3:06 PM (#96083 - in reply to #96078)

yes, i agree with this.

For some people inversions.

I had my "emotional opening" chanting.. so it's very individual.

Posted 2007-09-11 4:17 PM (#96087 - in reply to #96079)

All avatars are yoga. However, I will consider your request.
It is the Law of Duality. Contradictory but comlementary avatars.

kulkarnn - 2007-09-11 10:48 AM

Fantastic Statement!!! Hey Purna, I request you to change your avataar to something Divine. Something to match this kind of fantastic wisdom.

purnayoga - 2007-09-11 1:32 PM

Ravi
Posted 2007-09-11 4:48 PM (#96088 - in reply to #96053)

http://yoga.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=25612&posts=1
joscmt
Posted 2007-09-11 10:30 PM (#96097 - in reply to #96053)

Gordon- FWIW- I love your avatar.. I don't quite associate it with you yet, I got used to the serious guy you had before.

Ravi- for me, it's hip openers. I had a crazy experience last year at the conference I went to. I inadvertently signed up for three hip opening workshops- one was inversions (which they started with an hour of hip openers), one was Shiva Rea's Fluid Power, and the other was Arm Balances..
Anyhoo, Shiva Rea's was the third of these and I completely broke down into tears by the end of the practice. I hadn't realized that I was still grieving my miscarriage earlier in the year. I thought I had let it go... and I hadn't. I left after that workshop, went back to my room and cried and cried. It was such a HUGE release for me. I've heard that you hold anger and grief in your hips.. anger I don't know about.. but I was definitely holding on to some grief

Posted 2007-09-11 11:54 PM (#96099 - in reply to #96097)

Dana suggested I needed something friendlier and like any good yogi I had to consider her position and statement. This one actually looks like me while the other is Booker T. Washington. Seems he hardly smiled. Then again, what was there to smile about?

I felt his stance on education reflected my own.
Now it is time to move on.

joscmt - 2007-09-11 7:30 PM

Gordon- FWIW- I love your avatar.. I don't quite associate it with you yet, I got used to the serious guy you had before.
planthelper
Posted 2007-09-12 2:11 AM (#96102 - in reply to #96053)

Musa08 - 2007-09-10 8:18 PM

Asana opening emotions are a myth, the root of emotions are of the mind. Understand the workings of the mind you will understand your emotional reactions. Don't buy into this "Asana can cure you emotionally" even if you get some effect these are only are bandade solutions. Its a waste of time ....... prevention is far better than the cure.

Edited by planthelper 2007-09-12 2:14 AM
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-09-12 7:23 AM (#96105 - in reply to #96053)

Backbends, hip openers, throat openers.... basically anything that opens me, well, opens me.
bstqltmkr
Posted 2007-09-12 8:12 AM (#96106 - in reply to #96053)

For me chest openers are also good, camel, fish, and a double whammy, pigeon, opening hips and chest. I agree with Purna though that you have to be willing to release.
joscmt
Posted 2007-09-12 8:42 AM (#96107 - in reply to #96053)

I definitely agree with needing to be willing to have a release.. that's for sure!

gordon- Ahhhh... Booker T Washington.. all along I was wondering who that was. Guess I could have asked, huh?
You new one seems right in the middle of the other two.. a good fit, I think
joscmt
Posted 2007-09-12 8:48 AM (#96108 - in reply to #96053)

In the spirit of new avatars... I've updated my pic of my cowfish, Tex... he's a big boy now!
planthelper
Posted 2007-09-13 1:53 AM (#96142 - in reply to #96053)

Yes! its is the 'willing' that is essential in emotional releases....and not much to do with any activity, If it is in fact the will that releases emotion; you could do it anywhere, even on the toilet.
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-09-13 6:31 AM (#96143 - in reply to #96142)

planthelper - 2007-09-13 1:53 AM Yes! its is the 'willing' that is essential in emotional releases....and not much to do with any activity, If it is in fact the will that releases emotion; you could do it anywhere, even on the toilet.

True, while willingness is an essential ingredient toward achieving an emotional release, for many of us, that may not be enough. Just wanting something and being open to it doesn't automatically cause it to happen. It's with this perspective that I consider the body to be the gateway toward facilitating an emotional release -- again, not for all people, but for many. It may sound like splitting hairs, but I believe this to be a big distinction. Just assuming the attitude of willingness can be very difficult as a total abstraction to the physical. Then again, for some people, the "physical" act of "softening" is inaccessible to them as well. I'm not saying it's a chicken and the egg sort of scenario, but that both elements, physical access and attitude of willingness (i.e. opening to grace) are necessary for the type of opening we're discussing here. They're each both chicken and egg at the same time. Consolidation of opposites into one. Yoga.

joscmt
Posted 2007-09-13 8:31 AM (#96152 - in reply to #96053)

Amen OM!

Edited by joscmt 2007-09-13 8:31 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)